C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Axle Oil Change No Longer Needed at 2K?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by theclutch
Ha! So it seems that my dealer is a lot more "efficient" than everyone else's is.... Most of you got 3 liters to fill the eLSD. Mine used 2 liters - which made me think they UNDER filled it. It turns out from MBUSA via the AMG Lounge that the eLSD capacity is only 1.2 liters... so go figure. See below.

I posted on the AMG Private Lounge and asked the person that gave you the number of 1.2 L to give us some documentation as either you are short or I and many others have been charged too much.

thanks for trying to get a correct answer.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2021 GLE53; 2018 Audi R8 V10 Plus
Just had my service completed. $139.41 out the door. On receipt it states the following: "Added 2.5 quarts of rear diff fluid, removed and replaced both drain plugs and applied special cleaner and Loctite adhesive to the drain plugs as per WIS instructions"
Old 04-20-2016, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by jeremyf0923
Just had my service completed. $139.41 out the door. On receipt it states the following: "Added 2.5 quarts of rear diff fluid, removed and replaced both drain plugs and applied special cleaner and Loctite adhesive to the drain plugs as per WIS instructions"
Wow good dealer
I was charged 3l of lube at $19.99 each and $25.99 for each plug plus $150 labor.
$261.95 out the door for just rear end--almost double yours

At the same time I had engine oil changed for an additional $100 labor and parts for total of $197.18
If they already have me on the lift to do the oil change the should not charge as much labor for the diff.

I guess I will ask ahead next time and maybe negotiate
Old 04-20-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63s
so get this guys, i get quoted for around $300 bucks for 4L of fluid and an hour of labor. Gets done, and guy comes out and says, sorry but we couldnt wash your car because were backed up. No big deal since I only handwash anyway and he says hold on. I wait 3 minutes and he says youre all set its on the house.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,153 Likes on 1,511 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by Jojipoji
so get this guys, i get quoted for around $300 bucks for 4L of fluid and an hour of labor. Gets done, and guy comes out and says, sorry but we couldnt wash your car because were backed up. No big deal since I only handwash anyway and he says hold on. I wait 3 minutes and he says youre all set its on the house.
What is on the house? The car wash or the differential fluid change?
Old 04-20-2016, 12:57 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG C63S
Jojipoji: You bought that car at Greenwich. Please tell me they didn't do the service for you for free after charging me nearly $400. No way, not possible. I will flip out..
Old 04-20-2016, 01:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63s
the fluid change was free. This was done in Hartford!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
What is on the house? The car wash or the differential fluid change?
Old 04-20-2016, 07:56 PM

Don't understand how there can be such a huge range of cost for a standard service - meaning what is done is the same for every car. Sounds like there are some rather shady dealerships out there. I am very grateful for my dealership here in ATL!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by RDOCA
Wow good dealer
I was charged 3l of lube at $19.99 each and $25.99 for each plug plus $150 labor.
$261.95 out the door for just rear end--almost double yours

At the same time I had engine oil changed for an additional $100 labor and parts for total of $197.18
If they already have me on the lift to do the oil change the should not charge as much labor for the diff.

I guess I will ask ahead next time and maybe negotiate
Which store?
Old 04-21-2016, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by cyberorth
Which store?
It is a Penske Store in San Diego
MB of San Diego

But I called to find the cost of a schedule A service at 10k miles and they quoted $340. this is the dealer I purchased from but I live near Palm Springs and called them for a price and was told $495.

Looks like these standard services should be the same price or at least the same flat rate hrs. and just their labor rate would change the price.
Buyer Beware
Maybe this is one of the reasons auto dealers get a bad reputation
Old 04-21-2016, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan
I just looked at the private lounge reply and they say the bottles of diff lube are .5L bottles so mine that showed 3 with no size shown just a number 001-989-52-03-10 at $19.99 each
If this is true then I received 1.5L of lube
Old 04-21-2016, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
that would cause u too much expenses for that, i wonder if that could be a possibility in just $200
Old 04-21-2016, 06:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63S 997.1 C2S
Originally Posted by theclutch
Ok, so here is the "summary" description of the Recall. Note it states "LOCK DIFF PLUG". Not much there, right? The reality of it is, it's actually a "CONNECTOR" plug vs. an oil plug. Here's the description of the Recall #2016020009
Done my e-diff oil change, cost ~350USD. To my surprise, there was an additional operation carried out : REWORK CONNECTOR ON ELECTRONIC LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL. Replaced a HOUSING GASKET.

