Sponsored by:

windshield replaced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 07:39 PM

Received 109 Likes on 77 Posts
'16 CLS63S
windshield replaced

Took a huge chunk of concrete to the windshield and needed a replacement. Gieco's full glass coverage only covers up to $848 for parts/labor. Since Geico partners with safelite obviously they want you to use them but you have the choice to use whoever you want with the $848 cap. If you use safelite then there is no out of pocket expense to the customer. MB dealer wants close to 1600$. Gieco also wont allow OEM glass unless the customer pays the difference OR if it is determined that OEM glass must be used because aftermarket glass is causing issues with lane keeping assist/rain sensors etc. to work properly. But even then, aftermarket must be installed first, the calibration must be unsuccessful and only then will OEM glass be authorized for a second installation with no additional payment to the customer.

Not being a fan of safelite I still agreed to let them do the install to avoid the out of pocket. Upon inspection its pretty clear the windshield was not positioned perfectly because you can clearly see the gap on one side. The small gap itself doesn't bother me but my concern is water leakage. Does anyone know if that small area is supposed to be a water tight seal? Meaning, does that small vertical piece of rubber fully prevent water from entering?

Old 11-18-2019, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 693 Likes on 472 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
I doubt it would leak as it is fully glued in but being not properly positioned the glue may not have anything to adhere to if off by a bit. I would make them take that out and do it right for sure that is terrible quality work.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:05 PM

'16 CLS63S
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
I doubt it would leak as it is fully glued in but being not properly positioned the glue may not have anything to adhere to if off by a bit. I would make them take that out and do it right for sure that is terrible quality work.
With something like this you just have to wait and see if it leaks to know there's a problem. Ill make a claim with their warranty department but I can see this being battle
Old 11-19-2019, 02:27 PM

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts
2016 GTs, 2014 C63 AMG and 2014 C350 Sport (wife's car, she thinks it's an AMG - shhhhhh)
Off topic but two things:

1) You are one lucky SOB. Glad that chunk didn't hit your hood (or your head). That's some scary stuff... where did the chunk come from? It looks like you have a dash cam? If you can trace it back to the truck it flew off of, you can go after their insurance company and get OEM glass + a little something something for you pain and suffering

2) What dashcam do you have and is it front/rear? Motion activated? Hard-wired?

Thank you and glad you are OK.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E
Water leak or not, that is a terrible job and I would demand they fix it.
The following users liked this post:
bentz69 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,598 Likes on 940 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Bonesxxx

1) You are one lucky SOB. Glad that chunk didn't hit your hood (or your head). That's some scary stuff... where did the chunk come from? It looks like you have a dash cam? If you can trace it back to the truck it flew off of, you can go after their insurance company and get OEM glass + a little something something for you pain and suffering

Answers to your questions are in the OP's first post...
https://www.blackvue.com/dr650s-2ch/
Bonesxxx (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 03:16 PM

2016 GTs, 2014 C63 AMG and 2014 C350 Sport (wife's car, she thinks it's an AMG - shhhhhh)
You, sir, are correct on question #2 (I caught that after I posted the question).

Question #1 is not answered in the OP however. While it shows said concrete chunk, it does not disclose the source of said concrete which I presume is available in the original footage.

Edit: In most states the vehicle that threw the stone is liable if it came off our out of the vehicle but not if it was kicked up by the tires.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I've taken quotes using OE windshield glass from two glass shops into both a BMW and a Mercedes dealer. I simply asked how close they could get and in both cases they quoted to within a hundred dollars or so of the outside shops' rate. It was a no-brainer to go with the dealers...absolutely no harm in politely asking.
Old 11-19-2019, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
You, sir, are correct on question #2 (I caught that after I posted the question).

Question #1 is not answered in the OP however. While it shows said concrete chunk, it does not disclose the source of said concrete which I presume is available in the original footage.

Edit: In most states the vehicle that threw the stone is liable if it came off our out of the vehicle but not if it was kicked up by the tires.
You asked 6 questions...
Old 11-19-2019, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts
2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
TAKE IT BACK! Don't! roll over on this. Don't let them do this to you.
bentz69 (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 09:41 PM

'16 CLS63S

The concrete was on the road and when the car in front of me ran over it. The chunk flew into the door of the Durango in the center lane then into my windshield.

