C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice about (JB4 Performance Tuner)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 W205 C63
Need advice about (JB4 Performance Tuner)

Hello mates this is my first post but I've been lurking around for a year since I bought my 2016 C63

I've been looking around for a decent tune that is not overpriced and I stumbled upon this one: https://burgertuning.com/products/mercedes_benz_amg_c63_e63_jb4?variant=180101470946 43​​​​
I've seen a few youtube videos that say good things about it, but I can never trust youtube videos cuz they could just be sponsored...

To make things simple I'm gonna split my questions into a few points and hopefully the homies will help me out.
1. Has anyone bought this product and used it before?
2. Can a noob install this by himself without having to visit a shop to install it and test it out? (Dynos and such)
3. Is this too good to be true?
4. I don't live in the US so will I have problems regarding this?

Main reason this caught my eyes is because the price is too good, the installation process seems simple and it can be controlled with my phone so I can turn it off at any moment.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Omave; 04-30-2022 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 12:02 AM

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts
W205 C63 AMG Coupe
I used the JB4 with my N54 335i BMW years ago and it worked great. Installation was pretty simple on my Bimmer but I've heard it's more of a pain with the C63. There have been posts from people who have used it on this forum so you should find some more info if you do a search.

As for support, they have their own forum and were really responsive back when I used it, so you not being in the USA shouldn't be an issue. They also rolled out updates to the tunes with some regularity, although I don't know if they still do as often since they've expanded beyond just BMW tuning and into many more platforms.

Last edited by SJGetsome; 05-01-2022 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2022, 09:54 AM

2016 W205 C63
Originally Posted by SJGetsome
I used the JB4 with my N54 335i BMW years ago and it worked great. Installation was pretty simple on my Bimmer but I've heard it's more of a pain with the C63. There have been posts from people who have used it on this forum so you should find some more info if you do a search.

As for support, they their own forum and were really responsive back when I used it, so you not being in the USA shouldn't be an issue. They also rolled out updates to the tunes with some regularity, although I don't know if they still do as often since they've expanded beyond just BMW tuning and into many more platforms.
Cheers! I'll make sure to look around like you suggested, thanks mate.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:17 AM
sno

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
EQE 350+, EQS 450+, AMG C63
I currently have it in my 19 C63 I like it because it is not a traditional tune and does not require updating the ECU. It is a total PIA to install and it is not something that I would say you can just remove at the drop of a hat if you have to take the car to the dealership. You can disconnect it from the port and no one will know it is there. Comes with several maps each increases the boost. Customer support is what I would rate as barely standard... Yes they have a forum but you cant really register because once you do you never get the confirmation email to enable the account and emailing the support team is about as useful as ***** on a bull... They do respond but they take their sweet time. Like I said I like it, serves my purpose, and may be sometime in the future once the warranty is over I will get a proper tune, maybe.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:33 AM

2016 W205 C63
Originally Posted by sno
I currently have it in my 19 C63 I like it because it is not a traditional tune and does not require updating the ECU. It is a total PIA to install and it is not something that I would say you can just remove at the drop of a hat if you have to take the car to the dealership. You can disconnect it from the port and no one will know it is there. Comes with several maps each increases the boost. Customer support is what I would rate as barely standard... Yes they have a forum but you cant really register because once you do you never get the confirmation email to enable the account and emailing the support team is about as useful as ***** on a bull... They do respond but they take their sweet time. Like I said I like it, serves my purpose, and may be sometime in the future once the warranty is over I will get a proper tune, maybe.
Mate thank you so much for this lovely feedback, I'm 99% sure I'm gonna order it in the next couple days...

However I have another question regarding your choice of tune in regards to your warranty... Do you think I should look for a proper tune instead since my car is out of warranty? Note that where I live there is barely any tuning shops that know what they're doing, especially on an AMG.

And is the difference that big compared to JB4?

Thanks again mate.
Old 05-02-2022, 08:52 AM
sno

Originally Posted by Omave
Mate thank you so much for this lovely feedback, I'm 99% sure I'm gonna order it in the next couple days...

However I have another question regarding your choice of tune in regards to your warranty... Do you think I should look for a proper tune instead since my car is out of warranty? Note that where I live there is barely any tuning shops that know what they're doing, especially on an AMG.

And is the difference that big compared to JB4?

Thanks again mate.

I would say depends on what your goal is... that will drive your decision. You want a lot more HP and you plan to change your DP's or even turbos in the future then a traditional tune is the only way to achieve those goals. If your just looking to bump it up a tad bit and import the power somewhat then the JB4 is perfect.

There are a lot of tuners these days that do remote tunes... The thing is a tune done on a dyno is IMHO the best way to go...

Old 05-02-2022, 09:46 AM

2016 W205 C63
Cheers man.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:29 PM

c63
i'm the youtuber. in map 3 i made 70whp over stock . i made 440whp stock and 512whp on map 3
Old 05-02-2022, 09:46 PM

2016 W205 C63
Originally Posted by Boost in motion
i'm the youtuber. in map 3 i made 70whp over stock . i made 440whp stock and 512whp on map 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxG1...=BoostInMotion
This looks good my man, I'll give it a watch tonight
Old 05-04-2022, 05:59 PM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
Originally Posted by sno
I would say depends on what your goal is... that will drive your decision. You want a lot more HP and you plan to change your DP's or even turbos in the future then a traditional tune is the only way to achieve those goals. If your just looking to bump it up a tad bit and import the power somewhat then the JB4 is perfect.

