CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

ran a CL63 on the highway with my 07 CL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by juicee63
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIaSzJyb08A

Funny looked like the 63 beat the shi* out of the 55 at the AMG challenge

..........what were the et and 1/4 trapspeeds for the E63 and E55?

Ted
Old 06-08-2007, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by jimand7
"e63's sit on the lot...e55's NEVER sat on a lot" a quote from a family member who owns a mercedes dealership who is in the top 10 in cali in sales volume.
Its funny, I was at the dealership earlier today and I was talking to my salesman about this beautiful black E63 they had on the showroom floor. I asked him how they're selling and he said that the E55 had MUCH better sales, they're having a hard time moving these 63's.

They also had a black CL63. It was still wrapped up and all. It did look gorgeous, that rear diffuser and front bumper really make it look fast. For the look alone, I could see someone getting a CL63 over the CL600. I just wish they made a CL600 with that bodykit, then it would be a no-brainer.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2023 Range rover 2022 RAM TRX (bad ass):) - 2023 911 Turbo 2019 Wrangler 2021 E63s Wagon
here is a crappy picture of both my e55 and cl600.
for the juice. the race did happen I know this is not a video of the race but it ticked me off that you said it did not happen at least here is proof of some of my equipment.
Attached Thumbnails ran a CL63 on the highway with my 07 CL600-twin-benz.jpg  
Old 06-08-2007, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
I am glad that I'm not the only one pointing out the importance of trapspeed in these races.
its all about trap speed to me
Old 06-08-2007, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
here is a crappy picture of both my e55 and cl600.
for the juice. the race did happen I know this is not a video of the race but it ticked me off that you said it did not happen at least here is proof of some of my equipment.
no need to provide these guys proof, you have nothing to prove. They even tried to "call me out" which is the funniest thing Ive heard of in a bit. The sad deal for them is that everytime they run down the track they keep backing up the real truth. its there plain as day.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:49 AM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Its funny, I was at the dealership earlier today and I was talking to my salesman about this beautiful black E63 they had on the showroom floor. I asked him how they're selling and he said that the E55 had MUCH better sales, they're having a hard time moving these 63's.
My $0.02 (and it's not even worth that )Although I'd say it's safe to say most spending $90k+ on a car wouldn't let $3.40+/- per gallon sway their purchase too much but when the E55 came out and for most of it's production, gas was about 30%-50% cheaper...gas guzzlers are not selling that well, no matter the market segment. If the E63 came out first it would have sold just as well and not just for the lower fuel costs.

Last edited by RJC; 06-08-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by bfnnrgn
Not to rain on your parade, but if you listened to the end you'd find the 55 had a lower ET and trapped higher.
I know.

but the result of the filmed race the E63 KILLED the 55. The announcer goes on to also say the CARS ARE CLOSE. Fact is the E63 traps higher and attains better times after several thousand miles and the times have already improved by .5 and 3 mph in trap making the car equal to the stock 55. The announcer points out traction and this is where the 63 has an advantage!

Video at the AMG challenge shows the 63 way out in front. right?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030

They also had a black CL63. It was still wrapped up and all. It did look gorgeous, that rear diffuser and front bumper really make it look fast. For the look alone, I could see someone getting a CL63 over the CL600. I just wish they made a CL600 with that bodykit, then it would be a no-brainer.
the economy sucks for cars right now gas is 1.00 per gallon higher. The E55 was an INCREDIBLE car when it came out., I rushed down and purchased one. You guys dont get it I LOVE THE 55. I also LOVE my AMG 63. The fact it is slow and the engine is a failure , I love it! Jimand, you fail to see my point. THE 63 was BRAND SPANKING NEW, whether the race happened or not matters not. The car was likely in the safest TCU program possible and was prolly featuring zero kickdown and in 7th gear much too quickly. Your cars are SIK and I would have no trouble driving either of em. It is your disdain with the 63 that boggles
Old 06-08-2007, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by E55JAY
no need to provide these guys proof, you have nothing to prove. They even tried to "call me out" which is the funniest thing Ive heard of in a bit. The sad deal for them is that everytime they run down the track they keep backing up the real truth. its there plain as day.
Your finally correct. The truth is there each time down the track. Precisely why we film our races. The truth is what you suggest and others suggest does not translate on the track when faced head to head with the 55. Why you would hate and garner support for a straw man comparo is beyond belief.

