C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After jacking up with jack, where do I place jack stands ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 08:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C63 AMG sedan
After jacking up with jack, where do I place jack stands ?

Not going to lie I feel like an idiot for having to ask this but here I am.

Im removing all my wheels and getting them powdered coated, I’ve jacked up the car prior but i haven’t put the car on stands, I plan to have all four wheels removed for about 4 days. How exaclty are the stands placed since the jack itself is being used at the jack points?
Old 10-31-2018, 07:40 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
‘17 GT F1A E85 Monster ‘16 C63s
Jack each side of the car from the center of the frame rail then place stands on the front/rear of that frame rail, lower it down on the stands and check to make sure it’s sitting solidly on the stands. Jack the opposite side slowly from the center again and have your wife/girlfriend/friend watch the side sitting on stands to make sure it’s not moving around, tipping or falling while the other side goes up.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT
Jack each side of the car from the center of the frame rail then place stands on the front/rear of that frame rail, lower it down on the stands and check to make sure it’s sitting solidly on the stands. Jack the opposite side slowly from the center again and have your wife/girlfriend/friend watch the side sitting on stands to make sure it’s not moving around, tipping or falling while the other side goes up.
Man, that sounds scary. I have been contemplating getting one of those quick jacks. those seem safe and would give me much more room under the car. It's tough for me to justify though since we have lifts on base.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:02 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
‘17 GT F1A E85 Monster ‘16 C63s
It’s really not that bad if you have good stands. A quick lift or a real lift would be best, but those options are a bit more lol
Old 10-31-2018, 06:15 PM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Man, that sounds scary. I have been contemplating getting one of those quick jacks. those seem safe and would give me much more room under the car. It's tough for me to justify though since we have lifts on base.
If you're only doing tire changes, no jackstand is OK.

If you're going under the car, you 100% need jack stands PERIOD.

If the jack fails and the car drops down on your head, you're either dead or close to it. Even if you don't care about your own life, think about your family. If you end up a quadriplegic and your family has to take care of you the rest of your life, while you're not the breadwinner anymore, that would be really $h1tty for them. All because you didn't use jack stands...
Old 11-01-2018, 08:15 AM

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts
C63S
I’m in the same boat but looking to have my brake callipers powder coated.

Is there a centre point for front and rear to jack from?

​​​​​​​Or is side to side the better option?
Old 11-01-2018, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Yes, there is a center point in the front. In the rear, there isn't a designated lift point, but you can use the subframe.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
Yes, there is a center point in the front. In the rear, there isn't a designated lift point, but you can use the subframe.
Cheers
Old 11-01-2018, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Originally Posted by KJ
If you're only doing tire changes, no jackstand is OK.

If you're going under the car, you 100% need jack stands PERIOD.

If the jack fails and the car drops down on your head, you're either dead or close to it. Even if you don't care about your own life, think about your family. If you end up a quadriplegic and your family has to take care of you the rest of your life, while you're not the breadwinner anymore, that would be really $h1tty for them. All because you didn't use jack stands...
Oh yeah. That's a no brainer. Even jack stands scare me when I crawl under there. I prefer to use race ramps if I am under the car. But yeah, if I am changing a wheel I just use the jack for the 30 seconds or so the car doesn't have a wheel on it. What I meant sounded scary was watching jack stands on one side to make sure they are tipping and then jacking the other side of the car up. Woooo, I would hate to be around if the car fell off those jack stands on one side. I'd much rather use a quick jack. If you don't know what that is, you should look it up. they go under the frame rails and then lock when they are up. it jacks the whole car up at the same time.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C63
I'm about 3 weeks into C63 ownership and just installed an exhaust. Like many rear wheel drive cars, this chassis has a discrete jack point in the front and the diff can be used in the rear. I lifted one end and placed stands at the side jack points then proceeded to lift the other end. Please use good judgement when lifting and securing your car!

1) MB was nice to mold all the lower covers around a center jack point. I just placed a hockey puck between the jack and the lifting pad. I had to drive the car up on ramps first since my low profile jack wasn't "low profile" enough.

W205 Front Jack Point

For the rear I placed a piece of wood between the jack and the heat sink since it was flat. The pumpkin on mine has a round bottom so this was a better option. I was initially concerned with lifting using this aluminum heat sink but it is not only German stout, it's "AMG German" stout. Mine is the mechanical diff. Regardless, lift on the diff.

The following 2 users liked this post by SilversledVH:
Jimmy_c63s (12-29-2019), Schulminator (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 07:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C63 AMG sedan
Great post silver, thank you that helped me out tremendously. Is that a AWE track? I, looking at getting one.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C63
Originally Posted by ScottsC63
Great post silver, thank you that helped me out tremendously. Is that a AWE track? I, looking at getting one.
Scott,
You’re welcome. I had the same questions as you did since I’m new to MB. I felt my way through the jacking process while installing the exhaust this weekend. It’s the AWE SwitchPath.