CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Newbie to the forum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy a CL
Smile Newbie to the forum

Hello to everyone. I'm thinking of buying a CL. I've been a big fan of it for a long time. But haven't bought one yet due to people telling me horror story's about Benz. So I'm going straight to the horses mouth. I need to know from everyone who can help, how is the CL in reliability? Will it last me to 100k? I'm looking at an 02-up CL. I've seen some 02's with really low miles like 14k and 24k. I really like them just don't know what year is good and if it will last me without any mech. trouble. Please advise, I really need your help to decide, and please be as honest as you can. I don't want to drop 30 to 40k on a car that I'm going to regret. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes CL500
Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

If your budget allows, I would definitely recommend buying a CL with original factory's warranty with at least a year of remaining period. Aftermarket warranties are available for some CL models but from the words of my service adviser, even the best aftermarket warranty companies may not honor replacements with brand new parts and instead will resort to refurbished, used or even non-OEM parts.

I purchased my 00' CL with less than 50k on the clock. Despite the car passed initial inspection with flying colors, I was fortunate to have a year left on the original Starmark warranty: During the year after my purchase, I drove the car for less than 2k miles and went to dealership for repair no less than six times. Most of the repairs addressed vulnerable parts such as the ABC pump, hose, suspension, and other electrical components.

I love the CL and I believe it's one of the best looking cars on the road today. However, I would not buy one without an original warranty unless I have another daily driver. 100k miles shouldn't be a problem with the Mercedes motor, as it's well built. As long as you have the electrical, suspension and other weak spots repairs/fixed under warranty, you're good to go.

My Lexus has 240k miles and for long distant trips, I'd still prefer it over the CL. Not because it's more comfortable, but because it has less problems throughout the years I've owned it.

Enjoy your stay here.

Jon

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 01-27-2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:33 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Never again!

Originally Posted by CLfan
Hello to everyone. I'm thinking of buying a CL. I've been a big fan of it for a long time. But haven't bought one yet due to people telling me horror story's about Benz. So I'm going straight to the horses mouth. I need to know from everyone who can help, how is the CL in reliability? Will it last me to 100k? I'm looking at an 02-up CL. I've seen some 02's with really low miles like 14k and 24k. I really like them just don't know what year is good and if it will last me without any mech. trouble. Please advise, I really need your help to decide, and please be as honest as you can. I don't want to drop 30 to 40k on a car that I'm going to regret. Thanks in advance.
I would never buy another CL500 again but I would definitely get a 55 or 65AMG. There isn't enough power in the 500 and for the money you pay...you'll be dissappointed. There are many, many, many problems with the car but if you have warranty it's not so much a cost issue as it is an annoyance. Just make sure she isn't your daily driver. My 99 Saturn is more reliable but it isn't a Benz. Make sure you really do your homework on the car you decide on. MB can really detail a car to bring it back to "dealer lot" shape. Also verify mileage and all service history. Do not buy from a Carmax or other non MB dealer...unless you go to Mannheim or something and get a fantastic auction car. You better really love these cars and REALLY be sure you want it because there is soooo much that goes into ownership of this car other than just car washes and waxing...it's gotta be a passion cuz they will test you.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:58 PM

Looking to buy a CL
Thanks for all your input. I understand the maintenance issue with these cars. I've heard some crazy stories. But, I own a BMW 4.8is X5, Lexus LS430, Infiniti I35, and looking to add a CL. Reliability on my Lexus is perfect. My infiniti right up there with it, my Bimmer has had some miner B.S. issues but all taken care under warranty. So it seems to me that German cars need a little more "TLC" then Jap cars. Reason being I feel is they make them better. When it comes to reliability, I'd go with a Lexus. But there is just something about a German car. I swear they must put something in the air vents to hypnotize the people , either way, do you guy's feel that an AMG or 600 is better built then a 500? I've always felt that AMG's or 600's where just better built and would last longer. Any thoughts, comments. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2019 E63s AMG Sedan, 2021 Range Rover Autobiography "50", 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
Thanks for all your input. I understand the maintenance issue with these cars. I've heard some crazy stories. But, I own a BMW 4.8is X5, Lexus LS430, Infiniti I35, and looking to add a CL. Reliability on my Lexus is perfect. My infiniti right up there with it, my Bimmer has had some miner B.S. issues but all taken care under warranty. So it seems to me that German cars need a little more "TLC" then Jap cars. Reason being I feel is they make them better. When it comes to reliability, I'd go with a Lexus. But there is just something about a German car. I swear they must put something in the air vents to hypnotize the people , either way, do you guy's feel that an AMG or 600 is better built then a 500? I've always felt that AMG's or 600's where just better built and would last longer. Any thoughts, comments. Thanks.
I would recommend the 600 over the 500 any day. Besides the obvious power difference, the interior of the 600 is far nicer than the 500. My S500 has all the same features as my CL600, i.e. heated/cooled/massage seats, voice control, etc., but sitting in the 600 is a much more luxurious experience. It's like being ensconced in a soft leather, suede, and wood cocoon.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Welcome to the Forum. There are issues with the CL's so when you buy, be sure to get a warranty, preferably from MB. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:02 AM

