Chris Harris confirms next C63 will be RWD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zibby43
My responses in bold.
Your responses are so stupid they're not worth responding to.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
Originally Posted by TT C6
First, let me start by saying I love your C63 sedan.
Nice car.
If I wanted a lease a RWD sedan, that would be my choice.

AMG needs to offer AWD and DCT if they want a 1st class sports sedan in 2014.
I don't have a problem if they want to offer RWD and a sluchbox for the knuckledraggers who want it,
But, don't try to deny others a world class sports sedan with modern technology.
There is a reason the SLS Black only comes with a DCT.
There is a reason the 2014 E63 is AWD only in the US.

Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, Bugatti, GTR, Audi, etc, etc, all choose DCT and AWD for a reason.

Couple things. The Ferraris are RWD. Porsche's track cars are also RWD like the GT3 and GT2. The other cars can get away with a DCT because they produce a smaller amount of torque. Audi does not use the DCT in the RS6 or RS7 though the S6 and S7 do use the DCT for this very reason. AMG cannot on all their models as they like to build torquey engines. The SLS and CLA45 produce few enough torque where a DCT can be used. The 5.5 biturbo, 6.0 biturbo v12, and apparently the 4.0 biturbo do not. It's a trade off. If you want torque, you can't have a DCT. Notice that the new Z06 does not use a DCT, but a regular slushbox as well.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:24 AM

2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
Never did I say I want to deny people the option of RWD. Also, the W204 C63 does not weight 4,000+ lbs. It doesn't even weigh 4,000 lbs. And the new W205 is going to weigh at least 110 lbs lighter than the current generation. Way to check your facts.
I don't know about yours but my C63 coupe comes in at 4130-4140lbs with me in it (200lbs) and around 1/8 tank of gas - weighed at 3 different tracks. Full tank of gas and it's pushing 4200lbs.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Originally Posted by TTA850
I don't know about yours but my C63 coupe comes in at 4130-4140lbs with me in it (200lbs) and around 1/8 tank of gas - weighed at 3 different tracks. Full tank of gas and it's pushing 4200lbs.
interesting, my 2009 4 door came in at around 3850 pounds with a half tank, the insurance papers say 1722KG so thats around 3700? i could be wrong, one thing i notice when i bought after market rims is the stock rims are quite heavy compared to my VS-160s
Old 02-05-2014, 07:36 AM

Gtr
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
See my post above... the same applies.
Just wanted to add here... As I said, since the 13th of october, we had two days above 37 degrees farheineit. My CTS-V, every stop sign, I had to be gentle on the throttle or I would stay on the stop sign. Even at 50mph, flooring it would make it dangerous. Stopping was good though (anyway, AWD doesn't really help in braking).

It's really a personnal choice AWD or RWD, I don't see why people bash each other on this. For it or against, it's just that for me, I enjoy a lot more AWD since for 6 months the temperature is low and your post don't apply too much to be "gentle with the throttle in those days". Well it applies but 6 months is a lot
Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 AM

C63 507 Coupe , Cayman GTS
Just wish they didn't require $25k worth of options to be added onto the already steep base price.
Totally agree !!

What you rather have a new C4S at 130K or Maserati GranTurismo MC.
If your gonna track it the C4S, if you want soul the Maserati delivers on all aspects.
My 2004 996 C4S was 89k out the door..... 10 years and 40k more is a bit steep imho.

991 GT3 is much more appealing imho. As I plan to track it when Porsche opens their new "driving school" track in Carson, CA.

Last edited by Ruff507; 02-05-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by CoOlSlY
Just wanted to add here... As I said, since the 13th of october, we had two days above 37 degrees farheineit. My CTS-V, every stop sign, I had to be gentle on the throttle or I would stay on the stop sign. Even at 50mph, flooring it would make it dangerous. Stopping was good though (anyway, AWD doesn't really help in braking).

It's really a personnal choice AWD or RWD, I don't see why people bash each other on this. For it or against, it's just that for me, I enjoy a lot more AWD since for 6 months the temperature is low and your post don't apply too much to be "gentle with the throttle in those days". Well it applies but 6 months is a lot
I agree with you, my post was intended for someone that only sees winter a couple months out of the year and only snows one or twice every 5yrs. (read the entire sentence of that quote). If I lived somewhere that snowed often then I would want AWD too.
I just find it ridiculous that someone who lives in an area that rarely sees snow screams that they "need" AWD.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:19 AM

SL63
Originally Posted by Ruff507
Totally agree !!

