Sponsored by:

About to trade in M4 for Silver Edition 1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 07:03 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 C63S E1; 2016 C450 AMG
About to trade in M4 for Silver Edition 1

It is a long story that I will tell if I go through with the transaction. I have a deal lined up and will test drive tomorrow. If the test drive does not disappoint me, I will be driving home in an Iridium Silver Edition 1.

Anyone want to talk me out of it?

The deed is done. See picture below.

Review to follow after I have some time with the new beast.

Before and after
About to trade in M4 for Silver Edition 1-before-after.jpg

In the driveway
About to trade in M4 for Silver Edition 1-c63-front.jpg
About to trade in M4 for Silver Edition 1-c63-front-quarter.jpg
About to trade in M4 for Silver Edition 1-c63-side.jpg
About to trade in M4 for Silver Edition 1-c63-rear-quarter.jpg

Last edited by irablumberg; 06-04-2015 at 07:19 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 06-02-2015, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Welcome to the club.

I was considering an M3 or M4 on my recent car purchase of my 2015 C63S.

the st 6 turbo, plus vids, plus ex note, plus the vid of the c63s pulling on the m4, made my decision.

GL> Post of pics of your new ride.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Currently Looking
Originally Posted by irablumberg
It is a long story that I will tell if I go through with the transaction. I have a deal lined up and will test drive tomorrow. If the test drive does not disappoint me, I will be driving home in an Iridium Silver Edition 1.

Anyone want to talk me out of it?
Nope, see you on the other side. BTW, great choice.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Absolutely not.

After seeing the W205 in person, I'm heavily leaning toward ordering one. I've test driven the F8X several times now. The F80 M3 has mega performance and great looks . . . but it just doesn't set my hair on fire in the interior and soundtrack departments.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C63S / 2015 BMW M4
As a current M4 owner I say good for you man. The M4 is a great car but I believe that greatness is mostly reserved for the track. IMHO. The C63S is the real deal and has the best overall package. To be honest, I wasn't in love with the car initially because I was a little disappointed that Merc didn't make it look a bit more aggressive. However, I took some time to really assess my personal preference and realized I'm more of a sleeper / muscle car guy anyway and needed four doors. I'm keeping my M4 for a little while longer and will pick up my C63S sometime in early July (fingers crossed and knocking on wood). But if I had to pick one car at this very moment, I think the C63S is it. I'm now madly in love with the interior, exhaust note, etc. I'm looking forward to your feedback after the test drive -- and the pictures after the purchase.

Roadkiller
Old 06-02-2015, 11:33 PM

Currently Looking
Originally Posted by Iceman II
As a current M4 owner I say good for you man. The M4 is a great car but I believe that greatness is mostly reserved for the track. IMHO. The C63S is the real deal and has the best overall package. To be honest, I wasn't in love with the car initially because I was a little disappointed that Merc didn't make it look a bit more aggressive. However, I took some time to really assess my personal preference and realized I'm more of a sleeper / muscle car guy anyway and needed four doors. I'm keeping my M4 for a little while longer and will pick up my C63S sometime in early July (fingers crossed and knocking on wood). But if I had to pick one car at this very moment, I think the C63S is it. I'm now madly in love with the interior, exhaust note, etc. I'm looking forward to your feedback after the test drive -- and the pictures after the purchase.

Roadkiller
LOL you are roadkilla?
Old 06-03-2015, 08:51 PM

First post updated with photo.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Ice-man.... great post. I love when we get real car people and non-fan-boy posts.

I too was on the fence about the m3/m4 vs c63s..... If I had the space.... I'd have an m4 for track days...... but with only 1 garage space for my ride..... it was the C63s for the win.

I have alot of respect for the M3/4... not from pers exp.... but from being barraged with admiration from all the mag's for years..... UHG
Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
First post updated with photo.

The C63 really pops in that photo.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
011 gtr
welcome!! and make sure you post that on bimmerpost too. LOL.
Old 06-04-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by SE7ENC55
welcome!! and make sure you post that on bimmerpost too. LOL.
I do plan to post my review here and on bimmerpost where I will also say "So long and thanks for all the fish."
Old 06-04-2015, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
I do plan to post my review here and on bimmerpost where I will also say "So long and thanks for all the fish."
Very much looking forward to reading both!
Old 06-04-2015, 06:20 PM

BMW M4
Originally Posted by betrezra
Welcome to the club.

the st 6 turbo, plus vids, plus ex note, plus the vid of the c63s pulling on the m4, made my decision.

