C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one here test drive or own the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Any one here test drive or own the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio?

NO, Im not considering it as a C63S Coupe replacement so please breathe LOL.... but Im looking for some real world thoughts here. I have seen the reviews, read the accolades, read the issues, but unlike the M4/M3 Forum where its compared alot, I dont see much dialogue here.

Let me know your thoughts on your test drives or even ownership or even just thoughts
Old 09-29-2017, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Vic55
NO, Im not considering it as a C63S Coupe replacement so please breathe LOL.... but Im looking for some real world thoughts here. I have seen the reviews, read the accolades, read the issues, but unlike the M4/M3 Forum where its compared alot, I dont see much dialogue here.

Let me know your thoughts on your test drives or even ownership or even just thoughts
Vic,
I have not been able to test drive one yet but I do have a thought on all the test results I have seen.
They are of course tested against the C63/M3/ATS-V etc. and all of them have Mich. PSS tires except the Alfa which has a race tire equivalent to the Mich Cup 2 tire. that makes a big difference in performance measurements as you know, so I would like to see a apples to apples test with the same tires.
Also I think most of the tests had the Alfa breaking down in some manner.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
I've just sat in one. Not driven. I was cross shopping the car with the C63s. I decided against even driving it because it wouldn't matter if I liked it better or not, the reliability and reported nuisances are too much to ignore. Maybe in the next iteration I'd look at it. I know this doesn't apply to your question, but I just thought I'd say WHY I didn't drive one.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:07 AM

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
GLC43, X P100D, S P100D, CT200H

It looks cool but....

I do not think I would ever consider something so rare/unpopular because to me, that also means:

- Less dealerships to repair
- Less spare sparts in stock
- Super expensive and long repair times
- Lower resale value
- Its Italian (no ownership experience, but I do not believe I have ever heard anybody put Italian and reliable in the same sentence in a positive context)

It doesnt affect any of you, but I am also in Taiwan. South Taiwan has 1 Maserati dealership. I heard that the average repair time for the Ghibli (not that I would get 1) is 1 month here.

Can you imagine that? Waiting 1 month for the dealership to fix your car. No thanks

Last edited by waisoserious; 09-30-2017 at 05:14 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
E63

I drove one recently.
Nice tight car, smaller and more nimble than C63, BUT while the test results are very comparable, the C63 feels and sounds much stronger at low to mid range. If you have room to open it up, Alfa feels comparable above 5000 rpm.
For driving around town, the C is way more rewarding. A country drive in curvy roads would probably favor the Alfa.
For me it was a no brainer - keep the C63S.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:32 AM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
I test drove one a few months ago. Very impressed with it. Handling was excellent, it felt slightly down on power compared to the the C63 but a little more responsive. Interior is nice but the C63 is a lot nicer. I didn't hear any rattles in the demo car at all. The exhaust sound was fantastic. If I were looking for another C63/M4/M3/RS5 class of car I would certainly add it to the list of choices.

Last edited by DragonRR; 10-02-2017 at 03:35 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by thunderMB
I drove one recently.
Nice tight car, smaller and more nimble than C63, BUT while the test results are very comparable, the C63 feels and sounds much stronger at low to mid range. If you have room to open it up, Alfa feels comparable above 5000 rpm.
For driving around town, the C is way more rewarding. A country drive in curvy roads would probably favor the Alfa.
For me it was a no brainer - keep the C63S.
Originally Posted by DragonRR
I test drove one a few months ago. Very impressed with it. Handling was excellent, it felt slightly down on power compared to the the C63 but a little more responsive. Interior is nice but the C63 is a lot nicer. I didn't hear any rattles in the demo car at all. The exhaust sound was fantastic. If I were looking for another C63/M4/M3/RS5 class of car I would certainly add it to the list of choices.

Thanks to all and thanks to the above users who drove it.

Thunder I can see what you are talking about in regards to usability on the street as the tq curves are different between our AMG's and the QV.

