Mercedes Benz Canada - Compliance Letter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 03:55 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
C63s AMG
Mercedes Benz Canada - Compliance Letter

Hey all,

I found this c63 at a dealership in Canada that I want to buy. One of the requirements to get the vehicle imported to the states, is a compliance letter from Mercedes Benz Canada. I called and emailed them and was told that this service is only intended to assist Canadian Mercedes-Benz owners, if they move from Canada to the US due to a change in their circumstances of living and that they do not provide assistance for cross border sales.

Pretty sure hundreds if not thousands of Americans buy cars in Canada every year and import them state side. Anyone able to tell me how they did it? Or got some way around what I’ve been told to get my hands on this compliance letter from Mercedes?
Old 03-08-2022, 07:13 PM

Received 109 Likes on 86 Posts
2014 C63
I could be wrong, but when I looked at the prices (pre-covid) vehicles were more expensive in Canada vs the states. Is there something special about this car that you can't find one stateside?
Old 03-08-2022, 07:35 PM

C63s AMG
I just like the spec.

Just not sure how to go about convincing MB Canada to get me this compliance letter.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
https://www.mercedes-benz.ca/en/admissibility

Some similar info that might help:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c219/3403...-s-canada.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...anada-usa.html
https://www.benzworld.org/threads/im...o-usa.2124937/
https://www.visajourney.com/forums/t...tter/#comments
Old 03-08-2022, 08:25 PM

C63s AMG
Thanks! Yep I’ve seen and gone over all those links.

On MB Canada link https://www.mercedes-benz.ca/en/admissibility If you look for the Canada to US section down below you’d find a list that reads MBC does not provide letters of compliance letter to. Two of them being:

• Vehicles owned by a dealership (franchised or otherwise)
• Vehicles owned by a non-resident of Canada

Essentially, they are reserving this service for Mercedes Canadian private party owners only.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by SEAMG
Thanks! Yep I’ve seen and gone over all those links.

On MB Canada link https://www.mercedes-benz.ca/en/admissibility If you look for the Canada to US section down below you’d find a list that reads MBC does not provide letters of compliance letter to. Two of them being:

• Vehicles owned by a dealership (franchised or otherwise)
• Vehicles owned by a non-resident of Canada

Essentially, they are reserving this service for Mercedes Canadian private party owners only.
Yea, I noticed that. The only other thing you could do is get a third party involved. Either someone who imports/exports a lot of vehicles or possibly a lawyer who could find a loophole/navigate the process for you.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:05 PM
SPONSOR

Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
could you just buy it there...and drive it across the border? when you register it in America you'll only need to show proof of emissions if needed and proof of purchase and ownership. are they concerned about DOT requirements?

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 03-10-2022, 01:08 PM

C63s AMG
Originally Posted by hachiroku
could you just buy it there...and drive it across the border? when you register it in America you'll only need to show proof of emissions if needed and proof of purchase and ownership. are they concerned about DOT requirements?
Yessir, the DMV requires US clearance document to allow anyone to register an imported vehicle.

I think the car has EPA sticker but it’s missing DOT one, which is the reason for the compliance letter.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:57 PM
SPONSOR

Received 801 Likes on 571 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
send an email to MB USA asking if they can supply you with a formal letter stating the Canadian Spec has a variance of x percentage of parts from the American spec. If manufacturer states the variance doesn't exist or is minimal, you can then add this vehicle to the federal allowed vehicles list. Not sure how difficult that process is, but supposedly very easy if you have a formal letter from Mercedes Benz Global or MB USA and variance between spec is minimal or non-existant.

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com
Old 10-03-2023, 08:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
W212 E63 S
@SEAMG - can you PM me or respond here. I am interested to know how you made out on this issue. I am facing the same thing and can't find much to go on.
Old 10-03-2023, 01:59 PM

C63s AMG
@lunare63s I ended up giving up on that Canadian C63 because no matter how many times I reached out and tried to get compliance letter from MB USA or MB Canada, they weren't willing to provide it to me.