2003 CL55 stage 4 Renntech and 2006 CLS55 AMG
I would buy a 600 that is still under warranty. The 500 are nice but in time you will want more power.

Welcome and enjoy your ride.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:35 PM

Looking to buy a CL
So what kind of issues does the CL have. Like for example, I can name a few things that will go wrong on the BMW V8's. So if someone wouldn't mind breaking it down as to what mech. or non mech. items will go bad. This will give me a piece of mind before I attempt to purchase one. Thanks again....
Old 01-29-2008, 12:38 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 Mercedes E63 S, Boring SUV, 2015 CLS63 AMR Stage 1 (traded), 2015 Audi S8 w/ APR stage 2 (sold)
You would be foolish to get a 2002 when you can get a 2003+ with the V12 twin turbo. 2003+ has over 100 more HP than the 2001-2002.

I love my CL600. I did the Renntech upgrade and my car is as fast as a C6 Z06. The CL600 is a beast with a simple ECU upgrade for a few thousand dollars. That's really all you need and you'll have 625HP and 745tq, which are crazy numbers for a Luxury Coupe. I've had Zero problems with my '04, which now has 41,000 miles.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Always purchase a CPO CL. I was at the dealership tuning the SLR, and i saw a 03 CL 600 had all sorts of suspension problems.

Adam
Old 01-29-2008, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In addition to ABC related problems, electronics are definitely a weak area. That is why you want a good warranty.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
But, I own a BMW 4.8is X5, Lexus LS430, Infiniti I35, and looking to add a CL. .

Great car, but in my opinion not a daily driver and since you already have a fleet of cars this may be a good buy for you taken the fact that you will not drive it everyday. Electrical problems, ABC (strut hoses), to name a few. good luck

Last edited by CakeDaddy; 01-29-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:56 AM

Looking to buy a CL
So where can I buy an aftermarket warranty? And how much if I can't buy one, does MB cost?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The only way to obtain a MB warranty is to purchase the car thru a MB dealer or from an individual where the car is already covered by MB. Others will chime in on after market warranties.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:16 PM

Looking to buy a CL
Wink

How's your CL 500 holding up? I notice it is an 02. I know about the abc and some electrical stuff, but over all, how is everything else? My Bimmer has had Electrical issues too, and some other unnecessary issues that have happened but other then that she is tough as nails. So if thats the case I'm not really worried about the CL. I think MB is a great product and don't forget, MB, BMW, Audi is not just for anybody. They are rich men's vehicles.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

How's your CL 500 holding up? I notice it is an 02. I know about the abc and some electrical stuff, but over all, how is everything else? My Bimmer has had Electrical issues too, and some other unnecessary issues that have happened but other then that she is tough as nails. So if thats the case I'm not really worried about the CL. I think MB is a great product and don't forget, MB, BMW, Audi is not just for anybody. They are rich men's vehicles.
I bought it in '04 and in the beginning I had several issues (non ABC) mainly involving electronics up until the regular factory warranty ran out. I now am protected under the MB Starmark but haven't had any problems since. This warranty runs out in Oct. 09. The car has about 29k miles on it and I do enjoy it. I'm not sure what I'll do when I am out of warranty. Good luck on whatever you decide.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:08 AM

Looking to buy a CL
I guess it really depends on luck. I mean I've asked a friend of a friend who has one and can swear that MB is bullet proof. Never any problems and it is his daily driver. He loves it more then his wife. LOL!!! He even drives it in the snow and has no trac issues. Either way I'm still looking for the right one. Thanks everyone for your input...
Old 02-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Guess I will throw in my .02 Cents

Mine is a 2000. First model Year. I bought mine in Feb 2004 used. It had 17K
miles and I went out and got an Extended Warranty. To 75K miles and Feb 09
Cost was about $ 3000.00

Car now has 66K miles. I drive it weekdays and when it rains. Which is rare here in Cali. It does OK in the snow.

