Sponsored by:

Skipping Wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:40 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Funny I noticed the wipers were skipping on my Coupe earlier today when it started to sprinkle a little bit. I figured it was because it was a small sprinkle and the windshield was still pretty dry. Also probably doesn't help that it's been covered in dead bugs and grime for over a month.
Hah, mine do it on a perfectly clean and recently polished (with 3M Glass polish) windshield. New wipers about 2 months ago.

I’m at a loss, I am pretty sure the OEM wipers suck but there aren’t many options out there. I really am about to just have my windshield coated with a ceramic coating...I know Mercedes says not to but I think wipers should work without skipping, don’t you?
Old 07-08-2018, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Originally Posted by JWreck

Hah, mine do it on a perfectly clean and recently polished (with 3M Glass polish) windshield. New wipers about 2 months ago.

I’m at a loss, I am pretty sure the OEM wipers suck but there aren’t many options out there. I really am about to just have my windshield coated with a ceramic coating...I know Mercedes says not to but I think wipers should work without skipping, don’t you?
Ceramic coating did not help at all
Old 08-31-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C300 Coupe
Just had my new 2018 C300 coupe at the dealer for this issue. It is not the angle of blade because it skips both ways, not just one. The salesperson told me that because the wiper beam is attached at only one place in the center, there is not enough pressure applied to the entire length of the blade, causing it to skip (flop). Says M-B will not admit that they are defective. The dealer did a process, took an hour, to clean windshield so that water would sheet, not bead. This is contrary to what we are all taught about glass, rain and visibility. I am still waiting on some rain to find out if it worked but based on others' experiences and comments from my salesperson, I am not hopeful. Stay tuned. . .
Old 08-31-2018, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by KDLady
Just had my new 2018 C300 coupe at the dealer for this issue. It is not the angle of blade because it skips both ways, not just one. The salesperson told me that because the wiper beam is attached at only one place in the center, there is not enough pressure applied to the entire length of the blade, causing it to skip (flop). Says M-B will not admit that they are defective. The dealer did a process, took an hour, to clean windshield so that water would sheet, not bead. This is contrary to what we are all taught about glass, rain and visibility. I am still waiting on some rain to find out if it worked but based on others' experiences and comments from my salesperson, I am not hopeful. Stay tuned. . .
The cleaning process works. Just be prepared to do it every month.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
c43
Makes sense. Is there another wiper arm from a different MB model that might work/fit this? We have few other non MB cars and the design is very different with multiple attach points.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:34 AM

2018 C300 Coupe
It's been a month, but I finally drove is some rain last Friday. Nothing changed. Wipers still dragging across the glass. Since I am on my own on this one, I am experimenting. I used Nu Finish wax on one side of windshield. Fingers crossed. No rain in sight for at least the next week.

JWreck - I appreciate the feedback, but it is contradictory. If I need to do this process at the dealer once a month, it DOESN'T work.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
I hope your dealers sort it out. On my previous car , gla 45, which I got brand new , the wipers worked flawlessly UNTIL I took it for it's very first annual service and when it came back apparently on the service record , the clowns had apparently replaced the wiper blades and they were shocking all of a sudden. I couldn't see a thing and they made a horrendous noise too. I remember I had to buy replacement wipers, Bosch I think and that improved things but I was so vexed that from perfectly working wipers, the dealer screwed up my wipers. I believe the replacement wipers did do the trick. touch wood so far I've had no issues on the 63. I've slathered polish , autoglym fast glass and rain x 2 in 1 and whatever rubbish the Albanian gangster car hand wash guys use when I take.it there from time to time.
Scotty Kilmer has some great tips on cleaning wipers https://youtu.be/WTkbwli1i2Y

Lastly I had a ceramic coating stuck on the 63 when I bought it which may make a difference overall.

but if all else fails I suggest Rain X 2 in 1 and use it on the wiper blades too after checking if they are not torn etc.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by right_mr
I hope your dealers sort it out. On my previous car , gla 45, which I got brand new , the wipers worked flawlessly UNTIL I took it for it's very first annual service and when it came back apparently on the service record , the clowns had apparently replaced the wiper blades and they were shocking all of a sudden. I couldn't see a thing and they made a horrendous noise too. I remember I had to buy replacement wipers, Bosch I think and that improved things but I was so vexed that from perfectly working wipers, the dealer screwed up my wipers. I believe the replacement wipers did do the trick. touch wood so far I've had no issues on the 63. I've slathered polish , autoglym fast glass and rain x 2 in 1 and whatever rubbish the Albanian gangster car hand wash guys use when I take.it there from time to time.
Scotty Kilmer has some great tips on cleaning wipers https://youtu.be/WTkbwli1i2Y

Lastly I had a ceramic coating stuck on the 63 when I bought it which may make a difference overall.

but if all else fails I suggest Rain X 2 in 1 and use it on the wiper blades too after checking if they are not torn etc.
So you put a ceramic coating on your windshield?
Old 10-07-2018, 01:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]

So you put a ceramic coating on your windshield?
i got a deal on stargard interior and exterior with an apparent life time guarantee from the dealer. I doubt they would have touched the Windows, im not sure but it is v unlikely they have a window coating included. I use a few different products on my Windows. currently playing around with rain X. seems to work over 40mph with wipers turned off when raining. definitely better than having nothing on . my wipers are fine. I wonder if the blades are deteriorating due to the wiper fluid and or heat for some folks ?

