Sponsored by:

Defeating ECO start/stop option for 2019 C63s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63s
Defeating ECO start/stop option for 2019 C63s

Has anybody successfully defeated the ECO start/stop setting which is automatically turned on for 2019 model? Has anyone tried the Midcity Engineering or eBay programing module to see if they work for the 2019 AMG models? Thanks.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 C63 s
I’m also looking for a permanent “go away” setting for eco. All I could figure out is having it on my steering wheel lower button and I’ve just got in the habit of start/hit the button. Annoying though if I go to sport mode then comfort for a bit and it’s back. Just adds to the ridiculously jerky low speed feel of the car.
seriously, I’ve had sone very fast cars and raced desert trucks before and other than a high stall torque converter, never had a car as jerky as this in stop and go. My only real complaint.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:51 AM

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
C63s
Don’t you have a button on the console to switch it off?
Old 03-17-2019, 03:01 PM

2019 C63 s
Originally Posted by japamg
Don’t you have a button on the console to switch it off?
I just meant that it’s an easier shortcut because my left hand is always on the wheel.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:45 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by scrufy
I just meant that it’s an easier shortcut because my left hand is always on the wheel.
Then take it off the wheel for a few seconds. Problem solved.

Have we really become that lazy?
Old 03-17-2019, 09:20 PM

2019 C63 s
Uh. Yeah, well thanks for the suggestion but I’ll keep on looking for something similar to CAN Bus programming I did to an e90 I had.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by libratl
Has anybody successfully defeated the ECO start/stop setting which is automatically turned on for 2019 model? Has anyone tried the Midcity Engineering or eBay programing module to see if they work for the 2019 AMG models? Thanks.
Where are you located? I know there are a few shops that can do it. I may be able to help you.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:04 PM

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
c63s
awww man, you mean the auto shut off is not permanently defeatable? That's one of the things I like about my M4, one button press and it's always off whenever i start my car...annoying having to turn it off every time, like i do on the audi. why, mercedes, wwwwwhy?!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:04 PM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr
Originally Posted by mrguitar
awww man, you mean the auto shut off is not permanently defeatable? That's one of the things I like about my M4, one button press and it's always off whenever i start my car...annoying having to turn it off every time, like i do on the audi. why, mercedes, wwwwwhy?!
Stop/Start has never been permanently defeatable on any Mercedes. It's not active on Sport/Sport+/Race, but if you drive around in Comfort you'll need to press the button every time you turn the car on.

Luckily the new Drive Unit steering button controls on the 2019's make it much easier. My setup is Exhaust and Auto Stop/Start. Both get a press before the engine even starts. It's become a habit now and I don't really mind it, it's really not a big deal lol. On the pre-FL it was more annoying.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:11 PM

c63s
Originally Posted by Xec
Stop/Start has never been permanently defeatable on any Mercedes. It's not active on Sport/Sport+/Race, but if you drive around in Comfort you'll need to press the button every time you turn the car on.

Luckily the new Drive Unit steering button controls on the 2019's make it much easier. My setup is Exhaust and Auto Stop/Start. Both get a press before the engine even starts. It's become a habit now and I don't really mind it, it's really not a big deal lol. On the pre-FL it was more annoying.
ahhh it deactivates when in non-comfort mode? that works for me i suppose...good idea with the drive unit too, looks like there are...options. was never a deal breaker for me anyway, was just annoying that they do that on an AMG performance car where no one buys this car thinking that will be an important feature.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:37 AM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 C63S Sedan
The OEM gets some MPG credit from the government for having the start/stop system installed.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:21 AM

c63s
Originally Posted by Chigs
The OEM gets some MPG credit from the government for having the start/stop system installed.
Well I'm not talking about the feature itself so much as how it's configured to always be on by default. BMW allows it to be disabled by default...don't know why it's so hard for MBZ/Audi to do the same...
Old 03-21-2019, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,435 Posts
2019 C63CS
Well I'm not talking about the feature itself so much as how it's configured to always be on by default. BMW allows it to be disabled by default...don't know why it's so hard for MBZ/Audi to do the same...
It's a regulatory thing and depends on how the car was certified. Most emission certification bodies such as the EPA, require that a car starts in the mode that was used to get it certified and yields the mpg numbers indicated on the window sticker. This is why Mercs start in Comfort mode with ECO on. BMW must have certified theirs with it off, but the engine starts up in ECO mode. Audi is similar. Audi's powertrain always starts in Comfort/Auto mode with stop/start on if equipped, but US spec RS models and the R8 don't have stop/start.
The following users liked this post:
mrguitar (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:08 PM

