Sponsored by:

Pops and crackles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:14 PM

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by BrownDog09
The more I read the more I am glad I purchased mine when I did. If the exhaust note is minimized, that would be a complete bummer for me. I wouldn’t have purchased the car if it sounds the way some of the 2019s I have heard sound . I am bummed for you guys and hope there is a solution soon.
same here man.. the only reason i bought this car was because of the sound lol
Old 05-16-2019, 02:30 AM

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by BrownDog09
The more I read the more I am glad I purchased mine when I did. If the exhaust note is minimized, that would be a complete bummer for me. I wouldn’t have purchased the car if it sounds the way some of the 2019s I have heard sound . I am bummed for you guys and hope there is a solution soon.
Agree. I was about to change my 2017 for the new one until I had the chance to hear my friends 2019.

Good luck guys!
Old 05-16-2019, 02:27 PM

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Does anyone know if replacing the primary cats with high flow cats make the car louder?
Old 05-16-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C63s
@roken have you heard anything back yet? Really interested to see if they will be resolving this for UK customers. Your first video is what made me put a deposit down on a new order, the character/sound of the car just put it above anything else on my list that was available but now after finding the forum and reading these posts I'm having second thoughts
Old 05-16-2019, 03:23 PM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
Originally Posted by Tom⠀
@roken have you heard anything back yet? Really interested to see if they will be resolving this for UK customers. Your first video is what made me put a deposit down on a new order, the character/sound of the car just put it above anything else on my list that was available but now after finding the forum and reading these posts I'm having second thoughts
In no way do I have ANY second thoughts.. The facelift as a whole crushes the pre facelift imo.. It's still loud.. The interior and exterior improvements are one thing to boast about but the new transmission, traction control, and suspension improvements make me have literally Zero regrets. The drivers zone is sooo much better with the new steering wheel and digital display. I literally wouldn't take a pre facelift with 0 miles and 20k cash over the new one. The car as a whole is much improved. The pops and bangs will get resolved!!!
The following users liked this post:
Shazbot302 (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
Originally Posted by purplewidow
In no way do I have ANY second thoughts.. The facelift as a whole crushes the pre facelift imo.. It's still loud.. The interior and exterior improvements are one thing to boast about but the new transmission, traction control, and suspension improvements make me have literally Zero regrets. The drivers zone is sooo much better with the new steering wheel and digital display. I literally wouldn't take a pre facelift with 0 miles and 20k cash over the new one. The car as a whole is much improved. The pops and bangs will get resolved!!!
Did you ever post pics of your car yet? I don't recall seeing any. Hopefully you really did get one. Internet has a lot of posers/trolls you know.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:13 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by purplewidow
The facelift as a whole crushes the pre facelift imo..
Glad you like your car, but I wouldn't take all the facelift features in exchange for a tamer exhaust.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:09 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2010 BMW M3, 2010 Lancer Evolution X, Incoming 2020 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by brevets
Glad you like your car, but I wouldn't take all the facelift features in exchange for a tamer exhaust.
I’d agree with you, were it not for the updated facelift transmission.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 C63s Coupe
Now now ladies, these are great cars regardless of model year. Whatever the year I think we can all agree that we want the pops and crackles and shouldn't let Mercedes get away with advertising them and then not delivering on that promise.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:52 AM

C63s
Originally Posted by benzbell
Did you ever post pics of your car yet? I don't recall seeing any. Hopefully you really did get one. Internet has a lot of posers/trolls you know.
I think he did, didn’t he?
Old 05-17-2019, 05:55 AM

C63s
Originally Posted by brevets
Even the Hyundai makes more pops and crackles..🙈

I could live without digital updates (for this you get a Tesla) but not without amg sound to be honest
Old 05-17-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts
All the AMGs
Sorry for the lack of posting guys, been so busy filming.

Only update I have is that the restriction of 3 bangs at one time and then the car refusing to bang for a few minutes, is for EU rules to protect parts of the exhaust for the WHOLE life of the car. So it's clearly software.Nothing on the lack of bangs on downshifting, still being explored. It's sad to note, even my A35 bangs on downshift and is more exciting in that regard.

I'm also working with Renntech and my own Studio in the UK, to see if we can just modify the ECU and remove that bit of coding, and reinstate the bangs. That's the worst case.

Finally, I echo the comments of my USA friend above: GO AND COMPLAIN. The C63 is AMG's top seller, the core of the business, if we are unhappy they will have to make changes.

I'm loving the car by the way, suspension is so much better than pre-facelift and the driver zone is mega.
The following 4 users liked this post by roken:
AV1 (05-19-2019), Beast (05-18-2019), fjp63amg (05-17-2019), Tom⠀ (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by roken

Only update I have is that the restriction of 3 bangs at one time and then the car refusing to bang for a few minutes, is for EU rules to protect parts of the exhaust for the WHOLE life of the car. So it's clearly software.Nothing on the lack of bangs on downshifting, still being explored. It's sad to note, even my A35 bangs on downshift and is more exciting in that regard.

I'm also working with Renntech and my own Studio in the UK, to see if we can just modify the ECU and remove that bit of coding, and reinstate the bangs. That's the worst case.

