Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pops and crackles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 02:48 PM

Received 387 Likes on 248 Posts
Originally Posted by William23
My c43 sounded better in regards to downshift exhaust crackles.
The C43 with PE pops 'n crackles starting in Sport mode, including when the Individual mode is programmed to use Sport mode for the powertrain and non-Sport for other settings. That's actually _better_ than the C63/C63S because many of us don't want to run the car in Sport+ or Race on the street due to the higher-RPM idle and gear-holding (and subsequent impact on fuel mileage, wear, etc.). This is one of the aspects that makes my C43 a nicer "daily driver" than my C63 S ... but, of course, not all is "daily driving!"
Old 04-22-2019, 08:20 PM

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts
All the AMGs
Hey guys! I'm @rokenr from instagram (remove before race channel on YouTube).

Finished running in my facelift C63S Coupe this week, and can confirm a huge difference between this delivered car and the press cars I drove in June at Bilsterberg. If any of you have seen that video, you'll note the difference is pronounced, namely:

In Sport+/Race:
- Quieter sound generally
- Less bangs/pops on overruns/letting off throttle. Occurring only in a very specific rev range (4500/5000)
- Stand still revs, car stops banging after 3-4 initially revs. Needs a break before starting again.
- Worst of all: ZERO bangs/pops/emotion on down shifts

I'm making enquiries within AMG right now and will feed back to anyone who cares, my understanding is this is a software issue where the ECU has been tinkered with incorrectly. My guess would be a fix will come for this eventually, but I can only make a guess for now.

Anyone having the same problem is welcome to DM me on instagram, I'm making a list of cars with build dates and countries to help the guys address this ASAP.

p.s.
Heres the video if anyone wants to confirm:
The following 14 users liked this post by roken:
Beast (04-23-2019), esquesk (04-24-2019), fjp63amg (04-25-2019), KAHBOOM (05-08-2019), MAC63S (04-22-2019), Profomo (04-22-2019), Radon (04-23-2019), raudiace4 (04-23-2019), Robskabob (04-22-2019), Sea63s (01-06-2024), Shazbot302 (04-23-2019), Soubido (04-23-2019), Vladimir Gluten (04-23-2019), Xec (04-22-2019) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-22-2019, 08:49 PM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
Dabnphish on IG.. I dmed you. I’ll have my US spec within a few weeks. It’s was built feb 11th. The wait has been unreal!!
Old 04-22-2019, 09:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe - Graphite Grey Magno
@roken , my experience with my ‘19 63s coupe is similar to yours. after delivery, for the first 500, it seemed to pop like the videos all suggested. but over time, that calmed down and after break-in, the krispies are all but gone. On a cold start (and only in colder air, it seems) i get one or two revs with krispies, then it settles. i get very few, if any, in s+ even pushing above 5k (which tends to be difficult to do a lot on the street, legally anyway).

i look forward to reading what if anything comes from your AMG inquiries. i'm not as much of a “krispy kraver” as others. i favor the rev of this motor and its performance over the deceleration pops, but if the lack of those sounds is a symptom of an underlying issue, i want to know and want it fixed.
The following users liked this post:
Robskabob (04-22-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 11:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by roken

Finished running in my facelift C63S Coupe this week, and can confirm a huge difference between this delivered car and the press cars I drove in June at Bilsterberg. If any of you have seen that video, you'll note the difference is pronounced, namely:

In Sport+/Race:
- Less bangs/pops on overruns/letting off throttle. Occurring only in a very specific rev range (4500/5000)
- Stand still revs, car stops banging after 3-4 initially revs. Needs a break before starting again.

I'm making enquiries within AMG right now and will feed back to anyone who cares, my understanding is this is a software issue where the ECU has been tinkered with incorrectly. My guess would be a fix will come for this eventually, but I can only make a guess for now.

Anyone having the same problem is welcome to DM me on instagram, I'm making a list of cars with build dates and countries to help the guys address this ASAP.

p.s.
Heres the video if anyone wants to confirm: https://youtu.be/AlVHFjez1q4
Please keep us updated on this!

If anyone here is going to get a reply from AMG on this, it would be you!
Old 04-22-2019, 11:30 PM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr

In Sport+/Race:

Hi Raz, thanks for this. Glad to hear I am not the only one with this issue.

This is what I am experiencing as well on my 19 C63S sedan. My old roommate's non-PE 2017 C63 non-S popped more than mine.

I do get a nice crackle/pop in Race after WOT or after throttle near redline, but not much pops other than that.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:05 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 C63S coupe

In Sport+/Race:

p.s.
@C63sz on IG here.

