Sponsored by:

Engine Recall 4911 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 08:00 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by DRGG
That's not my impression. Sports+ mode was very aggressive and downshifted at the slightest provocation BEFORE the upgrade. It now tends to upshift sooner in normal city driving which makes sense if the changes were made to improve gas mileage.
ugh, sounds like a downgrade more than an upgrade. I wouldn’t want sport+ not reacting quickly to throttle input, or short shifting up on me. Shame they neutered sport+ when there are already comfort and sport modes available that are less aggressive.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by ezatnova
ugh, sounds like a downgrade more than an upgrade. I wouldn’t want sport+ not reacting quickly to throttle input, or short shifting up on me. Shame they neutered sport+ when there are already comfort and sport modes available that are less aggressive.
No, it is still responsive but doesn't get hung up in lower gear forever and a day. It will promptly shift to a higher gear when it receives no more input. For me, it's much better and more like I would shift if I was shifting in manual mode. But maybe some people like a noisy car, LOL!
Old 05-03-2019, 08:39 PM

2016 C63S
No, it is still responsive but doesn't get hung up in lower gear forever and a day. It will promptly shift to a higher gear when it receives no more input. For me, it's much better and more like I would shift if I was shifting in manual mode. But maybe some people like a noisy car, LOL!
most times in a situation where I want a downshift, I’m also going to want instant response in that timeframe, ie a winding road, where you come off the gas on the bends. Would annoy me to no end and be terribly upsetting to the balance of the car to be upshifting and downshifting at ever throttle input change rather than simply holding the gear for a reasonable timeframe, as it does now.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Got this update done when I had my 17' Coupe in for service. I didn't know about it until the SA ran my VIN and said there were a few updates available. I don't ever dive in auto, but the first thing I noticed is how quick/responsive the manual paddle shifts were. They seem even more responsive than before (even before the transmission was fully warmed up), so for sure there were good transmission updates made.

They also performed a software update for the AMG Suspension Control Unit and my suspension settings feel better than before. Sports+ suspension feels firm like before but more stable, and comfort feels more compliant. I'm not sure if it's placebo, but between the suspension update and the 2019020003 update, the car feels great. Traction seems better and power more linear in manual mode.

I reinstalled the Dinan tune after a day or so of driving stock with the software updates, and the car is an animal with the extra boost.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:43 AM

C63S AMG Coupe
most times in a situation where I want a downshift, I’m also going to want instant response in that timeframe, ie a winding road, where you come off the gas on the bends. Would annoy me to no end and be terribly upsetting to the balance of the car to be upshifting and downshifting at ever throttle input change rather than simply holding the gear for a reasonable timeframe, as it does now.
The car still will respond to your style of driving depending on what you are doing with the throttle. While we have few winding roads here, I still think you would not know the difference because if I get on the throttle it will stay in the lower gear as long as I am driving aggressively. It's just that now it senses more quickly when I am not going to drive aggressively and returns more quickly to how I want to drive - all in all a more responsive transmission. The car was annoying before and now I am happier with it. To each his own I guess.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:59 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Got this update done when I had my 17' Coupe in for service. I didn't know about it until the SA ran my VIN and said there were a few updates available. I don't ever dive in auto, but the first thing I noticed is how quick/responsive the manual paddle shifts were. They seem even more responsive than before (even before the transmission was fully warmed up), so for sure there were good transmission updates made.

They also performed a software update for the AMG Suspension Control Unit and my suspension settings feel better than before. Sports+ suspension feels firm like before but more stable, and comfort feels more compliant. I'm not sure if it's placebo, but between the suspension update and the 2019020003 update, the car feels great. Traction seems better and power more linear in manual mode.

I reinstalled the Dinan tune after a day or so of driving stock with the software updates, and the car is an animal with the extra boost.
So no loss of sound for you?
Old 05-05-2019, 10:09 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned

Anytime your ECU/TCU is updated, it resets your shifting behaviour back to the default settings. All adaptations are erased. So even if there are no changes to the code within the update, your transmission will always shift and feel different than it did before an ECU/TCU flash.