I've got the night pack on mine and the fluid from the rear wiper screen wash on my wagon reaches the rear Windows and has left permanent blotches on the rubberized bits . I always suspected concentrated sulphuric acid as being the main active ingredient lol

Last edited by right_mr; 10-07-2018 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:27 AM

2018 C300 Coupe
Silicone wiper blades

I was at the dealer yesterday for another issue and mentioned the blades. I was really not interesting in wasting my Saturday at the dealership with this issue (since they have no fix for it) but they suggested replacing the blades, which they did. Still waiting on some rain in ATL. I haven't had a chance to see what the Nufinish did, if anything. Next, I am trying some PIAA silicone blades. www.piaa.com They didn't show the w205 C class on the list so I called them and they told me what size I needed. Has anyone looked at the amount of pressure applied by the blade on the glass? Maybe it is too much/too tight so it doesn't float? I don't know, but there has got to be an explanation especially since this happens on a lot of M-B models.

Last edited by KDLady; 10-07-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 AM

I was at the dealer yesterday for another issue and mentioned the blades. I was really not interesting in wasting my Saturday at the dealership with this issue (since they have no fix for it) but they suggested replacing the blades, which they did. Still waiting on some rain in ATL. I haven't had a chance to see what the Nufinish did, if anything. Next, I am trying some PIAA silicone blades. www.piaa.com They didn't show the w205 C class on the list so I called them and they told me what size I needed. Has anyone looked at the amount of pressure applied by the blade on the glass? Maybe it is too much/too tight so it doesn't float? I don't know, but there has got to be an explanation especially since this happens on a lot of M-B models.
Someone else here recommended PIAA blades but I ordered them and they didn’t have the correct adapter so I had to return them.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:42 PM

2018 C300 Coupe
PIAA SI Tech Silicone

Just spoke to PIAA as 97055 is the size they told me to buy for w205. They will not have the E clip adapter until the end of November. Once they do, it will be included in the packaging.
Old 10-08-2018, 02:17 PM

Just spoke to PIAA as 97055 is the size they told me to buy for w205. They will not have the E clip adapter until the end of November. Once they do, it will be included in the packaging.
Are you ordering directly from them?
Old 10-08-2018, 03:05 PM

2018 C300 Coupe
PIAA from PepBoys

I am going to order from and have them shipped to my local Pep Boys. Have them install them and if they don't work, they can take them back. Hopefully we get some rain from TS Michael this week. After reading the work order from Saturday, the dealer not only put on new blades,they adjusted the angle a bit on one side.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:22 PM

I am going to order from and have them shipped to my local Pep Boys. Have them install them and if they don't work, they can take them back. Hopefully we get some rain from TS Michael this week. After reading the work order from Saturday, the dealer not only put on new blades,they adjusted the angle a bit on one side.
Yep I’ve literally had everything adjusted that could be - including completely new wiper arms and many sets of blades. If the PIAA work I’m buying tons.
The following users liked this post:
no_mulligan (02-23-2021)
Old 10-10-2018, 03:54 PM

2018 C300 Coupe
Hi Joe - I just read your attachment and see under Cause: C3: Clamping force of wiper arm not OK (picture 3). Is this what I referred to in an earlier post about there being too much pressure from the arm onto the blade? Just too much friction? Thanks.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Hi Joe - I just read your attachment and see under Cause: C3: Clamping force of wiper arm not OK (picture 3). Is this what I referred to in an earlier post about there being too much pressure from the arm onto the blade? Just too much friction? Thanks.
No, if you read the remedy section, it says to check the bearing of the wiper arm (where it bends) for sluggishness, meaning if you had one that was binding, it would not be pushing down on the windshield hard enough.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:08 AM

2018 C300 Coupe
Aquapel/Bosch wiper combo

Hey all! I applied Aquapel to the windshield and installed a set of Bosch Aerotwin wipers. The Bosch are more rigid and overall more substantial. The operation is much better. They still drag a bit, but don't skip like they did. Still waiting on the PIAA wipers with correct adaptor.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:06 AM

Any update on the PIAA adapter for our car?
Old 11-27-2018, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Mercedes will be replacing my windshield next week if that won't help they will buy the car back.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:12 AM

2018 C300 Coupe
Any update on the PIAA adapter for our car?
Since they said November, I will give them a couple more weeks before looking.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:29 PM

2018 C300 Coupe
No PIAA Adapters yet for W205

Today I was again told by PIAA that the E adapter was supposed to be included beginning in Nov 2018, with full roll out by Jan 2019. They are still waiting on the adapters so they are not yet included in packaging. Stay tuned.

The Bosch blades continue to perform the same - they drag but don't skip across the glass so it is not as noisy as the MB blades.

NYCSoil: How did the windshield placement go?
Old 12-20-2018, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Today I was again told by PIAA that the E adapter was supposed to be included beginning in Nov 2018, with full roll out by Jan 2019. They are still waiting on the adapters so they are not yet included in packaging. Stay tuned.

The Bosch blades continue to perform the same - they drag but don't skip across the glass so it is not as noisy as the MB blades.

NYCSoil: How did the windshield placement go?
It fixed the issue, at least for now
Old 12-20-2018, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
It fixed the issue, at least for now
Have you washed the car since it was replaced? How does the water look when on the windshield - does it bead or does it sheet?
Old 12-20-2018, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C43
Definitely interested in progress you all have. I picked up my `19 c43 about 2 weeks ago. Today was my first drive in the rain and these are the worst wipers I've ever used in my life. Its extremely disheartening when you're in love with the car to have something so basic be so broken.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Skipping Wipers