Sponsored by:

Skipping Wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 11:33 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Skipping Wipers

I've searched across many C Class forums and I want to narrow my focus a little bit...I'm having some severe wiper issues. I noticed the wipers skipping (mainly the driver's side) prior to a trip to Dallas this last weekend. So, I thoroughly cleaned the windshield with soap and water, plus Stoner's Glass cleaner and buffed it with a microfiber. I also used that Stoners Glass Cleaner to wipe down the wiper blades themselves.

On the way to Dallas it was raining quite hard, and I could not run my wipers in automatic mode, they were terrible; getting stuck up top, chattering on the way down - overall doing a very poor job removing water from the windshield.

So when I got back, I cleaned the windshield and wipers again (the wipers look OK in terms of wear) but took it a step further and polished with 3M glass polish and my PC XP, then applied McKee's 37 glass coating to it. Water beads right up.

Now it's raining again, and I'm still having the same issues. What. the. heck. is going on? I've got nothing left in my toolbox to try, short of replacing wiper blades. I have an appointment with the dealer now, and they seemed to think the motors typically are a culprit (confirmed wiper blades were replaced in December). Based on previous searches for other C Class cars, the general population either A) Has no issues whatsoever or B) Experiences the same horrible performance I do and seemingly they fixed it by replacing the windshield. I don't know why replacing the windshield would be needed when you can just clean away anything that's on it.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?
Old 02-27-2018, 01:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Your wiper arms are out of adjustment. Buy a set of wiper arm tools from MB and enjoy life!!
Old 02-27-2018, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
Like this -
?

The car was 8 times at two different dealerships. They replaced wipers, wiper arms, motors, polished the windshield and still no luck..
Right now I'm asking MBUSA to buy the car back...
Old 02-27-2018, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
Like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTwg022r6B8 ?

The car was 8 times at two different dealerships. They replaced wipers, wiper arms, motors, polished the windshield and still no luck..
Right now I'm asking MBUSA to buy the car back...
Yep, pretty much.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:59 PM

Wife took the car to a girls night and it started raining, she called me and said the wipers are horrible!

I’m giving Mercedes one chance to fix this before I have someone use a ceramic coating on the windshield. If that doesn’t fix it, I’ve no idea what will.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:42 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
C43 AMG Coupe
I had this problem early on and from what I researched is a very common issue for c class and Mercedes in general.

I know that any hydrophobic coatings on your windshield aren’t going to help your wiper blades since they will effectively be rubbing across a unceasingly dry surface. Regardless, unfortunately it happens.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by FirstMBAMG
I had this problem early on and from what I researched is a very common issue for c class and Mercedes in general.

I know that any hydrophobic coatings on your windshield aren’t going to help your wiper blades since they will effectively be rubbing across a unceasingly dry surface. Regardless, unfortunately it happens.
I just have a very hard time believing there’s no fix for this. 20 year old jalops don’t have these issues.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by JWreck

I just have a very hard time believing there’s no fix for this. 20 year old jalops don’t have these issues.
As others said it is common and MB will check arm angle with gauge and replace wipers if youcomplain but it does not help. I have used glass wax and it helps some. Glad I live in the desert so I don't get rain much.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P

My car had 8 repairs at 2 different dealerships. There's no fix, unfortunately
Old 03-04-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 Mercedes C63s AMG
While mine don’t skip their movement isn’t completely smooth either. I’ll address it at the first service.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by NYCSoiL
My car had 8 repairs at 2 different dealerships. There's no fix, unfortunately
So what does MB USA say about it?
The following users liked this post:
Redneckgator434 (11-21-2021)
Old 03-04-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by FirstMBAMG

I think a true ceramic coating like C quartz or GTek would help. Yes the windshield would be dry most of the time but it makes the surface so smooth and buttery that pretty much anything could just glide across it.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
The windshield cleaning procedure done as per the bulletin for this will work, but it has to be done properly. The aggressive cleaner used will strip most contaminants and waxes off, and if the glass is actually clean the wipers should run smoothly. FWIW the bulletin says that water 'should not bead' on the windshield. So the more products you apply, the worse it gets.