You are well respected here but comparing your times in your modded CL 600 to mine in my 63 is absolutely ridiculous. I made great progress and have really improved and to be kicked around on this board is not gonna change my dedication to the car and the track. When a 55 beats me , it will be fine, I wont drive my car into a tree because of it. I have a healthy respect for the AMG lineup, the folks that drive the brand and all the members here. I believe the 63 is very very close to the 55 in some cases a bit slower and in others a bit faster. It is not hard to see after watching 50 plus races and participating in likely over 10. If the 55 is truly blow the doors off faster it should beat the 63 everytime. It has not happened. All the races close, all of em. I own both cars and the 55 was great, the 63 has so much more than you guys recognize. You keep hating Jay, funny I was your biggest FAN! Now I hope your time is bested by Scott, Ben or Sam. They all could do it, and when it happens I wont be making fun of your car, your person or your accomplishments. Once again I have never encountered this type of hatred among people with same brand cars, on the track the 55 guys never are obtuse or disrespectful? Oh yeah wait the guys bashing me and my car are not 55 owners. Will you guys slow your roll when I post video of the 63 beating 55's? I am certain you will simply say "oh the driver sucks", LOL..Guess I will accept your position and move on as it is truly a waste of energy. Jimand my apologies to you and anyone else I offended here. I agree with alot of what you said but I cannot accept the huge disparity you and others claim between the 63 and the 55.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
I know.

but the result of the filmed race the E63 KILLED the 55. The announcer goes on to also say the CARS ARE CLOSE. Fact is the E63 traps higher and attains better times after several thousand miles and the times have already improved by .5 and 3 mph in trap making the car equal to the stock 55. The announcer points out traction and this is where the 63 has an advantage!

Video at the AMG challenge shows the 63 way out in front. right?
I fail to understand your logic here. The 63 got the jump from the go, the 55 got a late start. That is obvious. The 55 ran a lower time and at a higher trap speed yet somehow the 63 was faster? Seems backwards in my book.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
..........what were the et and 1/4 trapspeeds for the E63 and E55?

Ted
he said 12.5 for the 55 and 12.8 for the 63 most of the day the 55 trapped 3 mph faster most of the day. The video shows the 63 beating the 55 by a wide margin. The race comes down to the drivers cars are too close to say with a reasoned mind which one is faster.

The 55 at Irwindale in the 1/8th mile driven by Albert, on BFG was .1 and 1 mph slower than my CLS 63.

Albert if you read this I am not ******* you are your car just trying to point out to the membership here a 63 can match times to the 55. Sorry man.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
I fail to understand your logic here. The 63 got the jump from the go, the 55 got a late start. That is obvious. The 55 ran a lower time and at a higher trap speed yet somehow the 63 was faster? Seems backwards in my book.
well do you understand the 63 engine has no SUPER CHARGER?
do you understand a new 63 is much slower than a new 55?
do you understand an engine , TCU and ECU need to be taught to drive aggresively down a track?

In the race the 63 beats the 55, the announcer states the cars are very close. The 55 as the video shows displays delivers too much to the wheel and gets peppered by the 63, it was not a close race due to the traction loss. This is repeated at many tracks accross the Country . The 63 gets better traction because of the gearing. This gearing also can hurt the 63 in a close race. In a perfect run the 55 is likely .1-.2 faster in the 1/4 mile. That my friend is not "blow the doors off the 63" faster. It is a negligible margin. racing fellow 63's is just as scary as lining up a 55. At least with the 55 I know I can perhaps get him to slip. The 63 while perhaps a bit slower in straight away fly by's is likely quicker from 90-150 by about the same .1-.2 . I think there is a test to the limiter and the 63 indeed is faster.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 PM

2023 Range rover 2022 RAM TRX (bad ass):) - 2023 911 Turbo 2019 Wrangler 2021 E63s Wagon
he said 12.5 for the 55 and 12.8 for the 63 most of the day the 55 trapped 3 mph faster most of the day. The video shows the 63 beating the 55 by a wide margin. The race comes down to the drivers cars are too close to say with a reasoned mind which one is faster.

The 55 at Irwindale in the 1/8th mile driven by Albert, on BFG was .1 and 1 mph slower than my CLS 63.

