Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 02:06 PM

Received 144 Likes on 117 Posts
C63s
Passenger Airbag lights

Hi guys

Been trying to get some info but still no clear to me

Should the Airbag On signal stays on all the time? I mean with a passenger on

All airbag lights are on when starting car, then goes off after a couple of secs...

Many thanks!
Old 02-04-2021, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 306 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Originally Posted by japamg
Hi guys

Been trying to get some info but still no clear to me

Should the Airbag On signal stays on all the time? I mean with a passenger on

All airbag lights are on when starting car, then goes off after a couple of secs...

Many thanks!
If you have it disable, it will show all the time, but if you dont, then you need to have it looked at.. have someone run the code on the car and see.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:35 PM

C63s
Originally Posted by FLC63s
If you have it disable, it will show all the time, but if you dont, then you need to have it looked at.. have someone run the code on the car and see.
Not disabled

I am not sure if “airbag on” light was always on or not. But today noticed it goes off when car started

thanks!
Old 02-04-2021, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not disabled

I am not sure if “airbag on” light was always on or not. But today noticed it goes off when car started

thanks!
If it turms off when you start it, thats normal, it goes thru a system check.. if it stays on then get it scanned..
The following users liked this post:
japamg (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 03:41 PM

C63s
If it turms off when you start it, thats normal, it goes thru a system check.. if it stays on then get it scanned..
Thanks!
Old 02-06-2021, 04:05 AM

C63s
So coming back with this...

I checked in my friends car these lights are ON all the time when seat not occupied

Thanks

Last edited by japamg; 02-06-2021 at 04:20 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 06:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I checked in my friends car these lights are ON all the time when seat not occupied

Thanks

you either have it turned off (as it states) or you have a faulty sensor , if they are staying on when your driving .

they will come on when you start the car as it does a systems check.

and understand the car checks for weight in the seat to detect a person, if its below a certain amount but above zero, it will disable as it thinks its a child etc..

all models are different but to be honest i dont understand what your even asking anymore because your now talking about another car and you say it goes off when u drive etc etc

the photo you attached “clearly” shows the airbag as OFF

Last edited by FLC63s; 02-06-2021 at 08:02 AM.
japamg (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 08:27 AM

C63s
you either have it turned off (as it states) or you have a faulty sensor , if they are staying on when your driving .

they will come on when you start the car as it does a systems check.

and understand the car checks for weight in the seat to detect a person, if its below a certain amount but above zero, it will disable as it thinks its a child etc..

all models are different but to be honest i dont understand what your even asking anymore because your now talking about another car and you say it goes off when u drive etc etc

the photo you attached “clearly” shows the airbag as OFF
Yep sorry have not been very clear

I used to have the Airbag OFF light on all the time when driving and with no passenger. Then when an adult was sitting the light went off.

Now, when driving I have no lights at all with or without passenger. Just when starting the car all lights are on and in 2 secs they go off

my car c63s coupe same as my friend´s ..

Hope its clerarer now

Many thanks!

Last edited by japamg; 02-06-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep sorry have not been very clear

I used to have the Airbag OFF light on all the time when driving and with no passenger. Then when an adult was sitting the light went off.

Now, when driving I have no lights at all with or without passenger. Just when starting the car all lights are on and in 2 secs they go off

my car c63s coupe same as my friend´s ..

Hope its clerarer now

Many thanks!
ok , so normal mod typically is, if no passenger or low weight in seat the light for airbag will lighten to show airbag is OFF. ( on center dashboard ) like in the pic.

if the seat is empty and your driving and that light is NOT illuminated , you have 1) either turned it off 2) have a faulty switch in the seat for the detection , those are my few cents worth of knowledge.

did you put anything heavy in the passenger seat ? etc ?
Old 02-06-2021, 09:26 AM

C63s
ok , so normal mod typically is, if no passenger or low weight in seat the light for airbag will lighten to show airbag is OFF. ( on center dashboard ) like in the pic.

if the seat is empty and your driving and that light is NOT illuminated , you have 1) either turned it off 2) have a faulty switch in the seat for the detection , those are my few cents worth of knowledge.

did you put anything heavy in the passenger seat ? etc ?
Ok, yes that make sense

How could it actually been turned off? Do not remember doing anything that could cause that.Also nothing heavy on passenger seat as I recall

My main worry is that passenger airbag is not working so not ready to deploy...

