Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Coupes & Cabriolets > CL-Class (W215)
Is soft close a Standard option on 05 cl500 >

Is soft close a Standard option on 05 cl500

Notices
CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Old 08-29-2017, 12:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cl500

Hey Guys, I found an 05 the trunk needs the keys to open it and there is no soft close doors. This strikes me as a little fishy. My 03 had soft close doors and the trunk release in and out of the car worked. As well as the soft close doors. The seller tells me he's never had side close function on this car so he says it doesn't have that as an option. I think it's standard option on w215. Is there a direct relation to soft close doors not working and the trunk also not working?
Old 08-29-2017, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Soft close was a standard feature. Does the trunk have the power close feature?

Sounds like a issue with the Pneumatic Pump on those specific circuits. Also, could have a leak which would shut down those circuits.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:30 PM

Cl500
The trunk doesn't but it won't open unless you use the key.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 687 Likes on 572 Posts
2003 CL 600
Do the power door locks work? If so then the pump is working but there are probably leaks in the soft closers and trunk latch. If the power locks are out also, the entire pump might be shut down, gotta diag it and see why.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 174 Posts
Mercedes
Soft close was standard on all cars

yes the fact the soft close and trunk do not work mean the pse system has problems

if it doesn't work it's a $1500-2500 problem for a mechanic to fix .
Old 08-30-2017, 10:17 PM

Cl500
There was just too many things with this guy. First the squeaking suspension when raising and lowering that was passed off as "it's an old car" or my fav "for this price" but what really did it for me was a dealer posing as an owner, telling me the trunk is a fuse and the soft close wasn't standard. I would have felt better if it was passed off as a car with all of these issues and priced accordingly.
Then there was a dude who posted pics of the car that previous owner posted when he purchased it. Not of the car in its current state. The driver door looked like sand paper was taken to it. The leather was shiny, the idle was rough and he really seemed like it was just fine.
So now I'm looking at a 600. It needs a pressure hose, radiator, and wait for it.. it has Vertical doors. What are your thoughts on removing the vertical doors? I'll start a new thread for the doors but I thought since we're already here..
Old 08-31-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS
My personal view is that I wouldn't buy a car that needs anything. The reason is because if it needs something that means the owner has engaged in deferred maintenance and it is very likely that it also needs something else that is not apparent.

As someone else has said, these cars (and any older car for that matter) can become a money pit if they are not properly maintained. However, if they are maintained they are great cars and, from personal experience, not that expensive to keep going.

There are lots of these cars out there. Why dont you find a well maintained one with good records that wants nothing. Pay a little premium and you will be far ahead in the long run.

By the way, personally i would only do a CL 55 or 65. The price points are not that far from a 500 or 600 but you have a totally different driving experience.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 174 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Grandcouper View Post
There was just too many things with this guy. First the squeaking suspension when raising and lowering that was passed off as "it's an old car" or my fav "for this price" but what really did it for me was a dealer posing as an owner, telling me the trunk is a fuse and the soft close wasn't standard. I would have felt better if it was passed off as a car with all of these issues and priced accordingly.
Then there was a dude who posted pics of the car that previous owner posted when he purchased it. Not of the car in its current state. The driver door looked like sand paper was taken to it. The leather was shiny, the idle was rough and he really seemed like it was just fine.
So now I'm looking at a 600. It needs a pressure hose, radiator, and wait for it.. it has Vertical doors. What are your thoughts on removing the vertical doors? I'll start a new thread for the doors but I thought since we're already here..
are you joking ? A 500 or 600 with problems is the worst car to ever buy . Those are just the obvious problems they are telling you about . Owners like these spend as little as possible

You want one with a full service history , preferably by a mb dealer and a stack of service records , and an owner who had a "cost no object " method of maintaining it .

I I have both a cl500 and cl600 like that for sale , over $17000 in maintenance on the cl600 . Both need nothing . They also aren't the cheapest cars you'll find . I'm in California if your interested but if I recall you are in New York
The following users liked this post:
RonCL55 (09-01-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Mercedes S550 Coupe (now) CL55 (until last March 3), Ferrari 612, Porsche Macan GTS
I agree with Tusabes. My car has been with the same Mercedes mechanic for the last 10 years. I take it to him at all factory recommended service points and he does anything he wants and doesnt need my prior authorization. Essentially he has a blank check to keep it like the day i bought it. That is the kind of car that you want to find and you should pay a premium for it, it would be well worth it in the long run.

The only problem, mine is not for sale and never will be for sale.