CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

FIX for broken timing cover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CL500 , 08 Lincoln Navigator
FIX for broken timing cover

I did the ABC pump to S500 power steering conversion and after about a month the power steering pump broke off the timing cover. New timing cover around $350 -$400 plus labor and other parts. Replacing the timing cover is a huge job and two people say the engine has to come out to get to the bolts to take the oil pan off. Quoted over $2500 to do the job just in labor. It is over 20 hours labor. Add in all the parts and it was close to $4000. I found a timing cover used for $100 but that still wasn't saving on any labor so I had to do some engineering

I read a thread on this forum and a guy said he had a bracket to mount the pump but he didn't have any pictures and even if it is only $200 I didn't feel like sending money to someone who only has 3 post on this forum without even knowing what I was going to get or if any bracket even existed.

I figured out how to make a bracket and it all bolts up and everything fits fine. Belt lines up perfect. I'm sure the bracket is as strong or stronger than the ears that broke off the timing cover BUT I am going to extend the original rear bracket from the ABC pump for insurance and make sure I install it. I made this bracket out of 3/16 steel but I am thinking about maybe redoing it with 1/4 steel. One of the mounting bolts on the engine side of the pump goes right threw the timing cover and into the front of the block. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be with the entire car still put together including radiator

I am including some pictures and I hope everyone can see them. Also hope it helps someone else in need. I am saving the template if anyone needs it you can try messaging me

The following 2 users liked this post by 6badrotties:
biker349 (05-05-2019), Coupecrasher (01-13-2021)
Old 05-13-2019, 09:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
thats great that you were able to salvage the situation. i think i remember the original post

in my experience, that black brace on the backside of the pump is unnecessary. i almost broke my timing cover myself trying to forcefully attach that brace, in my experience it doesn't fit right on the standard w220 power steering pump

ive went without it for months now and have had no issues.

i also remember that bracket you mention being sold for $200 and thought that was a little steep. i know you can get metal up to 3/4" cut to any shape/size you need these days if you have the right schematics to send them
Old 11-22-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
W215
Similiar issue. Im still going to keep the ABC system

Awsome brother . I just ran in to your thread . So i do you need the rear hoops or do i have to fabricate a bracket . I have a thread i just opened with detailed pictures. And im in the middle of getting my ABC system back to operation.. please check it out. I dont want to change the front timing cover.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:32 AM

W215
Ple

Please have a look at my post

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...ease-help.html
Old 11-30-2019, 03:27 PM

W215
bump
Old 01-13-2021, 07:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2006 S500
Hey man! Can you send me the template?
Originally Posted by 6badrotties
I did the ABC pump to S500 power steering conversion and after about a month the power steering pump broke off the timing cover. New timing cover around $350 -$400 plus labor and other parts. Replacing the timing cover is a huge job and two people say the engine has to come out to get to the bolts to take the oil pan off. Quoted over $2500 to do the job just in labor. It is over 20 hours labor. Add in all the parts and it was close to $4000. I found a timing cover used for $100 but that still wasn't saving on any labor so I had to do some engineering

I read a thread on this forum and a guy said he had a bracket to mount the pump but he didn't have any pictures and even if it is only $200 I didn't feel like sending money to someone who only has 3 post on this forum without even knowing what I was going to get or if any bracket even existed.

I figured out how to make a bracket and it all bolts up and everything fits fine. Belt lines up perfect. I'm sure the bracket is as strong or stronger than the ears that broke off the timing cover BUT I am going to extend the original rear bracket from the ABC pump for insurance and make sure I install it. I made this bracket out of 3/16 steel but I am thinking about maybe redoing it with 1/4 steel. One of the mounting bolts on the engine side of the pump goes right threw the timing cover and into the front of the block. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be with the entire car still put together including radiator

I am including some pictures and I hope everyone can see them. Also hope it helps someone else in need. I am saving the template if anyone needs it you can try messaging me

Old 08-24-2021, 07:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
98 SL600, 94 S500
Your bracket

[QUOTE=6badrotties;7748829]I did the ABC pump to S500 power steering conversion and after about a month the power steering pump broke off the timing cover. New timing cover around $350 -$400 plus labor and other parts. Replacing the timing cover is a huge job and two people say the engine has to come out to get to the bolts to take the oil pan off. Quoted over $2500 to do the job just in labor. It is over 20 hours labor. Add in all the parts and it was close to $4000. I found a timing cover used for $100 but that still wasn't saving on any labor so I had to do some engineering

Last edited by CHRIS MORRELL; 08-24-2021 at 08:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (08-25-2021)
Old 10-08-2023, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 s500 w220
Do you still have template? If so can you help me out with it? I would be very greatful.
Old 10-09-2023, 03:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
98 SL600, 94 S500
My bracket

Originally Posted by Redleather
Do you still have template? If so can you help me out with it? I would be very greatful.
I am still making my bracket which is far stronger, cleaner & more refined, have saved Benz owners thousands in repairs. Call 386-868-7978 for fastest service
Old 03-17-2024, 02:26 PM

Mercedes T1 208 diesel
Cracked timing chain cover

Hi there, I have a Mercedes T1 208 diesel (1990 motorhome). Our timing chain cover broke recently and we've been trying to work out a makeshift solution. We had ordered a motor which we were thinking of installing on a bracket to power the existing pump. However, what you seem to have developed looks like it could be an easier, cheaper and potentially more reliable work-around. Has your bracket lasted to date and do you know by any chance if the specifications/dimensions would work for us? If so, getting clearer dimensions would be helpful, or any other advice. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 04-08-2024, 09:53 AM

CL500
Hello, any chance of using your template if at all possible?
Old 04-15-2024, 09:00 AM

CL500
Originally Posted by CHRIS MORRELL
I am still making my bracket which is far stronger, cleaner & more refined, have saved Benz owners thousands in repairs. Call 386-868-7978 for fastest service
Hi Chris, I would be interested, would you ship to europe?