Albert if you read this I am not ******* you are your car just trying to point out to the membership here a 63 can match times to the 55. Sorry man.
BUT the point of this thread is that the 63 engine is overmatched (compared to other engines) when mated to the S and CL bodies.the heavier the car, the more advantage a 55 engine or, and especially a 600 engine is going to have ..that is FACT.
I agree the 63 was brand new in the race my cl600 has 1500 miles on her. it was right on the virge of not being a close race either.
the e class is light enough where the horsepower of the 63 shines through my butt dyno tells me that my 55 is a few ticks faster through the quarter...but so WHAT that is not what this thread is stating in fact, the 55 engine is not even in a CLAMG car which is where this forum is.
amg's slower than non amg's in CL and S class
(excluding 65's)
Old 06-08-2007, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
BUT the point of this thread is that the 63 engine is overmatched (compared to other engines) when mated to the S and CL bodies.the heavier the car, the more advantage a 55 engine or, and especially a 600 engine is going to have ..that is FACT.
I agree the 63 was brand new in the race my cl600 has 1500 miles on her. it was right on the virge of not being a close race either.
the e class is light enough where the horsepower of the 63 shines through my butt dyno tells me that my 55 is a few ticks faster through the quarter...but so WHAT that is not what this thread is stating in fact, the 55 engine is not even in a CLAMG car which is where this forum is.
amg's slower than non amg's in CL and S class
(excluding 65's)
\
I know Bro, I am sorry I will stop wrecking the thread. I also apoligize to you I get a bit crazy over the 55 63 argument. The 63 engine in the big 140k plus car should be tuned for more torque and hp. The engine should be able to do much more for as BIG as it is. My mechanic says it is capable just with tuning to get to 550 hp, which would likely help the CL 63. The 55 is fast and awesome to drive so is the 63. If you are in California I would be happy to lien up your 55 and show you how close the cars are? Actually I would be willing to drive up to 1000 miles to prove my point. Jimand you are a cool dude and I appreciate the cars you own and your opinion , point is shared by me . I don't know how this thread turned into 55 vs 63 , guess I will start another thread.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by m_berman
Dealers say that CL65's (V12 Bi Turbo) are due out sometime in 08.
I saw a silver new shape CL65 in BH a fortnight ago.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
well do you understand the 63 engine has no SUPER CHARGER?
Obviously

do you understand a new 63 is much slower than a new 55?
So we've been told.

do you understand an engine , TCU and ECU need to be taught to drive aggresively down a track?
Yes

In the race the 63 beats the 55, the announcer states the cars are very close. The 55 as the video shows displays delivers too much to the wheel and gets peppered by the 63, it was not a close race due to the traction loss. This is repeated at many tracks accross the Country . The 63 gets better traction because of the gearing. This gearing also can hurt the 63 in a close race. In a perfect run the 55 is likely .1-.2 faster in the 1/4 mile. That my friend is not "blow the doors off the 63" faster. It is a negligible margin. racing fellow 63's is just as scary as lining up a 55. At least with the 55 I know I can perhaps get him to slip. The 63 while perhaps a bit slower in straight away fly by's is likely quicker from 90-150 by about the same .1-.2 . I think there is a test to the limiter and the 63 indeed is faster.
Here's where you're still incorrect. These are timed events, not who crosses the line first and not street races. Just like at a track the lap times tell what is the faster car, not who crosses the finish line first. You need to get nascar out of your head. In a timed event a car can sit at the light 10 seconds and still win. Perception might make you believe the 63 won as it crossed the line first. Reality is the 63 lost, not only did the 55 cross the same distance in a shorter time it was going faster when it did it. The 63 was the slower car. It's silly to even have to debate this.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
the car losing traction always traps higher. In a drag race the car crossing the line first is the FASTER CAR, the car ALWAYS gets the win light, reaction time and 60 ft time are much more critical to the 1/4 mile than ET and trap. You lose you lose so what if your car is faster. This would suggest the car losing the race trapping higher lost at the start. The pro drivers dont say " wow I lost but I trapped high" or "man i ran fast but I lost". A complete race is lower ET, higher trap and the win light. You need all three to lay claim to fastest car. The posted race the 55 lost to the 63, it likely trapped higher and this can be explained by the amount of wheelspin at the start of the race. The higher trap and better ET simply makes the E55 driver look bad. He lost. Funny I post a race where the 63 is several cars ahead and you guys still do not give the car any credit. What will be the excuses we see when my CLS 63 beats the CLS 55 @ SAC? or even stays real close? What if I trap higher? Will you say the 55 won but wow the 63 is faster because it trapped higher? Here is what needs to happen in any race to claim a win. So you guys likely think my CLS 63 lost to the E63 because of my time? I drove a better race and I got the light. Tommy has the faster car. Having the faster car is meaningless if you do not cut a good light.

1. Cross the 1/4 mile line first without red lighting

In an ET race

1. run closest to your dial time without running faster(break out)

In a drag race ET and trap will not advance you or earn you points, winning does and crossing the line first is #1 measure of who is faster.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Obviously

So we've been told.

Yes

Here's where you're still incorrect. These are timed events, not who crosses the line first and not street races. Just like at a track the lap times tell what is the faster car, not who crosses the finish line first. You need to get nascar out of your head. In a timed event a car can sit at the light 10 seconds and still win. Perception might make you believe the 63 won as it crossed the line first. Reality is the 63 lost, not only did the 55 cross the same distance in a shorter time it was going faster when it did it. The 63 was the slower car. It's silly to even have to debate this.

