Sponsored by:

Dealer demo concerns? C63s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 04:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63s Sedan (W205)
Question Dealer demo concerns? C63s

I'm considering picking up a dealer demo car from 2015 with a production date of 11/24/2014.They say it was used at PGA events, etc.. to "show off what AMG is about". It has 1,700 miles on it, never titled.

Any concerns I should have about the trans/break-in issues if the break-in period wasn't followed?

They are asking about 19% off original MSRP, but considering its a 2015 I think it should be a bit more.

I'm just concerned about it being a demo and a very early production date.

Although it does sound better than buying used with more miles...

Thoughts?
Old 08-21-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
Uh, I bought my 30mi odometer 2015 at the beginning of 2016.. for 13% off MSRP.

It's mid-2017 now.. with 2018s about to hit the dealer lots; they should be selling that at 30-40% discount minimum, if not more.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:06 PM

C63s Sedan (W205)
Originally Posted by vaelin
Uh, I bought my 30mi odometer 2015 at the beginning of 2016.. for 13% off MSRP.

It's mid-2017 now.. with 2018s about to hit the dealer lots; they should be selling that at 30-40% discount minimum, if not more.
They're selling for 30% off used with 20,000 miles. That would be nice but wishful thinking. I was thinking of asking for 28%
Old 08-21-2017, 05:50 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by WhiteC63s
They're selling for 30% off used with 20,000 miles. That would be nice but wishful thinking. I was thinking of asking for 28%
For all intents and purposes, a 1700mi dealer demo is still a used vehicle.

If they've got a 30% 2015 with 20k miles, they're willing to go lower on the used one.. and thus you should be able to get at LEAST 30% on this 'dealer demo'.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Lexus GS 350 F-Sport
I wouldn't touch it if I was you. Guarantee you that car has been driven extremely hard and likely too soon.

That price is also outrageous. I just bought a 2017 C63 S with 730 miles on it for just over 20 percent off MSRP.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:05 PM

C63s Sedan (W205)
Originally Posted by UniversalGC
I wouldn't touch it if I was you. Guarantee you that car has been driven extremely hard and likely too soon.

That price is also outrageous. I just bought a 2017 C63 S with 730 miles on it for just over 20 percent off MSRP.
How did you manage that much off? I've been talking to about 5 different dealers and offered them all 20% off MSRP for 2017's they have on the lot and offered to pay today in cash but none would take it.

*EDIT: Ah, I see your other post now, it was technically used, nice deal though!

Last edited by WhiteC63s; 08-21-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:07 AM

'15 C63S
If you've got patience, wait until January. Those dealers scoffing at your offer will BEG you to take the 2017s off their lot.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
For all intents and purposes, a 1700mi dealer demo is still a new vehicle.
Fixed that for you. A dealer demo has the full warranty starting from the in-service date, which is the day you buy it. Any financial institution still considers it a "new" vehicle and will finance it as such. It is, for all intents and purposes, a new car.

OP: I bought a '16 C63 S w/ ~350 miles for just over 25% off MSRP in April. You should DEFINITELY be able to do better than 19% off on a demo '15.

If you go this route, ask them to do an A Service on it as a condition of the sale (oil/filter change), plus a brake fluid bleed, and the rear diff service (due at 2k miles).
Old 08-22-2017, 12:38 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by nobbyv
Fixed that for you. A dealer demo has the full warranty starting from the in-service date, which is the day you buy it. Any financial institution still considers it a "new" vehicle and will finance it as such. It is, for all intents and purposes, a new car.

OP: I bought a '16 C63 S w/ ~350 miles for just over 25% off MSRP in April. You should DEFINITELY be able to do better than 19% off on a demo '15.

If you go this route, ask them to do an A Service on it as a condition of the sale (oil/filter change), plus a brake fluid bleed, and the rear diff service (due at 2k miles).
1700 miles of dealer 'demo'ing. That's used. Regardless of warranty in-service, someone else has been banging on the engine and tranny during that 1700 miles.

As for financing; several financing institutions including Bank of America will not provide a new car loan on a vehicle with a MY further than -1 than the current year. When I purchased my 2015 (in 2016) this came into question by BOFA, and they specifically stated they would only finance 2015s and 2016s. Granted, not all financial institutions will have this restriction (I know credit unions don't care) but it may become an issue for the OP.

