CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

One failure after another...IC Pump, ABC/PS Pump, Water Pump, Ignition Coils...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'08 CL600 with 152k km; '01 E430 4Matic with 428k km; '17 Porsche Cayenne with 103k km
One failure after another...IC Pump, ABC/PS Pump, Water Pump, Ignition Coils...

This was posted in the MB Tech Forum as well.

Within the past year, I believe that we spent close to $10,000 in repairs that weren't maintenance-related. This time around, the ABC/PS tandem pump is out, possibly pushing us back another $2400. I understand that mechanical things break over time, but with this 2004 CL600 (almost 70,000 miles on the clock), it's been one thing after another. Not even one week before, it was in the shop because the transverse hydraulic lines in the front ruptured with a huge oil puddle (had to tow the car). That was $1100. The water pump last summer was $1300 (had to tow the car) and the IC pump was another $1000 in the spring of last year. Ignition coils were $5000 (misfiring terribly).

My only question is has Mercedes fixed this tandem pump issue? If not, every single car made after mine with ABC will continue to have these problems, despite the alleged "quality improvements". Five to six years from now, we could very well see '07 and '08 Benzes having these same failures. I've read so many other stories with the same problem as me and it is plain sad to have a car that is in the shop half the time it is owned.

My mother loves Mercedes, so she'll trade this car in; as for me, if I am going to get another one, I'll opt for a model that DOESN'T have ABC.

Oh quality, where art thou?
Old 02-03-2010, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 CL55
That's how MB makes their money, the life expectancy on certain parts is plain old horrible. They should be ashamed of putting such quality items on these "high end cars". Sent you a PM for the pump as I have one from an 03 CL600.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
ya airmatic has it's share of problems but ABC is much worse (and chances of failure greater).

it's scary to hear this, especially on the 04+ CL's since those are the facelifted ones and you would think the stuff that plagued the 00 - 02 ones would be sorted out.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:52 PM

2004 W215 CL500(Sold), 2005 Cadillac CTS
This is why when I purchased my car, I picked up an extended warranty for it. I knew down the road problems like this would occur so didn't take the risk. Honestly, in my opinion if your buying one of these cars that doesn't have warranty get some sort of warranty for them. Parts for these cars arent cheap.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MyMBCL500
This is why when I purchased my car, I picked up an extended warranty for it. I knew down the road problems like this would occur so didn't take the risk. Honestly, in my opinion if your buying one of these cars that doesn't have warranty get some sort of warranty for them. Parts for these cars arent cheap.
i noticed you had an 07 cadillac escalade and it was a lemon. my friend had one too and he lemon lawed it as well. he had a lot of problems with it.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by gaazmon
i noticed you had an 07 cadillac escalade and it was a lemon. my friend had one too and he lemon lawed it as well. he had a lot of problems with it.
Overall it was a great car but it was the first year GM put a 6speed trans on that car. I had a lot of issues with the transmission. What issues was your friend having?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MyMBCL500
Overall it was a great car but it was the first year GM put a 6speed trans on that car. I had a lot of issues with the transmission. What issues was your friend having?
that was one of his major problems, the 6 speed with the manual feature. i remember twice on the hwy, the transmission wouldn't up shift, the revs just kept jumping and it was stuck in the current gear. also his airbag system always gave errors on the computer and they couldn't figure that one out as well. i think he also was having problems with the cylinder shutoff system. one time it wouldn't reactivate the engine to 8 cylinders and was stuck.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by gaazmon
that was one of his major problems, the 6 speed with the manual feature. i remember twice on the hwy, the transmission wouldn't up shift, the revs just kept jumping and it was stuck in the current gear. also his airbag system always gave errors on the computer and they couldn't figure that one out as well. i think he also was having problems with the cylinder shutoff system. one time it wouldn't reactivate the engine to 8 cylinders and was stuck.
Last I remember the '07 Escalade's didnt have the fuel flex bs. It would run on 8 cylinders the whole time. Maybe the newer models have it but Im pretty sure '07s didnt come with that option. I had the upshift problem on mine too, that along with a loud bang into gear and the car would launch forward. There awesome cars though.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:20 AM

mercedes benz cl600
hey man i feel you i have a 2001 cl600 and its been parked for months now, the costs are so high i dont even drive it. i will never again buy a used benz again!!! piece of sh@%. Thats y lexus has become the leader of luxury cars. Cuz they dont fall apart like these piece of sh%& car benz make. the car is so sensitive one wrong move costs you $2000. Im suprise that benz use to make jet back in the days. Im glad they got out of that business a long time ago cuz i would hate to be in that plane. We should all get together and sue the crap out of benz. these f&%$ guys are like blood sucking leaches, they sell you the car but make the money on the repairs and parts. im honestly considering to chop my car to pieces and sell the parts off one by one. just to pay off my debt. if your considering in buying a cl "DONT". P.S. I hate my car. if you didnt get it by now. if someone out there wants it name your price and it yours.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CL500 1992 300SE
Pissed because you bought a car you can't afford to maintain.