There are a lot of tuners these days that do remote tunes... The thing is a tune done on a dyno is IMHO the best way to go...
Always true that a custom tune on a resistance dyno maximizes each vehicle. The good thing with JB4 is it allows you to chhose: use the canned tunes 1-5, or do a custom designed map 6, or the JB4 can integrate alongside a flash tune to give you more adjustability, jb4 safety features, etc. than just the flash.

Originally Posted by Boost in motion
i'm the youtuber. in map 3 i made 70whp over stock . i made 440whp stock and 512whp on map 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxG1...=BoostInMotion
Seemed like there may have been more power there if (as it appears) you were not running ethanol mix for maps 3-5?
The following users liked this post:
sno (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 01:29 PM

2020 C63 Coupe
I just installed my JB4 on my '20 C63 and it definitely pulls much harder. I had some issues at first on my end (installed wrong firmware) but Terry from BMS quickly helped me resolve the issue. I currently have it on Map 3 on an E25 blend and it pulls much harder than stock. However, it is not close to my friend's PTG tune. If you plan on saving your warranty definitely go for it, but if you don't mind then definitely get a proper tune for a better experience.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:34 AM
sno

Originally Posted by shuynh33
I just installed my JB4 on my '20 C63 and it definitely pulls much harder. I had some issues at first on my end (installed wrong firmware) but Terry from BMS quickly helped me resolve the issue. I currently have it on Map 3 on an E25 blend and it pulls much harder than stock. However, it is not close to my friend's PTG tune. If you plan on saving your warranty definitely go for it, but if you don't mind then definitely get a proper tune for a better experience.

did you get the message that some Mercedes me options may not be available on the dash? There is a firmware update that corrects it but I still get it with the update.
Old 05-06-2022, 02:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W205 C63
I had it on map3 and did e30 blend and I kept getting boost cutout and low pressure faults. Went down to map2 and back to 93 and it runs ok; it doesnt seem to be consistent. I was excited about it when it came out but now I'm just going to take it out and get a proper tune. To me, stock map feels better than even map2, but no dyno's.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:37 PM

2020 C63 Coupe
The Mercedes me message still appears, I was having other issues. The message doesn't bother me though, it's just one click to remove it.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C63s AMG and 2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Thanks for this thread. I just bought a 2019 C63S coupe and I've been looking at the JB4 also, but this is my daily driver and it sounds like this tune has some issues and inconsistencies that I don't want to deal with. I have had the Cobb Accesport on my porsche macan turbo, and a few other previous cars and it had a couple minor kinks, but overall it was the perfect solution for my needs. Really wish there was a plug and play OBD2 option for tuning the c63!

But I just read on DME's website that their tuning can easily be switched back to stock, plus it sounds just as simple to install (this must be new, bc other threads mentioned DME came to install the tune, but their site now says that they ship you a handheld which you use to install the map).. so I'm wondering why I should still consider the JB4? Yeah, DME is twice the price, but we're still only talking 2k instead of 1k.. it's not a huge investment, especially considering what we spent to buy our cars.

Anyone have feedback on the DME tune? Or others? (I have searched the forum but most thread are dated and the tunes seem to have progressed).

Here's the link to the DME tune:
https://dmetuning.com/products/mercedes-c63s-2019
Old 07-06-2022, 08:17 AM
sno

I love my JB4 and with the BT option easy map changes from my phone...
Old 07-06-2022, 07:52 PM
SPONSOR

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
AMGs :)
Originally Posted by Gkg434
Thanks for this thread. I just bought a 2019 C63S coupe and I've been looking at the JB4 also, but this is my daily driver and it sounds like this tune has some issues and inconsistencies that I don't want to deal with. I have had the Cobb Accesport on my porsche macan turbo, and a few other previous cars and it had a couple minor kinks, but overall it was the perfect solution for my needs. Really wish there was a plug and play OBD2 option for tuning the c63!

But I just read on DME's website that their tuning can easily be switched back to stock, plus it sounds just as simple to install (this must be new, bc other threads mentioned DME came to install the tune, but their site now says that they ship you a handheld which you use to install the map).. so I'm wondering why I should still consider the JB4? Yeah, DME is twice the price, but we're still only talking 2k instead of 1k.. it's not a huge investment, especially considering what we spent to buy our cars.

Anyone have feedback on the DME tune? Or others? (I have searched the forum but most thread are dated and the tunes seem to have progressed).

Here's the link to the DME tune:
https://dmetuning.com/products/mercedes-c63s-2019
Have had the JB4 and it can make a difference, but main issue we found is torque limiting and inconsistency. Tried a RaceChip also, JB4 is better than that for sure!
A good tune, preferably with a gearbox tune is a massive improvement over either. Shop around. Check our remote tunes out also. Done by Morendi, best in the business