CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

ABC ACTIVE BODY CONTROL DRIVE CAREFULLY??

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CL63 AMG 2003 cl55 amg SOLD
ABC ACTIVE BODY CONTROL DRIVE CAREFULLY??

I TOOK MY 03 CL55 TO A LOCAL AUTO REPAIR TO REPLACE BOTH ENGINE MOUNTS AND REAR FLEX DISC.THEY HAD TO TAKE THE EXHAUST OUT AND POWER STEERING AND PUT IT BACK ON.AFTER DONE THEY TURNED THE CAR ON A MESSAGE CAME ON SAYING ABC ACTIVE BODY CONTROL DRIVE CAREFULLY ??I HAVE NO IDEA WHY.I LEFT MY CAR THERE AND TOLD THEM TO FIX IT SINCE I NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE
Old 01-21-2009, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I hope they did not grenade your ABC pump. I'm sure they will try to squirm out of paying that $3000 repair bill.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Most likely they haven't bleed the power steering and ABC suspension system (same pump) so there is an air lock.

Make sure they use genuine oil for both the ABC and PS systems as anything else will cuase damage.

Either way, you don't need to R/R the steering pump to change the engine mounts.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:53 PM

2008 CL63 AMG 2003 cl55 amg SOLD
Smile thanks guys i fixed the problem

it was the oil not enough thanks guys
Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 S550 AMG with ABC
As much as I love the ABC in my car, It seems like Mercedes needs to get with the program and switch to a more modern system that uses electro magnetics..

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...agnetic-motors
Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
Originally Posted by irieblue
As much as I love the ABC in my car, It seems like Mercedes needs to get with the program and switch to a more modern system that uses electro magnetics..

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...agnetic-motors
I disagree, my S600 has the best ride combined with road holding of any cars
I have owned from Jaguar,BMW,Audi, Bentley etc.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Apart that is for a small leak, so sometimes it says ABC drive carefully.
Then I just top up the reservoir which lasts a few months, will fix it when I
have some spare cash.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Originally Posted by sound 8
Apart that is for a small leak, so sometimes it says ABC drive carefully.
Then I just top up the reservoir which lasts a few months, will fix it when I
have some spare cash.
That is ridiculous. The car does not have a sensor that measures the amount of hydraulic fluid in the ABC reservoir, and your "ABC Drive Carefully" message comes on for a specific reason - the system pressure is dropping below acceptable range due to low amount of fluid, which in turn is murdering your ABC pump every second that you run it.

ABC is a closed system - you don't need to add additional fluid to it, unless there are leaks. If there are leaks you have to fix the leak, not keep adding fluid every few months...
Old 01-28-2009, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Oxygen
That is ridiculous. The car does not have a sensor that measures the amount of hydraulic fluid in the ABC reservoir, and your "ABC Drive Carefully" message comes on for a specific reason - the system pressure is dropping below acceptable range due to low amount of fluid, which in turn is murdering your ABC pump every second that you run it.

ABC is a closed system - you don't need to add additional fluid to it, unless there are leaks. If there are leaks you have to fix the leak, not keep adding fluid every few months...
Ding, ding, ding, ding....we have another winner! Good advice!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry have to disagree. If it's a sealed system then you will not be able to top up the oil. I was told by Mercedes that the warning comes on when the oil is low, as it would with brake fluid, washer fluid etc.There is a reservoir for
ABC fluid which has a dip stick. When you add oil it also clears all warnings
without a visit to a dealer, so it must bleed itself as well.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Sorry have to disagree. If it's a sealed system then you will not be able to top up the oil. I was told by Mercedes that the warning comes on when the oil is low, as it would with brake fluid, washer fluid etc.There is a reservoir for
ABC fluid which has a dip stick. When you add oil it also clears all warnings
without a visit to a dealer, so it must bleed itself as well.
You are living in fantasy land my friend.

I know about the reservoir, the dipstick, etc.. what I meant by a sealed system is that no fluid is "used" or "escapes" while the system is used, so there is no need to fill it up as you would other fluids in your car, unless it was leaking, which it is, which is bad.

That leaky hose might just bust open one day spraying hot hydraulic oil at your engine bay at 3000psi... that will be a fun clean up!

The system does not bleed itself either, I don't know where you got that idea from.

When doing a fluid flush you also change the filter and run "The Rodeo"...