My windshield was tinted and I believe that stopped the rock from coming through. The tint was holding the glass together and could be pushed back and forth with ease.

Blackvue 650 front and rear hardwired

Originally Posted by bhamg
I've taken quotes using OE windshield glass from two glass shops into both a BMW and a Mercedes dealer. I simply asked how close they could get and in both cases they quoted to within a hundred dollars or so of the outside shops' rate. It was a no-brainer to go with the dealers...absolutely no harm in politely asking.
I actually sat with a MB service advisor while we called geico together trying to convince them that OEM glass must be installed. Geico wouldnt agree. The 1600 from MB was the lowest they could go.

Originally Posted by ///Bruce
TAKE IT BACK! Don't! roll over on this. Don't let them do this to you.
Safelite does offer a lifetime warranty on defects and craftsmanship so I'm scheduled for Saturday to have it redone.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:08 PM

'16 CLS63S

Last edited by bentz69; 11-19-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:28 AM

Damn. I bet you had to change your shorts after that...
Old 11-20-2019, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 693 Likes on 472 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
I will always hope for the windshield that would have sucked if it hit the hood or roof, you didn't mention it but assuming it bounced off and no other damage to the car?
Old 11-20-2019, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bentz69
Where's the rear vid? LOL
Old 11-20-2019, 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C250 Coupe
I had a to get my windshield replaced earlier this year. My insurance company also wanted me to go through Safelite rather than the dealer. I argued that this is a specialty vehicle and I’m not comfortable using aftermarket parts and I’m not comfortable having the car worked on by anyone other than MB. I said I’ve paid a lot of money for the car, I pay a lot of money for insurance, and I addressed safety concerns between an aftermarket and OEM part (quality of the part, skill level of installer, calibration of speed sensors, etc). They took about a day to run my request up the chain of command and eventually approved my request for an OEM job. I’m not sure if Geico will go for this or not but it’s worth a shot
Old 11-20-2019, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Damn. I bet you had to change your shorts after that...
A small pebble hitting the windshield sounds like a bottle rocket. I can't even imagine how loud and how much sh*t OP has to clean up now lol.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:26 PM

'16 CLS63S
safelite reinstalled the windshield and its sitting correctly now....guess I got a better tech this time
Old 11-23-2019, 10:30 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
Texas law says you have the right to have OEM MB parts and service on insurance claims, other states might also. Of course the insurance company tried to steer you to a cheaper deal as it saves them money. If your car is leased from MB you have to return it in factory condition and that does NOT include non-MB parts.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Sherwin
I had a to get my windshield replaced earlier this year. My insurance company also wanted me to go through Safelite rather than the dealer. I argued that this is a specialty vehicle and I’m not comfortable using aftermarket parts and I’m not comfortable having the car worked on by anyone other than MB. I said I’ve paid a lot of money for the car, I pay a lot of money for insurance, and I addressed safety concerns between an aftermarket and OEM part (quality of the part, skill level of installer, calibration of speed sensors, etc). They took about a day to run my request up the chain of command and eventually approved my request for an OEM job. I’m not sure if Geico will go for this or not but it’s worth a shot
AFAIK, most dealers don't have a glass technician on site to replace the glass and sublets to a glass vendor to either install the the MB or AM glass. Some of the AM glass are also OEM vendors.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
Agree but even if dealer sublets the install and specifies OEM glass if there's an issue down the road the dealer is the one you dealt with. A lot better than finger pointing with some guy installing glass from the back of his pickup.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:34 PM

'16 CLS63S
Originally Posted by Tirgoman
Texas law says you have the right to have OEM MB parts and service on insurance claims, other states might also. Of course the insurance company tried to steer you to a cheaper deal as it saves them money. If your car is leased from MB you have to return it in factory condition and that does NOT include non-MB parts.
NY does not. The decision is left up to whatever insurance company you have. Some allow OEM and some dont. Geico will allow OEM only if aftermarket is unable to calibrated. If it was a lease (which it is not) I would be responsible to cover the difference for OEM

Originally Posted by Sincity
AFAIK, most dealers don't have a glass technician on site to replace the glass and sublets to a glass vendor to either install the the MB or AM glass. Some of the AM glass are also OEM vendors.
Agreed. However, MB of Smithtown does all their own glasswork in house. They do not use outside vendors
Regardless, windshield is sitting perfect for now. Centered all around the vin number and no gaps.