Looking for an 07 or 08 W216

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL600
Looking for an 07 or 08 W216

Im looking to buy a 2007 or 2008 CL550.
What are the common issues with the car and is there any differnce between the years?

Thanks guys
Old 10-24-2012, 07:47 PM

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
2007 CL550
No significant differences for CL550 and CL600. CL63 and CL65 were not available in 2007. At some point in time, the separate switch to control the headlight washer was deleted and the shape of the power window switches was modified. Late in 2008, real time traffic display was added to the GPS, but this can be added to earlier models by a software upgrade for less than a couple of hundred dollars.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:07 PM

CL600
Thank you. Are there any problems I should look out for?

Ive seen the masssaging seats and the active seats go bad more than anything.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:09 PM

CL550
Originally Posted by bigjhimon
Thank you. Are there any problems I should look out for?

Ive seen the masssaging seats and the active seats go bad more than anything.
I got my 07 CL550 with 27k miles last August and here is all the things I have had to do. Btw, my car currently has 47k miles now. All services done on time. Both windows had to be reprogrammed by dealer because they were not self closing properly. Transmission getting stuck in limp mode causing me to turn off the car to reset the transmission. (Replaced bad transmission hardness). Whining noise over 3k rpms dealer said it's the ABC pump seal but it's (not leaking) so I am living with it. Jerky transmission and memory driver seat forgetting to adjust when turning off the car and opening the door. (ECU needed to be reflashed.) Both power steering and ABC pump lines split while driving out of my gated community causing serious smoke and no power steering.(Both lines replaced.) Car is now making a humming noise at 2k rpms so I have to take it in. I can't speak for everyone who owns a W216 but I wouldn't personally by another one. Coming from a BMW (very reliable) this been a major disappointment in reliability. I have spent about $10k in repairs in just over a year of ownership. I would recommend you to get either a more reliable class or a Lexus. I'm done with Mercedes in general.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:13 PM

CL600
Originally Posted by BLKMAMBA
I got my 07 CL550 with 27k miles last August and here is all the things I have had to do. Btw, my car currently has 47k miles now. All services done on time. Both windows had to be reprogrammed by dealer because they were not self closing properly. Transmission getting stuck in limp mode causing me to turn off the car to reset the transmission. (Replaced bad transmission hardness). Whining noise over 3k rpms dealer said it's the ABC pump seal but it's (not leaking) so I am living with it. Jerky transmission and memory driver seat forgetting to adjust when turning off the car and opening the door. (ECU needed to be reflashed.) Both power steering and ABC pump lines split while driving out of my gated community causing serious smoke and no power steering.(Both lines replaced.) Car is now making a humming noise at 2k rpms so I have to take it in. I can't speak for everyone who owns a W216 but I wouldn't personally by another one. Coming from a BMW (very reliable) this been a major disappointment in reliability. I have spent about $10k in repairs in just over a year of ownership. I would recommend you to get either a more reliable class or a Lexus. I'm done with Mercedes in general.
WOW! thanks for the info. Would you say your car is just a fluke or are these common issues?
Where did you buy for your car from?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 PM

CL600
Also, when did you start to see this problems?
Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 AM

CL550
WOW! thanks for the info. Would you say your car is just a fluke or are these common issues?
Where did you buy for your car from?
A fluke? I think not. I have a neighbor who has a white 2008 Cl550 and his abc hoses went at 30k miles and he puts less than 5,000k miles a year on the thing. He also had to do a few other repairs he wouldn't mention. I purchased the car from Switchcars as a consignment. The previous owner purchased a Aston Martin from them and wanted to get rid of the CL. It's was the cleanest and lowest mileage 07 CL550 I found in the United States. I don't think every owner is going to take the time to list all the problems they have had with this car. Trust me the CL550 looks good but it's not reliable. Now it's up to if you still want to make the purchase. I warned you.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL600, SL600, Quattroporte, S/C Denali, Turbo M3, H1
Originally Posted by steveb9771
No significant differences for CL550 and CL600. CL63 and CL65 were not available in 2007. At some point in time, the separate switch to control the headlight washer was deleted and the shape of the power window switches was modified. Late in 2008, real time traffic display was added to the GPS, but this can be added to earlier models by a software upgrade for less than a couple of hundred dollars.
Do you know specifically what software upgrade needs to be done?
Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 PM

2007 CL550
Originally Posted by Bromaguire
Do you know specifically what software upgrade needs to be done?
The software upgrade is for the Comand system and brings it up to the latest version. Some dealers know about this and will do it, others are unfamiliar with this and will refuse to do it or say it can't be done.

As far as vehicle reliability, I have one of the first CL550s (Sept 2006 mfg date, original owner) and I have had no real issues. The only failure I have had was the rear window sun shade motor which was replaced under warranty. There were a couple of service bulletins that were incorporated as preventative measures (replaced potential noisy idler pulley, additional sealer in doors for corrosion prevention),
I had a very minor oil leak which was cured by replacing a valve cover bushing ($5.00 part) done under warranty. Car is only in the shop once per year for A/B service.

One MAJOR item to not overlook-- The transmission MUST be serviced at 39,000 miles-- Replace filters and fluid. Be sure any vehicle you are considering has had this done if it is over this mileage.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:51 PM

CL550
The software upgrade is for the Comand system and brings it up to the latest version. Some dealers know about this and will do it, others are unfamiliar with this and will refuse to do it or say it can't be done.

As far as vehicle reliability, I have one of the first CL550s (Sept 2006 mfg date, original owner) and I have had no real issues. The only failure I have had was the rear window sun shade motor which was replaced under warranty. There were a couple of service bulletins that were incorporated as preventative measures (replaced potential noisy idler pulley, additional sealer in doors for corrosion prevention),
I had a very minor oil leak which was cured by replacing a valve cover bushing ($5.00 part) done under warranty. Car is only in the shop once per year for A/B service.

One MAJOR item to not overlook-- The transmission MUST be serviced at 39,000 miles-- Replace filters and fluid. Be sure any vehicle you are considering has had this done if it is over this mileage.
Oh yeah, I replaced my noisy idler pulley twice. First time the dealer did it and 2nd time when the ABC hoses went. Steve, is this your daily driver?
Old 11-03-2012, 04:47 AM

2007 CL550
Oh yeah, I replaced my noisy idler pulley twice. First time the dealer did it and 2nd time when the ABC hoses went. Steve, is this your daily driver?
This is my only vehicle and is used daily.
The only real expenses I have had are tires and brakes.
I am in Southern California and have never paid over $150 for "A" service at local dealers.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 AM

CL550
This is my only vehicle and is used daily.
The only real expenses I have had are tires and brakes.
I am in Southern California and have never paid over $150 for "A" service at local dealers.
I would say you are lucky Steve. I test drove the Porsche Panamera and I am sold.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:11 PM

CL600

If the car in an 07 with 31k miles on it, would it be a good idea to do the service be early? Or its ok to do it when it hits 39k miles?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 PM

CL550
If the car in an 07 with 31k miles on it, would it be a good idea to do the service be early? Or its ok to do it when it hits 39k miles?
Do the service when it's due. You will receive a indication on the digital speedo.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:15 PM

CL600
Do the service when it's due. You will receive a indication on the digital speedo.
Thanks for all the info and help. I picked up an 09 blk / blk today.