Sponsored by:

From c63 coupe to glc63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2021, 02:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
c63 Coupe, GLC63
From c63 coupe to glc63?

Has anyone made this transition , especially with the newer models ? What did you like/dislike about the glc compared to the c63 ? Does the current glc63 have sound particle filter as well ? I know the support for the glc is not as wide as the c63 community. I’m worried about losing some of the driving dynamic with the glc
Old 11-01-2021, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,944 Likes on 2,632 Posts
2019 C63CS
Sorry, can't really help you specifically with the transition. I'd personally never buy an SUV, unless it was specifically for towing or off-roading. You will most certainly lose some of the driving dynamics. The C63 is pure RWD, relatively low to the ground, wide track car that is happy to oversteer if you let it and a drift monster in the right setting. And while already heavy, it weights about 500 lbs less than the GLC, so there is really no comparison when it comes to driving dynamics. The GLC is a walrus in comparison. You can lower it to reduce some of the roll, but then you just have a compromised suspension. Things like the ESP are also setup more conservatively in the GLC to reduce the risk of rolling over, but it has straight line advantage due to AWD.

I mainly wanted to respond to the particulate filter. It's pretty much been confirmed at this point that US spec cars don't have the particulate filters. They have secondary cats as before. The EU spec cars have the particulate filters in place of the secondary cats. The particulate filters are not on the US build sheets, and even the quiet US spec GT BS doesn't have particulate filters as confirmed by a German tuner.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-01-2021 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2021, 03:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 86 Posts
2021 C63S Coupe
I'd say if you're going to go SUV, ya might consider swapping brands - Audi all wheel drive in the SQ5, Porsche Macan turbo etc. The GLC is way big...unless you need way big!
Old 11-01-2021, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by superswiss
Sorry, can't really help you specifically with the transition. I'd personally never buy an SUV.
Same here
Old 11-01-2021, 04:36 PM

Received 298 Likes on 214 Posts
AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by djprov431
I'd say if you're going to go SUV, ya might consider swapping brands - Audi all wheel drive in the SQ5, Porsche Macan turbo etc. The GLC is way big...unless you need way big!
I have a GLC63s and I have had 3 SQ5S's and have a regular Q5 and they are really close to the same size. The Macan is way smaller than both.

I love the GLC as do the 170+ people in our GLC car Club. Many of the guys track theirs and you would be surprised how well they do, it held the Nurburgring track record for it's class up until Audi cheated with a roll cage and race tires(7:42:253) and then the new Porsche Cayenne Coup took the top spot running a 7:38:925 to the GLC's 7:49:37 .

Old 11-01-2021, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg
I have a GLC63s and I have had 3 SQ5S's and have a regular Q5 and they are really close to the same size. The Macan is way smaller than both.

I love the GLC as do the 170+ people in our GLC car Club. Many of the guys track theirs and you would be surprised how well they do, it held the Nurburgring track record for it's class up until Audi cheated with a roll cage and race tires(7:42:253) and then the new Porsche Cayenne Coup took the top spot running a 7:38:925 to the GLC's 7:49:37 .
They are still SUVs. Let's be honest, driving dynamics is not what they are about. Raising the center of gravity and adding weight never improved driving dynamics. A lot of heavy engineering has to go into them. The suspensions for example have to be unpleasantly stiff to manage the weight and keep it from wallowing all over the place. Track times only tell half the story. Have you driven the Nurburgring yourself? I have, and it has several long straight to semi-straight sections where a car that can put down its power and has the grip can make up time lost in the corners. The climate in the Eifel Mountain region is also quite wet. It rains often and the track is often damp favoring AWD in sections such as the carousel where they can claw and brute force their way out of it. As fun as driving the Nurburgring is it also jades cars quite a bit for the road. Cars that go fast around the Nurburgring aren't particularly good on the public roads. A point of criticism that has been repeated many times.
Old 11-01-2021, 07:39 PM

c63 Coupe, GLC63
interesting points. I just want to make sure it's as fun as the c63 but the GLC utility is really appealing....also the price. It looks like new GLC 63 is going for the same price as some c63 that are 2-3 years old.... i know the market is crazy but... a brand new car vs a used one for that price is crazy.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 521 Likes on 353 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by Rubpau
interesting points. I just want to make sure it's as fun as the c63 but the GLC utility is really appealing....also the price. It looks like new GLC 63 is going for the same price as some c63 that are 2-3 years old.... i know the market is crazy but... a brand new car vs a used one for that price is crazy.
Don't do it. What the hell would you want a GLC for? Test drive one and compare it to your coupe mate GLC's are boats.

