Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M156 / M159 Racing Coolant Thermostat by BlackBoost

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2022, 07:20 PM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
07' E63
All I can say is back in 2017 when I first bought my 2007 E63 and started to take it apart immediatly due to the Idle increasing to 1200+, which effected shifting never mind it being a newly found issue upon my taking delivery, I had not yet bought the STAR/Xentry Diagnostic/WIS/EPC, so I was especially in the dark as to exactly go about fixing my ride! Only my intuition/experience with my other cars told me that the high idle was most likely due to the Intake, and sure enough it was as RMT so professionally showed me! The Throttle Body was riddled with holes and they replaced it with a beefy remake of thier own. But upon seeing the huge carbon buildup on my Intake runners, I knew I was in it for the long haul. Only briefly did I ponder the notion of getting and air compressor and perhaps buying some vacuume attachement one can get for BMW's that might fit those orifices of the M156 all to clean the Runners up with Walnut Media; but then the potential catastrophic issues of the Headbolts came to the fore and it was decided, I was going to pull the Heads (had them rebuilt by Xtreme Headz in Palm City, Fl. where they tested each Valve and found 8 or 16 Intake were bent) and do this one right! And man has it been a thrill ever since and especially after renewing ALL the suspension parts, yes; new rear shocks, renewed/rebuilt 4 AirSprings, AirSpring Compressor, Subframe bushings, new F&R Torque Arms and Rear UPD Toe Arms, Front F1 Fabrication Upper Camber Arms, Steering Rack Bushings, Racing Brakes Front Rotors, Rear Zimmermans, New Hubs, Driveshaft Rubber Disc’s and intermediate bearing, Rear Main Seal, Cleaned Tranny Valve Journal (with the 14 or so *****), new A/C Compressor and PS, New Radiator/A/C/PS Tank, 3.06 Gearing swap with a LSD!

Well, if it weren't for those instructional video's of yours truly (Tasos!!!) I would never have taken those Cam Adjusters Apart and flipped that metal barrel/pin around as those instructions certainly ARE NOT in the WIS!! Moreover, setting up the timing is also NOT in the WIS nor is the instruction on how to properly rebuild the Heads once they are taken apart! Also, the WIS makes no mention of what the Cam Adjusters actually do nor reference what they are for! Tasos, you are the man! I can honestly say your videos on the subject helped me in spades!!! And for that, I thank you!!! I recently saw your video regarding the CamShaft(s) oil holes NOT being uniformly cut to the center to allow for Oil FLow underneath those "Cam Brackets", for lack of the proper word. Being that my Cam Adjusters were fairly worn, when the time comes I'm going to rebuild them using E63 Motorsports fine offerings, but I would be psyched to hear about your iteration of the M156 Exhaust and Intake Cams!!! Being that NEW CAMSHAFTS are not all equal, as previously mentioned, I would be interested to see how your creation was crafted!! I would also be curious to know whether or not you had any special coating applied to the lobes to help fortify its surface?

Needless to say, I trust whatever product you create for the M156/157 as you have more than proven to me the mechanical/technical expertise you not only possess but have so willingly shared over the years!! My concern is only that I'm in South Florida and although I typically run it between 3000-5000 RPM down here, (I might mention I only recently went on my 1st Roadtrip since the rebuild) with a new radiator my Oil temps are showing highs of 107C at approximately 70-75 degrees outside temp and when I got rowdy with it last weekend, but then shortly after it usually sits at 102-105C. interestingly, today the outside temps were a bit higher (80-85F) and the Oil temps shot up to as high as 114-119F at 4800RPM! As for the Coolant, it really didn't change at all from its level at jus over 2 bars over the 80C mark? So I'm just not sure if it would benefit me like it would if I were Racing it all the time or, for that matter, living in the UAE where your outside temperature is somewhat hotter than even here in S. Florida!! Otherwise I wouldn't blink on buying the Blackboost Thermostat!! One question though, I imagine it would be possible that after opening and closing numorous times that the Blackboost might turn one way or another. Is this something one would have to check on occasion, to make sure that hole is sitting at 12 O'Clock?