What you rather have a new C4S at 130K or Maserati GranTurismo MC.
If your gonna track it the C4S, if you want soul the Maserati delivers on all aspects.
My 2004 996 C4S was 89k out the door..... 10 years and 40k more is a bit steep imho.

991 GT3 is much more appealing imho. As I plan to track it when Porsche opens their new "driving school" track in Carson, CA.
The Maseratis are beautiful and fantastic sounding cars. The only thing holding me back from considering them is they're rather underpowered. If they had 100 more HP they'd be very competitive.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by TTA850
Wow that's unbelievable. The last LCI sedan I saw weighed (a '13 model) came in at 3,650 lbs.

Did you have 19s? A bunch of extra equipment?

And for official numbers, cars are weighed without the driver since the driver's weight is a variable that can fluctuate.

Last edited by zibby43; 02-05-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:38 AM

SL63
Wow that's unbelievable. The last LCI sedan I saw weighed (a '13 model) came in at 3,650 lbs.

Did you have 19s? A bunch of extra equipment?

And for official numbers, cars are weighed without the driver since the driver's weight is a variable that can fluctuate.
Doubt that was weighed on a scale. Manufacturers tend to under report the weight of the car. A '13 C63 coupe weighed 3950 lbs with 1/8 tank of gas and no driver at the track scale here. Car and driver weighed a lci sedan and coupe and the sedan was a hair under 4000 lbs.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JumpinJim
Couple things. The Ferraris are RWD. Porsche's track cars are also RWD like the GT3 and GT2. The other cars can get away with a DCT because they produce a smaller amount of torque. Audi does not use the DCT in the RS6 or RS7 though the S6 and S7 do use the DCT for this very reason. AMG cannot on all their models as they like to build torquey engines. The SLS and CLA45 produce few enough torque where a DCT can be used. The 5.5 biturbo, 6.0 biturbo v12, and apparently the 4.0 biturbo do not. It's a trade off. If you want torque, you can't have a DCT. Notice that the new Z06 does not use a DCT, but a regular slushbox as well.
The Ferrari is a 3,100lb RWD COUPE that's a RACE CAR, not a LUXURY SEDAN.
The AWD S7 weighs 4,400 lbs and it has a DCT.
GTRs weigh almost 4,000lbs and are running 800-15000hp through thier DCT.

The SLS doesn't make a lot of torque?
Your entire post is a FAIL and you should do some research before posting.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tjdehya
I agree with you, my post was intended for someone that only sees winter a couple months out of the year and only snows one or twice every 5yrs. (read the entire sentence of that quote). If I lived somewhere that snowed often then I would want AWD too.
I just find it ridiculous that someone who lives in an area that rarely sees snow screams that they "need" AWD.
I live in the NYC area and even if I didn't drive to Vermont every weekend like I do, I would STILL want AWD for the traction advantages in the cold and wet.

I find it ridiculous, insulting, and annoying when some kid in VEGAS is telling other people what they NEED, especially unnamed people go crying to the mods like a little b#tch..
Old 02-05-2014, 11:13 AM
Banned

Never did I say I want to deny people the option of RWD. Also, the W204 C63 does not weight 4,000+ lbs. It doesn't even weigh 4,000 lbs. And the new W205 is going to weigh at least 110 lbs lighter than the current generation. Way to check your facts.
But your lack of knowledge has turned me off to discussing anything further with you.
I have a lack of knowledge?
LOL
You just proved to everyone here that you're clueless.
Zibby doesn't even know the weight of the current C63, but tries to argue with me?
Classic.
Thanks for the laugh.

Last edited by TT C6; 02-05-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:21 AM

SL63
The Ferrari is a 3,100lb RWD COUPE that's a RACE CAR, not a LUXURY SEDAN.
The AWD S7 weighs 4,400 lbs and it has a DCT.
GTRs weigh almost 4,000lbs and are running 800-15000hp through thier DCT.

The SLS doesn't make a lot of torque?
Your entire post is a FAIL and you should do some research before posting.
You said ferraris are AWD. They're not.
The weight of the S7 or GTR are irrelvant as to what transmission they use. Both of those cars produce realively little torque.
The SLS produces 468 ft/lbs of torque even in the black series. It's not much compared the the 5.5 biturbos 660 tq with the performance pack.

You need to do some reasearch that doesn't involve a speak and spell as the primary source.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Banned

You said ferraris are AWD. They're not.
NO I DIDN'T. Your reading comprehension needs work. FF is the AWD Ferrari.