That is disappointing to hear! I take delivery of mine soon after a 8 month wait, was really looking forward to those pops/burbles as in your video.

Looking forward to an update from you!

Edit** came across this video on youtube of a 2019 revving. US Spec. Seems to burble nicely? He also mentions the dealership will "retune" his car once he reaches break-in mileage, which apparently unlocks some new features? LC and maybe more pops? Revs around the 4:20 min time

Last edited by Beast; 04-23-2019 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:07 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
I have the same damn issue here. I'm a convert from BMW and the only reason I felt in love with Mer was after driving my brothers' 2017 c43 AMG (see below) which sounds amazing as well as my friends' 2017 GTS which also sounds amazing and they both put big smiles on my face.

My SA (which has been very informative and helpful since I ordered the car) confirmed that if I take the car in for 1700 mile service (I have ~ 400 miles left; should take it in sometime next week), they will re-tune the car which will unlock some additional features such as Launch Control as well as better overall output. I'm not 100% sure with these info until I take the car in for the first service. I'll keep you posted once I have further info.

@b3ns.c63s.amg

Old 04-23-2019, 05:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 W205 C63 S Sedan Edition 1 DME Stage 2
Regarding Performance Exhaust in stock

1. Flaps are not fully opened under 4000 RPM, even in race mode, try 1-2 gear between 4-6K on and off, there should be decent pops & crackles

2. Keep pressing downshift paddle to shift down gear consecutively -> engine revving around 4-6K -> flaps fully open -> backfiring gunshots like crazy

Catless DP and Stage 2 ECU tune would make your life much easier if you want these sounds as easily and loud as possible, especially the tune takes it to the next level, catless dp wouldn't make much difference before ECU is written. But even then without mods or aftermarket cat-back, the flaps still need to reach 4K to fully open. In a nutshell, switch to race mode, put some load on the gas pedal in low gear and see how it goes

Last edited by jerrytsao; 04-23-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:37 AM

All the AMGs
I think that's a false hope guys. I've just received a C63S Wagon from MBUK press department to review, it's got almost 5000miles, and has had the diff oil change etc: it's doing the exact same thing. I don't believe anything at that juncture will change the ECU software, I've spoken to about 20+ owners this week different mileage/build dates/countries and unfortunately they're all reporting same.

My suggestion (if it bothers you as much as it does me) ask your service department to raise query with AMG Germany as to why there's no "emotional sound on down shifting in sports+ and race" as advertised in press cars.

I'll of course let you know what I hear back, but sheer force of complaints usually gets the trick done faster. Remember, Pre-facelift was the same until the 2017 exhaust update!
Old 04-23-2019, 05:44 AM

2019 C63S Sedan
I think that's a false hope guys. I've just received a C63S Wagon from MBUK press department to review, it's got almost 5000miles, and has had the diff oil change etc: it's doing the exact same thing. I don't believe anything at that juncture will change the ECU software, I've spoken to about 20+ owners this week different mileage/build dates/countries and unfortunately they're all reporting same.

My suggestion (if it bothers you as much as it does me) ask your service department to raise query with AMG Germany as to why there's no "emotional sound on down shifting in sports+ and race" as advertised in press cars.

I'll of course let you know what I hear back, but sheer force of complaints usually gets the trick done faster. Remember, Pre-facelift was the same until the 2017 exhaust update!
What was your service departments response when you highlighted this to them?

They must have been a bit shocked

This is a little bit of a downer as I'm slated to receive my car soon - so to hear that the exhaust isn't as advertised does put a damper on things
Old 04-23-2019, 06:21 AM

All the AMGs
I haven't yet, but I expect they will think it's just the way the car is and I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill! They are usually clueless about such things.

Hence why I'm asking directly, but it's regardless a good idea to submit a case to AMG via service asking if it's a known issue.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:28 AM

2019 C63S Sedan
I haven't yet, but I expect they will think it's just the way the car is and I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill! They are usually clueless about such things.

Hence why I'm asking directly, but it's regardless a good idea to submit a case to AMG via service asking if it's a known issue.
Well, here's to hoping that it's a fix that won't take long to come, or if it's indeed an ecu retune that was mentioned previously.

Hopefully with all the brand awareness and traction (heh) you've given AMG through your YouTube channel and IG, they take your comments and complaints a bit more seriously.

Wouldn't want to be the person in charge at MBUK press when your review comes out saying the press car was a lie, and the delivered product sounds nothing like the press car.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:37 AM

All the AMGs
Originally Posted by Profomo
Well, here's to hoping that it's a fix that won't take long to come, or if it's indeed an ecu retune that was mentioned previously.

