Sponsored by:

At long last...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 10:49 AM

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
c63s
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Because it’s cheaper one panel that will work with multiple models than it is to build unique panels for each model.
Yeah I know, I get it. It's like what they do with the steering wheel as well. But they also do many many other things that are unique to various AMG lines, such as wider body, diffusers, etc. which, although I realize are "big ticket" items, in some ways justifies addressing smaller issues like this. Anywayzzzzz, I'm sure there's more to it...just my rant du jour.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:18 AM

c63s
Originally Posted by JPM-3
To solve the unevenness of the empty buttons with the functional ones, I just ordered my car without any of the those pesky driver assists and options.
I don't know if I would have gone *that* far...but to each, his/her own!
Old 10-07-2019, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG C63S Cabriolet
mrguitar, I upgraded from a 2012 BMW 135i Convertible and share many of the same observations. Of course, the jump from a 135i to a C63 is much larger than from an M4.

The AMG is much nicer and more luxurious than any 3 or 4 series I've been in recently.

Build quality does seem a bit spotty. I've got a bit of a panel gap on my bumper and the driver's side air vent is already rattling. Though outside of those two things it's great.

I actually notice much less turbulence driving with the top down compared to my 135. Driving at highway speeds in the 135 without the rear wind deflector in was very rough. It's not bad in the AMG and rolling up the windows makes it downright pleasant. I actually don't notice Aircap doing much to be honest. It does help a bit when I've got the heat or A/C on so I use it in those situations but it adds an awful lot of noise.

The soft top on this car is incredible. It's so much quieter inside than my 135 was. I can't really compare it to the hard top 4 series, I never much liked the hard top convertible concept for the reasons you mention.

The Mercedes Infotainment system is TERRIBLE compared with iDrive, both the modern version and the much older version in my 2012 BMW. iDrive is well thought out and easy to learn. Comand seems like it grew organically and not much thought was given to where options should go. For example, go into the "Settings" menu in a BMW and you'll find absolutely everything that is configurable. In the Merc, those settings are strewn about. Some are under "Settings", others under "Vehicle". Want to change EQ settings for the audio system? Look under "Radio", "Media", "mercedes connect", depending on which input you want to modify. Want to adjust the heads-up-display? That's only accessible via the steering wheel in the instrument cluster. Want to check when you next need to take the car in for service? Don't look under "Vehicle" which would make sense, fumble around with the instrument cluster to find the "Service" menu. It's a mess.

Another bit on the infotainment system, BMW has wireless CarPlay now. I love using CarPlay in the C63! I just wish I didn't have to take the phone out of my pocket and fumble around plugging it in. I'd rather keep the phone in my pocket most times and just set it on the wireless charging pad if I want to charge the phone. Incidentally, the wireless charging option was a total waste of money because I always plug in my phone to use CarPlay.

I also miss having the shifter stalk for shifting while turning if I've got the car in manual mode.

With that out of the way...

This car is incredible. It's poised, quiet, and comfortable when I want it to be. It's loud, brutal, and fast when I want it to be. And it just takes a twist of the knob on the steering wheel.

The tech and assistance features in the car are top notch. When I get stuck in traffic, turn on cruise control, rest my hand on the steering wheel, and the car does the rest. The 360 cameras are superb and help make sure I don't curb the very nice rims or damage the expensive carbon fiber bits pulling into a parking spot. The headlights offer amazing visibility without blinding traffic in front of you and the auto-high beams just work.

The C63 really hits a sweet spot for me, and I think in the market. It's both luxurious and sporty. It'll turn heads far more than an M4 would but it's not "shouty" like an exotic car. It's full of great tech features. And it's a bit unique. I've only seen two other C63s driving around in the area I live while M4s are a dime a dozen.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,646 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by senres
mrguitar, I upgraded from a 2012 BMW 135i Convertible and share many of the same observations. Of course, the jump from a 135i to a C63 is much larger than from an M4.

The AMG is much nicer and more luxurious than any 3 or 4 series I've been in recently.

Build quality does seem a bit spotty. I've got a bit of a panel gap on my bumper and the driver's side air vent is already rattling. Though outside of those two things it's great.

