CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Lorinser kits cost? And are CL's worth upgrading despite new 2007 body styles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lorinser kits cost? And are CL's worth upgrading despite new 2007 body styles?

There are some pretty good deals on plain CL's and I wonder what the cost is to add on a full lorinser kit to look like this....

http://www.cd-autobody.com/images/pr.../images/03.jpg
http://www.cd-autobody.com/images/pr.../images/01.jpg

Do you think its better to just find a great deal on a basic CL and just add on the kit and lorinser wheels (maybe even fake ones?)?? Because I have been looking for a lorinser CL for a year now & the 2 I have found have over 50,000 miles on it. I just wonder if its even worth investing more money into a style that is going to change in 2007?

Last edited by GIRTHBOY; 09-23-2005 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:11 AM

NSX
Q: When is it time to change your car?
A: When you start seeing too many "customized" versions of the same thing you are driving.

These Losrinser kits are hideous. They look like the wings west stuff you put on tricked out Hondas. I mean What's with all the **** (Scoops Holes And Grates)? I am looking at the picture and counting 8 scoops. It looks ridiculous.

Don't do that to your CL. There are some tasteful kits, mainly being the AMG *factory* kit, the Kleemann kit, and a decent one by WALD without all the ****.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:57 PM

'03 CL600
It's always best to drive the newest.

Wait for the 2007.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:18 PM

I wont be able to afford the 2007 version. I am actually thinking of maybe getting a used 911 or 911 turbo since Porsche does not really change their styling much. So atleast they will still look stylish if I keep the car for another 5 years.

AMG is pretty standard and so common here in Cali.
But how much is the kleemann kit? Is it like Lars'?

Also, what do you think of this one.....

http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/pic...03102920PM.jpg

Any idea on the cost of the various lorinser kits and the kleemann kit?
Old 09-23-2005, 07:38 PM

Ferrrari 458 Lamborghini SL 570-4 Mercedes CLS63
I would have to wrestle you if you actually did that to a CL.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:46 PM

Who needs a kit...Just lower it with some wheels and your in style for a while

----> https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-cl65-amg-cl63-amg-c215-c216/117034-adjusted-front-ride-height-fresh-pics.html

I thought about doing the LARS look but it just doesnt seem right...these cars are great as is.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:38 PM

Proform, that does look pretty tight. Maybe your right. What do those rims run for? And how far did you lower the car? If you dont feel like posting can you email me at shastee@hotmail.com ? I know you may not want people copying your ride. But Im near the antelope valley.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:16 AM

2001 Lorinser Edition CL600 (SOLD)
The Lorinser F01 Body kit on your link will cost you between $15-$17K installed. Not worth it for the current CL body style IMO. I was lucky enough to buy my 600 almost 3 years ago WITH the kit and rims done, as that's the only way I would've bought it. That way, the seller took the depreciation hit on the kit. I leased mine, so all I have to do is turn in the keys with nothing out of pocket, and lucky me, that'll be in March, 2006, just in time to firmly evaluate the new S-class, CL, and other options before making a committment. Until then, I will enjoy the balance of my relationship with my CL. You'll be lucky to get 10% of the value of the kit when it comes time to sell AND you will limit your market; the majority of buyers want a clean STOCK car.

Furthermore, if I was in the market for Mercedes, I would NOT buy a model like the S-class or CL that is right on the cusp of a bodystyle change for the following reasons:

1) Huge depreciation hit because of demand for the new ones. You think that enough depreciation has already taken place? Think again; you'll be able to buy the current S-class and CLs all day for $15-25K in about 18 mos!

2) Unless you purchase an extended warranty, you're probably out of warranty and will have to go out of pocket big bucks for a car that isn't worth it.

3) The design is fast becoming dated, and soon you'll be looked at as the wannabe baller who had to have a Benz, but couldn't afford the top of the line which, as I stated in the thread on the new CL, is why I despise body style changes. But that's life.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by CLFREAK; 09-24-2005 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:29 AM

Those are some really good points! But I just wonder how many people will be buying the new CLs as they are really not that popular as it is. And do you think your comments of being outdated apply to purchasing a Porsche 911 turbo now? A new body style for the turbo is also coming in 2007. However, from what I have seen the change is not so dramatic as the CL. So it will still look "in style" so to say. What do you think?

