CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Since you bought your CL, would it hard getting something less?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Since you bought your CL, would it hard getting something less?

Tell me this....does the CL spoil you guys? I want to sell mine this summer...but when thinking about new cars, it is like I can't consider something less than the CL (which is probably in the top 5 cars overall in the country in terms of price/luxury, etc.). It would be like I am taking a step down. I hope that doesn't sound stuck up....it is not meant that way. The only cars I have considered are the SL500, 645ci, SC430, SL55, and the 7 series. I just don't feel that is healthy for me at my age. I see an E class and I think of it as a boring plain car...when in reality it is a very nice car to 99.9% of the people and was to me as well before I got my CL. Again, maybe it is due to the luxury of the CL and not wanting anything less.

What cars do you guys think you may get after the CL?
Old 01-20-2006, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL600
i got my eye on a ferrari

im 29 so i got quite a bit of years ahead of me for fast cars.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:52 PM

NSX
This is a big dillema for me. I posted a thread on this before. No other car has its overall luxury, performance, safety, and dare I say it, reliability (for a semi-exotic car). Great dealer network, build quality. I don't know where else to go. Ferrari is too flashy for me. The CL is JUST RIGHT.

I drove a 6 series... just didn't have the luxury or space. I opted for a used 600 instead of a new 6.

I have considered the 911T, but its small and cramped. Aston Martin, but for what it costs, its a bit anemic, unreliable, with a very limited dealer network. Still, I must say these would be my only other two choices... the Aston just does it for me in terms of style. I love them. The 911 is a classic. But I gotta say, I am going to miss my CL big time. Maybe I will just keep buying CL's for the rest of my life.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:01 PM

2003 CL600
the 560sec was a car that always made me

drool as a kid. I remember telling my dad that i will buy THAT car when im old enough. Well, as it turned out, the 560sec is no longer and i am still driving my dream car.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:04 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
This is a big dillema for me. I posted a thread on this before. No other car has its overall luxury, performance, safety, and dare I say it, reliability (for a semi-exotic car). Great dealer network, build quality. I don't know where else to go. Ferrari is too flashy for me. The CL is JUST RIGHT.

I drove a 6 series... just didn't have the luxury or space. I opted for a used 600 instead of a new 6.

I have considered the 911T, but its small and cramped. Aston Martin, but for what it costs, its a bit anemic, unreliable, with a very limited dealer network. Still, I must say these would be my only other two choices... the Aston just does it for me in terms of style. I love them. The 911 is a classic. But I gotta say, I am going to miss my CL big time. Maybe I will just keep buying CL's for the rest of my life.
I'm on the "outside", looking in at your dilemma, wondering if it's time for me to get out of the S-Class and get into a CL. I have been driving the "S" since the mid 80's and I'm now beginning to pick options for the W221. Somehow, as wonderful as this car is, I am just not that excited about getting another S. I keep thinking if I get the "63" engine or I order every option in the book I'll be satisfied. The SL is gorgeous, but I like a larger car. Is the CL sufficiently different than the S, to restore that excitement in me ?
Old 01-21-2006, 03:07 AM

2003 CL 55 2003 SL55 2000 S500 DESIGNO, 1999 SL 500 Sport, 1997 S320
Kinda of a segway but I was having second thoughts about my new Cl600 until I got a close-up look at the 2007's on display at the Mercedes Championship on Maui earlier this month. We had just driven into Kapalua and as we were turning toward the Ritz and there was a neebie on a raised display at the corner. I instintly knew I had made the right decision...whew. I thought I was looking at the next Q45.

Wife and I took a short cruise today in our brillant silver baby and we kept remarking on what a great decision we'd made and we just couldn't image anything in its class that we'd appreciate as much. I told the wife the only step up we could take next time was an additional $150k and spring for the Vanquish.