Issues:
Every 20K miles. Brakes and Tires. Rotors up front at 40K.
ABC Pump. Warranty Covered.
Bubbles in the glass on door glass edges.
The dreaded CL Creek. Getting that fixed under warranty soon. A-Bushing
Trunk Pump. Warranty
Battery every year. Normal with these cars.
The car if it sits for more than a week will lose its charge. Also normal with these cars.

As a daily driver the car is great. Looks great and has enough power to get around. If I want to go fast I pull the SL55 out and off we go..

As others have said this car can hurt you financially if you dont have a warranty or the cash flow to maintain it.

I am overall satisfied. I paid $ 57K for mine and have driven it for 4 years and its residual value is about $ 25K or so right now. Overall its been very dependable and has only not started for me a couple times. Once at the airport after sitting for a week. When the ABC pump failed the impeller noise alerted me to its impending failure so I prevented the car from slamming and
only had it in for a couple days at the dealer.

As others have said. Some cars are cursed. if your getting a used one. Get the service record from your SA before you buy it. If its got a ton of electrical or ABC issues. I would pass.

I just had my Brake and Coolent flushed and changed and next is the tranny.

Going to keep it till the warranty kicks then maybe get a used E55 or something like another AMG.

CL`s are kind of rare. So If you get one. Enjoy !!
If you can afford it get the new CL63. Find a used one off lease.

Last edited by bltserv; 02-08-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W215/X164/W124
mine is 00 cl500 have just change my ABC at 70k for the first i drive it everyday and if i dont drive i just warm the it up great car. now i just have to do is a major tune up flush everything and change sparkplug and air filter. I also i have change the oil drain plug to magnet oil drain plug. right now is sitting on 71999k and make sure not to be cheap on parts. I have one more question to ask you guys i front brake is going out can i change the pads. The pad right now is setting on 4mm left on if i change now can i still use the same rotor

Last edited by wease206; 03-05-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bltserv
Guess I will throw in my .02 Cents

Mine is a 2000. First model Year. I bought mine in Feb 2004 used. It had 17K
miles and I went out and got an Extended Warranty. To 75K miles and Feb 09
Cost was about $ 3000.00

Car now has 66K miles. I drive it weekdays and when it rains. Which is rare here in Cali. It does OK in the snow.

Issues:
Every 20K miles. Brakes and Tires. Rotors up front at 40K.
ABC Pump. Warranty Covered.
Bubbles in the glass on door glass edges.
The dreaded CL Creek. Getting that fixed under warranty soon. A-Bushing
Trunk Pump. Warranty
Battery every year. Normal with these cars.
The car if it sits for more than a week will lose its charge. Also normal with these cars.

As a daily driver the car is great. Looks great and has enough power to get around. If I want to go fast I pull the SL55 out and off we go..

As others have said this car can hurt you financially if you dont have a warranty or the cash flow to maintain it.

I am overall satisfied. I paid $ 57K for mine and have driven it for 4 years and its residual value is about $ 25K or so right now. Overall its been very dependable and has only not started for me a couple times. Once at the airport after sitting for a week. When the ABC pump failed the impeller noise alerted me to its impending failure so I prevented the car from slamming and
only had it in for a couple days at the dealer.

As others have said. Some cars are cursed. if your getting a used one. Get the service record from your SA before you buy it. If its got a ton of electrical or ABC issues. I would pass.

I just had my Brake and Coolent flushed and changed and next is the tranny.

Going to keep it till the warranty kicks then maybe get a used E55 or something like another AMG.

CL`s are kind of rare. So If you get one. Enjoy !!
If you can afford it get the new CL63. Find a used one off lease.

The battery going dead after the car sits for a week and then having to replace it once a year is not normal. The fact that it dies after a week of sitting is why it has to be replace so often. Batteries' lives are shorten every time they are significantly discharged. Mine sits for over a month at times and it always fires right up. It sounds like your car has some type of battery drain.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wease206
mine is 00 cl500 have just change my ABC at 70k for the first i drive it everyday and if i dont drive i just warm the it up great car. now i just have to do is a major tune up flush everything and change sparkplug and air filter. I also i have change the oil drain plug to magnet oil drain plug. right now is sitting on 71999k and make sure not to be cheap on parts. I have one more question to ask you guys i front brake is going out can i change the pads. The pad right now is setting on 4mm left on if i change now can i still use the same rotor
Changing brake pads is quite simple I'm told. Here's a thread o the subject.

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-w215/146356-brake-squeeks-lot-should-i-change-yet.html
Old 03-20-2008, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
who offers a good extended warranty in CA if you cant get the MB warranty? Most online places dont sell warranties in CA