Notices
C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Recall 4911 ?

 
Old 03-09-2019, 03:00 PM
  #26  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BMW M4
J

Last edited by DanielAMG; 03-09-2019 at 03:50 PM.
DanielAMG is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 03:01 PM
  #27  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BMW M4
Just dropped my car off at service for tires and he mentioned the update. This will probably remove my ECU tune right?
DanielAMG is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 04:45 PM
  #28  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 15
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
W205 C63
Originally Posted by DanielAMG View Post
Just dropped my car off at service for tires and he mentioned the update. This will probably remove my ECU tune right?
Most definitely.
SilversledVH is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 04:51 AM
  #29  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BMW M4
Originally Posted by SilversledVH View Post
Most definitely.
yup, it sure did. Now I gotta get it retuned -_-
DanielAMG is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 06:00 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 472
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
'15 C63S

msd3075 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to msd3075 For This Useful Post:
SilversledVH (03-14-2019)
Old 03-15-2019, 11:18 AM
  #31  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
AMG C63S
Does this ECU update give you the new engine exhaust sound vs the large single bang sounds on downshifts?

Is it only the ECU update or do they update the TCU as well?
superstarR is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 12:15 PM
  #32  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 83
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by superstarR View Post
Does this ECU update give you the new engine exhaust sound vs the large single bang sounds on downshifts?

Is it only the ECU update or do they update the TCU as well?
The pops are still there for me, just as loud.

Don't know the answer to the second question. I was just told "engine management software update."
DRGG is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 01:09 PM
  #33  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
AMG C63S
What year of C63S do you have? Sedan or Coupe?


Originally Posted by DRGG View Post
The pops are still there for me, just as loud.

Don't know the answer to the second question. I was just told "engine management software update."
superstarR is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 01:28 PM
  #34  
Super Member
 
raudiace4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 557
Thanked 71 Times in 62 Posts
2017 C63S coupe
Do you guys know if all model years are affected? I had the software update in november on my 2017, looks like this is another new one.
raudiace4 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 02:04 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 472
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 35 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by superstarR View Post
Does this ECU update give you the new engine exhaust sound vs the large single bang sounds on downshifts?

Is it only the ECU update or do they update the TCU as well?
The ECU and TCU are updated together.
msd3075 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 06:25 PM
  #36  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 83
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by superstarR View Post
What year of C63S do you have? Sedan or Coupe?
'18C63S coupe. Purchased in February 2018.
DRGG is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:41 PM
  #37  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 15
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
W205 C63
Originally Posted by SilversledVH View Post
So I stopped by the dealer this morning to check on my car. I asked my service advisor to look up the description of the Campaign. He couldn't print it but read it off his screen. The description said it was to correct a false fuel system reading which may cause the engine light to illuminate. There was no mention of changes to engine or transmission performance.

I guess I'll have to wait to get my car back to see if I observe the same as others have. I ran a VMI report in October 2018 and all campaigns were complete. This is the first campaign since then.
I just got my car back this afternoon. I did notice the following things:

1) In comfort mode, I noticed the idle is slightly higher. I recall that when going from Comfort to Sport, the RPM used to come up slightly, and then again going from Sport to Sport+. From a stop, the torque converter seems tighter. It could be the RPM being slightly higher and the torque converter flashing sooner, more spark advance coming off idle, or the TCC to come on earlier. Either way the car is less lethargic accelerating from a stop,

2) In Sport mode, the car isn't as "jerky" starting in first gear. It feels like there's more torque management coming off throttle or the TCC coming in more gradually. Also I thought the car short shifted in Sport mode. I'm not 100% sure since I only went WOT a couple of times.

...more driving is necessary.
SilversledVH is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 10:02 PM
  #38  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by SilversledVH View Post
I just got my car back this afternoon. I did notice the following things:

1) In comfort mode, I noticed the idle is slightly higher. I recall that when going from Comfort to Sport, the RPM used to come up slightly, and then again going from Sport to Sport+. From a stop, the torque converter seems tighter. It could be the RPM being slightly higher and the torque converter flashing sooner, more spark advance coming off idle, or the TCC to come on earlier. Either way the car is less lethargic accelerating from a stop,

2) In Sport mode, the car isn't as "jerky" starting in first gear. It feels like there's more torque management coming off throttle or the TCC coming in more gradually. Also I thought the car short shifted in Sport mode. I'm not 100% sure since I only went WOT a couple of times.