No complain
Old 04-21-2016, 06:59 AM

AMG C63S
REWORK CONNECTOR ON ELECTRONIC LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL. Replaced a HOUSING GASKET.

That was supposed to be covered under warranty as it was a MB campaign (recall) and pops up when they enter your VIN. If they charged you for the service you have a bone to pick.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:11 AM

C63S 997.1 C2S
Originally Posted by CT-AMG
REWORK CONNECTOR ON ELECTRONIC LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL. Replaced a HOUSING GASKET.

That was supposed to be covered under warranty as it was a MB campaign (recall) and pops up when they enter your VIN. If they charged you for the service you have a bone to pick.
Indeed, it was covered, the USD350 ish was oil change for the e-diff. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:17 AM

AMG C63S
7th Gear: You are in Hong Kong right?
Old 04-21-2016, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by jeremyf0923
Don't understand how there can be such a huge range of cost for a standard service - meaning what is done is the same for every car. Sounds like there are some rather shady dealerships out there. I am very grateful for my dealership here in ATL!
Service departments exist to make money. Unnecessary work is the norm and you can't ever do too much "preventative maintenance". If you approve the work, then blame yourself.

If you don't question it, you will get soaked. just because the "recommend" something, it does not mean it's, mandated. That's their job

Has anyone ever seen any documentation that states that the electronic diff is filled with "break-in" fluid from the factory. If that's truly the case, they should not charge you to drain and replace.

Last edited by callmiro; 04-21-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 AM

AMG C63S
"Has anyone ever seen any documentation that states that the electronic diff is filled with "break-in" fluid from the factory. If that's truly the case, they should not charge you to drain and replace."

No, but I have seen documentation from MB that states you MUST change the fluid at 1850 miles. I don't think its break in fluid per se, but it is fluid that suspends shavings and coatings that after 1850 miles needs to be changed. There is another member on here who races and tore apart his rear diff. MB wasn't going to warranty it because he didn't change the oil at 1850 but, backed off because the dealer removed the sticker prior to delivery and the owner had no idea.

Look, I paid more than ANYONE in the world for mine to be done. That includes Europe, Hong Kong, Australia and US, but I had to get it done to remain covered under warranty.

My only regret is not asking for a quote BEFORE I brought it in, or at least calling a couple of other dealers to compare prices. I may have bought my car from my local Dealer but, they won't get me again on the service side. I'll bring it somewhere else out of principle if they are going to be 30-100% than anyone else in the world.. I also have 3 MB's so my service business is pretty robust
Old 04-21-2016, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
"Has anyone ever seen any documentation that states that the electronic diff is filled with "break-in" fluid from the factory. If that's truly the case, they should not charge you to drain and replace."

No, but I have seen documentation from MB that states you MUST change the fluid at 1850 miles. I don't think its break in fluid per se, but it is fluid that suspends shavings and coatings that after 1850 miles needs to be changed. There is another member on here who races and tore apart his rear diff. MB wasn't going to warranty it because he didn't change the oil at 1850 but, backed off because the dealer removed the sticker prior to delivery and the owner had no idea.

Look, I paid more than ANYONE in the world for mine to be done. That includes Europe, Hong Kong, Australia and US, but I had to get it done to remain covered under warranty.

My only regret is not asking for a quote BEFORE I brought it in, or at least calling a couple of other dealers to compare prices. I may have bought my car from my local Dealer but, they won't get me again on the service side. I'll bring it somewhere else out of principle if they are going to be 30-100% than anyone else in the world.. I also have 3 MB's so my service business is pretty robust
The example of the racer above was not an Electronic Diff. Everybody, including the Service Reps, are making generalizations, based on a process that was required for W204's and LSD's. Electronic diffs are very different animals and different tolerances.

So just asking about the validity of the actual service and related charge to the owner.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:03 AM

C63S 997.1 C2S
7th Gear: You are in Hong Kong right?
I am indeed. Actually the most expensive item was the screws? 50USD each...

Last edited by 7th_gear; 04-21-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by callmiro
The example of the racer above was not an Electronic Diff. Everybody, including the Service Reps, are making generalizations, based on a process that was required for W204's and LSD's. Electronic diffs are very different animals and different tolerances.