The weight of the S7 or GTR are irrelvant as to what transmission they use.
Thanks for proving that you are clueless, again.
Both of those cars produce realively little torque.
The SLS produces 468 ft/lbs of torque even in the black series. It's not much compared the the 5.5 biturbos 660 tq with the performance pack.
No *****. The C63 is only getting a tiny 4.0L. So, you're wrong again.
You need to do some reasearch that doesn't involve a speak and spell as the primary source.
Please stop tying to argue with me because I don't want to be forced to continue to expose you and how CLUELESS you are.
See below.

The S6 also only produces 406 ft/lbs or torque. Not a whole lot. The RS6 does not use a DCT despite having the same engine as it produces more power and the DCT isn't up to the task.

The Alpha 9 GTRs with 900hp still only produce a hair above 500 ft/lbs torque. The GTRs producing big power are not running the stock transmission.

HP has nothing to do with how much the transmission can handle. TQ is the limiting factor. Do some reseach.

GTR only makes a hair over 500 with an alpha 9, eh?
You just proved to everyone here that you are COMPLETELY CLUELESS.
To those who have no idea what you're talking about, please stop trying to argue with me because I will expose you and your false info online.

If the SLS and a 4,400lb S7 can run a DCT, AMG can give the 3,900lb C63 a DCT. Don't even get me started on what tuned versions are running though their DCT without issues.
Don't even get me started on what a stock GTR DCT can do, let along a Bugatti and 911 Turbo's DCT.

Last edited by TT C6; 02-05-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
I have a lack of knowledge?
LOL
You just proved to everyone here that you're clueless.

Zibby doesn't even know the weight of the current C63, but tries to argue with me?
Classic.
Thanks for the laugh.
Why are you even talking to me?

I'm not going to rely solely on the posts of one or two people who have weighed their cars. There's no way to account for any of the variables: calibration/accuracy of the scale, different options in different cars, modifications, driver weight, etc.

I appreciate their feedback and I'm not calling them out as dishonest or anything like that, I'm just not going to take one or two data points as the gospel.

And here's the car's official curb weight, as per the manufacturer's website:

Curb weight: 3,649 lbs.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicl...nt=model-specs
Old 02-05-2014, 11:48 AM

SL63
Please stop tying to argue with me because I don't want to be forced to continue to expose you and how CLUELESS you are.
See below.
K, you're not too bright. Have a nice day.
Old 02-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Banned

Why are you even talking to me?

I'm not going to rely solely on the posts of one or two people who have weighed their cars. There's no way to account for any of the variables: calibration/accuracy of the scale, different options in different cars, modifications, driver weight, etc.

I appreciate their feedback and I'm not calling them out as dishonest or anything like that, I'm just not going to take one or two data points as the gospel.

And here's the car's official curb weight, as per the manufacturer's website:

Curb weight: 3,649 lbs.

Zibby-
Do you realize you can weigh your car at the track?
Do you know the difference between dry and wet weight?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Zibby-
Do you realize you can weigh your car at the track?
Do you know the difference between dry and wet weight?
First off, let me say this: I honestly hope that AMG offers BOTH a RWD and an AWD C63 (at least at some point) so that they can capture a greater share of the market.

And regarding your questions about weight . . .

Yes I do realize that. And yes I do know the difference.

But I would rather compare all cars based off of the manufacturers' stated curb weights because at least then, the measurement standard will be even, uniform, and consistent (i.e., dry curb weight).

Because the amount of fuel in a car, a certain car's options, the driver's weight, the number of passengers, the amount of cargo, etc. are all variable factors that must be taken into account in a "wet weight" measurement, I would rather not try to use random "wet weight" comparisons.

I've tried to be as nice as I can to you. You've personally attacked me, called me names, have said that the C63's interior is ugly, etc.

I don't know what I did to provoke those responses but regardless, I'm sorry that I made you that upset.

I said I respect your choice to want an AWD C63.

All I have been doing in these threads is reporting the news that AMG has provided. And Tobias has constantly said that the W205 C63 will be RWD-only.

Best of luck in whatever car you decide to purchase.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:01 PM
Banned

But I would rather compare all cars based off of the manufacturers' stated curb weights because at least then, the measurement standard will be even, uniform, and consistent (i.e., dry curb weight).
All manufacturers lie.
Sad, but true.

If you want real world measurements, talk to actual owners, or at least, read the magazine tests. I try to talk to people that run their cars at the track so I can get an independent scale reading and a mph in the 1/4 to see what a car really weighs and how much power it's actually making.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
All manufacturers lie.
Sad, but true.