...more driving is necessary.
C63 DOES NOT HAVE TORQUE CONVERTER!
srO_Michael_Orz is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 10:07 PM
  #39  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Toronto
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
C63s
Campaign No. 2019020002, February 2019
TO: ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CENTERS SUBJECT: Model C-Class (205 platform) and AMG GT-Class (190 platform) Model Year 2016-2018 Update engine electronics (ME-SFI) control unit software Daimler AG (“DAG”), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, has determined that on certain Model Year (“MY”) 2016-2018 C-Class (205 platform) and AMG-GT-Class (190 platform) vehicles, an incorrect software could cause certain vehicles to exceed certain emissions requirements. An authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will update the engine control unit software on the affected vehicles.
Prior to performing this Service Campaign:
• Please check VMI to determine if the vehicle is involved in the Campaign and if it has been previously repaired.
• Please review the entire Service Campaign bulletin and follow the repair procedure exactly as described. Approximately 2793 vehicles are affected.

I believe this is the true reason for Recall.
I will wait for a chance to do before and after dyno test, seems everything related to emission is going to nerf the HP and Exhaust note.
If I found out HP or exhaust has been nerf, I will do ROLL BACK my ECU software.

Last edited by srO_Michael_Orz; 03-15-2019 at 10:19 PM.
srO_Michael_Orz is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 10:35 PM
  #40  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 15
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
W205 C63
Originally Posted by srO_Michael_Orz View Post
C63 DOES NOT HAVE TORQUE CONVERTER!
Your caps lock is stuck. Then the multi-plate jobbie that’s designed to replace one. The AMG setup makes tuning engagement even easier.
SilversledVH is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:16 AM
  #41  
Member
 
midareff1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Bay Harbor Island, Miami
Posts: 148
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
2018 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by DRGG View Post
I ran across a thread about software updates and the consistency or lack thereof with respect to dealers installing them. Just do a search. The fact is that I have a one year/old 2018 C63s AMG coupe that received an update of the engine management software a couple of days ago during a r-o-u-t-i-n-e 10,000 mile service and it profoundly affected the way transmission shifts - smoother, quicker and lower down in the rpm range. How can I be the only one?

You are not the only one. My 2018 C63S was done last Thursday, the 14th, at it's first year's service. It shifts definitely smoother and just feels different in S and S+. Less snap, crackle and pop for sure too. None in S, S+ is reduced. As another poster mentioned, the ECU may need to readapt before all is said and done but by that time I will have readapted too.
midareff1 is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:29 AM
  #42  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 83
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by midareff1 View Post
You are not the only one. My 2018 C63S was done last Thursday, the 14th, at it's first year's service. It shifts definitely smoother and just feels different in S and S+. Less snap, crackle and pop for sure too. None in S, S+ is reduced. As another poster mentioned, the ECU may need to readapt before all is said and done but by that time I will have readapted too.
I still have loud pops seemingly as before.
DRGG is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:42 PM
  #43  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
AMG C63S
Looks like Campaign No. 2019020002 covers multiple software updates. We've now seen the following:

1. ECU software update due to residual condensation that may set off the CEL.

2. ME-SFI control unit software update since some cars may exceed emission requirements.

Can anyone that has access to the campaign recall list all the software changes they will apply.
superstarR is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 01:54 PM
  #44  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
AMG C63S
Originally Posted by msd3075 View Post
The ECU and TCU are updated together.
Have you brought yours in for the campaign update?
superstarR is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 01:30 PM
  #45  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 157
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2015 C63S
I was at dealer today for replacement of voltage converter (Auxiliary battery malfunction message).
SA noted Campaign 2019020003 showed as due for my car. Description is same as image posted above.
I declined because I didn't want ecu software overwritten.
blaferty is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 02:45 PM
  #46  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 69
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C63 S AMG
I have a newbie question. I am planning to flash my ecu and get it tuned (eurocharged) After this update.

Wont the update be missing again after tune? Since the tune is from a pre-update version?
lovepower1 is offline  
Old 03-18-2019, 05:59 PM
  #47  
Super Member
 
benzbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 520
Thanked 127 Times in 90 Posts
2018 GTR - 2018 C 63S
Originally Posted by srO_Michael_Orz View Post
Campaign No. 2019020002, February 2019
TO: ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CENTERS SUBJECT: Model C-Class (205 platform) and AMG GT-Class (190 platform) Model Year 2016-2018 Update engine electronics (ME-SFI) control unit software Daimler AG (“DAG”), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, has determined that on certain Model Year (“MY”) 2016-2018 C-Class (205 platform) and AMG-GT-Class (190 platform) vehicles, an incorrect software could cause certain vehicles to exceed certain emissions requirements. An authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will update the engine control unit software on the affected vehicles.
Prior to performing this Service Campaign:
• Please check VMI to determine if the vehicle is involved in the Campaign and if it has been previously repaired.
• Please review the entire Service Campaign bulletin and follow the repair procedure exactly as described. Approximately 2793 vehicles are affected.

