C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cel p2190 and p2188 after installing new lifters.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2024, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 w204
cel p2190 and p2188 after installing new lifters.

hello,

w204 c63 2012.

i installed new lifters in the right bank only as a some of of them had gone soft and were making ticking sound, tookthe cams and adjusters off, installed new lifters for for intake and exhaust , new cam bolts and washers, toqued to 45NM and 90 degress using the timing tools with crank at 40 degress mark.

left bank was not touched.

the car started up nicely idel was good and drove very smoothly , no codes , drove normly and hard as well, no roughness or missfire.

next day as out with family and was driving and got this cel :

P2190 and p2188

what could be causing these codes to appear? and what should i do to fix this? do i need to do camshaft relearning ?

car never had this code before i did the lifter job, i rechecked the timing 2 times after i installed the cams and adjusters.

please advice what to do?

thanks

Old 06-09-2024, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 693 Likes on 472 Posts
12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
Since they are not timing codes I don't think you there is anything wrong with the cams or lifters or cam adjusters as anything wrong there will give you timing codes normally.

Lets start simple - any chance you forgot to plug the MAF's back in when you put the airboxes back on?

Maybe clean your MAF's if you have oiled filters?

A vacuum leak will give you lean codes so no likely a vacuum line, rich would indicate too little air like a restriction, did you do anything else while doing the lifters, like re-oil some air filters or anything?
The following users liked this post:
Nayel (06-09-2024)
Old 06-09-2024, 10:59 AM

c63 w204
Originally Posted by roadkillrob
Since they are not timing codes I don't think you there is anything wrong with the cams or lifters or cam adjusters as anything wrong there will give you timing codes normally.

Lets start simple - any chance you forgot to plug the MAF's back in when you put the airboxes back on?

A vacuum leak will give you lean codes so no likely a vacuum line, rich would indicate too little air like a restriction, did you do anything else while doing the lifters, like re-oil some air filters or anything?

hello,

thanks for the reply !

Maybe i need to do cam shaft relearning using a scanner?

the car drives normally as it did before i installed the right bank lifters, idel is smooth drives like normal minus the lifter tick .
so this is how it went i took the right air box off with the the battery negative terminal disconnected and then unhooked the map plug right bank only as those were the lifters i was about to change,
did the lifters cams and timing 40 degress on the crank pulley and locked the cams with rear tool, the cam bridge tool and the front timing tool all alinged perfectly to where i marked before taking everything off, the adjusters teeths were held in place with the adjuster teeth alignment tool and there were good!
did the torques on the new cam bolts 45NM then 90 deg.
closed everything up started the car up lifters ticked for abt min or so then went silent and normal.

i have oem AMG filters , i never liked the oil coated filters.

i have gotten this same code once before about 3 months ago when i changed the air filters that time i check the y pipe made sure its on right, made sure the air boxes are on correctly and the clamps are tight, cleared the code and it never came back untill now.

for now i have taken off the rigth airbox , reattatched it again and tightened the clap again...drive the car for about 60 miles , normal city drive , highway WOT pulls on S and S+ so far no code yet.

but this is a very sneeky code it comes when u least expect it lol but i dont think i have a new vaccume leak as i didnt touch anything related to vaccum.

Last edited by Nayel; 06-09-2024 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-09-2024, 01:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
c63 w204
Im having the same issue any fix??

Last edited by wheelspk2131; 06-09-2024 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-09-2024, 03:32 PM

c63 w204

So i went out for a ride, did normal traffic driving and 2 or 3 pulls and the check light came again.

i pulled over and after checking with obd scanner its the same 2 codes

p2188 and p2190 system to rich at idle bank 1 and 2

i have checked, both intakes are good and tight so leaking isn't the issue of the intake.

My car disnt had this code before i did the right bank lifters and im not sure if they could be related to the issue im getting.

i dont know whats causing these codes, any expert advice would be very helpful.

Last edited by Nayel; 06-09-2024 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2024, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

12 C63BS Magno Alanite Grey, 22 X3M Brooklyn Grey, 08 BMW E93, 22 Ducati Desert Sled, John Deere 3R
I don't think the relearn will fix those codes as the relearn is to learn the cam adjusters and get the timing spot on. The only time I did the relearn for the cam adjusters was when I got some timing codes and the relearn fixed it after a cam adjuster replacement. I am doubtful it would fix too rich codes and any are leak would be too lean codes.

From searching basically all threads point to your airbox or intake pipes not sealing correctly - this should let unmetered air into the intake and give lean codes, but it seems in most cases any leak in the intake on a mercedes rich mixture codes so would triple check all connections that have been apart, otherwise it points to MAF problems but would be odd both MAF's have an issue.
Old 06-09-2024, 10:33 PM

c63 w204
I don't think the relearn will fix those codes as the relearn is to learn the cam adjusters and get the timing spot on. The only time I did the relearn for the cam adjusters was when I got some timing codes and the relearn fixed it after a cam adjuster replacement. I am doubtful it would fix too rich codes and any are leak would be too lean codes.

From searching basically all threads point to your airbox or intake pipes not sealing correctly - this should let unmetered air into the intake and give lean codes, but it seems in most cases any leak in the intake on a mercedes rich mixture codes so would triple check all connections that have been apart, otherwise it points to MAF problems but would be odd both MAF's have an issue.
yea thats what odd as well the car had no such code before i did the lifters , i still think the timing is a out a little ?? enough to give out this code but not enough that its giving bad timing code??

Maybe bad o2 sensor?

i don't know what to do as i have checked all pipe, os there a reading that i can check that the MAFs should be giving out ?

any more suggestions?
Old 06-10-2024, 01:41 AM

c63 w204

Here are some reading i took from a obd scanner might help in figuring out whats going on.

