C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to roll back an odometer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus
How hard is it to roll back an odometer?

Looking to purchase this 2018 C63s AMG from a private dealer. It has 20,000 km on it (In Canada). Went to check vehicle today and everything checks out. Tires are fairly new, clean interior, body is in perfect condition.

Price is $64,000. What are the chances the odometer was rolled back? Carfax was provided and nothing major was done just a defect here and there.

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mercedes...=100&modalXS=1
Old 05-04-2024, 05:34 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
C63s
Can't speak on rolling back an odometer. But saw your other post and my first thought was that 64k seems like a lot. I could be wrong as I've been out of the market for atleast 3 yrs, but I bought a 2016 3 yrs ago (same age then as this car is now) and I payed about 53k. Mine had 32k mi. Which is a alot more than this car, but idk if a 20k mile difference is worth over 10 grand to me. It's a personal decision either way, but the price seems high to me. Others chime in because like I said I haven't been looking around for a few yrs
Old 05-04-2024, 05:35 PM

Lexus
It's 64k Canadian dollars and 20,000 km not miles just to be clear ! thanks for the input
Old 05-05-2024, 01:23 PM

Received 385 Likes on 246 Posts
From the pics, the Alcantara steering wheel looks like it's either been expertly cleaned and/or the car has been carefully used ... a good indicator. Look at the outside seat "bolsters" (bottom and side) ... if excessively wrinkled, then may be higher use.

I see it has the performance exhaust system (a "must") and the surround camera (very nice to have). If you ask to see the build sheet for the vehicle, you can determine the complete set of options.

As these cars are getting hard to find, I'd be OK paying that for a low-mileage clean one (BTW, that's about 12.5K miles and about $48K USD).

Supposedly, it's non-trivial to undetectably alter mileage readings ... and it's a criminal offense so I doubt you need to worry about it. If it's a real concern, take it to a dealer and have them "advise" (and tell the person you're going to do that to see how they react).

When I purchased a used 2016 C63 S, I took 2 of them to a local/good indy shop and paid for an eval. It was worth it and their assessment proved to be valid. Again, if a seller balks at this, I'd walk away.

Also pay attention to the brakes (especially rotor wear ... see the wear divots) and tires as these are somewhat pricey items. Best street tires for this car are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (unless you can now get the newer 5S for this car).
Old 05-05-2024, 01:28 PM

Lexus
So I'll have another look but the seats look mint condition. As far as bringing the car to a MB dealer, he said the car cannot leave the dealership. However, I am welcomed to bring my own mechanic to check it out. Do you think it's possible to get a MB tech to come with me to check out the car?

As far as the tires, they have a lot of thread left and the rotors are good as well. Everything checks out but on the carfax only recalls have been done but no oil change (supposed to be one at 15,000 km from what MB advisor told me).

So youre saying its a high chance its not rolled back the odometer? Even if it is who is the lawsuit going to? the dealership?
Old 05-05-2024, 01:40 PM

Lexus
Originally Posted by user33
From the pics, the Alcantara steering wheel looks like it's either been expertly cleaned and/or the car has been carefully used ... a good indicator. Look at the outside seat "bolsters" (bottom and side) ... if excessively wrinkled, then may be higher use.

I see it has the performance exhaust system (a "must") and the surround camera (very nice to have). If you ask to see the build sheet for the vehicle, you can determine the complete set of options.

As these cars are getting hard to find, I'd be OK paying that for a low-mileage clean one (BTW, that's about 12.5K miles and about $48K USD).

Supposedly, it's non-trivial to undetectably alter mileage readings ... and it's a criminal offense so I doubt you need to worry about it. If it's a real concern, take it to a dealer and have them "advise" (and tell the person you're going to do that to see how they react).

When I purchased a used 2016 C63 S, I took 2 of them to a local/good indy shop and paid for an eval. It was worth it and their assessment proved to be valid. Again, if a seller balks at this, I'd walk away.

Also pay attention to the brakes (especially rotor wear ... see the wear divots) and tires as these are somewhat pricey items. Best street tires for this car are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (unless you can now get the newer 5S for this car).

here are pics it looks very mint condition

Old 05-05-2024, 05:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
C63s
Did not realize that price was in CAD. That makes wayyy more sense lol. Seems like a fair price tbh. I payed more for an equally old PFL...I did overpay a bit though which I'm aware of. Market in 2020 wasn't so great for buyers. Car is lightly used it seems, bring your mechanic and have them look underneath, see if the car looks excessively worn for a car with 20k km. Rolling back is something I've heard of but am not aware of as any kind of widespread issue.
Old 05-06-2024, 01:04 PM

Received 385 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by f1_play
... Do you think it's possible to get a MB tech to come with me to check out the car? ...
... but no oil change (supposed to be one at 15,000 km from what MB advisor told me). ...
So youre saying its a high chance its not rolled back the odometer? Even if it is who is the lawsuit going to? the dealership?
In some areas there are mobile units (not necessarily MBZ) that will come out to check a car ... ask Mr. Google about such in your area (and some MBZ dealers do offer mobile service units)

A delayed oil change is not good, especially the first one. Maybe the previous owner had it done somewhere other than a dealer? I assume the service indicator has been reset (i.e., it's not showing an overdue service when the car is fired up)?