Money shot of the rear suspension with new rubber, UPD Arms, Shock, AirSpring, painted Dust Shield, new Hubs with Motorsport Hardware 75mm R14 Black Bullet Nose Race Stud Kit 14×1.5

This, being more to the point of this thread, was a pic I shot today. The oil temp shows 114C, but went up to 117C soon after the off-ramp. Moreover, the Coolant Temp at around 90C doesn't seem to really budge as it remains in that same position at idle? I'm gonna try hooking up the Xentry while driving, or the Carly+, to see if the Temp really differs from whats showing in the Cockpit. You can see the Speed was approx 85mph in 4th gear at 4800RPM which validates my previous statements in other posts regarding the 3.06 rear differential gear change whereby I mention that in 4th gear @ 3kRpm=55Mph, 4kRpm=75Mph and 5kRpm=90Mph!!! I was maintaining a constant 90mph in 6th gear at 3kRPM, 100Mph at 3100RPM, 110Mph at 3200, right in its powerband, which as you all surely know is anywhere over 3000 RPM!!! Then of course theres still 7th gear! So anyone saying your loosing speed by changing to a 3.06 is either just blowing hot air or seriously tracking thier ride at Indy!!!

Last edited by E63007; 04-13-2022 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,587 Likes on 935 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I just ordered one of these from the US site for my track only C63. I think my 180F mishimoto thermostat stuck closed on me at my last track day. Time to get rid of the restriction.

I'm assuming just let it idle longer to reach operating temp before the first session.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:01 PM

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts
ML 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jasonoff;[url=tel:8854785
8854785[/url]]I just ordered one of these from the US site for my track only C63. I think my 180F mishimoto thermostat stuck closed on me at my last track day. Time to get rid of the restriction.

I'm assuming just let it idle longer to reach operating temp before the first session.
FWIW, Mishimoto thermostats are complete garbage on the LT1/LT4 Camaro & Corvette platforms and the guys in that forum avoid their thermostats altogether. I’m assuming they use the same company to make their M156 thermostats so I wouldn’t have high hopes for them either.
Old 11-21-2023, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Joshinator99
FWIW, Mishimoto thermostats are complete garbage on the LT1/LT4 Camaro & Corvette platforms and the guys in that forum avoid their thermostats altogether. I’m assuming they use the same company to make their M156 thermostats so I wouldn’t have high hopes for them either.
Same issues with them sticking closed? I haven't replaced it yet but I will test it when I do.

The coolant bypass by Blackboost is a nice high quality piece. Will be interesting to compare data logs next season.
The following users liked this post:
Joshinator99 (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 10:03 AM

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts
ML 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jasonoff;[url=tel:8880180
8880180[/url]]Same issues with them sticking closed? I haven't replaced it yet but I will test it when I do.

The coolant bypass by Blackboost is a nice high quality piece. Will be interesting to compare data logs next season.
Yes sir. If it stuck open, it’s not the end of the world. But sticking closed is bad news. My brother put one in his 3,000 mile, $99K MSRP, Corvette Z06 and it stuck closed and overheated the car big time. Lucky he didn’t nuke the motor.
Old 11-21-2023, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 394 Likes on 266 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
Same issues with them sticking closed? I haven't replaced it yet but I will test it when I do.

my mishimoto lasted ~5000km. I believe it stuck open though if I remember correctly and it was taking too long to get to temp.
Old 11-21-2023, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Joshinator99
Yes sir. If it stuck open, it’s not the end of the world. But sticking closed is bad news. My brother put one in his 3,000 mile, $99K MSRP, Corvette Z06 and it stuck closed and overheated the car big time. Lucky he didn’t nuke the motor.
Yeah, I was saved by limp mode since it was unexpected on my first hot lap 4 corners in. Data log peaked at 129°C and only dropped to 114°C on the low RPM cool down to pit.

Shame on me for not watching the huge tablet I have displaying temps.

Last edited by Jasonoff; 11-21-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Joshinator99 (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 05:55 PM

Received 470 Likes on 173 Posts
E63
I've been running my blackboost thermostat for a few months now, it definitely works keeping the engine temps cool. Easily 20-30*F cooler than the stock thermostat.

Old 04-25-2024, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
@TK_BlackBoost @Tasosmos2 would you happen to have any contact with the BlackBoostUSA? Please PM me as soon as you can.
BLKROKT (04-25-2024)
Old 04-26-2024, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jasonoff
@TK_BlackBoost @Tasosmos2 would you happen to have any contact with the BlackBoostUSA? Please PM me as soon as you can.
@TK_BlackBoost are you still an active sponsor here? @Tasosmos2 do you still communicate with BlackBoost?

I ordered the M156/M159 thermostat bypass. I received a box with the M156/M159 printed on the exterior. However, the M157/M278 part was incorrectly packaged inside which went unnoticed upon quick inspection since they look identical to the naked eye.

I contacted BlackBoostUSA via email to get this rectified which they responded quickly BUT it has been radio silent since April 17th after they said they can send the replacement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BLKROKT (04-27-2024)