People keep claiming this update changes shifting, whether it be the shift points, the smoothness, or whatever it might be. But all everyone if feeling is the change in the adaptations. Give it time, and it'll re-learn you and your driving habits. And it'll shirt identically to it did before the update.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
No loss of sound for me. I still get the cracks and pops like before. I do agree that it feels like the ECU/TCU is still adapting and learning as I drive more. After installing the Dinan tune back, the transmission feels like it shifts about the same as before the update in terms of paddle responsiveness in Manual mode - so it's possible it felt more responsive after the update because I was still on the stock tune.

On an unrelated note, I ran into a de-badged white 991.2 GT3RS yesterday with my wife and our 55 pound Labrador Retreiver in the back seat and we were neck and neck doing a couple pulls. I think without my wife and dog in the car (and a trunk loaded full of stuff), I would have had a 1-2 mph advantage and slowly creeped by. Just kind of mind blowing that a Coupe that weighs over 1000lbs more than an RS can keep up with just a simple tune.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:25 AM

C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by msd3075
Anytime your ECU/TCU is updated, it resets your shifting behaviour back to the default settings. All adaptations are erased. So even if there are no changes to the code within the update, your transmission will always shift and feel different than it did before an ECU/TCU flash.

People keep claiming this update changes shifting, whether it be the shift points, the smoothness, or whatever it might be. But all everyone if feeling is the change in the adaptations. Give it time, and it'll re-learn you and your driving habits. And it'll shirt identically to it did before the update.
What would be the point of re-flashing the ECU if it did not make any changes? Unless someone can record the shifts then it is totally subjective now. Anyway, I am convinced that when I got the new upgrade it resolved some of my complaints because I was never totally happy since day 1. I was not aware of the upgrade until I noticed the difference and inquired.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:47 AM

'15 C63S
What would be the point of re-flashing the ECU if it did not make any changes? Unless someone can record the shifts then it is totally subjective now. Anyway, I am convinced that when I got the new upgrade it resolved some of my complaints because I was never totally happy since day 1. I was not aware of the upgrade until I noticed the difference and inquired.

It's no different than resetting your phone to the factory defaults or reloading Windows onto your PC when you have a critical error. You are simply re-flashing the ECU back to a clean copy of the same software version you are currently running.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:01 PM

C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by msd3075
It's no different than resetting your phone to the factory defaults or reloading Windows onto your PC when you have a critical error. You are simply re-flashing the ECU back to a clean copy of the same software version you are currently running.
Your explanation makes perfect sense - only if the software is the same as before.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:40 PM

'15 C63S
Your explanation makes perfect sense - only if the software is the same as before.

At least in my case, it was the same software.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C63 s Coupe
Hi,

Anyone have any info on 2019020002update? I can only find information about the 2019020003 update. I'm booked to go for that recall in a week, I would like to know what it's about before I go.

2017 C63 s and I'm in Canada.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2019, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C63 s Coupe
Nevermind, found it;

"Campaign No. 2019020002, February 2019

TO: ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CENTERS SUBJECT: Model C-Class (205 platform) and AMG GT-Class (190 platform) Model Year 2016-2018 Update engine electronics (ME-SFI) control unit software Daimler AG (“DAG”), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, has determined that on certain Model Year (“MY”) 2016-2018 C-Class (205 platform) and AMG-GT-Class (190 platform) vehicles, an incorrect software could cause certain vehicles to exceed certain emissions requirements. An authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will update the engine control unit software on the affected vehicles.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:41 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Had the update done this week. Y’all are crazy. I don’t notice a single difference, negative or positive.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
As I read conflicting stories I’m thinking of a possibility. There was an update in 2017 that improved the sound nicely but managed the torque at the first gear during normal starts. Now if you didn’t get that update you might report that this new update improved your sound. If you did the 2017 update now the car feels less loud and powerful. Same update different results because the baselines are different and the reports are subjective.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63s, W205
Did it yesterday on Terminal MB. Seems louder, still drifts like crazy.
The following users liked this post:
cyberorth (06-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 10:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
17 c63 coupe BRILLIANT BLUE
alright soooo 2017 january delivery here. got this recall done a month ago (i kept my car from the dealership for a year to avoid this update, was forced to bring it there after an accident). the car's sound is COMPLETELY different. muffled, 50% quieter in sport+. i have 45k miles on my car, and can confirm every post in this thread that talks about it being quieter. the car is basically neutered. the guys posting here saying it sounds louder have the facelift models where they came quiet from the factory.