Hold onto that coupe, son.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
It won't be boring. At the end of the day it still has the same V8 and transmission, but for me the fundamentals just don't add up. Granted I have only driven a GLC 300 loaner, but everything feels wrong to the point that I'm not the least bit interested in owning a performance version of it. From the ugly boxy look to the seating position up high like a van to how much space it takes up in my garage, everything about it feels wrong. Every crosswind gust tries to blow it off the road, there's so much surface area. When I get into my C63, I'm sitting low down like the sports coupe it is, the interior feels like a cockpit with high shoulder line and I feel like part of the car vs feeling like I'm driving a van in the GLC. My senses get all confused. I don't like performance sedans and wagons much, either. The optics just don't work for me.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:55 PM

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
c63s
GLC63s Coupe is the only one I might consider vs C63. If I really needed a family hauler. Honestly it’s really not a comparison at all. GLC63 is just not as cool as a C63 which is why you can get a new one for the same price as 2-3 years older C63.
Same as a X3M sucks compared to M3.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:29 AM

c63 Coupe, GLC63
It won't be boring. At the end of the day it still has the same V8 and transmission, but for me the fundamentals just don't add up. Granted I have only driven a GLC 300 loaner, but everything feels wrong to the point that I'm not the least bit interested in owning a performance version of it. From the ugly boxy look to the seating position up high like a van to how much space it takes up in my garage, everything about it feels wrong. Every crosswind gust tries to blow it off the road, there's so much surface area. When I get into my C63, I'm sitting low down like the sports coupe it is, the interior feels like a cockpit with high shoulder line and I feel like part of the car vs feeling like I'm driving a van in the GLC. My senses get all confused. I don't like performance sedans and wagons much, either. The optics just don't work for me.

WHat do you think of the GLC coupe look vs the boxier version?
Old 11-02-2021, 10:33 AM

c63 Coupe, GLC63
Originally Posted by mbny1234
GLC63s Coupe is the only one I might consider vs C63. If I really needed a family hauler. Honestly it’s really not a comparison at all. GLC63 is just not as cool as a C63 which is why you can get a new one for the same price as 2-3 years older C63.
Same as a X3M sucks compared to M3.
I know. Paying a high price/MSRP for a used c63 with almost 10,000 miles and having it the same price as a new GLC63 is a hard pill to swallow. New c63 coupes are non-existent without a huge markup..some over 100k+ there are some other good options in that range.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:36 PM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
Mine looks awesome....

http://imgur.com/RXz9Jct

https://imgur.com/RXz9Jct

Last edited by ParadigmDawg; 11-02-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:42 PM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
They are still SUVs. Let's be honest, driving dynamics is not what they are about. Raising the center of gravity and adding weight never improved driving dynamics. A lot of heavy engineering has to go into them. The suspensions for example have to be unpleasantly stiff to manage the weight and keep it from wallowing all over the place. Track times only tell half the story. Have you driven the Nurburgring yourself? I have, and it has several long straight to semi-straight sections where a car that can put down its power and has the grip can make up time lost in the corners. The climate in the Eifel Mountain region is also quite wet. It rains often and the track is often damp favoring AWD in sections such as the carousel where they can claw and brute force their way out of it. As fun as driving the Nurburgring is it also jades cars quite a bit for the road. Cars that go fast around the Nurburgring aren't particularly good on the public roads. A point of criticism that has been repeated many times.
I only go straight and max of 1/4 mile. I drove Pro-Mod and Outlaw Street drag cars professionally for years. I have zero interest in turning, much less going to a track.

The GLC is a very fun SUV and will eat the C63 in what is important to me.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Honestly, they look worse, IMHO, and make even less sense to me as the rear headroom and cargo space is compromised. And a coupe has 2-doors, so please can we stop calling them coupes?
Old 11-02-2021, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I only go straight and max of 1/4 mile. I drove Pro-Mod and Outlaw Street drag cars professionally for years. I have zero interest in turning, much less going to a track.

The GLC is a very fun SUV and will eat the C63 in what is important to me.
I think you are defending the GLC in the wrong section, then. OP asked about driving dynamics. Driving in a straight line is not interesting. A real race includes turns, and not just left turns, either.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:50 PM

AMG GLC 63s Coupe
I think you are defending the GLC in the wrong section, then. OP asked about driving dynamics. Driving in a straight line is not interesting. A real race includes turns, and not just left turns, either.
You are talking pretty big for someone who has never driven an AMG63s version of the GLC....

I showed the numbers on what the GLC will do as far as driving dynamics. Show me what a stock C63s will to at the Ring....
Old 11-02-2021, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
You are talking pretty big for someone who has never driven an AMG63s version of the GLC....

I showed the numbers on what the GLC will do as far as driving dynamics. Show me what a stock C63s will to at the Ring....
You can google them, they are publicly available, but as I said, they only tell half the story. I personally don't care about track times, 0-60, 1/4 etc. These are street cars, and it's about how they feel on a canyon road for example. Things like the front wheels not having to do two things at the same time, so the steering feedback and response is much better, is what matters to me. If I wanted to race, or track regularly, I'd probably be in a GT BS, which blows away both of these cars.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-02-2021 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts
2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
At one time I was looking at the GLC63S, the Stelvio and the Macan. Bought the '18 Macan Turbo new. No regrets at 42.5k miles. there were two reasons I shied away from the Benz and the Alfa. The Benz? Racing seats were way too hard for long drives. Also, I know it's a nit. But, I really dislike the fact that the rear bumpers are in that flat black plastic. It really detracts from what it could look like. And it 'seems' to sit too high giving the impression of being top-heavy. The Alfa? Ah, no...