Thanks Dragon... I guess I need to get behind the wheel of one.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 C63S Sedan
I test drove one a while back before I decided on the AMG. Rides smooth, sounds great, looks beautiful. During the test drive I matted the throttle on a freeway on ramp and it threw a check engine light. Limped back to the dealer, parked the car and got out of there as fast as I could.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C 63 S
Test drove both and ended up buying the AMG - Pros for the AMG, sounds awesome, feel of the road was better. Pros for the Giulia, the steering wheel is amazing but the brakes felt odd to me. Overall it came down to whether I wanted to roll the dice on reliability at a high level and the level of comfort/options on the AMG - pano roof for example
Old 10-03-2017, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
Originally Posted by RDOCA
Vic,
I have not been able to test drive one yet but I do have a thought on all the test results I have seen.
They are of course tested against the C63/M3/ATS-V etc. and all of them have Mich. PSS tires except the Alfa which has a race tire equivalent to the Mich Cup 2 tire. that makes a big difference in performance measurements as you know, so I would like to see a apples to apples test with the same tires.
Also I think most of the tests had the Alfa breaking down in some manner.
This is my problem. They equip the car with 60 treadwear tires and the competition pack m3/4 still beats it on a much more street friendly tire.

I absolutely love the car, but would have a hard time buying one with the dealer networks being weak and the electrical problems I have read and seen in reviews.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:33 AM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
I looked into it, but then I saw how terribly unreliable it is and I decided to pass.

The C63S is the perfect mix of everything, not as fast as the M3 on the track and I think the M3 looks a bit "sportier". But the interior of the C63S blows the M3/M4 out of the water, the exhaust and engine sound WAY better (an no need for fake engine sounds from the speakers) and the power is much greater. Plus, M3/M4's are a dime a dozen where I live, but I rarely see any C63's (especially the "S")

The car isn't going to be on the track more than once or twice a year and even when it is, it's not on there to set lap records, it's on there for me to enjoy the car and have some fun with it. I came from 2 M3's and Porsche 911 Turbo and for me, this is a really great car!!!
Old 02-12-2018, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 Kleeman; CLS63 Renntech; Kirkham 427S/C; 308 GTB; 911T 3.0 911 cab 3.6
I had a Kleeman modified W204 C63 and a Renntech CLS 63. I just bought a Quadrifoglio and love it. I live on the east coast where most of the driving is on hilly twisty back roads. The C63 had about 570-600 hp and was fun. It’s steering was a bit slow. It felt like a German Mustang GT in some respects. Great in the straights. Fun to steer with the throttle. The CLS had about 700 hp, but it felt like a pig on anything other than a smooth interstate highway. The Alfa is a blast. Great steering and great steering wheel! Fast but it doesn’t have the light up the tires down low explosive torque that the N/A C63 had. But much more tossable and faster in the twisties. Similar to a BMW 2002 with a lot of motor. The Quad has a surprising amount of room inside. I am very happy with it. And I have Michelin winter tires on it and it’s still a blast.
The following users liked this post:
amgn00b (02-14-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 605 Likes on 345 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5

I test drove one, as the Alfa dealership near me had 3 in stock and were really desperate to move them. Heavy discounts on these as you already know, the car was amazing. Steering was direct and felt much livelier than the C63 and the power was on par. The interior quality was also great, but overall the reliability issues scared me away. I could have had a new one for less than the price of my slightly used C63s with 4K miles on it, but I passed. Great car, just not for me.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:46 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Originally Posted by raudiace4
I test drove one, as the Alfa dealership near me had 3 in stock and were really desperate to move them. Heavy discounts on these as you already know, the car was amazing. Steering was direct and felt much livelier than the C63 and the power was on par. The interior quality was also great, but overall the reliability issues scared me away. I could have had a new one for less than the price of my slightly used C63s with 4K miles on it, but I passed. Great car, just not for me.
Huh, it’s so weird to see such a disparity between dealers inventory statuses. When I was shopping just recently, I contacted someone who locates and buys cars for people. I said I felt like since it’s an FCA product I should be able to walk in and get 10% off without blinking. He said normally, yes, but the Quad is the only model selling. My experience with the 2 dealerships within 300 miles of me was similar - great offers on the lower trim models but wouldn’t budge $20 on the Quads.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 605 Likes on 345 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Originally Posted by JWreck

Huh, it’s so weird to see such a disparity between dealers inventory statuses. When I was shopping just recently, I contacted someone who locates and buys cars for people. I said I felt like since it’s an FCA product I should be able to walk in and get 10% off without blinking. He said normally, yes, but the Quad is the only model selling. My experience with the 2 dealerships within 300 miles of me was similar - great offers on the lower trim models but wouldn’t budge $20 on the Quads.
That is weird, where are you located? In Chicago area suburbs there are a few you can score for up to 10K off MSRP or more easily.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:06 PM