my question is, the dealership refuses to roll back my recall or reset my ECU because "its against the law, we are mandated by mercedes corporate to do the recalls on all vehicles." If i bring my car to an indy shop, would they theoretically be able to reset my ECU? i bought this car for the v8 and the sound. it literally sounds terrible now.
Old 12-16-2019, 11:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63s, W205
Originally Posted by kzflags
alright soooo 2017 january delivery here. got this recall done a month ago (i kept my car from the dealership for a year to avoid this update, was forced to bring it there after an accident). the car's sound is COMPLETELY different. muffled, 50% quieter in sport+. i have 45k miles on my car, and can confirm every post in this thread that talks about it being quieter. the car is basically neutered. the guys posting here saying it sounds louder have the facelift models where they came quiet from the factory.

my question is, the dealership refuses to roll back my recall or reset my ECU because "its against the law, we are mandated by mercedes corporate to do the recalls on all vehicles." If i bring my car to an indy shop, would they theoretically be able to reset my ECU? i bought this car for the v8 and the sound. it literally sounds terrible now.
Mine is a 2016, so not a facelift.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Doron Wallach
Mine is a 2016, so not a facelift.
you also have a sedan, which has been proven to be materially quieter from the factory than the coupe
Old 12-17-2019, 08:08 AM

2016 C63S
you also have a sedan, which has been proven to be materially quieter from the factory than the coupe
been on here and involved with these cars for many years and have never seen or heard that. It’s the same actuators, cross pipe and mufflers between the sedan and coupe.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:12 AM

been on here and involved with these cars for many years and have never seen or heard that. It’s the same actuators, cross pipe and mufflers between the sedan and coupe.
there’s literally a 10 page thread on this forum spanning 2 years that talks about the coupes being louder than the sedans, hence everyone clamoring for this exhaust software upgrade back in 2017
Old 12-17-2019, 08:50 AM

2016 C63S
there’s literally a 10 page thread on this forum spanning 2 years that talks about the coupes being louder than the sedans, hence everyone clamoring for this exhaust software upgrade back in 2017
exhaust software impacted coupes and sedans equally all during this original exhaust software thread. I have a sedan and was impacted the same as the coupes. Also know several folks with coupes and they’ve never been louder than my car.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...pgrade-13.html

Last edited by ezatnova; 12-17-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:16 AM

exhaust software impacted coupes and sedans equally all during this original exhaust software thread. I have a sedan and was impacted the same as the coupes. Also know several folks with coupes and they’ve never been louder than my car.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...pgrade-13.html
you have reading comprehension problems. I’m stating the coupes came louder from the FACTORY than the sedans. Hence everyone wanting this software update 3 years ago. It has nothing to do with the cross pipe or mufflers, only the ecu
Old 12-17-2019, 02:02 PM

C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by midareff1
You are not the only one. My 2018 C63S was done last Thursday, the 14th, at it's first year's service. It shifts definitely smoother and just feels different in S and S+. Less snap, crackle and pop for sure too. None in S, S+ is reduced. As another poster mentioned, the ECU may need to readapt before all is said and done but by that time I will have readapted too.
I took mine in for unscheduled visit just to check tires and fluid levels last month. There was a recall/software update related to the suspension according to the service advisor. I have not noticed any difference other than maybe the ride is slightly better in S+. I have had every software update since I purchased the car in 2018 and have not noticed any volume change or diminution in pops and burbles at any time. At one time I noticed that shifting was smoother after an ECU update about a year ago - a welcome change BTW. At this point I am quite satisfied with my purchase.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Recall 4911 ?