CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Cognac Brown/Black leather discontinued?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something on 4 wheels..
Question Cognac Brown/Black leather discontinued?

Hi,

I just returned from my local dealer and found out that I couldn't order Cognac Brown/Black leather on the CL63 (I know, the AMG has a special sub-forum but I'm curious if this limitation applies to all CLs). I was told that they discontinued this color-combo..

In addition to that,I was told that the 030 Performance Package couldn't be combined with any kind of designo-Package. Very, very strange...
Old 11-01-2007, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014-GL 450
cognac brown interior-majestic black exterior

I ordered and will be picking up on 11/5 a CL550 with 807 Cognac/Black Premium Leather interior with 112 Majestic Black Exterior. I saw the car yesterday and the combo looks great. The black actually has a hint of a very dark blue.
No problem in ordering the vehicle.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:15 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by rsevinor
I ordered and will be picking up on 11/5 a CL550 with 807 Cognac/Black Premium Leather interior with 112 Majestic Black Exterior. I saw the car yesterday and the combo looks great. The black actually has a hint of a very dark blue.
No problem in ordering the vehicle.
Congrats on your order - that is an outstanding interior color!
You are very lucky - I called mbusa today and they confirmed that this color has been discontinued...

I'm very curious about the exterior paint - cause I'm planning on ordering the same. Since you saw that color already, is the color more black or closer to a darker blue? Did you see the car in darker light or in sunlight? This color replaced Obsidian what was considered the typical black metallic so right now, I'm trying to find out what's different between these two colors.

Thanks for any input!

Last edited by FloridaE55; 11-01-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Was helping a CL-addicted colleague spec a CL63 last wkend....

At my dealer, saw majestic blk on two SLs (one in showroom; one on dealer lot in bright sun)....in dim light, appears black or dark blue....in bright sun, looks like dark blue w/metallic flakes....looked good....(colleague spec'd maj blk/blk 030 w/cf; he's already had two silver/blk CL63 030 w/blk wood)...

Maj blk is along lines of BMW's carbon blk...

Obsidian is blk w/more of a dk brownish tone/fleck in sunlight....similar to Porsche's basalt blk....
Old 11-02-2007, 06:49 PM

2014-GL 450
Magestic Black with Congnac / Black premium Leather

Originally Posted by FloridaE55
Congrats on your order - that is an outstanding interior color!
You are very lucky - I called mbusa today and they confirmed that this color has been discontinued...

I'm very curious about the exterior paint - cause I'm planning on ordering the same. Since you saw that color already, is the color more black or closer to a darker blue? Did you see the car in darker light or in sunlight? This color replaced Obsidian what was considered the typical black metallic so right now, I'm trying to find out what's different between these two colors.

Thanks for any input!
Hello:

I was picking up the paperwork at the dealer this afternoon in preparation for a monday delivery and inquired to the salesperson on your behalf about the color / interior combo. He ( salesman ) checked their star ordering system and in fact the vehicle combo can still be ordered in a CL 550 and a CL 600. He stated the interior pattern is different in the CL 63 and as such this combo was not available. Hope this helps and if you would like to talk to the salesperson email me.

Best of Luck
Old 11-02-2007, 08:36 PM

06 612 Scaglietti
Majestic Black replaced black opal. Therefore it looks more blue then black. Many dealers have them in stock, its worth checking out.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:36 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by rsevinor
Hello:

I was picking up the paperwork at the dealer this afternoon in preparation for a monday delivery and inquired to the salesperson on your behalf about the color / interior combo. He ( salesman ) checked their star ordering system and in fact the vehicle combo can still be ordered in a CL 550 and a CL 600. He stated the interior pattern is different in the CL 63 and as such this combo was not available. Hope this helps and if you would like to talk to the salesperson email me.

Best of Luck
Thanks for your input! That explains it all..
Meanwhile, I also checked the German configurator for the CL63 and that color doesn't show up as well.

Although I initially ordered the Majestic Black in combination with the Cashmere Beige, I decided to switch the interior color to Grey/Dark Grey with the Carbon Trim. IMO, this suits the AMG sport-character more than the beige. As far as I know, the Grey offered on the CL is a bit darker than the Ash-grey.

Trending Topics

Old 11-03-2007, 11:19 PM

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Rolls Royce Wraith, 1999 CLK Cabriolet, 2023 Genesis G90
Opinions are like belly buttons...everyone has one (unless you had a bad tummy tuck, but I digress) so here is mine. I have the CL63 in Majestic Black with a black interior and black ash wood. (I'm told mine is thus far the only CL63 in Florida in this color.) Not all the black tones inside are the same, so it's not one monochromatic scheme. Majestic Black did indeed replace Black Opal, but I'd be careful about combining it with Cognac, which is a richer shade of old basebal glove brown. A truly beautiul interior, but you must be a fan of blue-brown combinations (of which I am not) in order for it to work. I saw a Black CL600 with a Cognac interior and that was classy. Choose what you wish. After all, it will be what you see on a daily basis. Just be aware that the Majestic Black will look blue in certain light conditions and that may affect the way the interior matches up. The choice of Grey 808 seems like a better one. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Hope this helps.

Last edited by neodoc; 11-03-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:01 AM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by neodoc
Opinions are like belly buttons...everyone has one (unless you had a bad tummy tuck, but I digress) so here is mine. I have the CL63 in Majestic Black with a black interior and black ash wood. (I'm told mine is thus far the only CL63 in Florida in this color.) Not all the black tones inside are the same, so it's not one monochromatic scheme. Majestic Black did indeed replace Black Opal, but I'd be careful about combining it with Cognac, which is a richer shade of old basebal glove brown. A truly beautiul interior, but you must be a fan of blue-brown combinations (of which I am not) in order for it to work. I saw a Black CL600 with a Cognac interior and that was classy. Choose what you wish. After all, it will be what you see on a daily basis. Just be aware that the Majestic Black will look blue in certain light conditions and that may affect the way the interior matches up. The choice of Grey 808 seems like a better one. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Hope this helps.
neodoc,

Thank you for your input!

You're absolutely right - you can't go wrong with a black or grey interior. These two colors are very 'neutral' and can be combined with almost any exterior color - black anyway and the fact that the grey leather is a darker grey, makes it easier as well. I'm addicted to black metallic cars (surprise!) so the Majestic Black is fixed. Yes, it has a blue touch but since the Obsidian is gone (Mercedes' Black Sapphire) and the designo Mocha Black (the first choice) is not an option, It's the only way to go. Now, to avoid the total 'frying-effect' in Florida (black on black), I opted for the slightly lighter grey. I also like the effect that there will be a light contrast between the darker exterior and the lighter interior - also worked well on my current cars.

Anyway - CL63 and Cognac is not possible - and when I'm thinking about it now, I'm not 100% sure why I was so focused on it at the beginning. Well, my first choice was the designo Mocha Black and after I found out that I couldn't get that due to the 030-package, I had to decide on an alternative within 2 minutes...Fortunately, I can play with the colors for the next few months..

There was a CL550 at my local dealer that was in Cognac and everybody who's interested in that color should have a look at it in person because it's TOTALLY DIFFERENT than you might think. Here's what I mean:

If you want to see how the leather color really is, check out the color samples at the end of the brochure. The pictures that show the interior at the beginning of the brochure (where it says 'shown in cognac/black leather') are as different as day and night. The cognac has a dark red touch. If you have a 2008 CL-Class brochure available, you will see what I'm talking about.