CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

The real deal???...(member advice needed.)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ex 03 W215 now 08 e92 M3
The real deal???...(member advice needed.)

Hey everyone:

After racking my brain on what to do to my CL next I thought; why not take advantage of the CL's boulder-off a-cliff depreciation and move up to the 65?

As some of you are already aware; I am one of those guys who think that the 216 belongs on a Toyota lot ...and I still love the 215.

Found this:

Here's the link to see more info on it:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ice=&cardist=2

I talked to the salesman on this and he says it's flawless, was a Newport Beach car, off lease; originally purchased from fletcher and is "...as if no one has even sat in it inside..."

What do you guys think...where does that depreciation curve "level-off" and how much more air is to be let out of the tires on this? This price seems to be the lowest I've seen lately...The guy kinda laughed when I bluffed him and said that they were being had from the auctions in the high seventies-low eighties...

Your guys' thoughts???
Old 12-17-2006, 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I too was looking at that car. I don't think there really is a bottom on the V12's value but I think the new design will help our cause. I thought about getting a CL65 but for the cost of the Renntech upgrade it doesn't really make sense until the 65's really start dropping.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Originally Posted by OC kid
Your guys' thoughts???
Yes sir!
Old 12-17-2006, 03:27 PM

ex 03 W215 now 08 e92 M3
BlownV8:

So you don't think there is any "stabilization point" on the depreciation for this?

I imagine your sense of urgency is not as high; being you are in the company of 12 cylinders now, and like you said; it won't take much in add-ons to get you where you need to be, but...

I'm in a serious-need for some flat-out torque and speed!

HLG:

I know we've had a run-in on a similar topic before; what are your thoughts on the depreciation aspect of this particular car; is this a good buy, timing wise?

I know that they are always going to get cheaper, but I'm just trying to get in on it when it's more of a slope rather than a cliff in terms of depreciation.

Thank again guys,
OC kid
Old 12-17-2006, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
HLG:

I know we've had a run-in on a similar topic before; what are your thoughts on the depreciation aspect of this particular car; is this a good buy, timing wise?

I know that they are always going to get cheaper, but I'm just trying to get in on it when it's more of a slope rather than a cliff in terms of depreciation.
First off, I apologize for my criticism in our first run-in. Thinking back, I took comments harder than I should have. $90K for a CL65 in perfect condition is 50% off the original MSRP - that is a stunning rate of depreciation. In such a car, a few things are critical. All records must be present (service up to date, etc) and CPO warranty. Purchasing an extended warranty with coverage to 100K miles would be a good move. Although somewhat costly, it is always better to be safe than sorry.

As for timing and depreciation rates, I feel you should PM Vadim, who I believe is a sales rep at an MB dealership and a sponsor at this forum. I am sure his experience will be of help.

The CL65 with the M275 AMG V12 is a phenomal automobile. Although the 500 is more than enough for daily driving, the 65 is another league of performance. You will love the power! I know I wouldn't mind having that motor under my hood.

HLG
Old 12-17-2006, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I don't think there is a bottom in sight on our depreciation. However, if I had to put an estimate, I'd think the CL65 would bottom-out around $25,000 to $30,000 depending on mileage. At that point, the CL600 would be in the mid to high teens.

The only thing that could help us is if the new CL is a real POS and or is not widely accepted. Given the new CL looks like a cross between an Acura and Toyota, that's possible and may even be likely. Also, the giant leaps in power that can be had with just an ECU tune make the twin turbo CL's much likely to retain value than the previous normally aspirated motors.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
My guess would be the same; there will be no exact bottoming out value of the CL600 and CL65 but mods will probably get cheaper as tuning companies might want to capitalize the falling value by decreasing the retail prices of the available mods. Therefore, I think there will still be a considerable demand of the biturbo Cls.

Last edited by AdamG@NorCal; 12-17-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:38 PM

ex 03 W215 now 08 e92 M3
You out there Vadim???

HLG:

I appreciate the good words. I apologize for being a little rude back then as well. I know you know your stuff when it comes to the 12 so I thank you for the advice. I'll try to get a hold of this Vadim guy; I think I've seen posts from him before.

AdamG:

I agree with you and think that it is a given that there is no REAL bottom to the drop-I'm looking for the "leveling-off" point, if there is one...

Good info to keep in mind; on the mod angle, and this is why the forum is so cool, because help is all around from every angle...

Thank you in advance to everyone for any info...I still am left unsure on this.