I believe this is the true reason for Recall.
I will wait for a chance to do before and after dyno test, seems everything related to emission is going to nerf the HP and Exhaust note.
If I found out HP or exhaust has been nerf, I will do ROLL BACK my ECU software.
Had mine done today and that update has now been superseded by 2019020003. Here is the ticket and a couple of pics at the dealership rocking stormtrooper mode. What I noticed was a loud bark on upshifts in Sport + that wasn't there before. So I'm def. happy about that. Jury is still out on if it shifts any smoother yet. Need to drive it a bit more first. I will follow up on that. I previously had a 2015 C63WS that I clocked 24k miles on. So I'm really familiar and in tune with the sounds of this car. I noticed the "bark" immediately.







benzbell is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 10:02 AM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 281
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
My dealer wanted to do this today. I told them to hold off. I need more consensus on what it changes. So far we have more people saying it made it more quiet than unchanged.
JWreck is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 05:28 PM
  #49  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
AMG C63S
Originally Posted by JWreck View Post
My dealer wanted to do this today. I told them to hold off. I need more consensus on what it changes. So far we have more people saying it made it more quiet than unchanged.
Just got it done today.
See the image of the service order for more details.

The car is definitely louder than before in my case.
The car shift up much faster in lower gears and the gear box is much smoother.
No exhaust popping in C or S. With my prior software you could hear low pops in C mode.

In S+ every time I'm in the 3000-4000 rpm range you hear a small bang or 3 pops. In 1st gear you hear a loud bang in the 4000 rpm range when you lift off the throttle.
Shifting up in S+ with the paddle you hear an aggressive sounds that you didn't hear before. For me, it's a little too loud all the time for me driving in the city because everyone thinks it's like several gunshots.

The car's overall transmission is much smoother, for example in S+ in 1st gear, if you let go of the throttle at around 2500 rpm, the car will coast at 2500 rpm, where as prior you could feel the torque and the car would slow down immediately. Now that the car coasts, you don't hear the 10 or so continuous exhaust popping sounds or exhaust popping sounds while engine breaking down a hill.

Overall it's a huge improvement, but feels less like a raw AMG car and much more refined now, except when in S+. I'll probably drive more in S+ mode now.




Last edited by superstarR; 03-19-2019 at 09:54 PM.
superstarR is offline  
Old 03-19-2019, 07:06 PM
  #50  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 83
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by superstarR View Post
Just got it done today.
See the image of the service order for more details.

The car is definitely louder than before in my case.
The car shift up much faster in lower gears and the gear box is much smoother.
No exhaust popping in C or S. With my prior software you could hear low pops in C mode.

In S+ every time I'm in the 3000-4000 rpm range you hear a small bang or 3 pops. In 1st gear you hear a loud bang in the 4000 rpm range when you lift off the throttle.
Shifting up in S+ with the paddle you hear an aggressive sounds that you didn't hear before. For me, it's a little too loud all the time for me driving in the city because everyone thinks it's like several gunshots.

The car's overall transmission is much smoother, for example in S+ in 1st gear, if you let go of the throttle at around 2500 rpm, the car will coast at 2500 rpm, where as prior you could feel the torque and the car would slow down immediately. Now that the car coasts, you don't hear the 10 or so continuous exhaust popping sounds or exhaust popping sounds while engine breaking down a hill.

Overall it's a huge improvement, but feels less like a raw AMG car and much more refined now, except when in S+. I'll probably drive more in C mode now.
Interesting, but my experience has been similar.

For almost all of my life behind the wheel, I was using a clutch and a shift. I was having difficulty getting used to the shift points of the C63s in S+ or in any setting. It was so different than the shift points I had used manually for many years. After the update, I feel like in S+ the shift points are more "natural", i.e. when I drive around town, the transmission shifts in the rpm range where I would normally shift. Now for the first time I am feeling comfortable with the transmission.
DRGG is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Recall 4911 ?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: