ABC multiple fault codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
ABC multiple fault codes

I was almost home from an 80 mile road trip when I got a red ABC warning. Pulled over and shut off the car right away. No leaks and resivor was full, but left front corner was sitting low. I started it and hit the ride height button and it came right up. I had 3 people with me and it was starting to rain so I went for the drive home of just a few miles with no highway. I shut off the car at every stop and it felt pretty normal, only noticed a slight bouncy feel once. Noticed it sitting a little low when I got home and shut it off. Restarted it and it raised up again so I pulled it into the garage. Red ABC was on the whole time. No leaks and fluid level still normal. Pulled codes and got this set of faults. The description says if multiple sensors are showing faults, one has a short. I did just put in fresh spark plugs that morning, otherwise nothing but an oil change in the past 9 months. I cleared the codes and rodeod the car for a few minutes and it was working fine, pressure stayed above 160 bar. Any ideas where to start?

Old 06-01-2018, 02:29 AM

Received 795 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
this looks very electrical
start with the level sensors
test the wiring by moving them around engine on
das on at the same ttime so you have live refresh
that should lead to the module driver side, clean plugs

you can't get all these errors with just a hydrolic problem

just my opinion...
The following users liked this post:
Dr Matt (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 02:30 AM

CL
if still present, open the module, look for corrosion
Dr Matt (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Sounds like a good plan. Already tried wiggling the wires around t he underhood sensors while the car was running and hooked up to DAS. Nothing happened with that. Haven't opened up the housing where the control unit is yet.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:35 AM

CL
oops forgot

you could also run a Rodeo in DAS too
see if something weird happens
Dr Matt (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
I did run a rodeo after clearing the codes. Everything worked perfect. Also checked the battery cables to see if one was loose.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:38 AM

CL
yep, also possible that you had a short low voltage, that make the modules crazy
Dr Matt (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
I had a level sensor fail on me a couple of weeks ago, anything like and the right front corner dropped to the ground, but I didn't get as many error messages as that.

You can't get that many real errors all at once. It sounds like a control unit or connector.

My instinct would be to steer away from the control unit as they have the blame far more often than the guilt.

What may be quite likely is a SAM, though I'm not sure if ABC operates via a SAM, it's just that they're often the weak link.

Nick
Dr Matt (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Thinking a little more, even if it was a bad connector, I still don't think you'd get THAT many errors.

I'm thinking power supply....

Nick
The following 2 users liked this post by Welwynnick:
biker349 (06-01-2018), Dr Matt (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
When I go into any of those faults the SDS says if there are multiple sensor faults it is probably a short. Going to take the car for a test drive tonight after work and see what happens. If it shows back up I'll keep looking....
Old 06-04-2018, 01:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Well, it was the simplest possible thing it could have been, corroded positive battery terminal.

I put in the Odessey that's in the car in 2014. Since then I've removed the negative cable several times and never noticed any corrosion there, but the positive hasn't been off since I installed the battery. Corrosion wasn't visible, but when I removed the cable, the terminal looked black rather than shiny metallic. Cleaned it and now no problem...
Old 06-04-2018, 03:09 AM

CL
mmmmm.... don't remember who said "low voltage"

The following 2 users liked this post by pmercury:
biker349 (06-04-2018), Dr Matt (06-04-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65

Crap
Well that didn’t take long this time. The dreaded multiple ABC faults are back. This time I’ve double checked the battery, cleaned the terminals, checked the ground and where the main positive cable goes under the passenger foot well, tried a different battery, even tried adding an extra ground cable. Car drives perfect under normal throttle, but as soon as I hit it hard in the lower gears I et a red ABC warning & suspension goes into float mode. If I turn off the car and restart it the red warning is gone and it rides normal. Hook up the SDS & I get this again.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:11 PM

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts
W215 CL65
Just looked into this and found this other thread that could shed light on the issue. The problem was fixed in post #7
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...ol-module.html

No fault codes were posted, but the owner states that there was a long list of codes. What ended up happening is that the owner installed the "left rear a-arm sensor" incorrectly stating that it was "It was apx 45 degrees inverted" (I assume the owner is referring to the level sensor in the rear of the car). After he reinstalled correctly all faults were fixed.

Although in your case you might not have an improperly installed sensor, it seems to show that a fault in this sensor can cause more than one fault code just as you are describing. Moreover, your list of fault codes states "Critical vehicle level rear left" which is oddly the same side that the owner had an issue with. Perhaps the sensor can send incorrect signals rather than merely dye out. It would seem to make sense that when you accelerate hard, that sensor is being articulated and then sends an incorrect signal.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by MooksM275; 12-14-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Thanks for the reply. The "Critical vehicle level" code for the left rear was due to the car sitting for a couple months and that corner sagging while I was waiting for some A/C system fittings. It will drop on that corner sometimes if it sits without starting for more than a week or two, or quicker if it gets below about 20*F. Needs a new rear valve block to stop that, but the car rarely sits outside in those temps, and typically doesn't sit without being driven more than a few days at a time so I haven't worried about it. Really Do not think it is related.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
I recall somewhere reading somebody with similar issue having a harness worn through or pinched near passenger side strut tower/air filter area.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:27 PM

Received 63 Likes on 26 Posts
W215 CL65
Originally Posted by Dr Matt
Thanks for the reply. The "Critical vehicle level" code for the left rear was due to the car sitting for a couple months and that corner sagging while I was waiting for some A/C system fittings. It will drop on that corner sometimes if it sits without starting for more than a week or two, or quicker if it gets below about 20*F. Needs a new rear valve block to stop that, but the car rarely sits outside in those temps, and typically doesn't sit without being driven more than a few days at a time so I haven't worried about it. Really Do not think it is related.
FWIW-I had the same issue with my ABC sagging and never had that code. Based on your logs, you have had that code each time you have the issue. Is this the case or if you clear everything and retest, that code is not there?
Old 12-17-2018, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Originally Posted by knowbenz
I recall somewhere reading somebody with similar issue having a harness worn through or pinched near passenger side strut tower/air filter area.
Thanks for the response, but I already checked that wiring, didn't find a problem. I even had my son power brake the car and try to stal up the power as high as the brakes could hold to watch for excessive engine movement but it doesn't move much at all. .

Originally Posted by MooksM275
FWIW-I had the same issue with my ABC sagging and never had that code. Based on your logs, you have had that code each time you have the issue. Is this the case or if you clear everything and retest, that code is not there?
The low ride height fault has only showed up after the car has sagged/ sat too long and gone down. It goes away when I clear it and doesn't come back unless the car actually sags. All the other codes come back right as soon as I make it throw the red ABC error warning. Always the same set of codes too.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:48 AM

Benz
Thanks for the response, but I already checked that wiring, didn't find a problem. I even had my son power brake the car and try to stal up the power as high as the brakes could hold to watch for excessive engine movement but it doesn't move much at all. .

The low ride height fault has only showed up after the car has sagged/ sat too long and gone down. It goes away when I clear it and doesn't come back unless the car actually sags. All the other codes come back right as soon as I make it throw the red ABC error warning. Always the same set of codes too.
I didn't fully read everything here but this would be my approach.

look for something in common with all those sensors, power, ground, etc. Double check both connectors at the module for corrosion. Some of those are on connector 1 of the ABC module and some are on connector 2. All those sensors get a 5vdc power supply, maybe that power is dropping out, only thing that stands out is that the plunger travel sensors also get a 5vdc power supply from the module. There could be more than one voltage regulator in the module to power the different circuits. You have two power supplies to the module, one circuit 30 which is power all the time that feeds from fuse 9 in the LF fuse box and a circuit 87 that is power fed from a relay and then through fuse 46 in the RF fuse box.

