CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Allocations starting for '03 CL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63
Allocations starting for '03 CL55

Dealer just got the CL55 allocation from MB and he called me to confirm specs / options. October build, November delivery. So other folks should start getting some calls soon from their dealers.

- A-Train

Last edited by A-Train; 08-30-2002 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2002, 02:20 AM

my cl600 is comign mid/late november
Old 09-01-2002, 08:02 AM

ML63
Wondering what your thoughts were on choosing the 6 over the 55.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have gotten a 55 over the 600 on the current model (pre-'03). I know it's a luxury coupe, and has ABC and Sport package (not really noticeable), but it's just a bit soft for my tastes. The 55 just feels more nimble and sporty all around, which is a good thing. Otherwise, the 600 may very well be one of the best cars I've driven, in terms of meeting its purpose.

For the '03, it was an easy decision because only the 55 gets the shift buttons. Given how much I use Touchtronic on the 600 now (very often, actually) and what I think of it (who is MB kidding?), and the given the 55's shift buttons, sport seats, and firmer setup, the 55 over 600 was an easy decision. The extra torque of the 12 is nice, no doubt, but doesn't come into play until very illegal speeds, so the torque diff is moot for me.

Good luck with yours. We're both fortunate to have such a great car coming our way.

- A-Train
Old 09-01-2002, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by A-Train
Wondering what your thoughts were on choosing the 6 over the 55.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have gotten a 55 over the 600 on the current model (pre-'03). I know it's a luxury coupe, and has ABC and Sport package (not really noticeable), but it's just a bit soft for my tastes. The 55 just feels more nimble and sporty all around, which is a good thing. Otherwise, the 600 may very well be one of the best cars I've driven, in terms of meeting its purpose.

For the '03, it was an easy decision because only the 55 gets the shift buttons. Given how much I use Touchtronic on the 600 now (very often, actually) and what I think of it (who is MB kidding?), and the given the 55's shift buttons, sport seats, and firmer setup, the 55 over 600 was an easy decision. The extra torque of the 12 is nice, no doubt, but doesn't come into play until very illegal speeds, so the torque diff is moot for me.

Good luck with yours. We're both fortunate to have such a great car coming our way.

- A-Train
i picked the 600 because the extra 4 cylinders makes a huge difference to me. ive drive the CL55 before and the engine felt so stressed after driving 12 cynlinder cars for 15 years.

More leather interior, and just more comfort in the CL600 over all does for me. i drive around a lot during the day and comforable seats are a necessity. I never use the "tiptronic" feature on my car so the shift buttons would be of no use.

which color are you going for? im getting black/charcoal with the sport package because i love the look of the CL55. The bodykit and wheels make a big improvement CL600 and CL500.

ill keep everyone updated on the status of the car
Old 09-01-2002, 07:48 PM

ML63
Reasoning makes sense for you in going with 12 over 55. You and I are exactly why MB makes both.

As for colors, asked dealer if could special order Brilliant Silver over Berry w/o production delay, will find out Tues. Otherwise, Silver over Black or Capri Blue over Stone, both with light wood everywhere. Disappointed in the aluminum package. It's just a plain slab, no nice texture or pattern. Even a very higher-up at MB said that he would never order it and would advise clients to choose something else. That says a lot. Staying away from doing black again and oyster interior, too. Look great; just want a change.

The AMG wheels on my sport package 600 are nice but time for something different. The optional 15-spokes for new CL's look okay -- the AMG's are clearly better. So, it's time for MAE wheels. Seen the MAE's in person on Audi A8 and E36 M3 and they are really crisp.

The MAE CL pics appear below; scroll down a bit, under the pic of the SL in Capri.

Your Black on Charcoal 600 will be stealthy nice.

- A-Train

Last edited by A-Train; 09-02-2002 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:38 AM

Originally posted by A-Train
Reasoning makes sense for you in going with 12 over 55. You and I are exactly why MB makes both.

As for colors, asked dealer if could special order Brilliant Silver over Berry w/o production delay, will find out Tues. Otherwise, Silver over Black or Capri Blue over Stone, both with light wood everywhere. Disappointed in the aluminum package. It's just a plain slab, no nice texture or pattern. Even a very higher-up at MB said that he would never order it and would advise clients to choose something else. That says a lot. Staying away from doing black again and oyster interior, too. Look great; just want a change.

The AMG wheels on my sport package 600 are nice but time for something different. The optional 15-spokes for new CL's look okay -- the AMG's are clearly better. So, it's time for MAE wheels. Seen the MAE's in person on Audi A8 and E36 M3 and they are really crisp.

Tried to upload here the MAE CL pics -- file too big, so to see them, go to http://www.mae-autodesign.de/homed.htm and click on the CL W215 link. Would get the wheels only.

Your Black on Charcoal 600 will be stealthy nice.

- A-Train
I cant wait for it to come! right now i have black opal and it looks pretty good but the other black CL's that ive seen look gorgueus. Capri blue looks too purple IMO. i saw one at the dealership and it looked beautiful but a little girly. silver or black would be perfect! but if you want a good in-between color, the Black opal is great as well! i forgot to take stone into consideration. i guess i should make another trip to the dealership

I actually like the sport package wheels and the bodykit. A couple friends of mine have CL55's and the bodykit makes it look pretty agressive

the one thing i love about the 600's is the low end torque that just wedges you back into your seat under heavy acceleration. didnt find any of that in the CL55
Old 09-02-2002, 07:54 AM

ML63
Orion Blue is the girly color you're thinking of.

The MBUSA site shows Orion when clicking on Capri button when building the CL. It is a technical error. Anyway, Silver on Black with light wood all over and MAE wheels is the way to go for me.

[edit: below, a pic of Capri Blue, and pics of CL's with the MAE wheels]

Actually, find that 600 lacks low end torque and found the 55 snappier off the line. Both have same peak torque of 391 lb/ft, but 55's is 1,000 rpm earlier and is 200 pounds lighter. But forget the #'s -- our seats of the pants react differently, no big deal. Besides, both cars will be getting lots more torque for '03, so problem solved.

Stone is a new interior replacing Java so, yes, check it out. Whichever black you go with, you'll be in good shape. Sometimes, black exteriors -- not all and depends on manufacturer -- are an offshoot of pure black and just don't get quite the depth and visual texture of a true black. But some black offshoots are really nice, too, certainly.

- A-Train

Last edited by A-Train; 09-02-2002 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-02-2002, 09:36 AM

ML63
Capri Blue pic

Here's Capri Blue (on an SL):
Old 09-02-2002, 09:40 AM

ML63
CL pic 1 with MAE wheels

CL pic 1 with MAE wheels
Old 09-02-2002, 09:41 AM

ML63
CL pic 2 with MAE wheels

CL pic 2 with MAE wheels
Old 09-02-2002, 04:42 PM

hm maybe i made a mistake with the torque comment

but when i went to the dealership and looked at the CL in capri blue in the daylight... it looked very purple. maybe the sticker on the window was wrong because i read it and it said capri blue

sorry not a big fan of the wheels
Old 09-04-2002, 05:29 PM

2003 CL55
The discussion of color combinations was been helpful, especially the comment about the aluminum trim. I had been considering brilliant silver/charcoal/aluminum, but will probably avoid it now. My CL 500 Sport is alabaster white/java/burl walnut, which I will also consider for my 03 CL55. The last combo I am considering is Capri Blue/stone/burl walnut. I have the 03 SL brochure, as ours should be built in Dec, and it seems that the CL's for 03 will have similar color combinations. Given the comments about the delivery schedule, I should expect a call from my dealer soon with order guide details.