CL-Class (W216) 2007-Present: CL 500, CL 600

Anyone move from a CLS55 to CL600 or 65 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:00 AM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Anyone move from a CLS55 to CL600 or 65 ?

Haven't posted in a while as I've been enjoying my modded CLS55 and have focused on other hobbies, having achieved car satisfaction!

But the new CL is starting to tempt me. My oldest girl is now out of car seat, and my youngest has about another year before she will just need a booster. Once the need for car seats is gone, I won't need the four doors any longer. I've always preferred coupes and the CL is stunning, and I really want a V12TT before these engines go away for good.

New CL65 is out of the question, and retail of the CL600 is also out though I hear there are good deals to be had. A friend has a fairly large used auto business and can find good deals on repos, wholesale, etc. so I'll likely pursue either a car through him or on the used market.

I've been fairly happy with the Renntech mods on the CLS55 (I took it to stage V). If I go the 600 route, I'd almost certainly end up adding ECU upgrade, body kit, exhaust, brakes, wheels, etc, so it may not end up much cheaper than a 65. And I won't ever recover cost of the mods and warranty restrictions will apply for sure. But it will give the option of having a uniquely personalized car. With a 65 I'd obviously leave well enough alone other than maybe the ECU upgrade.

Has anyone migrated from a CLS55 to a CL600/65, and if so are you happy ? It will be my daily driver, and the CLS has been very, very good in this regard.

I'd probably not consider the CL63, as low end torque is the most important performance factor for me and it is lacking on the N/A V8. Gas mileage is also really poor, worse than the twin turbo V12s and supercharged V8s. I've been surprised at how well my moddd CLS55 does, 16/22 mpg. I think Renntech is now saying their mods to add a few mpg. Highway mpg peaks at no less than 80mph though At 55mph it is lower, and a lot less fun.

Last edited by Heisenberg; 11-17-2008 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by RennTech55K
Haven't posted in a while as I've been enjoying my modded CLS55 and have focused on other hobbies, having achieved car satisfaction!

But the new CL is starting to tempt me. My oldest girl is now out of car seat, and my youngest has about another year before she will just need a booster. Once the need for car seats is gone, I won't need the four doors any longer. I've always preferred coupes and the CL is stunning, and I really want a V12TT before these engines go away for good.

New CL65 is out of the question, and retail of the CL600 is also out though I hear there are good deals to be had. A friend has a fairly large used auto business and can find good deals on repos, wholesale, etc. so I'll likely pursue either a car through him or on the used market.

I've been fairly happy with the Renntech mods on the CLS55 (I took it to stage V). If I go the 600 route, I'd almost certainly end up adding ECU upgrade, body kit, exhaust, brakes, wheels, etc, so it may not end up much cheaper than a 65. And I won't ever recover cost of the mods and warranty restrictions will apply for sure. But it will give the option of having a uniquely personalized car. With a 65 I'd obviously leave well enough alone other than maybe the ECU upgrade.

Has anyone migrated from a CLS55 to a CL600/65, and if so are you happy ? It will be my daily driver, and the CLS has been very, very good in this regard.

I'd probably not consider the CL63, as low end torque is the most important performance factor for me and it is lacking on the N/A V8. Gas mileage is also really poor, worse than the twin turbo V12s and supercharged V8s. I've been surprised at how well my moddd CLS55 does, 16/22 mpg. I think Renntech is now saying their mods to add a few mpg. Highway mpg peaks at no less than 80mph though At 55mph it is lower, and a lot less fun.
Yeah, if your coming from a 55, go for either 600 or 65. I would rather save the money and go for the 600. Yeah, 63, no way. I can't believe they went with this move of getting rid of the supercharged V8 for the 63 N/A V8 with weak torque. I love torque, that's why I love Benz. Low end torque is awesome. BMW never really fed this to me, and I never liked Audi's. *Sigh, I wish I bought a V8, an E550 would be amazing.

The new 600's also come with a different exhaust than the 550s, unlike before with the 500s.

Last edited by gaazmon; 11-18-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
It doesn't really matter what car you migrated from.
Go for CL600 with your "eyes closed" (but test drive one first).
I and couple of guys on forum here are driving this car daily - remarkable car. Let me stress it again - REMARKABLE CAR.
Period.
If THE torque is your vice, especially low end torque, which no other car can show for...
(and safety
and comfort
and performance
and gravity defying ABC suspension
and style
and high end gadgets
and etc.)
then CL600 is your ticket. Let's put CL65 on a side for now of course, that beats the sh*t out of everything.
I'm also toying with Renntech ECU/TCU but winter is coming and this car (as it is), no mods, is difficult not to lose the traction.

