Sponsored by:

AMG Performance Exhaust option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
I'm pretty sure that idle speed and top RPMs are what affect the volume between modes.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 OB Black AMG c63s
Originally Posted by Rippe
#AMG-Eric: How the exhaust becomes more louder when moving towards race? I though it is binary - flap open or closed. It is gradual then?
In sport+ the iddle is a bit higher and up-gear change later - apart of that?
Yes, I notice the idle changes between the different modes making it louder, I notice the biggest difference between sport and sport plus.

Strike
Old 06-10-2016, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 AMG C63s
Originally Posted by StrikeTeam
Yes, I notice the idle changes between the different modes making it louder, I notice the biggest difference between sport and sport plus.

Strike
Idle it almost goes away when you are on the brake at a stoplight.

it pops and backfires more as it moves toward race mode as well. That might be a functioning of the timing and the waste gates on the turbos.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:26 PM

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
2020 C63s Coupe, 2016 C63s Sedan
Also, the exhaust flaps/valves close while you are applying the brakes at idle.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C63
Things that I've noticed without dynamic exhaust valves. Only single valve at mid pipes. A.k.a Standard Exhaust

1) Comfort & Sports sounds the similar.
2) Sports + increase idling RPM hence I don't know if the volume increase is due to that.
3) In sports+ mode, when at traffic light, if you brake lightly, the exhaust remains loud. If u depress the brake deeper, it softens the car. Hence I believe it's due to the valves in the mid pipes.

After installing akrapovic with the valve system:

With all valves open,
1) idling is much deeper
2) no difference in all 3 mode with the exception of higher idling rpm for sports+
3) downshift causes quite a good pop & deep sound to the extend on feeling the vibration in the car which I totally enjoy.
4) valves can only be manually opened in comfort mode. In sports and sports+, rear muffler valves are automatically opened.

Question:
When do the valves in the mid pipe open or close ? In what mode, under what circumstances ? For those with performance exhaust, do u find that the valves in the mid pipes open once u press the "loud" button ? It's tough to understand how the mid pipe valves operate as they can't be seen as compared to the valves in the rear mufflers where u can just look thru the exhaust tips and see it visually.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63 S Coupe
I installed the Eisenmann system this weekend. Stay tuned for a full review.
The following users liked this post:
NJC63Fan (06-23-2019)
Old 08-28-2016, 10:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by JPMBenz
Saw a sneak peak on ur instag
Old 09-25-2016, 06:43 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mercedes GLC43
This thread was enlightening.So on C63 and C63S the exhaust "button" is only present if you pay for the U78 AMG Performance Exhaust System option, right?

Considering a regular C63 (not the C63S) MY 2017 without performance exhaust.

- when revved does the "regular*" C63 still make a nice sound in sport / sport+ mode (be it not as beastly as with the performance exhaust)?

- when you start it up in comfort mode is it still fairly quiet and understated?

- without the performance exhaust can you still get a regular C63 to make a nice that nice rasp that sounds almost like a backfire?

(* calling a C63 "regular" is a bit of any oxymoron)
Old 09-25-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C63S coupe
U78 is a must. Make sure you select it.
It is standard on all C63 coupe variants in the U.K.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:04 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
Originally Posted by Uga Uga
U78 is a must. Make sure you select it.
It is standard on all C63 coupe variants in the U.K.
+1
Old 09-26-2016, 04:05 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
Originally Posted by JPMBenz
tell me about it JP, sounds awesome
Old 02-07-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Originally Posted by nl88
Wow, seems like everyone's neighbour is going to start hating me for opening a can of worms. Hahah

Just to be sure, the dynamic switch opens the valves at the mid pipes right ? So regardless of standard or performance exhaust, there is already a valve and its closed in comfort and opened in sports+.

As for the exhaust button, its only for those who have the performance exhaust and it opens the valves at the muffler to bypass the mufflers.

Is that correct ?
Hi everyone

First time post! Just picked up my 17 C63 amg s yesterday. Got the sports exhaust package.

For the life of me, I can't get the valves to open BEFORE I start the car. I've tried EVERYTHING. I've pushed the valve button before hitting start... I've tried checking the drive mode before hitting the start button (my individual mode has exhaust on sports+).... But none of it does anything.

I'm coming from a dodge charger hellcat.... Best sounding start on anything I've ever heard (not aftermarket). That puppy EXPLODED to a start. I knew I was sacrificing some sound with the Merc.... But I'd like a little bit of a explosive rumble on startup. Any suggestions? Did something change with 2017 model?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Leodoc; 02-07-2017 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-07-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
2019 Audi SQ5, 2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4wd, 2016 Ford Focus se Hatchback
Originally Posted by Leodoc
Hi everyone

First time post! Just picked up my 17 C63 amg s yesterday. Got the sports exhaust package.

For the life of me, I can't get the valves to open BEFORE I start the car. I've tried EVERYTHING. I've pushed the valve button before hitting start... I've tried checking the drive mode before hitting the start button (my individual mode has exhaust on sports+).... But none of it does anything.