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2021, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, yes that make sense

How could it actually been turned off? Do not remember doing anything that could cause that.Also nothing heavy on passenger seat as I recall

My main worry is that passenger airbag is not working so not ready to deploy...

Thanks!
from mb,

now its possible the switch is in the glove box or someplace if yours has it.

Safety ranks among the core values of the Mercedes-Benz brand, which once again takes the lead by pioneering a host of innovative developments. One such development is the adaptive front-passenger airbag in the new C-Class.

The front passenger seat can be fitted with automatic child seat recognition, which dispenses with the existing transponder and instead works with a weight mat. This enables any child seat to be used. The airbag is automatically deactivated in this case and reactivated once the child seat has been removed. Mercedes-Benz is setting new standards with this system. Unlike systems offered by competitors, which often use a key switch to deactivate the airbag, this system prevents the user from operating the airbag incorrectly. Users often forget to manually activate the front passenger airbag when removing the child seat. In the event of an accident this can place adult occupants in considerable danger since the front passenger airbag and the seat belts work in tandem and can only achieve the necessary protective effect for adults by operating together. The system presented here prevents this by automatically activating the front passenger airbag when the child seat is removed.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:38 AM

C63s
from mb,

now its possible the switch is in the glove box or someplace if yours has it.

Safety ranks among the core values of the Mercedes-Benz brand, which once again takes the lead by pioneering a host of innovative developments. One such development is the adaptive front-passenger airbag in the new C-Class.

The front passenger seat can be fitted with automatic child seat recognition, which dispenses with the existing transponder and instead works with a weight mat. This enables any child seat to be used. The airbag is automatically deactivated in this case and reactivated once the child seat has been removed. Mercedes-Benz is setting new standards with this system. Unlike systems offered by competitors, which often use a key switch to deactivate the airbag, this system prevents the user from operating the airbag incorrectly. Users often forget to manually activate the front passenger airbag when removing the child seat. In the event of an accident this can place adult occupants in considerable danger since the front passenger airbag and the seat belts work in tandem and can only achieve the necessary protective effect for adults by operating together. The system presented here prevents this by automatically activating the front passenger airbag when the child seat is removed.
Ok will check

Many thanks for help and info!
Old 02-07-2021, 04:48 AM

C63s
Some info that maybe helpful

http://www.mersec.net/21/status_of_t...nt_airbag.html

Self-test of automatic front passenger front airbag shutoff

When the ignition is switched on, a self-test is performed during which the two PASSENGER AIR BAG ON and OFF indicator lamps light up simultaneously.

The status of the front passenger front airbag is displayed after the self-test:
  • PASSENGER AIR BAG ON lights up for 60 seconds, subsequently both indicator lamps are off (PASSENGER AIR BAG ON and OFF): the front passenger front airbag is able to deploy in the event of an accident.
  • PASSENGER AIR BAG OFF lights up continuously: the front passenger front airbag is disabled.It will then not be deployed in the event of an accident.
If the PASSENGER AIR BAG ON indicator lamp is off, only the PASSENGER AIR BAG OFF indicator lamp shows the status of the front passenger front airbag. The PASSENGER AIR BAG OFF indicator lamp may be lit continuously or be off.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,735 Likes on 2,497 Posts
2019 C63CS

Thanks

Your friend definitely needs to have this checked. The warning lamp to the right of the AIRBAG OFF light is the restraint system warning lamp. If that is lit, it indicates an issue with the restraining system. The airbag status and functions are all explained in the owner's manual with several consideration regarding child seats and stature of adults.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:33 PM

C63s
Originally Posted by superswiss
Your friend definitely needs to have this checked. The warning lamp to the right of the AIRBAG OFF light is the restraint system warning lamp. If that is lit, it indicates an issue with the restraining system. The airbag status and functions are all explained in the owner's manual with several consideration regarding child seats and stature of adults.