If you want real world measurements, talk to actual owners, or at least, read the magazine tests. I try to talk to people that run their cars at the track so I can get an independent scale reading and a mph in the 1/4 to see what a car really weighs and how much power it's actually making.
Here's a magazine test where the LCI (face-lifted; 2012+) C63 weighed in at 3,804 lbs.

CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST) 3804 lb (54/46%)

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...pe_first_test/
Old 02-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Banned

Here's a magazine test where the LCI (face-lifted; 2012+) C63 weighed in at 3,804 lbs.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...pe_first_test/

Motor Trend's "First Test" prints manufacturer provided numbers.
Motor Trend's "Instrument Test" prints the results that Motor Trend measures with their own "instruments".

It seems like you're arguing with me and trying to cover your previous posts when we have already told your what INDEPENDENT TESTS have PROVEN the car weighs.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Motor Trend's "First Test" prints manufacturer provided numbers.
Motor Trend's "Instrument Test" prints the results that Motor Trend measures with their own "instruments".

It seems like you're arguing with me and trying to cover your previous posts when we have already told your what INDEPENDENT TESTS have PROVEN the car weighs.
You're wrong.

You were erroneously referring to "First Drive" as the "First Test." During the "First Drive," Motor Trend may use manufacturer data. But during the "First Test," which is the same thing as "Instrumented Test," Motor Trend provides its own data and independently takes its own measurements.

And here is all of the proof:

3.7 to 60 is NOT a number provided by Mercedes-Benz AMG. That is what Motor Trend was able to achieve in its "First Test."

The manufacturer's number is 4.4 seconds.

If you would have read the rest of the measurements, you would've seen that they were the result of Motor Trend's testing, and not manufacturer-provided numbers.

3,816 lbs is the manufacturer-provided number for the C63 coupe.

Again, the Motor Trend number I shared with you was different (3804 lbs).

Here is a quote from the article, PROVING Motor Trend tested it independently in the First Test:

"Pushing the Coupe on our figure eight proved supremely fun. So fun, in fact, that MT test team hot shoes Carlos Lago and Kim Reynolds tormented the track multiple times just to experience the 63's extraordinary stick and responsiveness. (Side note to potential owners: You'd better think about investing in a Brazilian rubber company, stat.) Its best time of 24.9 seconds at 0.78 g average is something to be proud of, but a cheaper, less potent 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca edges the Merc out by a few fractions (24.6 seconds at 0.81 g average). With a 0-60 mph time of 3.7 seconds, the torquey C63 slaps a twin-clutch BMW M3 in the face (4.2 seconds) and then laughs out loud to the finish line. It bested both to a stop from 60 mph with a distance of only 105 feet."

And here is the rest of the data that Motor Trend independently obtained.

BASE PRICE $62,305
PRICE AS TESTED $81,715
VEHICLE LAYOUT Front engine, RWD, 4-pass, 2-door coupe
ENGINE 6.2L/481-hp/443-lb-ft DOHC 32-valve V-8
TRANSMISSION 7-speed automatic
WHEELBASE 108.9 in
LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 185.3 x 69.7 x 54.6 in
0-60 MPH 3.7 sec
QUARTER MILE 12.1 sec @ 117.2 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 105 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.94 g (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 24.9 sec @ 0.78 g (avg)
EPA CITY/HWY FUEL ECON 13/19 mpg
ENERGY CONSUMPTION, CITY/HWY 259/177 kW-hrs/100 miles
CO2 EMISSIONS 1.28 lb/mile

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2sTgfYOZ0

Last edited by zibby43; 02-05-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
You were erroneously referring to the "First Drive" as the "First Test."

During the "First Drive," Motor Trend may use manufacturer data.

But during the "First Test," which is the same thing as "Instrumented Test," Motor Trend provides its own data and independently takes its own measurements.

Last edited by zibby43; 02-05-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Banned

You were erroneously referring to the "First Drive" as the "First Test."

During the "First Drive," Motor Trend may use manufacturer data.

But during the "First Test," which is the same thing as "Instrumented Test," Motor Trend provides its own data and independently takes its own measurements.

We already told you what the C63 ACTUALLY WEIGHS ON A SCALE IN THE REAL WORLD.
It's 3,996lbs or more.
So, stop trolling and STFU already.

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...-amg-jan12.pdf

If you are so smart, why don't you simply go drive your C63 in your driveway over to a scale and take pictures so you can educate yourself ?????
When you do, make sure you post the pictures in this thread with an apology.

Last edited by TT C6; 02-05-2014 at 02:53 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris confirms next C63 will be RWD