I'm coming from a dodge charger hellcat.... Best sounding start on anything I've ever heard (not aftermarket). That puppy EXPLODED to a start. I knew I was sacrificing some sound with the Merc.... But I'd like a little bit of a explosive rumble on startup. Any suggestions? Did something change with 2017 model?

Thanks in advance

Hit the start button without your foot on the brake. Then change drive mode or open valves. Then start the car by pushing the start button again with your foot on the brake.

My C63S coupe arrives in late March. I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot of forum posts.
The following 2 users liked this post by See63esS:
JonAG72 (06-20-2017), Leodoc (02-09-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 04:25 PM

2016 OB Black AMG c63s
Originally Posted by Leodoc
Hi everyone

Thanks in advance
Push the start button twice without your foot on the brake. Then put it into sport + or individual mode. Put your foot on the brake and push the start button.

It should start with a roar! Its the only way I start the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by StrikeTeam:
JonAG72 (06-20-2017), Leodoc (02-09-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
2019 Audi SQ5, 2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4wd, 2016 Ford Focus se Hatchback
Originally Posted by StrikeTeam
Push the start button twice without your foot on the brake. Then put it into sport + or individual mode. Put your foot on the brake and push the start button.

It should start with a roar! Its the only way I start the car.
Oh, didn't know it was twice. I watched a video and they only showed it once. Thanks for the correction. Why is it twice?
Old 02-07-2017, 05:10 PM

2016 OB Black AMG c63s
Originally Posted by See63esS
Oh, didn't know it was twice. I watched a video and they only showed it once. Thanks for the correction. Why is it twice?
Lol.. I don't know! Maybe I"m wrong... So I'm going to try it once the next time I start her up!
See63esS (02-07-2017)
Old 02-07-2017, 06:28 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by See63esS
It's definitely twice. I think because you start without the footbrake pressed the car thinks you just want to quickly check the mileage or something so doesn't completely turn on. The second press brings up all the normal functionality, and that's when you can change to a different driving mode, then start with foot on the brake as usual.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 Dodge Charger Hellcat
Originally Posted by nl88
Wow, seems like everyone's neighbour is going to start hating me for opening a can of worms. Hahah

Just to be sure, the dynamic switch opens the valves at the mid pipes right ? So regardless of standard or performance exhaust, there is already a valve and its closed in comfort and opened in sports+.

As for the exhaust button, its only for those who have the performance exhaust and it opens the valves at the muffler to bypass the mufflers.

Is that correct ?
YES!

THANKS! I didn't realize I had to hit the start button twice. Better startup then with flaps closed. Much appreciated
Old 03-14-2017, 10:17 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
nothing
Does the exhaust button only open the 2 flaps in the rear mufflers?

I feel my OCD will be doing the following:

Push start twice without foot on brake
Select individual mode
Select exhaust button
Start car
Old 03-14-2017, 11:10 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by shoe3k
Does the exhaust button only open the 2 flaps in the rear mufflers?

I feel my OCD will be doing the following:

Push start twice without foot on brake
Select individual mode
Select exhaust button
Start car
No need to select exhaust button if you're already selecting individual mode.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 223 Likes on 125 Posts
E63s AMG
Heard my buddies c63s and just the exhaust burping and popping note is worth the price of this car. Those notes are music to my ears.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 Mercedes C63s AMG
Originally Posted by rihallix
This thread was enlightening.So on C63 and C63S the exhaust "button" is only present if you pay for the U78 AMG Performance Exhaust System option, right?-----YES

Considering a regular C63 (not the C63S) MY 2017 without performance exhaust.

- when revved does the "regular*" C63 still make a nice sound in sport / sport+ mode (be it not as beastly as with the performance exhaust)?-----YES, at least from what i have been able to gather.....PE sounds more throaty/lower/rumbly???

- when you start it up in comfort mode is it still fairly quiet and understated?-------the Stock exhaust sounds louder to me @ startup

- without the performance exhaust can you still get a regular C63 to make a nice that nice rasp that sounds almost like a backfire?--------YES, but i think that it's a bit more pronounced with the PE (see below)

(* calling a C63 "regular" is a bit of any oxymoron)

Sorry, not sorry, to have revived this thread, but since I'm considering purchasing a C63 AMG, i found the information very useful given that i had many of the same questions. The first time i visited my dealer, i was able to start a 63 AMG with the "stock" exhaust and a 63 S AMG with the performance exhaust option. it was VERY apparent to me (as mentioned earlier in this thread) that the stock exhaust was DEFINITELY louder at start up (both cars in the same mode) than the S model with the performance exhaust. i also came across the AWE chart that validates what some of us are saying (stock exhaust is just as LOUD as the performance exhaust, at least at startup). i was so surprised by it that i had to go back and forth between cars (starting them up) to make sure that what i was hearing was correct. the DIFFERENCE to me was when pushing the exhaust button on the S model car (performance exhaust) and the sound most definitely became lower, more throaty (at idle), than the car with the stock exhaust. what i'm not certain of is if the lower/throatier sound was actually louder, but rather exactly what i just said, just a different tone as opposed to decibels, but that lower tone i absolutely loved.