I know this is my first post here, but i would really like to see the vids of the C63 S pulling on the M4. A genuine request, as i would like to see the difference, regards, SIMON.
Old 06-04-2015, 06:46 PM

Currently Looking
Originally Posted by HSimon
I know this is my first post here, but i would really like to see the vids of the C63 S pulling on the M4. A genuine request, as i would like to see the difference, regards, SIMON.
Stock Edition 1 vs. Tuned M3 race in this thread. There is some debate about whether or not the tune was active. I think the owners said the tune was inactive for the early races.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-c...hway-race.html
Old 06-04-2015, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by betrezra
Welcome to the club.

Thanks. More pictures posted in original post.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:22 PM

Currently Looking
Thanks. More pictures posted in original post.
New pics are absolutely beautiful. I love the side profile of this car and the red trim says badass.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:57 PM

2006 BMW 330i, 2009 C63
Very nice car. Congrats.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 PM

bmw
Cant wait you tell us why you sold the m4!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Really enjoyed that second set of photos. Congrats again.

How do you like the following: 1) the steering feel; 2) the ride?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bespoke88
Cant wait you tell us why you sold the m4!

That is a long story, but the short version goes like this. The M4 was lots of fun, but without lots of suspension mods, it was never going to keep up with things like the Camaro Z28, C7, or the new Shelby 350 (just look at the huge difference in 'ring times even though these cars all have about the same power to weight ratio). Yet being a 2 door, it was almost as impractical, although somewhat more comfortable.

In addition, I realized that I don't want to track my own very expensive car. I would much rather pay for expensive driving schools (like the AMG school) where I can drive even more expensive cars and not care about crashing or replacing tires, brakes, etc.

Thus, I concluded that I wanted something more practical, more comfortable, and faster (in a straight line) for my daily driving. My decision may have been different if I had owned an M3 instead of an M4 as the M3 is much better suited for carrying multiple passengers and is thus also much more practical.

There were other little things like the M4 was a very pretty black, but the AC could not really cope with the warmer North Carolina summer days. Also, there was very annoying wind noise around the window seals that the dealer worked on for days and reduced, but did not eliminate.

Originally Posted by zibby43
Really enjoyed that second set of photos. Congrats again.

How do you like the following: 1) the steering feel; 2) the ride?

Thanks in advance.

I've only had the car about 30 hours and it has been raining for about 20 of those hours, so I don't have a very complete set of impressions yet. However, based on my first 200 miles of mostly highway driving, I would say that the steering is fairly light but comfortable. It gets heavier with the more sporting chassis settings but remains comfortable. There is more body roll than on my M4, but this is expected because the C is heavier and taller and because my C has the pano roof and my M4 had the CF roof with no moon roof.

The ride is fine for me in all modes. I am probably not the best judge however, as I have owned lots of cars including a 2014 Nissan GT-R and never felt the ride was too hard or harsh in any of them. In comfort mode the C is a bit softer than the M4 in comfort mode. In Sport+ the C is definitely softer than the M4 in its firmest setting.

I have two other initial impressions that I can report, but these are subject to further experience.

First, the C's stability control seems far less intrusive than even the MDM (aggressive mode) stability control on the M. You can find lots of reports in reviews and on the web saying that the M's stability / traction control is too sensitive and too intrusive. Hard acceleration in first or second gear definitely gets the stability control light blinking on the M and when that happens it cuts power very aggressively. The same thing happens with any aggressive cornering. In any situation where the rear tires might slip even just a small amount the M's traction control will intervene with a very intrusive power cut, even with the MDM setting. Turning off the traction control on the M allows some very fun aggressive cornering with easy to control slides. However, I really was not comfortable running with the traction control disabled on a regular basis. By contrast, at least on the two turns I have attacked aggressively with the C, the traction control either did not activate at all even with a small amount of sliding, or it did blink, but there was no noticeable cut in power. I will explore this further (in the interest of science ;-), but I think the C will allow much more fun than the M in this regard. This is also consistent with my experience in my wife's W204 C63. That car also allows quite a bit of sliding before the traction control interferes in any noticeable way.

My second observation relates to the paddle shifting. On my wife's 2012 C63, in S+ mode, the transmission shifts fairly quickly in response to a paddle pull. However, if you pull twice quickly in cases where you want to drop down 2 gears, it completely ignores the second pull. To my great surprise and happiness, the new C does not seem to suffer from this problem. I repeatedly tested this while driving on the freeway at speeds that ranged from 65 to 85 MPH. I would start in either 6th or 7th gear and give two quick pulls on the down paddle. The car dropped two gears every time. The shifts were not quite as lightning quick as on the DSC transmission in my M4, but they were certainly fast enough.

