Sponsored by:

Whining sounds at high rpm under WOT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 03:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C43
Whining sounds at high rpm under WOT

Recently I noticed under WOT my car is making a whining sound around red line rpm (right before auto shift point). Best way to describe the sound is like sound of supercharger. Whining sound only last 1-2 seconds and go away when shift to next gear. Is it normal? Anything I should check. I have a data logger if that helps but I dont know what data I should look at? I will try to take a video to capture the sound if possible when i get a chance.Thank you in advance for any input.

Last edited by hhcheng23; 05-08-2020 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 C63 S
I am experiencing the same EXACT issue. it doesn't always happen but it's right up near readline and sounds like a roots supercharger. My guess so far is it's 1 of 3 things: 1) A dodgy pulley 2) the torque converter 3) turbos

My Mechanic couldn't figure it out. So hoping we can figure something out here together. I also have a data logger if anyone offers any guidance.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:13 AM

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe, 2021 Bmw X5M Competition
Originally Posted by hhcheng23
Recently I noticed under WOT my car is making a whining sound around red line rpm (right before auto shift point). Best way to describe the sound is like sound of supercharger. Whining sound only last 1-2 seconds and go away when shift to next gear. Is it normal? Anything I should check. I have a data logger if that helps but I dont know what data I should look at? I will try to take a video to capture the sound if possible when i get a chance.Thank you in advance for any input.
Turbo whine maybe?
Old 05-08-2020, 04:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 c63s edition 1
Have a look for a vacuum leak. High whines can be from air leaking out of a bad hose or loose connection or even in serious cases intake gasket.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 347 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Is your car still doing this? Any updates on the whining sound?
Old 07-09-2020, 04:45 PM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
I posted this in another thread on the same topic I think a while back, but bottom line I wonder if this is the traction control kicking in via the diverter valves to limit boost.

If you look at the diverter valve in our car the one on the driver side has a tube that goes back into the throttle body. The diverter valves also have wires going to them, so makes me wonder if the ECU has the ability to manipulate the diverter valve action to bleed off boost to control traction/stability, independent of the throttle, and when that happens is creates the whine noise.

See if you can produce it with traction control completely disabled.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63
Think this noise is the same as in my thread ‘Turbo Scream’ which is on the first page of forum presently

Noise is intermittent, last time I heard it car seemed to be performing really well

Call me Mr Thickie if you want but what is WOT?
Old 07-11-2020, 03:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C63 s Edition 1 Sedan
Originally Posted by Behind The Bibs
Think this noise is the same as in my thread ‘Turbo Scream’ which is on the first page of forum presently

Noise is intermittent, last time I heard it car seemed to be performing really well

Call me Mr Thickie if you want but what is WOT?

Wide open throttle...gas pedal to the floor
Old 07-14-2020, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63s
Mine dose the same thing it usually happens in hot weather. It reaches 115 + where I live.I believe its from the turbos as it only happens after repeated pulls in hot weather.It worries me also I take it easy after hearing the noise.

I miss naturally aspirated engines .Eu loves to ruin good things.I love my C63s but it will be my last one however I am planning to keep it forever.I am really upset that it will be the last V8 C63.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 c63
I'm getting the same exact noise as this , seems like some sort of turbo noise maybe but can't reproduce the noise all the time but does happen near redline, anyone get it sorted out ? Definitely not normal
Old 07-21-2020, 12:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
C63S
I’m not sure if I’m getting the same sound as you guys are but I recently got a Weistec Stage 1 tune and since then have been getting a “whoo” sound around 2800-3500 rpm.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
M3
Did anyone ever figure this sound out? My 2018 C63s with 29k miles is doing a weird whine\ heeeee sound during 3rd gear shifts WOT near redline. sounds like its coming from behind the dash where the intakes are around the top area of the engine bay.
Old 06-16-2024, 06:04 PM

Two Frogs and a Kraut (for now)
Originally Posted by shane060
Did anyone ever figure this sound out? My 2018 C63s with 29k miles is doing a weird whine\ heeeee sound during 3rd gear shifts WOT near redline. sounds like its coming from behind the dash where the intakes are around the top area of the engine bay.
I have a 2019 C63, producing the same noise. Any ideas?
Old 06-16-2024, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 347 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Don't stress it's normal

Originally Posted by OirishKev
I have a 2019 C63, producing the same noise. Any ideas?
Just a characteristic of the stock turbos. I know so because I changed the turbos to hybrids and never had that sound again.
Drove another member's car on here (George) and his car has the same weeee sound if you have all windows down and it's a quiet road at WOT. Sometimes it didn't do it at all!!

In my car I drove my PFL turbos with that sound for over 50,000 miles and gave them a hard time and had multiple tunes on mine. They never let me down... always full boost

Honestly wouldn't stress at all unless the sound is starting to get a lot louder.
Old 06-24-2024, 12:41 AM

2017 c63
Still having that noise 4 years later down the road , happens right around redline . Sound like supercharger whine , goes away when getting into the next gear. Would love for someone to figure this one out, also drives me nuts thinking something is going go wrong when driving it hard near redline lol