CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Exhaust mods for CL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bentley GT, F360M
Exhaust mods for CL500

I just got the w216 CL500 today. Can anyone tell me what exhaust mods there are for the CL in terms of performance gains and sound?

Stuff such as remus, loriser, brabus, supersprint and carlsson are widely available over here but do not know how they sound or if there are any performance gains on them.

Has anyone simply decatted the exhaust or modified the muffler so that is is straight thru? (Did that with the SL55 and it sounded good although there was some loss of low end)

Any advice is welcome.

Best Regards

MB
Old 12-30-2007, 01:22 PM
Banned

na
Hello,

Where do you live?
This will affect whether or not you can decat your exhaust, you will not pass emissions, be illegal and most likely have CPU errors.

Our exhaust for the new CL500 is straight through and decreases backpressure by over 40%.

HP is gained at the top end while maintaining torque at lower RPM.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:33 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
CL500 is a great overall luxury car

But an overly loud exhaust may be amusingly "self-defeating" in context of an arguably underpowered <400hp, 4500lb luxury coupe.....

Sort of like putting 20" AMG wheels on a non-AMG CL...those puny, girlie brakes/calipers (aren't those calipers identical to those of a 10yo C-Class?) are simply made rather obvious.....inviting laughter from other rapper wannabes and even fat chicks....
Old 12-30-2007, 04:33 PM

Big and Heavy 03 CL
Originally Posted by mbpark
I just got the w216 CL500 today. Can anyone tell me what exhaust mods there are for the CL in terms of performance gains and sound?

Stuff such as remus, loriser, brabus, supersprint and carlsson are widely available over here but do not know how they sound or if there are any performance gains on them.

Has anyone simply decatted the exhaust or modified the muffler so that is is straight thru? (Did that with the SL55 and it sounded good although there was some loss of low end)

Any advice is welcome.

Best Regards

MB
I don't know if this will help you or not but I figured I would share...I drive an 03 w215 and just put on Eisenmann Race mufflers only and it is very nasty sounding. At 2500rpm, no matter the gear, it has a very loud harmonic hum that really vibrates the cabin. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have gone with the race version. It sounds amazing on acceleration and downshifting. You wouldn't expect this sound from this car. Good luck with your mods.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
I run straight pipes through the mufflers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=K6hF1IgThWg

It sounds amazing in person
Old 01-04-2008, 09:46 AM

Bentley GT, F360M
That sounds good to me. When u went straight thru did you pack it with steel wool or straight thru really means straight thru... with a non peforated pipe?

I stay in South East Asia and overtly loud exhausts are generally not frowned upon.

As to the REMUS exhausts, the pics of the tips don't appeal to me. Would it be possible to fit 2, 4 inch turbo tips on each side without cutting the bumber? Are the remus 2.5 inch? They also sound abit soft. Do they have remus race exhaust systems? Also, aren't REMUS and SEBRING the same company?
Old 01-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Banned

na
Yes, you can fit custom tips, however it's an additional cost and time to manufacture.

We do have race systems, but it's not very suitable for a CL Class.

Yes Remus and Sebring is the same company.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:57 AM

Bentley GT, F360M
In the end i gutted the whole exhaust.

I rented the whole exhaust shop since most of the guys there were on vacation during this asian festive period and since i knew how to use the cutters and welding equipment, i decided to take a crack at it myself.

I took me a week!!! Took out Cats, opened up the muffler and welded a peforated steel pipe thru, wrapped with steel wool and kept the stock tips for the time being.

It sounds amazing now. Very much like the cl65. BUT and a big but... loss so much of low end torque. It all comes in only much later now.