CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

DIY abc pipe fix.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cl600 biturbo 2005 w215
DIY abc pipe fix.

I've read a lot about leaking suspension and repairing them. I've got a leak from one of those problematic pipes. The one that runs under front crossmember left to right. Seeping at the joint between the joints of rubber and metal pipe.
I'm going to repair pipe not remove it. I'm hoping to cut the metal pipe near the rubber pipe and get new length made with 10mm compression fittings to clamp back on metal pipe.
I will lose some oil when I cut pipe . Can I repair pipe and just top up and start car ? Will I have to prime pump ? Do I have to bleed air out or is it self bleeding. I know when all is fixed I have to raise and lower car lots.
I'm just a but worried I could ruin the abc pump. Any advice please
Old 12-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Your plan will create more problems---do yourself a huge favor, do the job correctly and replace the faulty whatever!!
Old 12-16-2016, 01:08 PM

Cl600 biturbo 2005 w215
Ok point taken. I could order a new pipe . I admit it would be a better job . If I replace the complete pipe will it empty the pump of fluid? And will the pump then need bleeding?
Old 12-16-2016, 01:32 PM

Cl600 biturbo 2005 w215
This is the leaking pipe. Number 90
Old 12-16-2016, 06:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
which ever route you take----you must make sure that you have a second person watch that the ABC fluid level does not go below MIN, else you will foooked your pump.

Most folks in the know will have end plugs to attach to the open pipes and when the new pipe is installed one person is adding fluid while the other is opening\closing the applicable bleed plug.

There is a four page document (AR3250P0021N) that covers the fill and vent of the ABC system--if you are smart you will review the document before you even dream of attempting the work.

PS: remember this is a high pressure system so act accordingly!!
Old 12-16-2016, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Are you sure it's that one? The two pipes across the front of the subframe are not going to the right front strut, and they are the ones that usually leak. I just did this job on my car.

You will lose most of the fluid in the line, and while it's open the pump will leak out most of it's fluid as well.

To get mine to prime, I had to do as MB says and fill the bottle, then apply about 15psi of air pressure (stuck a blow-gun in a rag and into the dipstick port on the bottle) to force fluid into the pump at first. Once that was done it primed right up, I rodeo'd the car for a couple minutes since I had STAR to get all the air out, but some height cycles and then a good aggressive drive will get most of the air out. If you're only doing that line, the air won't spread too far. It also has a bleeder on it you could use to evacuate most of the air from that branch. If you're doing the main feeder line that usually leaks, which I had to do, it will pump air into the valve blocks and such but still bleeds out pretty easy.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:01 AM

Cl600 biturbo 2005 w215
It's looks like the pipe in the diagram . It's the pipe that in the middle has 4" small steel pipe with a fixing bracket on it. I'm going up get up tomorrow and have a really good look and see where it runs . Then order it. I will get some photos as well and post them up .
Old 12-27-2016, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
any more follow up? i can use more info. on this.
thanks
Old 12-27-2016, 05:37 PM

Cl600 biturbo 2005 w215
I've not got under the car yet to confirm which pipe is leaking as it's been too cold to lay outside under it. I haven't ordered any pipes yet as I want to be sure I order the correct one. I will take photos and post them when do get under the car
Old 12-28-2016, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Dave, your original plan will work fine, but you do have to take care.

I've done that job ten times, and I've just, today, started the eleventh.

I've only had two ABC leaks after fitting compression repair hoses:

1) I didn't fully tighten the OEM metal joint between the two sections of the infamous pressure feed hose that runs from the pump to the pressure regulator / accumulator.

2) The pressure sensor became slightly lose and started dripping.

I've never had a single compression joint fail on me, but you do have to take care. IN THEORY it's possible to repair in-situ, but I'd advise removing the pipe altogether. If you want to fit a new pipe assembly, that's fine, that's your choice. Just make sure you do fix it, as there's only one thing going to happen. Personally, I would repair every time.

Just remember to get the repair section the right length; don't install it with a twist or stretch; keep the inside of the pipes clean, and don't tighten the compression fitting at all until the installation is complete. New is more expensive, but repairing has more risk.

The pipe you indicated is on the other side of the valve block to the pump, so the pump will not drain. That is always preferable, as priming the pump is difficult but essential. Bleeding the rest of the system is not so critical - just drive it around and top up as necessary.

Nick
Old 12-28-2016, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
If it is that pipe, and you choose to repair or replace it, there are a few things you should know.

Like Nick said, the pump/tank will not drain when replacing that line, but you must have the car supported because that line holds the right front corner up. Once that corner is supported on jack stands, either bleed off the pressure at the valve near the wheel end, or disconnect it from the valve block first to bleed off the pressure in the line BEFORE removing it at the quick disconnect at the strut. There is a safety valve at the quick disconnect end and if you remove that first, it will be impossible to reconnect that end without bleeding the pressure from the strut. Guess how I know? Had to fabricate a tool to relieve that pressure.....
The following users liked this post:
Crissus (04-01-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 12:15 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 CL55
I've replaced that pipe (no. 90) on mine. It was fairly easy. I used a brand new one. Breaking it loose from the valve block was the hardest part. That was about 60k miles ago.
The following users liked this post:
Crissus (04-01-2017)