I actually notice much less turbulence driving with the top down compared to my 135. Driving at highway speeds in the 135 without the rear wind deflector in was very rough. It's not bad in the AMG and rolling up the windows makes it downright pleasant. I actually don't notice Aircap doing much to be honest. It does help a bit when I've got the heat or A/C on so I use it in those situations but it adds an awful lot of noise.

The soft top on this car is incredible. It's so much quieter inside than my 135 was. I can't really compare it to the hard top 4 series, I never much liked the hard top convertible concept for the reasons you mention.

The Mercedes Infotainment system is TERRIBLE compared with iDrive, both the modern version and the much older version in my 2012 BMW. iDrive is well thought out and easy to learn. Comand seems like it grew organically and not much thought was given to where options should go. For example, go into the "Settings" menu in a BMW and you'll find absolutely everything that is configurable. In the Merc, those settings are strewn about. Some are under "Settings", others under "Vehicle". Want to change EQ settings for the audio system? Look under "Radio", "Media", "mercedes connect", depending on which input you want to modify. Want to adjust the heads-up-display? That's only accessible via the steering wheel in the instrument cluster. Want to check when you next need to take the car in for service? Don't look under "Vehicle" which would make sense, fumble around with the instrument cluster to find the "Service" menu. It's a mess.

Another bit on the infotainment system, BMW has wireless CarPlay now. I love using CarPlay in the C63! I just wish I didn't have to take the phone out of my pocket and fumble around plugging it in. I'd rather keep the phone in my pocket most times and just set it on the wireless charging pad if I want to charge the phone. Incidentally, the wireless charging option was a total waste of money because I always plug in my phone to use CarPlay.

I also miss having the shifter stalk for shifting while turning if I've got the car in manual mode.

This car is incredible. It's poised, quiet, and comfortable when I want it to be. It's loud, brutal, and fast when I want it to be. And it just takes a twist of the knob on the steering wheel.

The tech and assistance features in the car are top notch. When I get stuck in traffic, turn on cruise control, rest my hand on the steering wheel, and the car does the rest. The 360 cameras are superb and help make sure I don't curb the very nice rims or damage the expensive carbon fiber bits pulling into a parking spot. The headlights offer amazing visibility without blinding traffic in front of you and the auto-high beams just work.

The C63 really hits a sweet spot for me, and I think in the market. It's both luxurious and sporty. It'll turn heads far more than an M4 would but it's not "shouty" like an exotic car. It's full of great tech features. And it's a bit unique. I've only seen two other C63s driving around in the area I live while M4s are a dime a dozen.
I agree the C63 does hit the sweet spot. As for the Infotainment, it's like the operating systems on computers/phones these days. They all do roughly the same thing, but each adds its own flavor. I actually like the settings to be in their respective area instead of a big global settings area that just keeps growing. It's a big complaint on iOS for example with the Settings app having gotten out of hand and hard to find a specific setting. But with all modern tech, it's the services and eco system that make or break a system, and that's where I think MB is ahead. Yes, MB doesn't support wireless CarPlay, which I'm actually kind of indifferent about, because I've heard that wireless CarPlay is kinda laggy and not as crisp, but as opposed to BMW, MB doesn't charge a subscription for CarPlay and also supports Android Auto for all the non-iPhone users, which BMW continues to refuse to implement in their cars. Not sure what BMW charges for BMW Connected Drive, but I like how all the Mercedes Me Connect services are free of charge for the first 3 years and I keep discovering cool things that I haven't seen done before. For example, the map shows POIs such as gas stations and parking structures, which is not unique, but they show fuel prices in case of gas stations and available parking spots directly on the map. That's kinda cool. MB also is the only one that has remote start from their app as far as I know. The digital cockpit is also better, IMO. Much more configurable than the largely static digital cockpit in BMWs. I love the SuperSports mode that puts the rev counter in the center and doesn't waste so much real estate with the speedometer which IMO opinion is huge waste of space. I've heard good things about iDrive, but I think overall if you consider the services and the better support for third party tech such as Android Auto, MB in my opinion has the lead currently. It's a bit of a shame that we don't get MBUX with the cool AR navigation etc., but I'm somewhat indifferent about it, too.
The following users liked this post:
mrguitar (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 12:30 PM

c63s

I think this is a difference between the 1-series and 4-series. The M4 feels more "slippery" with the top down (but windows up) than the C63. I agree with you on AIRCAP *from the front seats* however, my kids say it's much easier to talk/hear in the back with AIRCAP up. Meh, they're kids though, so I guess their input is not that important on such an serious subject. Have not driven with the wind deflector yet (haven't even taken it out/seen it yet either LOL).