Hopefully with all the brand awareness and traction (heh) you've given AMG through your YouTube channel and IG, they take your comments and complaints a bit more seriously.

Wouldn't want to be the person in charge at MBUK press when your review comes out saying the press car was a lie, and the delivered product sounds nothing like the press car.
Nice pun! They're taking it seriously, and I think it's not been done intentionally.

The poor press guys probably have no idea, my real worry is the other Motoring journos who will just assume it's meant to be this way and slate the facelift, whereas I will fire fight for the brand knowing it's a fixable error!

The video I'm doing this week is on the Origin of AMG so I'll scoot around it, but duty is also to inform the public.
The following 2 users liked this post by roken:
KAHBOOM (05-08-2019), raudiace4 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 06:54 AM

2019 C63S Sedan
Nice pun! They're taking it seriously, and I think it's not been done intentionally.

The poor press guys probably have no idea, my real worry is the other Motoring journos who will just assume it's meant to be this way and slate the facelift, whereas I will fire fight for the brand knowing it's a fixable error!

The video I'm doing this week is on the Origin of AMG so I'll scoot around it, but duty is also to inform the public.
Good to hear they are taking it seriously!

Can't fathom that causing a stir here in Singapore would do much, seeing how there are only 4 c63s (coupe and sedans) that have been ordered. A voice of 4, at that, won't be loud enough.

Not to mention we only have 1 authorised dealer here...
Old 04-23-2019, 10:54 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Can't believe the timing of this as I was just literally looking at prices for a C63s - I'm hitting the brakes on that until this is resolved.

P.S. Good to hear from @roken on this as the man knows his stuff. I've watched pretty much every video on the Remove Before Race channel including the video posted above on the facelift (actually I watched that one more than once )
Old 04-23-2019, 12:11 PM

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C63S coupe
Interesting read

I had the a 2017 before and have just done 300 miles so far on my 2019. Build date 22 February

First thing I noticed was the exhaust was louder in comfort than my 2017
with a few mild pops. There is also a marked difference in exhaust tone between valves closed and open in Comfort mode.

I can’t comment on sport plus yet.

Will keep you guys posted.

Last edited by Uga Uga; 04-23-2019 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Profomo (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C450 AMG
I sent you a message on Instagram via @BK23XXIII I'm glad you addressed this on here as I am curious of the outcome. I went from a 2016 C43 that had a better sounding exhaust than my 2019 C63S and I am completely disappointed. I will be curious to see what comes of you enquiring. I am in the US and love the car but really expected those wonderful throaty pops and crackles that don't exist

In Sport+/Race:

p.s.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:22 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe - Graphite Grey Magno

I certainly will bring it up during my rear diff service in a couple weeks. I’m sure, like you said, their eyes will glaze over. But I’ll bring it up to my SA, too, who owns a ‘16 and will have a better appreciation of our gripe.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
'19 C63S AMG Coupe

In Sport+/Race:

p.s.
Heres the video if anyone wants to confirm:
I can confirm your notes above too, I thought the car was quieter than I thought it would be (I watched your YouTube review way before ordering).

Details of my build:

2019 C63s Coupe
Delivered January 2019
NYC
Old 04-24-2019, 03:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
That is so odd, my one pops and cracks at low and high revs. Pre-facelift.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:38 AM

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by Sanch
That is so odd, my one pops and cracks at low and high revs. Pre-facelift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeaOhG3QlE8
Yes, same here . Mine is 2017
Old 04-24-2019, 05:14 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
I just noticed some extra pops since yesterday. I think the car is learning me and I'm learning the car. I was getting constant pops in idle (race mode) versus 1/5 revs at the beginning of (after) my break-in period.
Old 04-25-2019, 01:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63S
can anybody confirm if its true what that video said about being retuned after 1800(during rear diff fluid change)? Does the dealer have to go in and activate the race start or the function just enable itself once you go over the break in period?

Last edited by seek3n; 04-25-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 C63 AMG S; 2016 BMW 340i MPPK; 2020 Mini Cooper
In the AMG Private Lounge there is a topic about this, so i am pretty sure AMG is aware of the problem.

For me, is sad, being 3/4 weeks from delivery and knowing this. Hope they solve this soon.

I have a BMW 340i with M Performance exhaust, and it pops and crackles so easy, when ever you want. Just put it in S or S+.

Last edited by fjp63amg; 04-25-2019 at 05:27 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pops and crackles