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autoscon...F03-298160.htm
Old 09-24-2005, 06:10 AM

2001 Lorinser Edition CL600 (SOLD)
I think it's a plus that you don't see as many CLs on the road as opposed to it's closest relative, the S-class; it's not that there aren't as many people that want CLs or that there isn't a demand - it's the fact that there are less CLs made for which they earn the respect, admiration, and envy of all, including those who can afford the CL, but are unfortunately limited to going with a sedan because they have a family. Other than the recently-introduced Maybach series and the limited-production SLR, the flagship coupes in the Mercedes line-up have throughout history consistently held their status of being nothing short of EXCLUSIVE, even moreso than the SL series, which I think are the less serious, more popular relative, although even the SL cannot take this title away from the top-of-the-line coupe. After all, what do you see more of on the road?

As for the Porsche, you're right, there doesn't seem to be much difference in the current and '07 Porsche, however, I am not a fan of Porsches to begin with. Sorry. That's a different ride altogether. In general, however, I would apply the same "formula" I stated whenever a new body style is slated to makes its debut on the street within the next year; unless you can steal the current body style at an incredible price and aren't locked in with closed-end lease that won't allow you to break it without a huge penalty, go for it. I'm not an advocate of paying cash for any non-collector vehicle because it's just plain senseless to tie up a large chuck of cash in a rapidly depreciating asset that you could have working in something making you a good return, however, if you're getting the car for dealer wholesale way back of book (I used to wholesale cars myself), then it becomes like an investment, and paying cash would be best. Perhaps now would be a good time if you can find a motivated seller that just doesn't care and wants out of his current model because the new one is coming out; he just might let it go for dealer wholesaler. To give you an example, I know my 2001 CL600, which was approx. $130K new, then with the Lorinser kit and rims, it cost the former owner another $25-30K, so that's $155-$160K, no engine mods and stock interior. Sadly, I can't get more than about $55K retail for that car right now and a dealer wouldn't give me more than about $48K tops because it may sit on the frontline lot for a couple months. And because I'm stuck in a lease until next March, that is why I cannot sell it now, otherwise, I'd take about a $15,000 hit. Thank God I don't have to sell it and don't mind keeping and enjoying a little while longer.

You can at least be cool for a year driving the current one around town before the new one is seen anywhere, then you can off it without getting killed too badly on depreciation. Keyword: Steal!

Last edited by CLFREAK; 09-24-2005 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:01 PM

The car came with the wheels and lowering brackets. You can adjust the ride height so its up to you how low you go and only takes about 5 minutes per adjustment. My car is about 2" lower than stock. The wheels are 20" Maya's but they are no longer avialable. Wheels, Tires, Lowering and Tint your talking around $6,000.

My point is just get the ride height set with a set of nice wheels and you will have a one of a kind car. I parked next to stock CL the other day....the two were night and day.

I live in a fairly upscale town in California and still get comments almost daily.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:10 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by GIRTHBOY
I wont be able to afford the 2007 version. I am actually thinking of maybe getting a used 911 or 911 turbo since Porsche does not really change their styling much. So atleast they will still look stylish if I keep the car for another 5 years.

AMG is pretty standard and so common here in Cali.
But how much is the kleemann kit? Is it like Lars'?

Also, what do you think of this one.....

http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/pic...03102920PM.jpg

Any idea on the cost of the various lorinser kits and the kleemann kit?
Girthboy the Kleemann kit is not cheap. I do like the car stock, lowered, with some nice wheels. If you have the AMG kit, it will look great.

I too considered the 911 turbo. Its a different type of car. Much more sporty, much less luxurious. Is this your second car or your daily driver? As a second car, I would think about the turbo more. If its your daily driver, believe me you will appreciate the CL more. Unless you live in an area where you can go fast and carve up mountain roads, the CL is just a more comfortable, roomier, much more practical car.

The CL is a lot more understated than a 911. If you want to turn heads, and that is why you are considering a Lorinser kit or whatever else, you may be better off with the 911 Turbo or even a C4S (standard 911 is too common). But I have yet to run into one person that said "I don't really like the CL". Its a car that appeals to everyone, young and old... and many women have told me they felt a 911 is a "mid-life crisis" car. The word used most for the CL is "classy". I don't know... I love both cars. Just giving you some feedback.

Have you driven both?