If you have an SDS clear out all fault codes and run the car. Pull fuse 9 out and put it right back in simulating circuit 30 dropping out, see what fault codes are stored compared to what you had previously. If it's the same set of codes look further into that circuit, if not then repeat with fuse 46. Circuit 87 relay also powers other modules like ME and ESM, typically when the relay fails you would have a no start condition or other fault codes stored in those modules as well. If this is a problem that occurs once every 6 months it may be difficult to find the problem but if you can replicate the codes every time you drive then it will be much easier. You may just have one sensor that is intermittently shorting and causing a voltage drop at all the other sensors powered off that one chip in the module.
The following 2 users liked this post by knowbenz:
biker349 (12-20-2018), Dr Matt (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Thanks. I can replicate the problem any time I have some traction, just not on solid ice which is all we have for roads here right now. I'll try clearing the codes with my SDS & pulling the fuses you suggested to see what happens. If the roads clear up I may try to drive it this weekend datalogging the values of the sensors that are all giving me faults. I don't know if I can log and then replay them with my SDS.. I know I can watch them in real time, but it would be tough to catch the problem since it appears to be a brief fault. I was thinking of hooking up my Snap On dealers analyzer as he will let me borrow it any time I need it. I've never needed it before as I have other code readers and datalogging capabilities for most things, but none will log the CL's suspension sensor values. I don't know if the Snap On Zeus or Apollo will either, but I would think for the thousands of dollars they cost it should drive the car and do the analysis for me, lol.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:14 PM

Benz
Thanks. I can replicate the problem any time I have some traction, just not on solid ice which is all we have for roads here right now. I'll try clearing the codes with my SDS & pulling the fuses you suggested to see what happens. If the roads clear up I may try to drive it this weekend datalogging the values of the sensors that are all giving me faults. I don't know if I can log and then replay them with my SDS.. I know I can watch them in real time, but it would be tough to catch the problem since it appears to be a brief fault. I was thinking of hooking up my Snap On dealers analyzer as he will let me borrow it any time I need it. I've never needed it before as I have other code readers and datalogging capabilities for most things, but none will log the CL's suspension sensor values. I don't know if the Snap On Zeus or Apollo will either, but I would think for the thousands of dollars they cost it should drive the car and do the analysis for me, lol.
I know the SDS you can't log those values but you could try and watch the values while driving and see if something looks fishy. You can always download some screen capture software to record the screen to replay it when you stop instead of trying to drive and watch computer at the same time. If the snap on scanner has a scope ( i know some do) you could always back probe at the module and see if something cuts out.
Dr Matt (12-22-2018)
Old 03-19-2023, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w220 S600 2003
mercedes w220 mercedes s600 2003, abc several error codes when i turn and accelerate

hi did you solve the problem? I probably have the same one, I also get 10 different error codes on all sensors. mercedes w220 abc several error codes when i turn and accelerate.
Old 03-20-2023, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w220 S600 2003
Abc issue

I was almost home from an 80 mile road trip when I got a red ABC warning. Pulled over and shut off the car right away. No leaks and resivor was full, but left front corner was sitting low. I started it and hit the ride height button and it came right up. I had 3 people with me and it was starting to rain so I went for the drive home of just a few miles with no highway. I shut off the car at every stop and it felt pretty normal, only noticed a slight bouncy feel once. Noticed it sitting a little low when I got home and shut it off. Restarted it and it raised up again so I pulled it into the garage. Red ABC was on the whole time. No leaks and fluid level still normal. Pulled codes and got this set of faults. The description says if multiple sensors are showing faults, one has a short. I did just put in fresh spark plugs that morning, otherwise nothing but an oil change in the past 9 months. I cleared the codes and rodeod the car for a few minutes and it was working fine, pressure stayed above 160 bar. Any ideas where to start?

hi did you solve the problem? I probably have the same one, I also get 10 different error codes on all sensors. mercedes w220 abc several error codes when i turn and accelerate
Old 03-20-2023, 08:53 PM

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
How's your battery?
Old 03-21-2023, 10:48 AM

Received 138 Likes on 126 Posts
CL 600 '00 5.8L V12
Make sure to check the grounding too. These are all ADC (analog to digital) measured measurements and an improper ground connection can cause all shorts of errors

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ABC multiple fault codes