Either way though, the car has been beaten on for 1700 miles.. make no mistake about it.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:23 PM

C63s Sedan (W205)
Financing is no problem, I plan to pay cash for it. I'm just not sure if I should offer around $60k for it or wait for some other lightly used cars to come on the market. I don't really want to pay new car prices, I'd much prefer to keep the price around $60k - $65k max with the right options. I'm looking at cars with MSRPs around $85k - $88k

I don't mind the 1,700 miles, I'm comparing it to other used cars so 1,700 is pretty low and as with any used car you have to assume it has been beat on at least somewhat.

I also haven't been able to find anything with the black multi spoke wheels and don't like the typical 5 spoke silver ones so I'd probably have to spend at least $3k for new wheels too.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:02 PM

'15 C63S
Doesn't hurt to offer 60k and say you'll walk. You'll find examples of lightly used ones hitting the market soon, as we're approaching the end of 3 year leases. The dealer should also be aware of that too, as the CPO market will be flooded soon with them later this year, and that 2015 1700mi example isn't going to really sell at that price point they're asking for.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:50 PM

Either way though, the car has been beaten on for 1700 miles.. make no mistake about it.
This seems to be a common reply when speaking about demo cars, and I have to admit I don't buy it. They're not handing an $85k car to the 18-year-old stoner kid that washes the cars to take for the weekend. Was this car likely driven in a "spirited" fashion a few times? Sure. I would hope ALL AMG cars are driven in a spirited fashion from time to time. Exactly what "beating" is this supposed to give the cars? Sure, if someone is taking the car to the drag strip and launching it dozens of times every weekend, that would probably be a concern. It would also be obvious: non-OEM tires, worn brakes, etc. I've also done dozens of test drives as a customer, both solo and with dealership employees, and I've never done anything to "beat" on a car, and am doubtful anyone that could actually afford this car would either.

I know many (most) will disagree, and that's fine, I certainly understand the conservative approach. I also don't tend to keep my cars more than 1-2 years, so maybe I'm a bit less concerned about long-term effects (though, as I stated, I think the potential for long-term effects is WAY over-exaggerated). I didn't hesitate for a second to pick up a car with 350 miles on it, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pick this one up either, if the deal is right.
The following users liked this post:
Star4life (08-23-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 02:54 PM

C63s Sedan (W205)
This seems to be a common reply when speaking about demo cars, and I have to admit I don't buy it. They're not handing an $85k car to the 18-year-old stoner kid that washes the cars to take for the weekend. Was this car likely driven in a "spirited" fashion a few times? Sure. I would hope ALL AMG cars are driven in a spirited fashion from time to time. Exactly what "beating" is this supposed to give the cars? Sure, if someone is taking the car to the drag strip and launching it dozens of times every weekend, that would probably be a concern. It would also be obvious: non-OEM tires, worn brakes, etc. I've also done dozens of test drives as a customer, both solo and with dealership employees, and I've never done anything to "beat" on a car, and am doubtful anyone that could actually afford this car would either.

I know many (most) will disagree, and that's fine, I certainly understand the conservative approach. I also don't tend to keep my cars more than 1-2 years, so maybe I'm a bit less concerned about long-term effects (though, as I stated, I think the potential for long-term effects is WAY over-exaggerated). I didn't hesitate for a second to pick up a car with 350 miles on it, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pick this one up either, if the deal is right.

Agreed. I think some people compare it to buying a brand new car where they don't want anyone driving it, but if you're paying used car prices for a practically new car I think it's a good deal.
Star4life (08-23-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 03:27 PM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG

Buying a demo vehicle is one thing, but the OP's "demo" vehicle was used specifically for performance driving events. That means almost all 1,700 miles were all out thrashing miles. The fact that they even disclosed that says it all! They want to make sure any future issues don't come back to haunt them due to non-disclosure of material cirucmstances.

When I take my car to the track, I'll touch the curbs or leave a little space. If I'm tracking a car like this, I'm riding those curbs like I'm in F1 because it's not my car and I'm pushing to the max.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:51 PM

'15 C63S
My understanding is that AMG Academy cars can also be sold as dealer demos. And I've been on enough test drives with my local dealer where they've told me to launch it that, given repeated across 1700 miles of test drives, that would constitute a beating. Ymmv of course, but I'd shy away from it.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Is this the car?
nobbyv (08-23-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 04:08 PM

C63s Sedan (W205)
ha! Nope
Old 08-22-2017, 10:42 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
C204 C250-CDI

Demo = used end of story.