More help???
Old 12-18-2006, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Exclamation

Yeah,

HLG is right, make sure you get a CPO. Some 65/600 AMG cars i seen have tranny issues and ended up having replacing the tranny or need to be rebuilt after 50,000 miles. Maybe its' just my luck?
Old 12-18-2006, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R230 SL63 | W220 S55
HLG:

I appreciate the good words. I apologize for being a little rude back then as well. I know you know your stuff when it comes to the 12 so I thank you for the advice. I'll try to get a hold of this Vadim guy; I think I've seen posts from him before.

AdamG:

I agree with you and think that it is a given that there is no REAL bottom to the drop-I'm looking for the "leveling-off" point, if there is one...

Good info to keep in mind; on the mod angle, and this is why the forum is so cool, because help is all around from every angle...

Thank you in advance to everyone for any info...I still am left unsure on this.

More help???
Thank you. Glad to be of help.

Here is a link to the video of the Top Gear test of the CL65:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tPKHZQ7pNxw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9BI4My-Sm...elated&search=
Old 12-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
OC Kid: The only way to get the CPO warranty is to buy the car from MB dealer. One can also purchase an aftermarket warranty from independent insurance companies, but it will be expensive and hard to find for CL65.

At very least have a local tech at the dealership do an inspection, if you are going to buy it. Run a CARFAX and and see if you get service records from Fletcher.

As far as price, it is about right for a private sale. Of course it will be lower next year and lower yet a year after.

The question is - A what point do you want to own this car? When it is almost new and has low miles or when it is out of warranty and starts needing things.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:48 PM

That CL65 in the autotrader went through Riverside Highline in October for $83,000
Old 12-24-2006, 11:49 PM

CL600 Sport
Originally Posted by jl88
That CL65 in the autotrader went through Riverside Highline in October for $83,000
jl88, That is REALLY good information to have. How do you get this kind of information?

OC Kid, I think the value of CL65s, and all 215 CLs for that matter, still have a long way to fall. That said, life is short; and if you can handle the depreciation and go in informed, don't worry about it and just enjoy it. I call shotgun when you get it! (we need another CL meeting).
Good luck!
Old 12-27-2006, 02:22 PM

ex 03 W215 now 08 e92 M3
What's up David M///!

We do need to have another CL meet...you want to set it up? New Location?

Let me know.

jl88: I also appreciate the information about the silver one from the Riverside auction...How did you get this info??

Also, I just found a HORIZON BLUE 65!!!! THIS is my dream car-----

9k mi. and with only a few mods it would be perfect...The dealer is asking 115k

This is too much I gotta get over there and see this thing!!!

-updates to follow...
Old 01-06-2007, 08:12 PM

S430
What's up David M///!

We do need to have another CL meet...you want to set it up? New Location?

Let me know.

jl88: I also appreciate the information about the silver one from the Riverside auction...How did you get this info??

Also, I just found a HORIZON BLUE 65!!!! THIS is my dream car-----

9k mi. and with only a few mods it would be perfect...The dealer is asking 115k

This is too much I gotta get over there and see this thing!!!

-updates to follow...
OC Kid, I am a new member but I'm in the So. Cal area too. If there is ever a meet I'd be interested in tagging along. I too have been going back and forth on what to do with my CL500. I faced the same exact problem when I had my W220. I paid around 60k from House of Imports back in 2002 for it, and when I traded it in to FletcherJones for my CL500 they only gave me 21k!! And all because of the new S-class, it was shocking. Now that the new CL is out I am faced with the same decisions, I have put many miles on my CL though which only hurts me.

And in your situation? I feel how you do about the bodystyle, I love the W220 vs. the S550. I have a friend who just got the CL550, I drove it extensively and like mine more. There is more of a sport feeling in my CL, I feel the new CL has a luxury feel to it. I would take a CL65 over a CL550 anyday. I lost 40k from what I paid on my W220 originally, but it was one of the greatest days buying my CL500. I still am completely happy with it, go for the CL65 and don't think twice about it.

Cheers

Last edited by tgood; 01-06-2007 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:23 PM

2003 CL500
do it, i would've done it as soon as i saw what the actual new

CL looked like at the dealership. i know the new solara has more gadgetry and high tech wows, i mean woes, but the one made by toyota is more reliable.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:45 PM

ex 03 W215 now 08 e92 M3
One Lucky Owner in Florida...

Thanks to everybody for all the advice.

According to the sales guy; the silver 65 at the top of this post went back to Highline a couple weeks ago... (however it's still in the auto-trader as of today.) After seeing the Horizon Blue one, I just can't settle for silver.

Then I found out that the Horizon Blue one sold this week for around 100 and is being shipped to Florida!!!!

Looks like I'm just gonna have to wait; and, by the time another one comes up in Horizon Blue I'll probably be in love with another vehicle all together anyway.

I'm kinda bummed.

OC kid