CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

New '08 CL65 for 12% off MSRP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:57 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
New '08 CL65 for 12% off MSRP?

See ebay listing.....Catena in NYC region has blk/blk, new '08 CL65 for buy-it-now price of $175K.....if true, 12% (or greater) disct smells fairly desperate when one of largest MB dealers in one of world's 2-3 wealthiest urban regions can't sell new, blk/blk 65s at/near MSRP....

Perhaps a datapoint of high-end consumer recession? Or is the codgerly, tacky quilted leather and wood steering wheel a non-starter for <75yo buyers and/or those w/semi-decent taste?....Or is this copy's mysterious lack of std Distronic/BrakeAssist (and presence of archaic, low-rent Parktronic "bulletholes") forcing greater disctg???

Makes scenario of '08 CL65 w/10-15K mis trading in for $100K in Fall08 seem rather plausible....if new 65s need >12% discts to sell, imagine the discts that a used 65 buyer will expect....

Given the travails of the real estate mkt, perhaps some developers in FL, etc should bundle a free new CL65 w/purchase of one of their unwanted houses/condos....help clear the mkt of both unwanted new 65s and real estate....
Old 01-10-2008, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Very interesting.........

But I am also glad they are dropping really fast in value because that makes these cars very affordable to a large new market within just a year or so of first sale date
Old 01-10-2008, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
WSH:

I think the economy has the most to do with it. Those other issues (distronic and parking sensors) are either negotiating points or really minor annoyances. Apparently, the interest in the car is not there at this point. I think from the cars standpoint (aside from the economy) the biggest detraction to the W216 CL65 is the carry-over powertrain. Not that I don't love the engine....but if I was going to drop $200K on a totally new model....I would want the powertrain to be an evolution over the last. Instead, the car weighs more with an admittedly better chasis. However, that by itself will not get the buyers to rush into the dealership.

Can you imagine Ferrari carrying over an engine from the predecessor model to the new model? No...Ferrari is always innovating and perfecting their technology in functional design, chasis, transmissions, engines and even quality of interiors. I think if MB is going to target the same market they should use the same tactics (the potential CL65 buyer is not comparing a Ferrari for this purchase, but they probably own one and respond well to the same ethos).

Tom
Old 01-10-2008, 01:36 PM
ieb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63 030 Blk/Blk
CL63's for sale

Last Sunday's Boston Globe listed 8 CL63's for sale at Herb Chambers, one of several MB dealers in the area.

I'm not sure that they have sold any since I bought mine in September!
Old 01-10-2008, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by ieb
Last Sunday's Boston Globe listed 8 CL63's for sale at Herb Chambers, one of several MB dealers in the area.

I'm not sure that they have sold any since I bought mine in September!
CL63s are easy to buy at low $130k in Chicago now.(MSRP in upper $140k)
Old 01-10-2008, 06:45 PM

Good evening absent, where is the best place to shop in the chicagoland area if you are looking for a hi perf Benz? Thank you, Rodbuster.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by rodbuster
Good evening absent, where is the best place to shop in the chicagoland area if you are looking for a hi perf Benz? Thank you, Rodbuster.
Fletcher is the most aggressive and they will go down in price to match anyone else.
Your local Naperville dealer is also pretty aggressive too.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
That is quiet a good price, 12% is great.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1953 Fiat Topolino
Where did it go? Sold?

As of 10 AM of Jan 11 I didn't see the Catena CL65 Ebay listing continued. When I saw it yesterday I was struck by the lack of Distronics Plus on this vehicle, hence the Park Assist via sensors on the bumpers. This was what WSH originally reported and it is somewhat strange to see it missing. There were no additional photos or options information on this particular car at the Ebay auction site. We have been told that all MY08 CL65 came loaded with all options as standard equipment. Edmunds says that only heated wheel an Ipod are options. MBUSA has no 'built your own' for the model. I assumed the '08 CL65 would be similar to '07/'08 S600 and the '08 S65, with all options as standard. Does anyone know why this car didn't have these features as standard? Is it a very early '08 that did not benefitted from the new policy of having all options as 'standard'? If so, could the list price been much less than the expected $198K and the reduction to $175K not as great? Z356
Old 01-11-2008, 03:02 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by Z356
As of 10 AM of Jan 11 I didn't see the Catena CL65 Ebay listing continued. When I saw it yesterday I was struck by the lack of Distronics Plus on this vehicle, hence the Park Assist via sensors on the bumpers. This was what WSH originally reported and it is somewhat strange to see it missing. There were no additional photos or options information on this particular car at the Ebay auction site. We have been told that all MY08 CL65 came loaded with all options as standard equipment. Edmunds says that only heated wheel an Ipod are options. MBUSA has no 'built your own' for the model. I assumed the '08 CL65 would be similar to '07/'08 S600 and the '08 S65, with all options as standard. Does anyone know why this car didn't have these features as standard? Is it a very early '08 that did not benefitted from the new policy of having all options as 'standard'? If so, could the list price been much less than the expected $198K and the reduction to $175K not as great? Z356
My guess would be that it was some kind of 'launch edition' of the new body CL65. The low price could have more reasons: First, the missing features itself and second, the time the dealer is already trying to sell this car. I assume the dealer has this car on his lot for quite a while - if not, he might try to sell it at MSRP or only slightly below.

I recall from earlier threads that it happened before (i.e. on the previous CL-model) that standard-features - in that particular case, the ventilated seats, weren't included. It was some sort of 'pre-production' car. MB sells those cars as well but they have to indicate the fact that it's a pre-production model. Other CL65s I've seen so far do have Distronic as a standard feature so I guess this must be an early production exemption..
Old 01-11-2008, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Originally Posted by FloridaE55
My guess would be that it was some kind of 'launch edition' of the new body CL65. The low price could have more reasons: First, the missing features itself and second, the time the dealer is already trying to sell this car. I assume the dealer has this car on his lot for quite a while - if not, he might try to sell it at MSRP or only slightly below.

I recall from earlier threads that it happened before (i.e. on the previous CL-model) that standard-features - in that particular case, the ventilated seats, weren't included. It was some sort of 'pre-production' car. MB sells those cars as well but they have to indicate the fact that it's a pre-production model. Other CL65s I've seen so far do have Distronic as a standard feature so I guess this must be an early production exemption..
Oh no, not again. The story you are referring to was originated from that same dealership where someone bought a pre-production CL and got a run-around about it. Claims they sold him a car where the VIN didn't match the paperwork. I'd stay totally away from this dealership from what I've been reading. Or at least take a lawyer with you to go over every step of the transaction.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:10 PM

Something on 4 wheels..
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Oh no, not again. The story you are referring to was originated from that same dealership where someone bought a pre-production CL and got a run-around about it. Claims they sold him a car where the VIN didn't match the paperwork. I'd stay totally away from this dealership from what I've been reading. Or at least take a lawyer with you to go over every step of the transaction.
Oh, you are absolutely right - now that you mentioned it, I realized that it is in fact the same dealership. I wasn't aware of that when I posted my previous comment..

Something tells me that this is NOT a coincidence..

Since the listing disappeared, I'm not sure if they mentioned the lack of Distronic and the strange thing about the Parktronic-holes.

I can only agree to stay away from this dealership - especially when purchasing a 65.

Last edited by FloridaE55; 01-11-2008 at 08:24 PM.