If it's a dealer selling the car then you could immediately take it to a dealer and ask them to check the mileage legitimacy. If it was turned back, you'd have easy recourse with the dealer. Again, it all sounds highly unlikely.

The other option is to ask to get in touch with the previous owner and have a chat with that person and judge from there.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 568 Likes on 390 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Rolling back the ODO on this new of a car is very hard to do as the data is stored in so many different places and in different systems. I would not worry about that. I would have it thoroughly inspected though with attention on Brakes, Tires, Suspension components and any fluid leaks including the Rear Main Seal that seems to randomly happen with this motor. Looks to be a very nice example. 4L BiTurbo motor is a beast. I love mine.
Old 05-06-2024, 07:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,698 Likes on 2,295 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by superpop
Rolling back the ODO on this new of a car is very hard to do as the data is stored in so many different places and in different systems. I would not worry about that. I would have it thoroughly inspected though with attention on Brakes, Tires, Suspension components and any fluid leaks including the Rear Main Seal that seems to randomly happen with this motor. Looks to be a very nice example. 4L BiTurbo motor is a beast. I love mine.
Thankfully, RMS leak is less common on the C 63 opposed to an E 63 for some reason.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:33 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DashLynx.com
Exclamation

Originally Posted by superpop
In today's world, people don't roll back odometers like they used to. Now, they stick in odometer stoppers to prevent the mileage from going up while driving. Then, when you take them out, it looks like nothing happened in the car. Sadly, it's hard to trace, so you've got to really check the car to see how many miles it's got.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:24 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by DashLynx
In today's world, people don't roll back odometers like they used to. Now, they stick in odometer stoppers to prevent the mileage from going up while driving. Then, when you take them out, it looks like nothing happened in the car. Sadly, it's hard to trace, so you've got to really check the car to see how many miles it's got.
Wow, that is a scary world, I actually looked it up that you mentioned it out of curiosity, pretty scary stuff.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:15 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

DashLynx.com
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Wow, that is a scary world, I actually looked it up that you mentioned it out of curiosity, pretty scary stuff.
It's pretty simple to figure out if a car's got 20,000 miles or 120,000 miles. But it gets tricky telling if it's got 20,000 miles or 60,000 miles.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mercedes-Benz Vision EQS
In newer cars like the 2018 C63 S, the odometers are encrypted and store mileage info in several different electronic modules, not just in the dashboard.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

DashLynx.com
Originally Posted by Pierregirard
In newer cars like the 2018 C63 S, the odometers are encrypted and store mileage info in several different electronic modules, not just in the dashboard.
There's just one problem: those mileage blockers have been around forever. They stop the mileage from getting recorded in any of the car's systems—neither the ECM, nor the BCM, nor the ignition lock, nor the odometer.
The following users liked this post:
Pierregirard (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 12:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

It's pretty simple to figure out if a car's got 20,000 miles or 120,000 miles. But it gets tricky telling if it's got 20,000 miles or 60,000 miles.
True

There's just one problem: those mileage blockers have been around forever. They stop the mileage from getting recorded in any of the car's systems—neither the ECM, nor the BCM, nor the ignition lock, nor the odometer.
Yikes
Old 05-08-2024, 12:20 PM

Received 237 Likes on 178 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
No that it matters here...but, I can say that I understand that it is not that hard to roll back the odometer in a 1993 Pontiac Grand AM GT V6....just enough to get it back into factory warranty for a bit.....just a rumor I heards.....LOL ;-)

Odd note. If you rented a Grand AM from Enterprise the tires tend to be newer and fit right onto your personal Grand AM........or so I heard......
Old 05-08-2024, 12:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

DashLynx.com
Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar
No that it matters here...but, I can say that I understand that it is not that hard to roll back the odometer in a 1993 Pontiac Grand AM GT V6....just enough to get it back into factory warranty for a bit.....just a rumor I heards.....LOL ;-)

Odd note. If you rented a Grand AM from Enterprise the tires tend to be newer and fit right onto your personal Grand AM........or so I heard......
1993 is a long time ago
Old 05-08-2024, 12:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Expedition
Originally Posted by OldManAndHisCar

There were a lot of things you could do in '93 that you can't do now... Or so I heard... I was only 4 years old..
The following users liked this post:
OldManAndHisCar (05-08-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Expedition
I know the feeling. Came across this 2019 C63S with 7500 miles on it. Not a fan of the color but if that milage is real then its very tempting. Just makes me wonder what kind of issues its going to have just from sitting so long. It was built 2019 sold in Sept 2020 so it should still have factory warranty left on it if i'm not mistaken.

Pre-Owned 2019 Mercedes-Benz C-Class AMG® C 63 S Sedan in Long Beach #R0245A | Harbor Chevrolet

Last edited by jetiemann; 05-09-2024 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mercedes-Benz Vision EQS
Didn't know about that! But thanks for letting me know!
Old 05-09-2024, 12:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

DashLynx.com
Originally Posted by Pierregirard
Didn't know about that! But thanks for letting me know!
You're welcome