If the MB you're trying to buy is owned by private party then I would check if the currently owner is able to get you the letter, as if they are the ones exporting it to US. Otherwise, if you're buying from a dealer, check with auto broker local to you.
Old 10-03-2023, 02:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
W212 E63 S
@SEAMG - Thanks for the reply! Much appreciated. I guess I'm SOL on this. What a shame they don't allow for exceptions on vehicles with low production numbers.
Old 10-03-2023, 04:49 PM

C63s AMG
Give one of these guys a call; I'm sure a registered importer can help, the question would be on their fee

https://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehi...ered-importers

Last edited by Sea63s; 10-03-2023 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-07-2023, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Macan GTS, 981 Boxster S, Lotus Sport Elise, Porsche 930 Turbo,C63 Edition 507
You also need to change the cluster. Canadian car is in km and you need one in mph to export it to the USA. I did mine during covid.

I was able to get the compliance letter but it was a pita.

Last edited by trackaddict; 10-07-2023 at 09:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sea63s (10-09-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 02:33 PM

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
This can be done but DO NOT tell MB the car is being sold as the reason a Letter of Conformity is needed. You MUST lie and say you're moving South of the border or MB will **** down the importation.

I just went through this and wasted 2.5 now trying to import a 507 from Canada into the US.
Ended up buying out of Chicago since MB couldn't veto the whole thing.
Old 10-08-2023, 02:48 PM

C63s AMG
Originally Posted by Accidental L8 apex
This can be done but DO NOT tell MB the car is being sold as the reason a Letter of Conformity is needed. You MUST lie and say you're moving South of the border or MB will **** down the importation.

I just went through this and wasted 2.5 now trying to import a 507 from Canada into the US.
Ended up buying out of Chicago since MB couldn't veto the whole thing.
I’m not sure about all this. You can’t get away with lying because they ask you for proof of Canadian residency and car registration in your name.
Old 10-08-2023, 06:31 PM

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
Originally Posted by Sea63s
I’m not sure about all this. You can’t get away with lying because they ask you for proof of Canadian residency and car registration in your name.
The current Canadian owner requests a Letter of Conformity from MB claiming they're moving to the States. That letter travels with the car through customs with the shipper to the buyer's destination and you're done other than a cluster swap. I wasn't told there was anymore to it than that, but if MB knows the car is being sold across the border, they will not provide the letter.
I was told they don't want dealers having to cope with minor differences or possible recalls.
The following users liked this post:
Sea63s (10-08-2023)
Old 10-08-2023, 07:51 PM

Received 177 Likes on 150 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
I'll share a story I have, which is more of a potential warning of how south things can go, at least in Nazifornia:
I had an older M6 that was already here in the US, somehow, but it was made for Germany so it did not comply with all US bs. When I tried to smog it it was an automatic fail because it was not a California approved engine. Never sold in Calif apparently. So to do it legally I was told I have to take the car to Santa Rosa Calif (looong way away from me), pay $2600 (back ~1994 so an easy $5k now), and leave the car there. Something like 10 days or so later they will let you know if it passes whatever tests. You don't get the $ back if it fails. Hard pass for me, especially since I know it would never pass, plus I paid $2200 for the whole car.
Another story was a friend wanted to make a dune buggy/sand rail, street legal. It's not exactly easy, but it is doable. I warned him and tried to talk him out if it, but he was dying to drive it on the street. It's easier and cheaper to just drive it as-is and get a ticket, than do it legally. So he starts the paperwork, then a year or so later decided I was correct, too much work & $, and went to canx the whole thing. The Calif DMV said, sorry, you can't. Once the paperwork is started you have to complete it, then you can register back as off-road only. Even I didn't suspect Cali was that stupid, or that level of A-hole. So he had to scrap the buggy and register his new one. Same buggy of course, but paperwork wise. So stupid...