Old 06-10-2024, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Like I noted in my last comment - all indications for that code point to an air leak even though I would expect lean not rich normally, anyone with those codes reports the resolution is typically fixing an air leak in the intake.

Also your long term fuel trims are pulling a huge amount of fuel indicating some type of fuel mixture issue, so still think it is related to taking the intake apart.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadkillrob:
Nayel (06-13-2024), wheelspk2131 (06-13-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 09:11 PM

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
AMG GTs & w204 C63
Have you cleaned your MAF sensors and air filters?
Old 06-12-2024, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts
10 C six trizzle
likely replace oxygen sensors or you got bad fuel, which would also damage the oxygen sensors. Unless your tune is complete trash or injectors on both banks took a crap at the same exact time, or you cleaned and way over oiled engine air filters. Also check the grounds on the valve covers, easily over looked will cause weird stuff. If you timed it wrong you would have timing codes. Just do a search hundreds of threads of people in denial of timing their engine wrong, trying to fix camshaft timing fault codes.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:40 AM

c63 w204
Originally Posted by Why Vegas
Have you cleaned your MAF sensors and air filters?
Yea i have tried changing the MAFs with my friends car, i took the whole air box with the mafs and swapped them over to my car it made no difference to the trims, they were still rich .
Old 06-13-2024, 01:47 AM

c63 w204
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
likely replace oxygen sensors or you got bad fuel, which would also damage the oxygen sensors. Unless your tune is complete trash or injectors on both banks took a crap at the same exact time, or you cleaned and way over oiled engine air filters. Also check the grounds on the valve covers, easily over looked will cause weird stuff. If you timed it wrong you would have timing codes. Just do a search hundreds of threads of people in denial of timing their engine wrong, trying to fix camshaft timing fault codes.
Its been a week and i have filled my car from my different fuel pumps with good fuel and it didn't change anything, i agree with you about the timing , if it was that if would had given timing codes , i even did a relearning on the timing and it went successfully.

yesterday i took the Air box off my Friends c63 and put on mine to rule out possible MAF issues made no difference .

Can a intake manifold leak cause rich Trims?

Old 06-13-2024, 02:03 AM

c63 w204
Like I noted in my last comment - all indications for that code point to an air leak even though I would expect lean not rich normally, anyone with those codes reports the resolution is typically fixing an air leak in the intake.

Also your long term fuel trims are pulling a huge amount of fuel indicating some type of fuel mixture issue, so still think it is related to taking the intake apart.

hey thanks for the reply,

as i did open the intake to fix a huge crack on the TB plates , which i replaced with a used plate which also had micro holes in it, i put silicon and JB welding on the places where possible leakages could happen, if i look at the logs i feel every time the car throws more fuel the rpm changes not much but its can be heard the rpm serge very little i dont know if its just me or im hearing things tho.

anyways last night i swapped airbox along with MAFs with my friends c63 to rule out possible bad mafs it made no difference to the trims, so that leave possible bad o2 the which i highly doubt as both bank o2 cant be bad at the same time

that leaves the intake manifold , any idea how i can test it for leakage? I think i will have too take it off and smoke test it, don’t know if that will work if there is a possible TB plate leakage .

here are some of the screen shorts i took of the scanner , does the manifold pressure look normal?

Old 06-13-2024, 07:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 376 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
Check for leaking fuel injectors
Old 06-13-2024, 09:05 AM

c63 w204
Originally Posted by skratch77
Check for leaking fuel injectors
both banks are rich , and almost same trims, i highly doubt all the injectors are stuck , i had them cleaned and tested 3 weeks ago and they were passed the test .

there is something else which is causing the trims to go negative and both banks to go rich

Old 06-13-2024, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 376 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
If you had a shop clean your injectors that right there can easily be your problem. Who knows what they ran through them and could of easily messed them up.

Pop the rail off and prime the system and see if there leaking

These injectors are dirt cheap
The following users liked this post:
AMGSPY (06-13-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 12:03 AM

c63 w204
Originally Posted by skratch77
If you had a shop clean your injectors that right there can easily be your problem. Who knows what they ran through them and could of easily messed them up.

Pop the rail off and prime the system and see if there leaking

These injectors are dirt cheap
okay ill have that checked could be a possibility, but its a good shop and they ran injector cleaning fluids those the injectors put them on the test machine and tested all sort of pattens, i saw everything happen my self.

So i highly doubt both banks are rich the same amount which is odd unless all the 8 injectors are leaking ?

have a look at my intake manifold pressure as well does that look normal to you?

Old 06-14-2024, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
It doesn’t have to be all 8 leaking for a rich code to happen. It could be one per side or maybe a couple per side. The O2 sensor reads after all the exhaust on that bank has merged.
Old 06-16-2024, 04:45 AM

c63 w204
Update,

i swapped the both intake airbox along with the MAFs with my friends c63 and the negative fuel trims came down from -30 on idel.

opened the Intake manifold to check leakages didn't find any.

now the terms stay between -14 to -16 which is big change and no more triggering the CEL

im posting the screenshot data , can anyone have a look at it and tell me if this is good?

Old 06-18-2024, 07:55 PM

E 280
Originally Posted by Nayel
Update,

i swapped the both intake airbox along with the MAFs with my friends c63 and the negative fuel trims came down from -30 on idel.

opened the Intake manifold to check leakages didn't find any.

now the terms stay between -14 to -16 which is big change and no more triggering the CEL

im posting the screenshot data , can anyone have a look at it and tell me if this is good?
Amigo la lectura de su sensor MAF es alta. Deberķa estar de 4 a 5 g por segundo. Revise el conector o los pines del sensor.