It is a conflicting one because anyone buying a demo gets everything you get when buying new because it's still a "first hand" or first owner rather than "second hand" that's the confusion

OP if your going to buy a demo give it a thorough looking over especially underneath, put it up on a hoist if need be I've lost count of the number of people I've encountered who've purchased ex-demos to find physical damage underneath from careless dealer employees who don't really take care...
Old 08-22-2017, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Range Rover
As is true for most things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle if we are generalizing. But for me, the uncertainty is what would keep me up at night and make me walk away. But I also generally have a fear of the unknown.

If I was looking for used and saw this, the price would have to be a "can't walk away from it" kind of number, recognizing that that number is subjective. And it doesn't sound like the dealer's number has come down to reality.

Not sure I would feel any different if it was a single owner v. a demo with same miles. I think the OP said PGA type events and not academies, but "showing off AMG" doesn't sound like letting people tour the inside...
Old 08-23-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Noslak
Buying a demo vehicle is one thing, but the OP's "demo" vehicle was used specifically for performance driving events. That means almost all 1,700 miles were all out thrashing miles. The fact that they even disclosed that says it all! They want to make sure any future issues don't come back to haunt them due to non-disclosure of material cirucmstances.

When I take my car to the track, I'll touch the curbs or leave a little space. If I'm tracking a car like this, I'm riding those curbs like I'm in F1 because it's not my car and I'm pushing to the max.
If that's true, I'd agree with you, but I don't think OP said that? He said it was at PGA events to "show off AMG".
Old 08-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG C63S
The car is a 2015.. Why on earth would anyone be buying a 2015 when for the same price they are asking you could have a 2016 or maybe even a 2017?

As far as 1700 miles and beating.. We have all read how the rpm's should be kept at certain levels during break in. Whether or not we agree or follow is another matter, but you can bet that the car in question was redlined from mile one so, the break in probably wasnt a concern for anyone.

17's should be priced around 65k
16's should be priced around 60k
15's should be priced around 55k

That's what I am seeing and the price will vary based on mileage, options, etc..
Old 08-23-2017, 11:18 AM

AMG C63S
One more point to make about low mileage and high mileage..

A used car guy once told me that they value mileage somewhere around 20-25 cents per mile on Mercedes.

So a car with no mileage would be worth about $2000-2500 more than one with 10k miles and $4000-5000 more than one with 20k miles etc..

If you arent getting at least 30% off of msrp on the 2015 you are making a bad buy.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:37 AM

C63s Sedan (W205)
Well they won't take $60k so my search continues... I'm not in a hurry to buy, just looking for a clean white or selenite.

There's really not much on the market right now and I'd say the market is a bit higher than what the general consensus has been on this board. There's hardly anything listed under $65k unless its a base c63 Hertz rental (not sure why Hertz has AMGs?)
Old 08-23-2017, 11:50 AM

AMG C63S
I have to disagree. Anyone with a lease on swapalease (for example) could assign you their lease and you can buy it at the residual price. That makes every car out there priced at 60k or less and much less if the seller is looking to pay incentives to get out.

I communicated with you and told you mine is actually UNDER 60k but, it isnt white. Mine isnt listed for sale or on swapalease, but I would get out to get an 18'.

If you are limited to white then you are limiting yourself to less than 15% of the C63s AMG's made. If you could take any color and wrap it, then you could find the best car at the best price and still have a white car.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:09 PM

C63s Sedan (W205)
Originally Posted by CT-AMG
I have to disagree. Anyone with a lease on swapalease (for example) could assign you their lease and you can buy it at the residual price. That makes every car out there priced at 60k or less and much less if the seller is looking to pay incentives to get out.

I communicated with you and told you mine is actually UNDER 60k but, it isnt white. Mine isnt listed for sale or on swapalease, but I would get out to get an 18'.

If you are limited to white then you are limiting yourself to less than 15% of the C63s AMG's made. If you could take any color and wrap it, then you could find the best car at the best price and still have a white car.
Yeah, I should probably look at leases a bit closer. Your car seems like a great deal though. I'm just not in much of a hurry and would rather wait to find what I'm looking for. I've considered wrapping but it's not the same to me, I like to detail and work with paint vs vinyl.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dealer demo concerns? C63s