So I guess my advice is to be super ultra careful, especially if dealing with Calif. Also, that same friend in the buggy story, said he uses a DMV service, not the DMV, for most everything. Reason is he often buys things from out state, or things that may trigger a red flag at the DMV, like trigger fines, inspections etc, which can usually be avoided through the service. Plus he can ask the service about a possible problem car before he buys it to see if they can do it or not. They know all the bs, and how to dodge it, so that's who I'd ask... He said despite a fee for said service, it's overall, on avg, substantially cheaper due to all the fees/fines and bs they avoid.

trackaddict: Nice looking car. The black bits are just the right % and locations on the white. I'm not a fan of black wheels on a white car, but those look pretty good. The hood is giving me a semi. My car looks very similar, and it looks like your hood just might fit mine. When and were do you leave the car unattended at night? :p
Did your front valence scoop at the bottom/center come black, or did you do that? Mine is a little different, and chrome. On yours, I think chrome would not look right, so thumbs up on the black.
Old 10-08-2023, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Macan GTS, 981 Boxster S, Lotus Sport Elise, Porsche 930 Turbo,C63 Edition 507
Originally Posted by Chevota
I'll share a story I have, which is more of a potential warning of how south things can go, at least in Nazifornia:
I had an older M6 that was already here in the US, somehow, but it was made for Germany so it did not comply with all US bs. When I tried to smog it it was an automatic fail because it was not a California approved engine. Never sold in Calif apparently. So to do it legally I was told I have to take the car to Santa Rosa Calif (looong way away from me), pay $2600 (back ~1994 so an easy $5k now), and leave the car there. Something like 10 days or so later they will let you know if it passes whatever tests. You don't get the $ back if it fails. Hard pass for me, especially since I know it would never pass, plus I paid $2200 for the whole car.
Another story was a friend wanted to make a dune buggy/sand rail, street legal. It's not exactly easy, but it is doable. I warned him and tried to talk him out if it, but he was dying to drive it on the street. It's easier and cheaper to just drive it as-is and get a ticket, than do it legally. So he starts the paperwork, then a year or so later decided I was correct, too much work & $, and went to canx the whole thing. The Calif DMV said, sorry, you can't. Once the paperwork is started you have to complete it, then you can register back as off-road only. Even I didn't suspect Cali was that stupid, or that level of A-hole. So he had to scrap the buggy and register his new one. Same buggy of course, but paperwork wise. So stupid...

So I guess my advice is to be super ultra careful, especially if dealing with Calif. Also, that same friend in the buggy story, said he uses a DMV service, not the DMV, for most everything. Reason is he often buys things from out state, or things that may trigger a red flag at the DMV, like trigger fines, inspections etc, which can usually be avoided through the service. Plus he can ask the service about a possible problem car before he buys it to see if they can do it or not. They know all the bs, and how to dodge it, so that's who I'd ask... He said despite a fee for said service, it's overall, on avg, substantially cheaper due to all the fees/fines and bs they avoid.

trackaddict: Nice looking car. The black bits are just the right % and locations on the white. I'm not a fan of black wheels on a white car, but those look pretty good. The hood is giving me a semi. My car looks very similar, and it looks like your hood just might fit mine. When and were do you leave the car unattended at night? :p
Did your front valence scoop at the bottom/center come black, or did you do that? Mine is a little different, and chrome. On yours, I think chrome would not look right, so thumbs up on the black.
The paint on my car is all original so the front bumper came like that from the factory. The owner in Canada removed the decals on the sides.

Mechanically it's not stock, thanks to Weisstec who is 30 minutes away from me...
Old 07-12-2024, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by trackaddict
You also need to change the cluster. Canadian car is in km and you need one in mph to export it to the USA. I did mine during covid.

I was able to get the compliance letter but it was a pita.

Thats a beautiful car. Can you please advise where you got the instrument cluster fixed from and how much did it cost? I also have to get a TMPS system installed.