Thanks superwiss

So conclusion is all lights must be off when driving, no matter if an adult is seating on passenger seat or not

Lights just will lit for a moment when starting the car

Old 02-07-2021, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Thanks superwiss

So conclusion is all lights must be off when driving, no matter if an adult is seating on passenger seat or not

Lights just will lit for a moment when starting the car
No, that's not quite correct. The OFF should be lit if there is no adult sitting in the passenger seat and OFF should not be lit if there is an adult in the passenger seat. If OFF is lit, that means the passenger airbag won't deploy in case of a collision.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:38 PM

C63s
No, that's not quite correct. The OFF should be lit if there is no adult sitting in the passenger seat and OFF should not be lit if there is an adult in the passenger seat. If OFF is lit, that means the passenger airbag won't deploy in case of a collision.
Clear
Old 02-07-2021, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Clear
Also, consideration needs to be given to small stature adults like my wife who is a tiny Asian woman. At least some of my past cars had trouble deciding if she's an adult or a child . They recommend that if you have a small stature adult in the passenger seat and OFF is not lit, meaning the airbag will deploy that they move the seat as far back as possible to avoid potentially getting injured by the airbag explosion.
japamg (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 02:47 PM

C63s
Also, consideration needs to be given to small stature adults like my wife who is a tiny Asian woman. At least some of my past cars had trouble deciding if she's an adult or a child . They recommend that if you have a small stature adult in the passenger seat and OFF is not lit, meaning the airbag will deploy that they move the seat as far back as possible to avoid potentially getting injured by the airbag explosion.
Haha yep I read about that

In my case the strange thing is Airbag OFF light is always off, even without adult in the seat...

Thanks
Old 02-07-2021, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Haha yep I read about that

In my case the strange thing is Airbag OFF light is always off, even without adult in the seat...

Thanks
Sorry, I take back what I said above. I just checked it out in my car. I've never really paid close attention to this and the owner's manual is clearly confusing, but the way it works in your friend's car is correct. Those lights stay on if there is nobody in the passenger seat. I tried to buckle the passenger seat belt, but that doesn't make a difference and I didn't have anybody handy to play passenger, but I'm assuming the appropriate lights will go out once somebody actually sits in the passenger seat and buckles the seat belt. I'm pretty sure if an adult sits in my car then all the lights go off. I took a quick video of the startup sequence. There's one light that goes off after the self-check, but the remaining ones stay on if there is nobody in the seat.

japamg (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 05:00 PM

C63s
Sorry, I take back what I said above. I just checked it out in my car. I've never really paid close attention to this and the owner's manual is clearly confusing, but the way it works in your friend's car is correct. Those lights stay on if there is nobody in the passenger seat. I tried to buckle the passenger seat belt, but that doesn't make a difference and I didn't have anybody handy to play passenger, but I'm assuming the appropriate lights will go out once somebody actually sits in the passenger seat and buckles the seat belt. I'm pretty sure if an adult sits in my car then all the lights go off. I took a quick video of the startup sequence. There's one light that goes off after the self-check, but the remaining ones stay on if there is nobody in the seat.

https://youtu.be/39DcpO6Ba2g
Thanks for taking the time for this

Yes, I was pretty sure my car did the same start sequence, and Airbag OFF light stayed lit until someone sat in the seat.

The thing is now, after the start sequence, all lights go off all the time and with or without passenger seated.

I assume if something was wrong I would get a passenger airbag error on the display?
Old 02-07-2021, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I assume if something was wrong I would get a passenger airbag error on the display?
Not necessarily. If the weight sensor is malfunction it might just think somebody is sitting there when in fact nobody is. That's what appears to be happening in your car. I would definitely have it checked out, because if the OFF light goes out, it means the airbag will deploy in case of an accident.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:07 PM

C63s
Not necessarily. If the weight sensor is malfunction it might just think somebody is sitting there when in fact nobody is. That's what appears to be happening in your car. I would definitely have it checked out, because if the OFF light goes out, it means the airbag will deploy in case of an accident.
Yes, pretty sure is the weight sensor. But my main worry is airbag not deploying in case of accident...

Will have it checked though!
Old 02-08-2021, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Also, What year model is your car ?
Old 02-08-2021, 09:01 AM

C63s
Also, What year model is your car ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Passenger Airbag lights