2018 C63S Sedan
I not bothered by flicking it in to individual mode. It's just natural after I push the start button.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:42 PM

c63s
I not bothered by flicking it in to individual mode. It's just natural after I push the start button.
yeah, technically, although BMW allows you to disable the start/stop, they do always put you in eco mode at start up, which I suppose is somewhat similar (especially if I want to always start in sport mode)...if start/stop is automatically disabled on the MBZ in anything other than comfort mode, then i would say that is similar to BMW in that you still have to make some sort of button/switch adjustment...annoyance avoided!
Old 03-21-2019, 02:51 PM

'15 C63S
yeah, technically, although BMW allows you to disable the start/stop, they do always put you in eco mode at start up, which I suppose is somewhat similar (especially if I want to always start in sport mode)...if start/stop is automatically disabled on the MBZ in anything other than comfort mode, then i would say that is similar to BMW in that you still have to make some sort of button/switch adjustment...annoyance avoided!
One thing to note though. At least on my wife's BMW X5, the Auto Stop/Start feature stays off if you push the button to turn it off, but changing the driving mode (Comfort, Sport, Sport+) doesn't change the Auto Stop/Start feature. If it's turned on in Comfort mode and you switch to Sport+, the Auto Stop/Start stays on.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:33 PM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr
Originally Posted by msd3075
One thing to note though. At least on my wife's BMW X5, the Auto Stop/Start feature stays off if you push the button to turn it off, but changing the driving mode (Comfort, Sport, Sport+) doesn't change the Auto Stop/Start feature. If it's turned on in Comfort mode and you switch to Sport+, the Auto Stop/Start stays on.
Nice, similar for Benz as well. If Auto Stop/Start is deactivated in Comfort mode, going to Sport and back to Comfort doesn’t activate Stop/Start again. It only reactivates after the engine is shut off.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:37 PM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by Xec
Nice, similar for Benz as well. If Auto Stop/Start is deactivated in Comfort mode, going to Sport and back to Comfort doesn’t activate Stop/Start again. It only reactivates after the engine is shut off.
I don't think I explained that very well. What I was trying to say is that, with the BMW setup, changing the driving mode has no effect on the Auto Stop/Start feature. The actual button for the feature is the only way to turn it on/off, and it stays that way after restarts.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c class coupe
Originally Posted by Xec

You can turn it off by disconnecting the sensor on the negative lead of the starter battery, to turn it back on again reconnect the plug. What the disconnect actually does is stop the EMU from reading the SOC of the battery, without this information it reverts from a smart charging regime to a standard charge, same as before stop/start and smart charging were introduced. Because the EMU does not now know the SOC of the battery it stops the stop/start function from engaging as without knowledge of the SOC it can`t ensure the car will restart after the short stop.

With smart charge in play the EMU not allow the alternator under engine power to charge the battery above 75%, this is to ensure there is enough room in the battery to take a high charge from the alternator when the car is braking or coasting and to save fuel. The idea is for the alternator to be used as little as possible to save fuel which is minimal for my SLK. One problem with this system is that the battery rarely gets charged much beyond 80% which leaves little emergency backup energy within the battery.

Up to 2018 owners of a Ford Ranger could have smart charging turned off under warranty by the dealer, doing this also stopped stop/start functioning, the charge regime then reverted to a standard charge of around 14 volts, all smart systems are similar on all makes of cars. I have been running my 2012 C-Class coupe CGI petrol with the sensor disconnected for over 6 months, runs as normal with no EML, stop/start on dash never goes green and Alternator charges between 13.8 and 14.2 volts.

As for fuel gain with these systems, I compared an SLK 200 R171 against SLK 200 R172, the R172 car had, direct fuel injection, turbo, stop/start and regeneration which the R171 did not have, all that extra technology which will probably go wrong in later years saved only 1.9% of fuel.

http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/f...t-Charge/page3

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg.../slk-r172-2011

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg.../slk-r171-2004

http://www.talkhyundai.com/hyundaifo...-agm-brattery/
( read Post 5 )

Last edited by Robuk; 04-10-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63
I think any car sold in the USA with a automatic transmission has to have this feature now, only standard transmission cars don't have it
Old 04-10-2019, 04:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 C63s Edition 1 JB4
Get in car, switch to S+ mode, problem solved! That's what I do...
Old 04-10-2019, 05:28 PM

2018 C63S Sedan
Cool

Originally Posted by Vader-C63sE1
That switch is so far away though...
Old 04-10-2019, 06:21 PM

c63s
Originally Posted by Vader-C63sE1
If you switch back into comfort when driving for a while in sport+, will the eco come on again? In other words, does switching back to comfort effectively reset the eco setting?
Old 04-10-2019, 10:36 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
That switch is so far away though...
Not on the 19's
Old 04-11-2019, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
A solution that generally works for me is that I do not stamp the brakes to the point of shutoff. In most scenarios if you gently press on the brake, the car will remain stationery, you do not need to press it all the way. I found I learned this trick within a day or two of taking delivery of the car. Just my 0.02c.
The following users liked this post:
Dieseldan9 (04-11-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Defeating ECO start/stop option for 2019 C63s