+1. I love how quiet everything is through the soft top. Except for the minor and infrequent shake at 100mph, it is just as quiet as any hard top, convertible or non. Definitely just as quiet as the M4 top as far as outside noises go.

So glad you mentioned this. I haven't been able to properly wrap my mind around what is so wrong with this system because it's so much more advanced and flashy than in the M. But you hit the nail on the head. It's just so cumbersome. Looks awesome, but annoying to navigate around. I was just even thinking about the radio the other day...in the M, you have the preset hard buttons you can use; also the head-up display shows the presets as you scroll through them very easily/simply. In the C63, the presets are SO LAME. You have to click to the right, then scroll down the list, all while staring at the center console screen. Something so simple is so much better implemented in the M. I agree, iDrive is much more intuitive.

I've heard that AMG will be using Wireless CarPlay in the 2020s. I think it's called MBUX? I agree, it would have been awesome to get this feature in the 2019 since I hate taking my phone out of my pocket. I am TOTALLY with you on the wireless charging conundrum LOL. I HAD to have this option, but find myself never using it since I have to plug in for CarPlay. haha. lameness. One thing to note is I believe BMW will be charging monthly/annually for CarPlay moving forward...that sux. [/QUOTE]

+1

Agree 100%. In spite of its shortcomings, it's such a better car overall. It's more fun to be in and nicer/more luxurious to boot. I'd take it 10/10 times over an M4 again (i.e. until the new M comes out, which I would have to evaluate again later haha).

Only thing I will disagree with you on is that, even though *I* think the car looks better, I never get a 2nd glance anywhere around here in Socal. Everyone thinks my car is a C300 convertible, which are a dime a dozen out here (MBZ is killing the sales game with the C-class). I used to get looks all the time with the M4 (but maybe bc it was flashy baby blue colored. haha). In any case, I do personally think it looks awesome.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG C63S Cabriolet
superswiss, I had not heard that BMW are now charging an annual fee for CarPlay. That's nuts! I suspect they see the writing on the wall that nobody will be paying for their $300 navigation updates with the advent of CarPlay (and Android Auto whenever they end up supporting it) and so they are looking for how to recoup that income. Sigh.

mrguitar, point taken on passengers in the rear seat. I've only had my dog and infant back there thus far, and I keep the top up when they're in the car I can see Aircap making a big difference for those in the rear seats!

RE: head turning, must be region specific and depend on the market. BMW is killing it in the triangle area of NC. MB is doing great with C sedans and GLC SUVs, they're everywhere, but I don't see many C300 coupes or convertibles. They seem as rare as the C63 here.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:59 PM

c63s
Originally Posted by superswiss
I agree the C63 does hit the sweet spot. As for the Infotainment, it's like the operating systems on computers/phones these days. They all do roughly the same thing, but each adds its own flavor. I actually like the settings to be in their respective area instead of a big global settings area that just keeps growing. It's a big complaint on iOS for example with the Settings app having gotten out of hand and hard to find a specific setting. But with all modern tech, it's the services and eco system that make or break a system, and that's where I think MB is ahead. Yes, MB doesn't support wireless CarPlay, which I'm actually kind of indifferent about, because I've heard that wireless CarPlay is kinda laggy and not as crisp, but as opposed to BMW, MB doesn't charge a subscription for CarPlay and also supports Android Auto for all the non-iPhone users, which BMW continues to refuse to implement in their cars. Not sure what BMW charges for BMW Connected Drive, but I like how all the Mercedes Me Connect services are free of charge for the first 3 years and I keep discovering cool things that I haven't seen done before. For example, the map shows POIs such as gas stations and parking structures, which is not unique, but they show fuel prices in case of gas stations and available parking spots directly on the map. That's kinda cool. MB also is the only one that has remote start from their app as far as I know. The digital cockpit is also better, IMO. Much more configurable than the largely static digital cockpit in BMWs. I love the SuperSports mode that puts the rev counter in the center and doesn't waste so much real estate with the speedometer which IMO opinion is huge waste of space. I've heard good things about iDrive, but I think overall if you consider the services and the better support for third party tech such as Android Auto, MB in my opinion has the lead currently. It's a bit of a shame that we don't get MBUX with the cool AR navigation etc., but I'm somewhat indifferent about it, too.
Yeah, it's also about the learning curve. I'm sure after a while I'll get used to all the MBZ "idiosyncrasies" and it'll be fine. The infotainment was never a game-changing complaint for me anyway. I would totally get this car again over an M4 in spite of all I know now.