Don't you know, you've got to pay the cost, to be the Boss?

You're in the big leagues driving a 600 Benz son, so don't hate the players - just because you played - yourself!
Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM

2003 V12 CL600, a Supercharged 2002 Z06, an 89 Corvette and an 07 Jeep Wrangler
Originally Posted by Ifari

You're in the big leagues driving a 600 Benz son, so don't hate the players - just because you played - yourself!
Nicely said. It's only money :-)
Old 01-08-2011, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by armeng83
hey man i feel you i have a 2001 cl600 and its been parked for months now, the costs are so high i dont even drive it. i will never again buy a used benz again!!! piece of sh@%. Thats y lexus has become the leader of luxury cars. Cuz they dont fall apart like these piece of sh%& car benz make. the car is so sensitive one wrong move costs you $2000. Im suprise that benz use to make jet back in the days. Im glad they got out of that business a long time ago cuz i would hate to be in that plane. We should all get together and sue the crap out of benz. these f&%$ guys are like blood sucking leaches, they sell you the car but make the money on the repairs and parts. im honestly considering to chop my car to pieces and sell the parts off one by one. just to pay off my debt. if your considering in buying a cl "DONT". P.S. I hate my car. if you didnt get it by now. if someone out there wants it name your price and it yours.

LOL. Are you sure you own a CL600? From the sound of it your uneducated and I dont see how you managed to get into a car of this level...
Old 01-08-2011, 04:40 PM

mercedes benz cl600
Originally Posted by Ifari

what would you know about the big leagues, the look of it my rims cost more than your piece of S%$ car. I wouldn't drive your car if it was for free.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:43 PM

mercedes benz cl600
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
LOL. Are you sure you own a CL600? From the sound of it your uneducated and I dont see how you managed to get into a car of this level...
and you to you fake benz driver. Benz makes c class and the e class for losers like you who cant get the real ****. lmao.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CL500 1992 300SE
what would you know about the big leagues, the look of it my rims cost more than your piece of S%$ car. I wouldn't drive your car if it was for free.
Smart people don`t throw away old wine, for new wine, Skippy.

I bet your rims are worth more than your POS car and look real nice, parked up on your mama's driveway too.

You are seriously wrong about my W123 Skippy -- It RUNS, real nice!
So I can drive it -- anytime.

Great car for it`s age (probably older than you) and likely worth a lot more than your POS car, which I wouldn`t take for free anyhow; because you obviously can`t afford to maintain it and I already own 3 immaculate Mercedes-Benzes.
Picture me rollin`....
Old 01-10-2011, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 423 Likes on 349 Posts
MB’s
and you to you fake benz driver. Benz makes c class and the e class for losers like you who cant get the real ****. lmao.

From the sounds of it you cant afford much either.. ALL 3 OF MY MERCEDES WORK 100% Not to mention I own 4 other high end cars. But I wont go there...

Last edited by C280 Sport; 01-10-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
ABC known issue..

Not sure if anyone or MBUSA has posted this.. but read the following from the Active Body Control description post on wikipedia..

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Body_Control

Active Body Control, or ABC, is the Mercedes-Benz brand name used to describe fully-active suspension, that allows control of the vehicle body motions and therefore virtually eliminates body roll in many driving situations including cornering, accelerating, and braking.

In the ABC system, a computer detects body movement from sensors located throughout the vehicle, and controls the action of the active suspension with the use of hydraulic servomechanisms. The hydraulic pressure to the servos is supplied by a high pressure radial piston hydraulic pump. A total of 13 sensors continually monitor body movement and vehicle level and supply the ABC controller with new data every ten milliseconds. Four level sensors, one at each wheel measure the ride level of the vehicle, three accelerometers measure the vertical body acceleration, one acceleration sensor measures the longitudinal and one sensor the transverse body acceleration. At each hydraulic cylinder, a pressure sensor monitors the hydraulic pressure. As the ABC controller receives and processes data, it operates four hydraulic servos, each mounted in series on a spring strut, beside each wheel. Almost instantaneously, the servo regulated suspension generates counter forces to body lean, dive, and squat during various driving maneuvers. A suspension strut, consisting of a steel coil spring and a shock absorber are connected in parallel, as well as a hydraulically controlled adjusting cylinder, are located between the vehicle body and wheel. These components are prone to failure, hazardous when fail, but adjust the cylinder in the direction of the suspension strut, and change the suspension length. This creates a force which acts on the suspension and dampening of the vehicle in the frequency range up to five hertz.

========================================

Would MBUSA allow such a posting to be made public?