Sponsored by:

M156 Whipple supercharger Kit Announcement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2022, 09:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by 2015_507
I wonder why VRP is not a forum vendor anymore. Also it appears the kit cost is now 11500 starting, and doesn't mention including the tune. Does anyone know if the tune is included?
They had a different introductory price for first ten kits. Also tune is not included but I guess they have a list of tuners that can support you.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C63 507
Originally Posted by Jaideep Singh
They had a different introductory price for first ten kits. Also tune is not included but I guess they have a list of tuners that can support you.

Interesting, so it's going to end up being significantly more expensive than the Weistec kit which includes a tune. I'm new to the platform, not intending to throw any shade on anything, but they're obviously a polarizing supplier on this forum.

Me personally, I think they missed the mark a little bit on this pricing, Yes it's a newer technology kit but supercharger tunes on this platform are multiple thousands of dollars, and they're competing against a leading and trusted Mercedes tuning brand. But that's just my take .

Edit: Weistec Stage 2 kit is on sale for $10700 right now. So you're looking at probably at least $3,000 more for their kit with tune. Yikes!
Old 11-23-2022, 01:25 AM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
C63 AMG
~

Interesting, so it's going to end up being significantly more expensive than the Weistec kit which includes a tune. I'm new to the platform, not intending to throw any shade on anything, but they're obviously a polarizing supplier on this forum.

Me personally, I think they missed the mark a little bit on this pricing, Yes it's a newer technology kit but supercharger tunes on this platform are multiple thousands of dollars, and they're competing against a leading and trusted Mercedes tuning brand. But that's just my take .

Edit: Weistec Stage 2 kit is on sale for $10700 right now. So you're looking at probably at least $3,000 more for their kit with tune. Yikes!

Just to add some market information...

Whipple has announced they have stopped production of their Gen 3/4 2.9L supercharger ~2 months ago (September-ish IIRC).
What this means is that any units in stock for anyone who uses this (Weistec & ESS) can only sell what they have in inventory and that's it; you're going to be buying an guaranteed obsolete technology.
Everything going forward for the AMG/Whipple route (ESS/Weistec/PTG/VRP) will have to be based on the "new" Gen5 3.0L or the 4.0L(PTG), although there is even a 3.8L Gen5 out which will probably affect the lifecycle of the 4L of PTG, but I haven't researched this part of the market enough to make an educated guess.

I have spoken at length with PTG in the recent past about this "stage 1" concept though (they had an open secret they were building an intro kit on the 2.9L for the last ~1.5-2 years, even a test car or two with it in Dallas), and the thought of bringing back a Magnuson/Eaton/TVS type, but that went nowhere.
Total speculation, but in the "near" future then, this may become the only supercharger kit for the M156.
ESS at least doesn't seem to concern themselves with AMG as much, so they don't seem to devote much manufacturing time to their highly-regarded kit, and that leaves Weistec, but who knows how many units they have in stock...

Now, take all that, plus the proven benefits to the Gen5 vs Gen3/4 that you can find from the mustang/camaro crowd who have had these solutions for the last 3 years, and this kit, I personally think, becomes interesting.
If I were chasing every last horse, the 4.0L with the 8-rib auxiliary belt system from PTG would be a no-brainer, but without ALL the supporting mods (wide-body included) ~1300hp is just well beyond my aspirations/wallet.

What would be really interesting would be to get someone to develop a turbo kit, but outside of ~2 seriously custom cars no one I've heard is even remotely considering a kit for this sadly.

This is also then where us old & crusty types say "you gotta pay to play".
You can have this exact same conversation on anything with AMG luxury tax (cough cough, headers).
If you really want to melt your brain, go look up the cost of UGR's twin turbo Huracan kit and try to find what kind of house you could buy for the money instead.
Be thankful for JUST AMG tax? It always could be worse.

The following users liked this post:
AshBNE (11-24-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 12:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 392 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63

A prime lesson in internet misinformation and misunderstanding or possibly a lack of knowledge? ...Yikes!

1. The weistec stage 2 kit is $11,999
VRP is 11,500 (add 800 for tune)
2. The westec stage 2 kit is a 2.3l
VRP is 3.0 Gen 5 (over $1,000 difference in cost of head unit alone)
3. the weistec stage 2 kit has a massively inferior cooling system to our kit
The VRP uses Hellcat intercoolers capable of over 950 whp
4. the weistec stage 2 kit made 421whp before 538whp after
VRP 439whp before 659whp after

These are some of the reasons why we are having no issue selling them faster than we can make them.

As far as "not being a sponsor anymore" The sponsorship runs in 6 month intervals and isn't free. If we don't have new products or a specific reason to be on the forum we let that run out periodically to preserve our marketing budget.

Last edited by VictoryRoadPerformance; 12-16-2022 at 12:42 PM.
sickSVT (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E55 C63
Originally Posted by BHimself
Just to add some market information...

Whipple has announced they have stopped production of their Gen 3/4 2.9L supercharger ~2 months ago (September-ish IIRC).
What this means is that any units in stock for anyone who uses this (Weistec & ESS) can only sell what they have in inventory and that's it; you're going to be buying an guaranteed obsolete technology.
Everything going forward for the AMG/Whipple route (ESS/Weistec/PTG/VRP) will have to be based on the "new" Gen5 3.0L or the 4.0L(PTG), although there is even a 3.8L Gen5 out which will probably affect the lifecycle of the 4L of PTG, but I haven't researched this part of the market enough to make an educated guess.

I have spoken at length with PTG in the recent past about this "stage 1" concept though (they had an open secret they were building an intro kit on the 2.9L for the last ~1.5-2 years, even a test car or two with it in Dallas), and the thought of bringing back a Magnuson/Eaton/TVS type, but that went nowhere.
Total speculation, but in the "near" future then, this may become the only supercharger kit for the M156.
ESS at least doesn't seem to concern themselves with AMG as much, so they don't seem to devote much manufacturing time to their highly-regarded kit, and that leaves Weistec, but who knows how many units they have in stock...

Now, take all that, plus the proven benefits to the Gen5 vs Gen3/4 that you can find from the mustang/camaro crowd who have had these solutions for the last 3 years, and this kit, I personally think, becomes interesting.
If I were chasing every last horse, the 4.0L with the 8-rib auxiliary belt system from PTG would be a no-brainer, but without ALL the supporting mods (wide-body included) ~1300hp is just well beyond my aspirations/wallet.

What would be really interesting would be to get someone to develop a turbo kit, but outside of ~2 seriously custom cars no one I've heard is even remotely considering a kit for this sadly.

This is also then where us old & crusty types say "you gotta pay to play".
You can have this exact same conversation on anything with AMG luxury tax (cough cough, headers).
If you really want to melt your brain, go look up the cost of UGR's twin turbo Huracan kit and try to find what kind of house you could buy for the money instead.
Be thankful for JUST AMG tax? It always could be worse.
The Gen 5 3.0l is more efficient than the 4l unit with close to the same power potential. the new 3.8l is more comparable to the gen 5 3l. We will also have an 8 rib kit soon. but either way, you wont be maxing out either unit without a built motor and a big budget.
sickSVT (12-16-2022)
Old 03-03-2023, 10:09 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E55 C63

Old 03-10-2023, 10:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 raptor 2010 C63 AMG P31
any ETA on the 8 rib kit?
Old 03-14-2023, 04:53 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E55 C63
Originally Posted by yfz rock
any ETA on the 8 rib kit?
No eta yet as we haven't found a need for it.