So just asking about the validity of the actual service and related charge to the owner.

There has been a lot of debate on here about whether or not the electronic differential needs the fluid service. You can search and see everyone going back and forth about it.

The member on here that claimed his differential wouldn't be covered under warranty never explicitly said the MB wouldn't warranty the part. He said that the dealer wouldn't initially warranty it and then was given some sort of excuse from the dealer that said since the 'sticker' was removed from the windshield that they would warranty it.

Everyone on here needs to take a step back and realize that service departments are the major profit center of a dealership. Unless you are extremely lucky to find one that is honest (which I am and it's one of the main reasons I bought my car), they are never going to turn down doing unnecessary service on your vehicle. Why look deeper into whether or not the differential service is needed if you are willing to pay $300+ for it?

As stated in a previous post, and electronic differential is very different than a standard LSD.

If you don't believe that it's possible for a differential to not need the early fluid change, look at the service recommendations for the SLS. It's a Mercedes-AMG model with an LSD rear differential, and no early fluid service was required.

Last edited by msd3075; 04-21-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Guys, gone are the days when I took my Acura integra to get a $27 oil change. No matter how you slice it, a service A is an oil / filter service that should be no more than $80 considering synthetic oil. The mark up is just a subjective number the company adds to the rightful price and is changeable day to day customer to customer. To whatever extend you may feel ripped off or have gotten a good deal, you are overcharged. And that is part of owning a MB and an AMG.
Best options are always knowledgeable Indy shops that you make a relationship with. If you choose "dealer" (myself included) you're just going to have to "deal." Stop worrying about it and move on.
Who do you think pays for the coffee, donut and directv playing in the lounge while you wait? For the "free" car wash, marble floor and the lights and all the people that are walking around the dealership? It's an expensive production.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:53 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by cyberorth
Guys, gone are the days when I took my Acura integra to get a $27 oil change. No matter how you slice it, a service A is an oil / filter service that should be no more than $80 considering synthetic oil. The mark up is just a subjective number the company adds to the rightful price and is changeable day to day customer to customer. To whatever extend you may feel ripped off or have gotten a good deal, you are overcharged. And that is part of owning a MB and an AMG.
Best options are always knowledgeable Indy shops that you make a relationship with. If you choose "dealer" (myself included) you're just going to have to "deal." Stop worrying about it and move on.
Who do you think pays for the coffee, donut and directv playing in the lounge while you wait? For the "free" car wash, marble floor and the lights and all the people that are walking around the dealership? It's an expensive production.

That's why the 'dealer' I go to is an independent MB dealer that has been around for forever and doesn't have any of the excess frills that the major places have. The inside of their shop/showroom feels like something straight out of an 80's Chevy dealership. They get repeat business because they are honest about the service/repairs you need, are fair on their pricing, and still have the old-school trust factor. They have many, many repeat customers because of the way they do business. I know the service advisor and head mechanic by name (they are husband and wife), and both are willing to answer any question openly and honestly. None of the normal dealership fluff. Both are extremely knowledgeable about their product and own/service/modify their own personal AMG cars.

Last edited by msd3075; 04-21-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:56 PM

I have to give props to my MB dealership here in ATL - Atlanta Classic Cars. Not only was their price one of the cheapest reported for this service, but there service area was top quality - extremely clean, loads of TVs, free food/drinks, private cubicles for those that need to work, and even a fitness center. All of which I would expect from a high end MB dealership. On top of that, the waiting area was on the 3rd floor and overlooked the enormous service bay. I literally watched them perform the entire service on my car. Was pretty neat to be able to see them doing the work. My point is that it is possible to get both - very fair pricing AND an expensive production (as cyberoth mentions). Unfortunately, it sounds like my experience is the exception to the rule.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E63 S-AMG Wagon
2 years into the future....

Originally Posted by mister2d
Lol. The confusion level from MB on this is through the stratosphere. Causing their customers to scatter in panic.

People, get your LSD oil changed after the first couple thousand break-in miles. It's just that simple.
Didn't know these cars HAD an LSD,.. both my manual and my build sheet state:471 -MECHANICAL LOCKING DIFFERENTIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Oil Change No Longer Needed at 2K?