C63 Kleeman; CLS63 Renntech; Kirkham 427S/C; 308 GTB; 911T 3.0 911 cab 3.6
Discounts vary widely according to location. On 2018 Quads, $5-6k of of MSRP is easy to get in the Northeast. In AZ and CA, some dealers are still charging above MSRP. But dealers will ship, so shop around beyond your area.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:56 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
2018 C63 Coupe
The Alfa is cool but I'm not cool with how the car mags and Youtube reviews largely downplay how much of an impact its insanely soft (60 treadwear) tires have on its handling.
RDOCA (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Fame Douglas
The Alfa is cool but I'm not cool with how the car mags and Youtube reviews largely downplay how much of an impact its insanely soft (60 treadwear) tires have on its handling.
right on --put it on the reg PSS like the competition and show us the new numbers.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:20 PM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
I've not driven one but I was really turned off by the fact that the Alfa's rear seats don't fold down. I don't know if it's an absolute deal-breaker but when you're going against established cars like the M3 and C63 you really need to double-down on the features, not be missing them. The C63S is my daily driver and there are countless times where folding the seats has come in handy.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
2018 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by RDOCA
right on --put it on the reg PSS like the competition and show us the new numbers.
EVO UK has one in their long term fleet. They post monthly updates. After a single track day the tires were trashed. Chunked, etc. "Looks like we won't be taking it to the track again." Yet they never mentioned any of this in the actual review of the car, nor any of the comparison tests. This is why I hate automotive journalists. They are almost never honest about any car they test. Their reviews are worthless.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:22 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
Sat in all of the seats for a LONG time to try to see if I could live with it. Drove it quite a bit after that...twice. My impressions are that the car DOES drive fantastic. To me (i.e. - in my opinion), it drives much better than the Comp M3 and my AMG. The turn in is just sharp and awesome. The engine sound is NOT better than the AMG. The car feels a lot lighter and more nimble. Having said that, I'm going to pass. Why? I can't live with it. I'm not a big guy but it's just too damn small inside. I really feel cramped. Further, I'm a "gadget guy". There is simply not enough gadgets in the Alfa to justify the pricepoint for me. The trunk space appears smaller for me also. And as much as the stereo in my AMG sucks (Burmester), the stereo in the Alfa sucks more. In summary, while the Alfa is "that" much better on the track than my AMG, my AMG is THAT much better in daily life than the Alfa. If I were to put numbers to it, if the Alfa is a 9 on the track and the AMG is an 8, the AMG is a 9 on the street and the Alfa is a 6.5 or 7. Hope that helps.

On a separate note, the Stelvio even in the 4 cyl guise, drives THAT much better than the Macan variants (S, GTS, Turbo), Q5/SQ5, F pace. I haven't driven the GLC43 AMG yet. But the AMG will be too pricey. The Stelvio fully loaded can be had for high 40's after incentives. But again, what hurts it is not enough gadgets and less room. But for high 40's? I think it's very well worth it.
right_mr (02-16-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C43

Thanks for all the help guys!
Quick update:
C43: still trying to find allocations down here in FL. Reaching out to other dealers to check pricing for pre-orders. Dealers are really not paying attention because of 2018models that they are trying to get rid off...
Quadrifoglio: down to a price very comparable to a new C43 2019 heavily loaded.
Maserati: interesting enough this is the cheapest option out the 3 models... going to test drive to check build quality and reliability as you guys suggested.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:45 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
I do find it interesting that you’re comparing a C43 to a Quad. They’re not competitors.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:36 PM

C63S
Ditto

Originally Posted by Strafe1
I've just sat in one. Not driven. I was cross shopping the car with the C63s. I decided against even driving it because it wouldn't matter if I liked it better or not, the reliability and reported nuisances are too much to ignore. Maybe in the next iteration I'd look at it. I know this doesn't apply to your question, but I just thought I'd say WHY I didn't drive one.
I sat in the first one that our dealer received and I liked it but for all the reasons you mentioned in addition to the electric brakes, I passed.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport
I have the the Alfa Romeo stelvio ti, not quadrifoglio, and while the car is very good looking and modestly quick compared to to pretty much everything else in its price bracket, the only thing that is dissapointing is the customer service from the alfa romeo dealership. Ssince they are new, they don't have any fancy facilities like mercedes and all the other luxury dealerships. Also, when you need to drop off your car for any sort of repairs, be it an Alfa or Maserati (they are in the same building) they will give you a standard rental car lol. I find that very off puting since most people are spending anywhere from 40k to 150k for a new Alfa or maserati, and I don't want to drive in a basic chevy or toyota while my car is in the dealership.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any one here test drive or own the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio?