CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Front timing Cover ABC Pump rear Bracket broke. Please Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 01:46 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
W215
Exclamation Front timing Cover ABC Pump rear Bracket broke. Please Help

Whats up MB World . i recently purchased a 2001 W215 about 3 weeks ago, an upgrade from W211 .. drove it home with bad a ABC pump. finally got around to removing the ABC pump .found 2 lines had snapped.at the banjo and at the pulsation dampener. after taking a further look and also realizing that i only had to remove 2 screws to get the pump off. i relized the person who sold me the car had attemped to remove the pump and couldent see or figuer out where the 3rd rear lower screw was located .and im guessing tried to pry the pump off the car . causing the rear bracket that is part of the front timing cover to break. i will include pictures so you have a better understanding of what is going on . The ABC pump self destructed . the ring around the pulley broke off at the weld points. after putting it on the work bench and about to remove the pulley , the entire excentric shaft came completely off of the pump. so pump is no good . what i did relize is that one of the bolts that holds the pump together has a screw that sticks out about a 1/2 inch from the back of the pump . in the same general area where the bracket broke there is a similar bracket ,but its in a higher postion and and im guessing it is not in use . i need to figuer out how to make it work . with possibly relocated or adding a longer screw to the back of the pump so i can utilize this bracket . if not im going to have to install a new timing cover and that seems like a lot of work .might as well install a new engine . unless any one has ideas to get this ready to install the new abc pump .

good view of upper bracket point that is not in use

broken bracket

detailed

rear view of pump .1/2 inch screw i was talking about in middle lower section of pump

broken dampner was sitting on cross member

broken in 2 locations back of dampner

banjo line

dampner broken banjo

broken !!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance

Last edited by JRAZ305; 11-20-2019 at 01:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 04:33 PM

W215
BUMP
Old 11-23-2019, 02:07 AM

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
JB Weld?
Old 11-23-2019, 05:42 AM

W215
Mix a glob of jb weld and then try making a thread inside of the glob? Hmh not really sure if that would work. But im open to all suggestions ... tomorrow i shall start removing the broken lines.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:24 AM

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
Originally Posted by JRAZ305
Mix a glob of jb weld and then try making a thread inside of the glob? Hmh not really sure if that would work. But im open to all suggestions ... tomorrow i shall start removing the broken lines.
That’s kind of what I was thinking
Old 11-30-2019, 03:18 PM

W215
do you really think it would work ?
Old 05-14-2020, 11:56 PM

W215
Fixed it

2 washers and a nut did the job
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (05-15-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 08:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2000 CL 500
Mine is broken there in the exact same way. My solution will be to swap the stud and bolt around on the back of the pump and make use of that upper mounting hole in it's home which is doing nothing. (It is also centered between the front two bolts which looks better to me).

Last edited by Viper GTS; 06-20-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2006 S500
What was the fix? Just moving the position of the longer bolt? It’s secure?
Originally Posted by Viper GTS
Mine is broken there in the exact same way. My solution will be to swap the stud and bolt around on the back of the pump and make use of that upper mounting hole in it's home which is doing nothing. (It is also centered between the front two bolts which looks better to me).

Old 01-14-2021, 11:25 AM

W215
I thought of that. I have my old one to take off and see . If it can work. I just used a washer and a nut. It’s been on like that for a while
Old 01-14-2021, 12:33 PM

W215
Originally Posted by Viper GTS

exactley what i was talking about at the end of the first post , right befor talking about changing the cover and installing new engine... how did your fix come out? can we get an update of your build ....... the only issue im having now is seems like the pump surges in power i can hear the pump mkee noise like every 60 seconds the only issue i have that i noticed was - when i took apart the fron valve block- one of the springs on the solinoids was broken and had a little bit of rust build up ---- i did my best to rebuild with broken spring ,,, no rebuild kit on hand ... added fresh fluid flushed out and the abc system seemed to function properly for a few - then took the black bird out for a spin and came back home side ways --- suspension will stay up for a couple days then start sagging *** so next would be to rebuild the valve block or buy a new one /used one
Old 01-14-2021, 01:12 PM

2006 S500
exactley what i was talking about at the end of the first post , right befor talking about changing the cover and installing new engine... how did your fix come out? can we get an update of your build ....... the only issue im having now is seems like the pump surges in power i can hear the pump mkee noise like every 60 seconds the only issue i have that i noticed was - when i took apart the fron valve block- one of the springs on the solinoids was broken and had a little bit of rust build up ---- i did my best to rebuild with broken spring ,,, no rebuild kit on hand ... added fresh fluid flushed out and the abc system seemed to function properly for a few - then took the black bird out for a spin and came back home side ways --- suspension will stay up for a couple days then start sagging *** so next would be to rebuild the valve block or buy a new one /used one
I saw used engines online for my w220 s500 for 300-500 and a timing case cover is like 100-200 but then plus labor or now my current situation BUY timing case cover and pay for labor which I heard is like taking a whole card stacked house all the way down to wipe the bottom card because of touch-grease and then having to stack up whole card house tower .. or should I try the steel cut template ?
Old 01-14-2021, 04:24 PM

W215
I thought u fixed it already.

- short story my first Merc was w211 - I bought the vehicle. - came to learn that the oil pump chain had been severed. Tried to remove the timing cover while engine was still in car. To much work. Bought a junkyard engine swapped it out. Put all my components on. Driving to the dealer I lose power. Car dies across from the stealership - pop the hood Leaky power steering resivoir slipped and shredded the belt. Belt wrapped around crank pulley - destroyed the front-(engine oil everywhere) seal and if I would of kept driving would of broke the oil pump chain againlong story short it was cheaper to replace the engine and not have to mess with the timing cover. As far as my w-215 I used the broken loop at the bottom of the cover just added two washers and and a nut - and tighten it up .no bracket.
Old 01-16-2021, 05:46 PM

2006 S500
I thought u fixed it already.

- short story my first Merc was w211 - I bought the vehicle. - came to learn that the oil pump chain had been severed. Tried to remove the timing cover while engine was still in car. To much work. Bought a junkyard engine swapped it out. Put all my components on. Driving to the dealer I lose power. Car dies across from the stealership - pop the hood Leaky power steering resivoir slipped and shredded the belt. Belt wrapped around crank pulley - destroyed the front-(engine oil everywhere) seal and if I would of kept driving would of broke the oil pump chain againlong story short it was cheaper to replace the engine and not have to mess with the timing cover. As far as my w-215 I used the broken loop at the bottom of the cover just added two washers and and a nut - and tighten it up .no bracket.
the broken ear of the bracket you sort of “sandwiched” with washers?