The issue is the crappy wipers MB is using, but there's not often a good alternative, so you have to ensure the glass is very clean. Every one I've cleaned hasn't come back, but it's a bit of work to do it right.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The windshield cleaning procedure done as per the bulletin for this will work, but it has to be done properly. The aggressive cleaner used will strip most contaminants and waxes off, and if the glass is actually clean the wipers should run smoothly. FWIW the bulletin says that water 'should not bead' on the windshield. So the more products you apply, the worse it gets.

The issue is the crappy wipers MB is using, but there's not often a good alternative, so you have to ensure the glass is very clean. Every one I've cleaned hasn't come back, but it's a bit of work to do it right.
Are you a tech for a dealer? Good insight, I’d like to know more on this procedure so I can ensure my dealer does it.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600

Are you a tech for a dealer? Good insight, I’d like to know more on this procedure so I can ensure my dealer does it.
Yes. I will try to post the bulletin. I am out for training until friday, so if I can't get it from my home PC it might be a bit. Let me see what I can get, hold on.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:00 PM

Yes. I will try to post the bulletin. I am out for training until friday, so if I can't get it from my home PC it might be a bit. Let me see what I can get, hold on.
Awesome! No rush, my appointment with MB is on the 12th and I want to be as armed as possible so we can get it right the first time.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL 600
Actually can get in to TIPS from home, and it's faster than the computers at work lol.

Look at remedy C, the intensive cleaner it refers to is what you need. There is a WIS document that describes the process, those I can't download. But basically, you clean the car with glass cleaner first, then apply the intensive cleaner like a wax, put on heavy, let dry, buff off. If there's heavy deposits, it may take multiple applications, you will see it when applying it in my experience.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Wiper LI.pdf (45.4 KB, 735 views)
Old 03-04-2018, 12:35 PM

Actually can get in to TIPS from home, and it's faster than the computers at work lol.

Look at remedy C, the intensive cleaner it refers to is what you need. There is a WIS document that describes the process, those I can't download. But basically, you clean the car with glass cleaner first, then apply the intensive cleaner like a wax, put on heavy, let dry, buff off. If there's heavy deposits, it may take multiple applications, you will see it when applying it in my experience.
This is awesome, thank you for sharing!
The following users liked this post:
Redneckgator434 (11-21-2021)
Old 03-05-2018, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts
93' 500E, 95' Corolla

Awesome! No rush, my appointment with MB is on the 12th and I want to be as armed as possible so we can get it right the first time.
Usually this is caused by a very slight mis-adjustment of the wiper blade angle as it relates to the windshield. The arm(s) need to be twisted into the correct angle.

There is a special tool for it.

Thanks

Dave
Old 03-05-2018, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by DavesMeanE's
Usually this is caused by a very slight mis-adjustment of the wiper blade angle as it relates to the windshield. The arm(s) need to be twisted into the correct angle.

There is a special tool for it.

Thanks

Dave
Others have said this as well. I plan on letting the dealer check all of this out but I like the information because I’m going ask about all of it to be sure.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:17 AM

Dealer is working on a solution still. Ticket open with corporate. Also have an E Class in the shop for the same issues so they’re troubleshooting.

****ty problem but my dealer has been easy to work with and seems genuinely concerned about fixing my issue.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:50 PM

Well, the dealer “fixed” it by using the approved polish from the TSB (I believe it’s 3M Glass Polish). It fixed it for a few weeks then they started skipping again. I don’t use any products on the windshield other than Stoners Invisible Glass cleaner, and I’ve tried others as well.

Interestingly, they gave me a C300 loaner for some other service work and it rained...and the wipers on the loaner skipped like crazy. WTF Mercedes! This is seriously disheartening and makes me upset and not want to get another Mercedes...I buy my cars to drive.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:51 PM

I think I’m going to buy some non-OEM wipers and see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
I think I’m going to buy some non-OEM wipers and see if that makes a difference.
I tried 2 different OEM sets but not any non OEM yet.
The only thing that works for me is glass wax and only for a while them it starts skipping again.
They tried the gauge to see that the angle was correct but it looks like MB just engineered a bad design and have not fixed it after 4 years. WTF MB
Old 07-08-2018, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Funny I noticed the wipers were skipping on my Coupe earlier today when it started to sprinkle a little bit. I figured it was because it was a small sprinkle and the windshield was still pretty dry. Also probably doesn't help that it's been covered in dead bugs and grime for over a month.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Skipping Wipers