Didn't know that about the gas stations and parking spaces...gonna have to check that out.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:09 PM

c63s
RE: head turning, must be region specific and depend on the market. BMW is killing it in the triangle area of NC. MB is doing great with C sedans and GLC SUVs, they're everywhere, but I don't see many C300 coupes or convertibles. They seem as rare as the C63 here.
Socal is the largest Mercedes and AMG market--I believe--in the world. There are TONS of C-classes everywhere you look out here. I do see a ton of C-class Cabrio's around here too, many of them white/black top, just like mine. From a distance, a casual viewer will not notice the magno paint, flared fenders, wider-stance, etc. of my car. Only when closer up does one notice these things...it's one of the drawbacks (visually speaking) of having a tuned car vs a built car (like the AMG GT), but that also goes for the M division as well at some level.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,969 Likes on 2,646 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by mrguitar
Yeah, it's also about the learning curve. I'm sure after a while I'll get used to all the MBZ "idiosyncrasies" and it'll be fine. The infotainment was never a game-changing complaint for me anyway. I would totally get this car again over an M4 in spite of all I know now.

Didn't know that about the gas stations and parking spaces...gonna have to check that out.
Yeah, I think as long as you keep an open mind and are willing to accept the learning curve it will be fine. I definitely don't buy cars for their Infotainment systems as many of the younger generations seem to do these days. I had an interesting discussing during the AMG tour in Germany. The tour guide highlighted how AMG deliberately doesn't make a fuss about their technology. Their attitude is that they build emotional cars that are about the driving experience and that's what they tout. The tech is just stuff that's expected to be there and shouldn't be the main focal point. I totally agree with this. I do like gadgets and the outdated Infotainment systems definitely partly steered me away from the 2018s, but first and foremost this car is about the driving experience.

I did use CarPlay/Google Maps mostly at the beginning, primarily because during my 2 months in Europe, none of the Me services were active, so I didn't have traffic information in the built-in nav for example. However, since I have the car in the USA I started to use the nav and the more I use it the more I like it. The deep integration with the rest of the car is what sets it apart. I went for my first canyon drive this weekend and I discovered that if you have navigation active and pull up the trip computer on the right side (SuperSports view) it shows a scale at the bottom with miles to empty and miles to one's destination side-by-side. Really cool to see if you have enough fuel to make it to your destination or if you need to stop at a gas station. Seems like a little thing, but so very useful. The integration with the phone app works pretty well to. It's nice that you can send a navigation destination from any app using the iOS Share Sheets to the car even if there is no cell coverage. It uses Bluetooth to send the destination to the car's nav if the phone is connected. So it's really easy to look up a destination on my phone (in Google Maps for example) and then quickly send it to the car, wait for the notification to pop up and start the navigation. I'll probably be using that mostly moving forward. Still occasionally will use Google Maps if it's easier and depending on where/when I drive, it comes up with better routes through less busy side roads. It's good to have options.

Originally Posted by mrguitar
Socal is the largest Mercedes and AMG market--I believe--in the world. There are TONS of C-classes everywhere you look out here. I do see a ton of C-class Cabrio's around here too, many of them white/black top, just like mine. From a distance, a casual viewer will not notice the magno paint, flared fenders, wider-stance, etc. of my car. Only when closer up does one notice these things...it's one of the drawbacks (visually speaking) of having a tuned car vs a built car (like the AMG GT), but that also goes for the M division as well at some level.
There are a lot of Mercedes here in NorCal, too, but not that many AMGs. The C63 definitely attracts its share of attention. Just yesterday I went to grab a coffee and as I was walking up to my car some guy was circling it, looking at it from all angles and peeking inside. I think the AMG Aero Package is also what gives the coupe a much more attention grabbing appearance.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-07-2019 at 01:26 PM.