On a related transmission note, I was spoiled by the M's DSC transmission. With that I was able to accelerate at full throttle and there was never any pause or hesitation when the transmission shifted gears. Now that I am back to a more traditional automatic transmission, I am once again feeling that very brief hesitation during gear changes. I am surprised at how much I notice it now when it used to feel perfectly normal. This is however a very small price to pay and I can certainly live with it.

After about a week of driving (assuming the rain stops soon), I should have a much more complete set of impressions and comparisons with the M4 and I will post them here and at bimmerpost.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:05 AM

bmw
Thanks for all the write ups!!

I was curious about the downshifting.. would you say if you tracked occasionally it would not be fast enough?

I probably would not track a c63s but I am curious to know your thoughts on this.

I driven manual more then I have any auto, so this is a concern for me, I hate laggy autos, I know it is not as fast as any real DSC - but my question is is there any sort of lag?

What are your impressions of overall looks vs the two, I know this is subjective, and also fit and finishes of the materials?

I am also curious how you feel about the exhaust in the new c63s, i know you have the sport exhaust, is it quite loud in the cabin with windows up
Old 06-05-2015, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
I've only had the car about 30 hours and it has been raining for about 20 of those hours, so I don't have a very complete set of impressions yet. However, based on my first 200 miles of mostly highway driving, I would say that the steering is fairly light but comfortable. It gets heavier with the more sporting chassis settings but remains comfortable. There is more body roll than on my M4, but this is expected because the C is heavier and taller and because my C has the pano roof and my M4 had the CF roof with no moon roof.

The ride is fine for me in all modes. I am probably not the best judge however, as I have owned lots of cars including a 2014 Nissan GT-R and never felt the ride was too hard or harsh in any of them. In comfort mode the C is a bit softer than the M4 in comfort mode. In Sport+ the C is definitely softer than the M4 in its firmest setting.

I have two other initial impressions that I can report, but these are subject to further experience.

First, the C's stability control seems far less intrusive than even the MDM (aggressive mode) stability control on the M. You can find lots of reports in reviews and on the web saying that the M's stability / traction control is too sensitive and too intrusive. Hard acceleration in first or second gear definitely gets the stability control light blinking on the M and when that happens it cuts power very aggressively. The same thing happens with any aggressive cornering. In any situation where the rear tires might slip even just a small amount the M's traction control will intervene with a very intrusive power cut, even with the MDM setting. Turning off the traction control on the M allows some very fun aggressive cornering with easy to control slides. However, I really was not comfortable running with the traction control disabled on a regular basis. By contrast, at least on the two turns I have attacked aggressively with the C, the traction control either did not activate at all even with a small amount of sliding, or it did blink, but there was no noticeable cut in power. I will explore this further (in the interest of science ;-), but I think the C will allow much more fun than the M in this regard. This is also consistent with my experience in my wife's W204 C63. That car also allows quite a bit of sliding before the traction control interferes in any noticeable way.

My second observation relates to the paddle shifting. On my wife's 2012 C63, in S+ mode, the transmission shifts fairly quickly in response to a paddle pull. However, if you pull twice quickly in cases where you want to drop down 2 gears, it completely ignores the second pull. To my great surprise and happiness, the new C does not seem to suffer from this problem. I repeatedly tested this while driving on the freeway at speeds that ranged from 65 to 85 MPH. I would start in either 6th or 7th gear and give two quick pulls on the down paddle. The car dropped two gears every time. The shifts were not quite as lightning quick as on the DSC transmission in my M4, but they were certainly fast enough.

On a related transmission note, I was spoiled by the M's DSC transmission. With that I was able to accelerate at full throttle and there was never any pause or hesitation when the transmission shifted gears. Now that I am back to a more traditional automatic transmission, I am once again feeling that very brief hesitation during gear changes. I am surprised at how much I notice it now when it used to feel perfectly normal. This is however a very small price to pay and I can certainly live with it.

After about a week of driving (assuming the rain stops soon), I should have a much more complete set of impressions and comparisons with the M4 and I will post them here and at bimmerpost.
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions and post those additional detailed impressions.

Very encouraging to hear re: the usability of the ESP and the improvements offered by the revised MCT!

As someone that has had extensive experience with the F8X, W204, and W205, your observations are very, very useful/compelling.

Keep on enjoying the car in good health. Look forward to further commentary down the road.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:36 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,419 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
looks nice; I'll keep an eye out for you
Old 10-09-2015, 06:10 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Sick amg congrats

I really love the look
Old 10-12-2015, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
OP, congrats!

The C63 blows the M4 out of the water ESPECIALLY in the sound department. The new M4/M3 sounds terrible IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: About to trade in M4 for Silver Edition 1