C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active Lane Keep Assist Permanently Off But Still On?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 11:52 PM

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts
2010 BMW E63 M6 Coupe 2023 AMG C63s Coupe 2005 YZF-R1
Active Lane Keep Assist Permanently Off But Still On?

When I start up my car, I always disable Active Brake Assist and Attention Assist. When I first got the car, I disabled all the other Driver Assist features (Speed Assist, Lane Change Assist, and Active Blind Spot Assist). I was reading that by default, all Driver Assist features turn on every time he car is restarted. However those 3 features always remain checked Off whenever I start my car. Or at least that’s what it displays on the screen.

Even though Active Lane Change Assist remains in the Off position upon startup, it’s very much active and alive. It will routinely swerve my car back into my lane if I fail to signal while overtaking another car, which has resulted in a few close calls. It’ll also swerve me back into my lane if I exit the freeway without signaling.

Needless to say, i find it extremely annoying. I don’t get what the point of having an “Off” option if it always stays on? If I had the opportunity of building my car to spec, I definitely would’ve scratched this worthless $1700 option off the build sheet!

This is what I see upon every startup. 3 Driver Assist features are in the Off position.

The following users liked this post:
jj18 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 09:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
you are not going to solve you issue with your finger in the wind approach-------get a good factory or equal scan or live with it
Old 10-19-2021, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
you are not going to solve you issue with your finger in the wind approach-------get a good factory or equal scan or live with it
Believe me, the last thing I’m doing is twiddling my thumbs, or sticking my thumb in the wind for that matter hoping it fixes itself. It’s going to the dealer next week. I only posted about this issue in case someone else encountered the same problem and could helpfully chime in.

I was told by my SA it’s not normal for the lane assist to be in the off position by default as it has to be manually turned off every time the car is started. So it likely needs a Driver Assist software reset since it seems to be stuck in the On position at all times.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,851 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2019 C63CS
There are enough people changing lanes w/o indicating. Please don't be one of them. However, to your issue, you are confusing two different systems. You are confusing Active Lane Keeping Assist w/ Active Lane Changing Assist. They are two entirely different systems. The latter is what you turned off, and what it does if on is with DISTRONIC and Active Steering Assist active it will automatically change lanes by simply turning on your blinker. If the adjacent lane is free, it will change lanes for you.

Active Lane Keeping Assist on the other hand is controlled with the dedicated button to the left of the steering wheel and it stays off once you turn it off. It's on if the LED in the button is illuminated, otherwise it's off.

The buttons are a bit different in the PFL vs FL, and depend on the car's equipment, but the first two control the Active Steering Assist (first button) and Active Lane Keeping Assist (second button).

The following users liked this post:
djprov431 (10-21-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
There are enough people changing lanes w/o indicating. Please don't be one of them. However, to your issue, you are confusing two different systems. You are confusing Active Lane Keeping Assist w/ Active Lane Changing Assist. They are two entirely different systems. The latter is what you turned off, and what it does if on is with DISTRONIC and Active Steering Assist active it will automatically change lanes by simply turning on your blinker. If the adjacent lane is free, it will change lanes for you.

Active Lane Keeping Assist on the other hand is controlled with the dedicated button to the left of the steering wheel and it stays off once you turn it off. It's on if the LED in the button is illuminated, otherwise it's off.

The buttons are a bit different in the PFL vs FL, and depend on the car's equipment, but the first two control the Active Steering Assist (first button) and Active Lane Keeping Assist (second button).

Thanks superswiss! I literally just figured this out last night when I decided to look at the list of all the features under the Driver Assist package. I had no idea there are 2 lane assist features. I realized only Active Lane Changing Assist is controlled by the Vehicle settings on the screen. I found the other buttons to the left of the steering wheel and turned off Active Lane Keep Assist. I also turned off the Steering Assist button. Thankfully they stay off upon restart as well. It’s so much better now, I can finally drive the car without an AI nanny interfering. I get some folks like the Driver Assist options but it’s just not for me. I’ve never needed them in any of my cars and don’t need them in the C63.