Class... let's repeat - traction is everything.

My new winter tires 255 (275 rear) /40R-19 Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero XL are no help (winter)
Very nice tires, purchased from TireRack (of course),
surprisingly soft, nicer ride then original Contis (POS).
If I get 2 seasons out of them, I'll celebrate.
Going back to your original post, gas mileage, 50/50 highway/city computer showing 17.2 right now. And I love the rush. Torque that is. Instant gratification. Nothing better on the road right now, probably in 50 miles radius.
So.....
Go for it. Before legendary MB V12TT is gone.
V12 TT all the way!
Mark.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by markopolo
It doesn't really matter what car you migrated from.
Go for CL600 with your "eyes closed" (but test drive one first).
I and couple of guys on forum here are driving this car daily - remarkable car. Let me stress it again - REMARKABLE CAR.
Period.
If THE torque is your vice, especially low end torque, which no other car can show for...
(and safety
and comfort
and performance
and gravity defying ABC suspension
and style
and high end gadgets
and etc.)
then CL600 is your ticket. Let's put CL65 on a side for now of course, that beats the sh*t out of everything.
I'm also toying with Renntech ECU/TCU but winter is coming and this car (as it is), no mods, is difficult not to lose the traction.

Class... let's repeat - traction is everything.

My new winter tires 255 (275 rear) /40R-19 Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero XL are no help (winter)
Very nice tires, purchased from TireRack (of course),
surprisingly soft, nicer ride then original Contis (POS).
If I get 2 seasons out of them, I'll celebrate.
Going back to your original post, gas mileage, 50/50 highway/city computer showing 17.2 right now. And I love the rush. Torque that is. Instant gratification. Nothing better on the road right now, probably in 50 miles radius.
So.....
Go for it. Before legendary MB V12TT is gone.
V12 TT all the way!
Mark.
I don't think the 600 V12TT will leave us anytime soon (better not, I want to buy one before they stop making them). But I heard that AMG 63 V8 and the AMG 65 V12 will be replaced with 5.0L V8TT's, one pushing about 530 hp and the other pushing well over 600hp, both with awesome torque.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:26 PM

Received 112 Likes on 80 Posts
2020 S63 Coupe, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha, 2018 McLaren 720S, 2022 Porsche 911 TurboS, 2022 Tesla Model X
Thanks for the good advice. W216 with V12TT is about the only car I would give up my Renntech CLS55 to have.

It will be interesting to see how prices compare for pre-owned CL65 versus CL600. My guess is differential will likely be much less than it would cost to retrofit a CL600 with body kit, exhaust, wheels, brakes, ECU, etc. which could easily be $40k or more. And the interior leather of the CL65 is just gorgeous. Extra 1/2 liter of displacement is a plus for the 65 but not that important, traction will be the limiting factor for either. That said, there is no such thing as too much power, just not enough traction!

I agree that torque is paramount. Engines that derive their power only at high RPM are just not that fun or practical as a daily driver. Besides the obvious, high revving engines (i.e. non-blown) engines get crappy mileage as they need big displacement to achieve the power. Reduced range, rather than fuel cost, is the big problem here.

As an aside, I think MB discontinued the 55K because of height issues with new European safety standards -- the supercharger obviously increases minimal hood height since it sits atop the engine, which is not the case with turbos. Too bad because it is a marvelous engine limited by factory implementation -- i.e. very amenable to modifications. And it gets great mileage for its output too.
Old 04-14-2009, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55 AMG & 08 CL65 Mystic White
Originally Posted by RennTech55K

At the end of this week I'll have both a CLS55 and a 08 CL65 Mystic White. I'll let you know what I think. Plus, the deals are out there! Never been a better time!
Old 04-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Banned

2003 CL600
CL600 is my daily driver. I love the CL65 AMG but the 600 is more than enough in comparison.the 600 is unmtached in class and performance. every gas station i pull in someone is comming up to me literally every single gas station. This didnt happen with my 55AMG ahahha. Go with a little older cl600 up to 2006 and ull have room for mods etc. Justt my .02.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:39 PM

2008 CL550
I had a 2005 SL500 had some mods totaled that car almost bought A SL55 then I test drove a CL550 I almost wet my pants its my forth Benz I'm only 29 but even thow its not a 63 or 65 by FAR!!!!!! the best Benz I have ever owned never gives me problems and I must say I love using night view

Also b4 I bought my CL550 I almost bought. CL600 I deff could feel the difference in power punched it at 40 mph and traction was kicking on If your wondering why I didst buy it it was salvage not spending 60k on a salvage car....