so my own question is, ASIDE from being able to use the button to manually open/close the flaps (regardless the engine mode), is there a tonal difference between the Performance Exhaust and the Stock Exhaust when both cars are in Sport + mode (both units flaps open)??? or said another way, do the two exhausts actually sound different from one another? does the Performance Exhaust emit a much lower/rumbly/throatier sound than the stock?

there is a video on youtube that compares a car with the PE and one Stock, the PE sounding lower than the Stock, so perhaps that answers my question? anyone else have thoughts/opinions around this?

fast forward to yesterday....when i was able to test drive the C63 AMG (non S) with STOCK exhaust. yes, the car sounded as loud as i remember it at start up in the showroom, but on the open road and with the windows up, i was less impressed with the loudness of it, with the windows down it was more satisfactory. now my question is, is the Performance Exhaust louder (than stock) at any points in the RPM band (both cars in the same mode)? do the lower tones somehow equate to more sound or louder sound when under load?

why is this important to me? there are a couple of Stock Exhaust models available in my area that have low msrp ($73k-$75k low option versions), most all other examples are highly optioned S versions in and around the $90k area. yes, i could order one to keep msrp low for April 2018 delivery.....is the performance exhaust a must have? i will say that being able to quiet the exhaust is somewhat attractive to me (early morning starts/neighbors). maybe that alone is worth it, but NOT if the PE is actually less loud, all things considered.

thanks in advance,
Old 12-20-2017, 03:02 AM

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C63S coupe
Originally Posted by oajr
Sorry, not sorry, to have revived this thread, but since I'm considering purchasing a C63 AMG, i found the information very useful given that i had many of the same questions. The first time i visited my dealer, i was able to start a 63 AMG with the "stock" exhaust and a 63 S AMG with the performance exhaust option. it was VERY apparent to me (as mentioned earlier in this thread) that the stock exhaust was DEFINITELY louder at start up (both cars in the same mode) than the S model with the performance exhaust. i also came across the AWE chart that validates what some of us are saying (stock exhaust is just as LOUD as the performance exhaust, at least at startup). i was so surprised by it that i had to go back and forth between cars (starting them up) to make sure that what i was hearing was correct. the DIFFERENCE to me was when pushing the exhaust button on the S model car (performance exhaust) and the sound most definitely became lower, more throaty (at idle), than the car with the stock exhaust. what i'm not certain of is if the lower/throatier sound was actually louder, but rather exactly what i just said, just a different tone as opposed to decibels, but that lower tone i absolutely loved.

so my own question is, ASIDE from being able to use the button to manually open/close the flaps (regardless the engine mode), is there a tonal difference between the Performance Exhaust and the Stock Exhaust when both cars are in Sport + mode (both units flaps open)??? or said another way, do the two exhausts actually sound different from one another? does the Performance Exhaust emit a much lower/rumbly/throatier sound than the stock?

there is a video on youtube that compares a car with the PE and one Stock, the PE sounding lower than the Stock, so perhaps that answers my question? anyone else have thoughts/opinions around this?

fast forward to yesterday....when i was able to test drive the C63 AMG (non S) with STOCK exhaust. yes, the car sounded as loud as i remember it at start up in the showroom, but on the open road and with the windows up, i was less impressed with the loudness of it, with the windows down it was more satisfactory. now my question is, is the Performance Exhaust louder (than stock) at any points in the RPM band (both cars in the same mode)? do the lower tones somehow equate to more sound or louder sound when under load?

why is this important to me? there are a couple of Stock Exhaust models available in my area that have low msrp ($73k-$75k low option versions), most all other examples are highly optioned S versions in and around the $90k area. yes, i could order one to keep msrp low for April 2018 delivery.....is the performance exhaust a must have? i will say that being able to quiet the exhaust is somewhat attractive to me (early morning starts/neighbors). maybe that alone is worth it, but NOT if the PE is actually less loud, all things considered.

thanks in advance,
I will have to check up on this when I get the opportunity
but, I think with the PE you get more crackles and pops in sport+ /race.
Also the facelift I believe is pencilled in for April 2018,I would wait if I were that close to buying.

oajr (12-20-2017)
Old 12-20-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by oajr

thanks in advance,
One thing to remember about the Sport (non-PE) exhaust is that the start-up volume changes depending on the temperature of the engine. My '15 C63S sedan is equipped with the Sport exhaust, and if the oil temperature on the AMG screen in the dash is lower than around 82F or 83F, the startup exhaust volume is significantly louder than if the oil temperature is warmer than this. It's a night and day difference. And it'll usually quiet down to a "warmed up" volume after a minute or so post-startup.

During the summer here in Houston, the oil temperature will rarely drop below 100F by morning (I park in my garage that doesn't have all that great of ventilation), and the startup volume isn't all that loud. Fast forward to the first fall cold front that comes through where overnight temps drop significantly, and my car sounds significantly louder at startup.

If you are starting up a Sport (non-PE) exhaust car that's been sitting for days at the dealer, it most definitely will sound loud. Just don't expect that volume on startup when the car is warmed up though.

Last edited by msd3075; 12-20-2017 at 10:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by msd3075:
bamahemi (01-16-2018), oajr (12-20-2017)