As far as signaling, I do always signal in heavy traffic. If traffic is on the lighter side, then I’ll admit I don’t always signal. It’s the way I’ve always driven, and driving habits aren’t easy to change after 30+ years behind the wheel. Thankfully, I’ve never had an at-fault accident and zero traffic tickets in the past 17 of those 30 years. Knock on wood!
Old 10-21-2021, 06:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
2021 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by RavenM6
Thanks superswiss! I literally just figured this out last night when I decided to look at the list of all the features under the Driver Assist package. I had no idea there are 2 lane assist features. I realized only Active Lane Changing Assist is controlled by the Vehicle settings on the screen. I found the other buttons to the left of the steering wheel and turned off Active Lane Keep Assist. I also turned off the Steering Assist button. Thankfully they stay off upon restart as well. It’s so much better now, I can finally drive the car without an AI nanny interfering. I get some folks like the Driver Assist options but it’s just not for me. I’ve never needed them in any of my cars and don’t need them in the C63.

As far as signaling, I do always signal in heavy traffic. If traffic is on the lighter side, then I’ll admit I don’t always signal. It’s the way I’ve always driven, and driving habits aren’t easy to change after 30+ years behind the wheel. Thankfully, I’ve never had an at-fault accident and zero traffic tickets in the past 17 of those 30 years. Knock on wood!
Yep - you totally had it backwards - LOL. I will say, the Distronic features are bad *** -- however I rarely use lane keep assist for city or even country road driving - but absolutely on the highway. Additionally, the hands free / active steering (picture of the wheel) when used in conjunction with cruise control is an absolute killer feature when on the highway, but rather useless for other roads.
Old 04-14-2022, 11:54 PM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 C43, 1966 230SL, 2006 Jeep Rubicon
Reviving 6 month old thread. I'm looking at buying a particular 2017 C43 and it has the driver assist package with all the electronic nannies. Can these be completely disabled so the car can be appropriately driven on track or autocross without electronic intervention? I read in a GTS forum that they sometimes cover sensors with tape while on track to prevent Brake Assist from triggering. I found the below thread, but I'm not sure if these details will apply to a '17 C43. Thanks!
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...ke-assist.html

Last edited by GermanCarShow; 04-15-2022 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:10 PM

Bump for help with facts on disabling driver assist features for track and autocross use.
Old 04-16-2022, 10:02 AM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
To bad that they don't make a guide that one could read to find out how all of the systems in our cars work, they could call it an "Operator's Manual".
Old 04-16-2022, 12:17 PM

@JRHolt Hi. Thanks for the attitude/sarcasm, but I'm asking because I've read in these and other forums several times that some safety features are still active even though they are turned off. So, I was hoping people with on-track experience could comment on what really happens with a pre-FL C43.
Old 05-18-2022, 05:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by GermanCarShow
Reviving 6 month old thread. I'm looking at buying a particular 2017 C43 and it has the driver assist package with all the electronic nannies. Can these be completely disabled so the car can be appropriately driven on track or autocross without electronic intervention? I read in a GTS forum that they sometimes cover sensors with tape while on track to prevent Brake Assist from triggering. I found the below thread, but I'm not sure if these details will apply to a '17 C43. Thanks!
LAte reply.

I’ve done a driver’s day with MB where they were featuring all their safety systems and latest cars (really trying to get us to buy).

All the switchable items on your dash are that. You can set them as you prefer from the available list. What can not be fully disabled is the stability control system (ESP) - Not sure about your car but the ESP button on most cars will “reduce” the ESP but it is never fully off.

We drove sone C-Class cars on a skid pan in 3 configurations
1) ESP on (button on dash)
2) ESP off (button on dash)
3) ESP fully disabled by a technician.

It is an education as to how much the car is helping the driver. 1, 2 & 3 are very different with 3 making the car almost undriveable on a skid pan.
Old 05-18-2022, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the input! I can't wait to get my car on the track and to autocross.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by GermanCarShow
I’m not sure about the PFL, but in my FL all the driver assist nannies remain permanently off. Except active break assist and attention assist. Those 2 have to be turned off manually every time the car is restarted from the vehicle settings menu.