CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

03 Cl600 Vs.03 Cl55 Amg- Which Is Faster?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CL65
03 Cl600 Vs.03 Cl55 Amg- Which Is Faster?

the 02 cl55's 390tq aint cuttin it. planning on purchasing one of the 2 shortly. stock for stock which is faster in a straight line? hp is the same, looks like the 600 has 590tq compared to the 55's 515tq, but the 600 is heavier. want the most hp/tq for my $, btw both would be modded with a ecu upgrade(cl600) & pulleys/ecu(cl55).
Old 10-02-2007, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
CL600 is quicker/faster and is much faster than the CL55 with basic upgrades. It will take 5x the cash on a 55 to equal what the 600 will do with just an ECU tune.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
We have found that both 600 and 55 engines are huge fun to tune, but the 600 has probably has the tuning edge.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
my colleague owned both and he preferred the sportier feel of the 55.... theres more than differences in speed between the cars.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
What happens when you through in a 2005 CL65?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Cl 500
Originally Posted by xlr8tin
lol Ownage and Debt....... maybe lol

ALi
Old 01-18-2008, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by xlr8tin
A tuned 600 should win or at worst it should be even.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:17 PM

2004 CL600
Anyone want to weigh in on the best CL600 ECU upgrade?

Anyone want to weigh in on the best CL600 ECU upgrade? I am looking for the most reliable bang for the buck.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Renntech...they are the best and stand behind their work. Also, the factory warranty will remain in tact due to the Mercedes relationship with the Renntech people.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:27 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Originally Posted by Iceman
Renntech...they are the best and stand behind their work. Also, the factory warranty will remain in tact due to the Mercedes relationship with the Renntech people.
Um, you better double check that...MB will not cover certain things once ANY aftermarket part is added. I have a Renntech lowering module and headers and my MB service underwriter said that the warranty would not cover anything that the new parts would affect. My Eisenmann exhaust has now voided my exhaust warranty.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CL65
i here evotech is a good tuner. same gains as renntech, but for half the money. give adam a call.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:40 AM

E55
Originally Posted by Jay9722
Um, you better double check that...MB will not cover certain things once ANY aftermarket part is added. I have a Renntech lowering module and headers and my MB service underwriter said that the warranty would not cover anything that the new parts would affect. My Eisenmann exhaust has now voided my exhaust warranty.
Um, I did double check that. Go to the Renntech website and check to see who some of their installation/sales sites are. MB will continue to keep the vehicle under warranty and if there is breakage they decide not to cover due to the fault of the aftermarket Renntech component, MB will bill Renntech. We were talking about tuning here, not hard parts.

As far as the aftermarket exhaust voiding your exhaust warranty, I think that is pretty straightforward common sense. Just because one service writer says something does not make it the universal truth, but his point is well taken. I am assuming that your ABC and suspension warranty has been voided by the dealer based on what you have said (Renntech lowering module)???
Old 01-22-2008, 04:59 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Um, I did double check that. Go to the Renntech website and check to see who some of their installation/sales sites are. MB will continue to keep the vehicle under warranty and if there is breakage they decide not to cover due to the fault of the aftermarket Renntech component, MB will bill Renntech. We were talking about tuning here, not hard parts.

As far as the aftermarket exhaust voiding your exhaust warranty, I think that is pretty straightforward common sense. Just because one service writer says something does not make it the universal truth, but his point is well taken. I am assuming that your ABC and suspension warranty has been voided by the dealer based on what you have said (Renntech lowering module)???
That's correct. He said if I remove it prior to bringing it in I "should" be okay but if they can tell that something has been on the vehicle and could be responsible for an issue to another component I am on my own. This whole thing came up with me because I had a rattle in my cats but MB wouldn't replace them because they weren't "ready" to be covered under warraty. They finally replaced one under warranty so I decided to put on my Eisenmann...lo and behold the second cat goes. They wouldn't replace it because they couldn't say for sure if the new muffler contributed to its early demise at 35K miles.

I was just trying to ad a personal experience and a "be careful" to the thread in the hopes that it could help out.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB is not going to bill Renntech. They will bill you.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:11 PM

E55
Originally Posted by BlownV8
MB is not going to bill Renntech. They will bill you.
Do you believe that your statement above is fact or speculation? Any personal experience with this since you had Renntech tuning on your CL600?

I just got through researching all of the tuning companies out there and chose to go with Renntech for a couple of reasons. The first is that Renntech and my local dealers in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area all were adamant that my warranty would remain intact. I just picked my Renntech'd S600 up from the dealer this evening where they replaced the intercooler pump. The reason we all knew it was bad (including the dealer) was that the IAT's were high while the car was being dyno'd and tuned. The service advisor and the technician even looked at the dyno chart and were impressed with the gains and anxious to see how the car responds on the dyno with the new pump. My statement above regarding Renntech being billed for the warranty came directly from them, and I was told that this has happened in the past.

The second reason is that the local Renntech dealer is one of the largest in the country and provides dyno-support as well as free software upgrades should there be any. This level of support is not available from the other tuners that I spoke to. The customer service at Dyno Comp is second to none, and if I would have gone ahead and ordered a tune through one of the other mail-order companies I would have never known that my intercooler pump was bad (cost me 40 hp, 80 hp when it was run back-to-back!).