Finally, I echo the comments of my USA friend above: GO AND COMPLAIN. The C63 is AMG's top seller, the core of the business, if we are unhappy they will have to make changes.

I'm loving the car by the way, suspension is so much better than pre-facelift and the driver zone is mega.
Guys, have anyone addressed the elephant in the room, that all these new EU cars are quieter because of the new Exhaust Particulate Filter all these new EU cars are supposed to have? The new M2 sounds way duller than before as well because this update.

Because of this new ceramic filter, I am sure the resistance in the exhaust has increased significantly. That is probably why the new software kind of backs off the sound a bit, probably to protect the engine. I honestly do not think you can get the old sound back safely without removing that EPF. First thing for north american owners to confirm would be to see if the NA cars have the new filter or not.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:52 AM

All the AMGs
Originally Posted by munis
Guys, have anyone addressed the elephant in the room, that all these new EU cars are quieter because of the new Exhaust Particulate Filter all these new EU cars are supposed to have? The new M2 sounds way duller than before as well because this update.

Because of this new ceramic filter, I am sure the resistance in the exhaust has increased significantly. That is probably why the new software kind of backs off the sound a bit, probably to protect the engine. I honestly do not think you can get the old sound back safely without removing that EPF. First thing for north american owners to confirm would be to see if the NA cars have the new filter or not.
I'm no expert but I don't think that's the case, the GT63S has the filter here and it doesn't behave the same way: It's still loud and characterful, and bangs on demand all the time. USA and Australian cars don't have the filter, but are equally suffering.

OPF only effects volume from the cars I've tested, and AMG are least affected of all. It's the software that's doing it, and it's protecting the Cats I'm told.

Just tested the new R8 V10 performance with filter... no bangs or pops, and quiet. Shame.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
'19 C63S AMG Coupe

Thanks for the update, keep us posted.

I reached out to my dealer about this, my SA says he hasn't heard of this, but I've asked if there's a contact at AMG he reach out to.

Pretty let down/frustrated about all of this because sound is one of the biggest reasons I got the car, at this point I'm weighing two options:

1. Wait for AMG to give us an answer and see what happens
2. Just get an aftermarket exhaust and/or do some exhaust mods to regain the sound.

For what its worth, my brother has a new RS5 and the car does bang/crackle on up and downshifts, so it's not all new euro cars?

Last edited by wazuh; 05-17-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C63s

Thank you for the reply, that's a very disappointing response especially when your videos/other journalists videos show the pops/bangs in action. Did they say why the press cars so different, surely they should have been the final product?

Although a remap would no doubt fix the issue my concern is the warranty aspect/MB using it as an excuse to get out of claims. With regards to complaining, as I haven't received the car yet I'm not too sure if they would take me seriously! Hopefully this won't put a downer on my first AMG experience, this could end up being an expensive mistake

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car, keep up with the fantastic content. Your videos encouraged my brother to buy the E63s and they got me looking at the C63s.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe - Graphite Grey Magno
Originally Posted by Tom⠀
Absolutely NO regrets, here, either. Some disappointment, sure. But I remain optimistic a solution will be offered some day soon. I’m filing my complaint today.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:33 PM

All the AMGs
Originally Posted by CrashTX
Absolutely NO regrets, here, either. Some disappointment, sure. But I remain optimistic a solution will be offered some day soon. I’m filing my complaint today.
This is perfect, good job buddy and the right attitude.

p.s.
Thanks Tom, and everyone else re: your kind comments on my videos! Really means the world, hope to keep improving for you guys.
CrashTX (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 02:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 C63S
Originally Posted by CrashTX
I’ve already filed a complaint and I’m going to call them repeatedly for updates until they either address it or block my number.

Thank you Roken for pushing AMG on your end. Please keep up the effort! You certainly have their ear. RMBR is easily one of the best channels on YT, and unmatched in the automotive category. Love the brilliant analysis and clever presentation and I always looking forward to the next video!

Absolutely no regrets here. AMG made a much better car in the facelift.

Last edited by Shazbot302; 05-22-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:56 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 C63S coupe
Keep pushing boys. We need the burbz back ASAP �� otherwise I’m going to tune it with Velos or DME Tuning to increase it
Old 05-22-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 C63S
Keep pushing fellas! Any updates?
Old 05-24-2019, 08:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63s
Hello guys, I just filed a complaint too. Im very unsatisfied as my 2019 c63s has almost 0 crackle even in S+/Race mode. If I want to modify the exhaust system, what should I do in order to have more crackles? Would straight piping work?
Old 05-24-2019, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
I’m sure that aftermarket tune should resolve the issue. I think I’m gonna stick with OE Tuning this time too
SALES@OETUNING (05-28-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 09:42 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
I too called in and submitted my complaint twice already. As some have mentioned already, in idle, you only get crackles once and you'll be limited until ECU decides to give you another crackle in few minutes. Sadly, I broke my arm in half and won't be able to enjoy the car for a while anyway

If AMG doesn't step in, I may go with JB4 tune. Has anyone done that with their 2019 c63s? Will it fix this issue?

Here's a little video I recorded showing the one and only crackle after the startup...

View this post on Instagram
Old 05-31-2019, 02:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C63s
@roken Did you get any updates from AMG?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pops and crackles