You are completely wrong.
The win light is awarded to the car crossing the line first period.
Its a race. So on the street when you race a car and beat it do you not understand he could travel from point a to point b faster than you?. A drag race is a measure of speed at many points down the track. Its silly allright because you are absolutely INCORRECT.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
[/I][/B]

You are completely wrong.
The win light is awarded to the car crossing the line first period.
Its a race. So on the street when you race a car and beat it do you not understand he could travel from point a to point b faster than you?. A drag race is a measure of speed at many points down the track. Its silly allright because you are absolutely INCORRECT.
It's not a street race. The 63 was slower. Spin it however you want to, but slower is slower. 12.8 is slower than 12.5 and 108 is slower than 110+ You want to have a street race and put some distance, great. You want to run the 1/4 and post higher times and lower trap speeds you can't claim your car is faster, because it's not. You might be able to launch better than the other guy, but your car isn't faster.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
the car losing traction always traps higher. In a drag race the car crossing the line first is the FASTER CAR, the car ALWAYS gets the win light, reaction time and 60 ft time are much more critical to the 1/4 mile than ET and trap. You lose you lose so what if your car is faster. This would suggest the car losing the race trapping higher lost at the start. The pro drivers dont say " wow I lost but I trapped high" or "man i ran fast but I lost". A complete race is lower ET, higher trap and the win light. You need all three to lay claim to fastest car. The posted race the 55 lost to the 63, it likely trapped higher and this can be explained by the amount of wheelspin at the start of the race. The higher trap and better ET simply makes the E55 driver look bad. He lost. Funny I post a race where the 63 is several cars ahead and you guys still do not give the car any credit. What will be the excuses we see when my CLS 63 beats the CLS 55 @ SAC? or even stays real close? What if I trap higher? Will you say the 55 won but wow the 63 is faster because it trapped higher? Here is what needs to happen in any race to claim a win. So you guys likely think my CLS 63 lost to the E63 because of my time? I drove a better race and I got the light. Tommy has the faster car. Having the faster car is meaningless if you do not cut a good light.

1. Cross the 1/4 mile line first without red lighting

In an ET race

1. run closest to your dial time without running faster(break out)

In a drag race ET and trap will not advance you or earn you points, winning does and crossing the line first is #1 measure of who is faster.
Dude, we are comparing how fast/quick the two cars are. Not how good the reaction time of the drivers are. Sorry, but your statements make absolutely no sense. We don't care if the E55 driver stood there for a full minute before launching. All that matters to us is the ET and Trap. Why? Because we are comparing the cars themselves, not the drivers.

Yes, the 63 driver won the drag race. But that don't mean **** to us because we are comparing cars and not the driver's reaction time.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance

you need to wipe the similac from your upper drag racing lip and respect people who have been doing this for over 15 years, on the track. You are in lala land.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Obviously

So we've been told.

Yes

Those two cars lined up together, they were not running for time, the filmed event the one I posted did you even see a time posted. I am certain the E63 in that race had a better ET than the E55. The 55 made up no ground and was beaten in ET and trap and time. The announcer goes on to through out what the cars did that day and yes he makes the staement the E55 was faster. My position is the E63 needs to be broken in due to lack of a super charger. Derek FSU ran a 13.0@108 and you guys shi*, he sold his car. The same car is running 12.4@114. Had the cars been side by side that would be a huge disparity going down the track. We have learned alot , the cars are getting faster and it is only a matter of cooler temps before you see a sub 12 and 118 trap. Mark my words it will happen!!
Old 06-08-2007, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
you need to wipe the similac from your upper drag racing lip and respect people who have been doing this for over 15 years, on the track. You are in lala land.

Sorry Jay , you could have a higher trap and lower ET and lose a race , that is a FACT.

If you dont care thats cool, I am just pointing it out to folks that may be new like me.

I have alot to learn but seeing a win light on my side means I ran a better race even if my car was bested in ET and trap.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Dude, we are comparing how fast/quick the two cars are. Not how good the reaction time of the drivers are. Sorry, but your statements make absolutely no sense. We don't care if the E55 driver stood there for a full minute before launching. All that matters to us is the ET and Trap. Why? Because we are comparing the cars themselves, not the drivers.

Yes, the 63 driver won the drag race. But that don't mean **** to us because we are comparing cars and not the driver's reaction time.

Oh ok. How will you do this comparison? The fuc* n cars are so close that the ONLY THING THAT MATTERS is how the Driver reacts. whether its a stop light a horn honk, a tree light, a countdown, How many times must I type it. WHO EVER GETS THE JUMP WINS no matter where this race happens. The E55 will not pull the E63 and the E63 will not PULL the 55.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
For me too. I dont go to the track so my runs are almost always from 60mph or something rolling where et is out. The only time I am worried is when I line up cause the 65 has too much wheelspin.

Trap speed tells me where I am in regards to power.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ran a CL63 on the highway with my 07 CL600