Sponsored by:

Gear selection on comfort setting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 01:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C63 S EDITION 1/ 2015 BMW X5M
Gear selection on comfort setting

I am pretty sure this is normal but I have noticed that C63S starts on the second gear from stop on comfort mode. Also it doesn't engage right away, feels like the clutch slips and slowly engage to engage smoother launch in comfort mode.... I have always driven on S+ mode but tried comfort mode for first time and that's what I have noticed. What have you guys experienced?
The following users liked this post:
Bobby204 (08-19-2019)
Old 05-07-2019, 01:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
w205 c63s
It's quite common on w205 c63/s, especially when tran oil is cold.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by Alexpark911
I am pretty sure this is normal but I have noticed that C63S starts on the second gear from stop on comfort mode.
Ever since Mercedes offer C mode on their tranny, it alway starting out in 2nd gear.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:02 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
C63s, the good sounding one
What you have noticed is consistent with all C63s. When I need to move very slowly I select manual shift and it drops down into 1st and you don’t experience the high speed stall symptoms on the transmission.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:05 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Alexpark911
I am pretty sure this is normal but I have noticed that C63S starts on the second gear from stop on comfort mode. Also it doesn't engage right away, feels like the clutch slips and slowly engage to engage smoother launch in comfort mode.... I have always driven on S+ mode but tried comfort mode for first time and that's what I have noticed. What have you guys experienced?
Originally Posted by Klinh
Ever since Mercedes offer C mode on their tranny, it alway starting out in 2nd gear.
Face lift (and onwards) MCT 9spd Comfort default now 1st gear

New Slippery mode/setting defaults to a higher gear.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,677 Likes on 2,457 Posts
2019 C63CS
As others have said, this is normal behavior of the 7spd MCT, and one of the things that bothered me about it. It slips the hell out of the clutch. The new 9spd MCT in MY2019+ doesn't do this anymore. On the other hand, some people seem to complain about the lack of smoothness of the new transmission, but I like it more and more. The demand is now on the driver to provide smooth throttle inputs to make it drive smooth. The new transmission has more manual transmission mannerisms, but it rewards with crisp shifts in manual mode, where as the old one needed to mail home often before the shift actually took place. Now that I've had a few 100 miles with the new car, my muscle memory is adapting to the behavior of the new transmission.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
As I said before I don't really have an issue with jerkiness down low.Even my GF who is super sensitive and gets motion sickness doesn't in this car and has said how smooth the ride is and how it's not as jerky as my old 335. I am used to modulating the accelerator carefully because my tuned 335 had too much hp/tq for 1st esp with no LSD.. 1st was useless.. it always started in second.. my s63 always in 1st though. but that car is jerky in manual mode. This new 9 speed is awesome!!! For how much hp and tq the car has I am super happy with how smooth the trans is in auto even in traffic. Much improved over the outgoing 7 speed I drove. I used the Drivers Assistance the other day in bumper to bumper traffic for about 13 miles. I was impressed. Only time I use the system is in traffic and long trips that are 3-5 hrs long. It really proved to me how smooth the new 9 speed is.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,677 Likes on 2,457 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by purplewidow
As I said before I don't really have an issue with jerkiness down low.Even my GF who is super sensitive and gets motion sickness doesn't in this car and has said how smooth the ride is and how it's not as jerky as my old 335. I am used to modulating the accelerator carefully because my tuned 335 had too much hp/tq for 1st esp with no LSD.. 1st was useless.. it always started in second.. my s63 always in 1st though. but that car is jerky in manual mode. This new 9 speed is awesome!!! For how much hp and tq the car has I am super happy with how smooth the trans is in auto even in traffic. Much improved over the outgoing 7 speed I drove. I used the Drivers Assistance the other day in bumper to bumper traffic for about 13 miles. I was impressed. Only time I use the system is in traffic and long trips that are 3-5 hrs long. It really proved to me how smooth the new 9 speed is.
Yep, if driven properly it is very smooth. Jerky throttle input leads to jerky transmission. As we say garbage in, garbage out. This transmission is very responsive and I really like it. Started to drive some mountain roads here in the Swiss Alps and it's a very good transmission. It shifts on cue as I was hoping it would. As good as the dual clutch in my RS5. The driver assistance is indeed impressive. I used it on my 6 hour drive from Germany to Switzerland and in some bumper to bumper traffic. The other day I tried the automatic lane changing to pass. Pretty sweet to just having to turn on the indicator and then the car changes lanes on its own if it's clear. I've been driving around with my parents who are in their early 70s. A bit of a challenge for them to get in the back, but no complaints on how the car drives.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-10-2019 at 11:07 AM.