There are some things that are not worth cutting corners on and this is one of them. When you have an engine that would cost nearly $40K to replace, it is in your best interest to go with the proven company/product.

Last edited by Iceman; 01-22-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:19 AM

02ml500sport/maxima06-6speed
the 600 is going to be faster and it's easier to tune , but the 55 has sportier feeling as someone already said and it feels better
Old 01-23-2008, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do you believe that your statement above is fact or speculation? Any personal experience with this since you had Renntech tuning on your CL600?

I just got through researching all of the tuning companies out there and chose to go with Renntech for a couple of reasons. The first is that Renntech and my local dealers in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area all were adamant that my warranty would remain intact. I just picked my Renntech'd S600 up from the dealer this evening where they replaced the intercooler pump. The reason we all knew it was bad (including the dealer) was that the IAT's were high while the car was being dyno'd and tuned. The service advisor and the technician even looked at the dyno chart and were impressed with the gains and anxious to see how the car responds on the dyno with the new pump. My statement above regarding Renntech being billed for the warranty came directly from them, and I was told that this has happened in the past.

The second reason is that the local Renntech dealer is one of the largest in the country and provides dyno-support as well as free software upgrades should there be any. This level of support is not available from the other tuners that I spoke to. The customer service at Dyno Comp is second to none, and if I would have gone ahead and ordered a tune through one of the other mail-order companies I would have never known that my intercooler pump was bad (cost me 40 hp, 80 hp when it was run back-to-back!).

There are some things that are not worth cutting corners on and this is one of them. When you have an engine that would cost nearly $40K to replace, it is in your best interest to go with the proven company/product.
What they are doing is between the dealer and Renntech and not the norm. In fact, I'd bet, if MBUSA determind they were fixing damage caused by modifications, they could have their dealership franchise pulled.

Renntech is a third party to any transaction between you and the dealer or you and MBUSA. If MBUSA gets involved and determines that the ECU or modifications caused the failure, they will not honor your warranty nor will they bill Renntech for anything. It would be up to Renntech to step in a pay for your repairs after that dealer or you contacted them. I know Renntech is a very good company but paying for a new engine would be a stretch.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:58 PM

2004 CL600
ECU tuning for W215 biturbo CL600

Wow. Thank you for the avalanche of advice on this. Since we are on topic here, I am wondering how all the extra power makes it to the pavement since I can't keep my wheels from spinning now (1st, 2nd sometimes 3rd gear) when I nail the accellerator with the stock 493HP. In looking at the options, I noticed Renntech provides both the ECU tweaks as well as a modified transmission program. Is this designed to help get it down to the ground or merely protect the hard bits in the transmission from twisting too much with the increased torque? Do wider tires (I am currently running stock tires on 18" AMG look-alike five-split-spoke wheels) with their larger contact patch help much and how far can you take this excercise? It seems like no matter what I stuff into the rear wheel wells that the car is capable of turning a very expensive set of rubber into blue smoking goo.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wider tires with a softer compound will provide plenty of grip in the summer months. In the winter, there is really nothing that will help your traction. I've got a set of 19" rims that I'd let go with good tires 255/40/19's front and 295/30/19's rear for $1,000 shipped. The tires have about 50% tread in the rear and around 80% on the front.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Banned

German
Buy this car ....then buy some EvoTech ECU/TCU upgrade for about
$2k ..instead of paying $6k+ for RennTech ECU/TCU = BEAST

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ce=&cardist=10
Old 01-24-2008, 11:20 PM

E55
Originally Posted by BlownV8
What they are doing is between the dealer and Renntech and not the norm. In fact, I'd bet, if MBUSA determind they were fixing damage caused by modifications, they could have their dealership franchise pulled.

Renntech is a third party to any transaction between you and the dealer or you and MBUSA. If MBUSA gets involved and determines that the ECU or modifications caused the failure, they will not honor your warranty nor will they bill Renntech for anything. It would be up to Renntech to step in a pay for your repairs after that dealer or you contacted them. I know Renntech is a very good company but paying for a new engine would be a stretch.
Do you work for MBUSA? Do you work for Renntech? I see your logic here, but again, it is speculative logic, not fact. You and I will have to agree to disagree, especially since you no longer even own a TT Benz and will never have to worry about having any real experience with this.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do you work for MBUSA? Do you work for Renntech? I see your logic here, but again, it is speculative logic, not fact. You and I will have to agree to disagree, especially since you no longer even own a TT Benz and will never have to worry about having any real experience with this.
It's not speculative at all. If a Renntech part causes a failure, MBUSA is under no obligation to fix the damage nor would they bill Renntech. The only time a dealership would bill Renntech is if they had a special relationship or agreement beforehand to fix said damage. Renntech is an aftermarket tuner and are not part of MBUSA at all. If you don't believe me, call Renntech and talk to Bob Brady at 561-845-7888 .
Old 01-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Banned

German
its true, same with BMW and Dinan...read the fine print.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 Mercedes E63 S, Boring SUV, 2015 CLS63 AMR Stage 1 (traded), 2015 Audi S8 w/ APR stage 2 (sold)
My local MB dealer is Renntech authorized. They will even do the Renntech ECU/TCU upgrade at the dealer, but I'm not sure about the warranty issues. The dealer also has a few Renntech cars there.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:51 PM

Hey Andrew, which dealer do you go to if you don't mind me asking..?