Breeze
TOURMKR
Brillant Silver
19" wheels
Old 01-21-2006, 01:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
MB S550 now; S63, CL600, S430 previously
Similar to Giggalo, the 560 SEC was my dream car when I was a kid and I still get excited when I see one on the highway. Nonetheless, I'm really pleased to have the CL and can't see replacing it with any other luxury car currently on the market.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
560SEC...made famous in Miami Vice.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:06 PM

2006 ML500
When my lease is up, I'd really like to try out an E55....I'll need 4 doors since we are expecting an expanding family by then and I'm a horsepower fanatic. But, getting in an E-class after the CL almost feels like the difference of sitting in a Cadillac to a Chevy. Even seeing the E-class driving down the road...the front end styling just doesn't do it for me. Maybe a used S55 is in my future....

Yup, I guess I'm spoiled as hell too!
Old 01-22-2006, 12:29 PM

NSX
This body style CL class has been the best selling luxury coupe for MB and I read somewhere the best in many countries... and one reason is that it is uniquely different than the S class. The older CL was an S with two doors chopped off. It looked exactly the same front and rear. Compare that to the current CL's front versus the S class front. Its totally different.

But now the new upcoming 07/08 CL looks just like the S class again with 2 doors missing. The back certainly looks almost identical, the front is very similar... that is why it is uninspiring to me. Such a dissapointment in a car that will probably be excellent otherwise.

It just reminds of me of how I felt when Lexus replace my older generation SC coupe with that thing "inspired by the Riviera" as they call it. I call it ugly. Now they are coming to their sense and changing it again.

Maybe I should go put a deposit down on that NSX replacement... why is MB doing this to us?!! I hope I am wrong and the CL turns out to be much better looking than the spy photos.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:40 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
This body style CL class has been the best selling luxury coupe for MB and I read somewhere the best in many countries... and one reason is that it is uniquely different than the S class. The older CL was an S with two doors chopped off. It looked exactly the same front and rear. Compare that to the current CL's front versus the S class front. Its totally different.

But now the new upcoming 07/08 CL looks just like the S class again with 2 doors missing. The back certainly looks almost identical, the front is very similar... that is why it is uninspiring to me. Such a dissapointment in a car that will probably be excellent otherwise.

It just reminds of me of how I felt when Lexus replace my older generation SC coupe with that thing "inspired by the Riviera" as they call it. I call it ugly. Now they are coming to their sense and changing it again.

Maybe I should go put a deposit down on that NSX replacement... why is MB doing this to us?!! I hope I am wrong and the CL turns out to be much better looking than the spy photos.
Funny you say that, as I had just the opposite impression of the New CL after seeing the spy pictures. Although having the basic body of the S550, I thought that it looked very different than the upcoming CL. It looks much roiunder and even possibly too round. Maybe when they finally remove the body camo next month in Munich, we'll all have a better look. Although I have to tell you, I learned after seeing the new S in person, that I should maybe reserve judgements based upon pictures.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:51 PM

2000 S430, 2002 Range Rover HSE 1985 BMW 535 (Sold), 99 BMW 530 (R.I.P), 98 Mazda Millenia (R.I.P)
Count me in among the "spoiled" bunch, I guess. I currently push the S class, and prior to that pushed a Bimmer. I was just thinking about this same thing last week, that now I have gotten used to the MB/BMW luxury and all that comes with it, and being only 31 years old...i'd have a very hard time getting anything else that wasn't a Benz or BMW. The Porches and other coupes like that are out of the question because I'm 6ft 4". The current CL is pretty roomy, but I'm holding out for the new CL...maybe in 2008 or so.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:14 AM

2003 CL600
the new cl is nasty to me

Some cars will grow on you. "Things" like the current BMW 3,5,7 series basically destroyed any taste that tehy once had. I had the e36, e46 M3. and the E39 m5. I just went into the dealership and saw the new m5. i almost busted out laughing because it looks like an european rendition of the mitsubishi evolution with a v10.