Here is a video my car after I performed ABC service on it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkRvV2iWZZw&fmt=6
Old 01-29-2009, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are living in fantasy land my friend.

I know about the reservoir, the dipstick, etc.. what I meant by a sealed system is that no fluid is "used" or "escapes" while the system is used, so there is no need to fill it up as you would other fluids in your car, unless it was leaking, which it is, which is bad.

That leaky hose might just bust open one day spraying hot hydraulic oil at your engine bay at 3000psi... that will be a fun clean up!

The system does not bleed itself either, I don't know where you got that idea from.

Here is a video my car after I performed ABC service on it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkRvV2iWZZw&fmt=6
Thanks for your concern, but I just can't afford to spend a grand at this present
credit crisis time, so I will have to top it up until funds become available.
I also have a problem with my SL55 with a tank noise, which also needs a
grand to fix.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
If you can't afford $1000 to fix one of the most important systems on your car, why did you buy a range topper Mercedes in the first place.

This stuff kind of annoys me. Just because the used prices have fallen doesn't mean you shouldn't service it like a $180,000 car.

Just means less good cars for those looking for one.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Oliverk
If you can't afford $1000 to fix one of the most important systems on your car, why did you buy a range topper Mercedes in the first place.

This stuff kind of annoys me. Just because the used prices have fallen doesn't mean you shouldn't service it like a $180,000 car.

Just means less good cars for those looking for one.
We all go through periods where cash is short, with bills to pay and a slow down in business this is how it's going to be. It does not matter how much a car is new if money is tight it will have to wait. When it does get fixed it will be by Mercedes and not some back street garage.I certainly do not plan to sell it so don't worry.
Please have a little compassion.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
We all go through periods where cash is short, with bills to pay and a slow down in business this is how it's going to be. It does not matter how much a car is new if money is tight it will have to wait. When it does get fixed it will be by Mercedes and not some back street garage.I certainly do not plan to sell it so don't worry.
Please have a little compassion.
I simply can't have compassion in this case. Either you knew what you were getting into repair cost wise, and now are ignoring repairs, which is not prudent, or you had no clue when you bought it, which is also never prudent.

While I understand money is tight, should you really own such a car if you can't spare $1,000 to fix one of the most important parts of the car?

I don't know...
Old 01-31-2009, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Oliverk
I simply can't have compassion in this case. Either you knew what you were getting into repair cost wise, and now are ignoring repairs, which is not prudent, or you had no clue when you bought it, which is also never prudent.

While I understand money is tight, should you really own such a car if you can't spare $1,000 to fix one of the most important parts of the car?

I don't know...
Sorry you don't get it, my business goes up and down according to the time of year, I simply don't have a grand to spare.Come February/March money will not be a problem. The guy at Mercedes said it's a small weep, if the ABC
warning comes on just top it up for now. I carry spare oil in my boot in case
it happens on a journey. This problem is with my S600 and was certainly not there when I bought it over a year ago. I don't know quite how to take
" should you really own such a car" I promise I won't get angry though, I can take it.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:40 AM

cl 500
need help
ABC ACTIVE BODY CONTROL DRIVE CAREFULLY msg came on . i took it to the shop they told me the sensor is bad . they also said i can drive it till they get the sensor . few daays later i found hydraulic oil leaked out under the car i think all of the oil leaked
Old 07-12-2009, 02:42 AM

cl 500
ABC ACTIVE BODY CONTROL DRIVE CAREFULLY

ABC ACTIVE BODY CONTROL DRIVE CAREFULLY msg came on . i took it to the shop they told me the sensor is bad . they also said i can drive it till they get the sensor . few daays later i found hydraulic oil leaked out under the car i think all of the oil leaked
Old 07-16-2009, 01:16 PM

Yugos only
The extended warranty (100k mile) was included as part of the deal when I bought the car.

I hope the ABC system is covered since it is part of the suspension.

I think many of the cars now for sale have probably had maintenance neglected so caveat emptor!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:44 PM

sl500, bentley GT, 911 cab, 1947 lincoln continental cabriolet
cl600 abc leaking -location of likely failure

My 2002 cl600 just gave me the "ABC Drive Carefully" message. Added 1 litre of proper fluid and drove it and light went off. However, lots of fluid leaking from left front just rear of wheel well. Any idea of what component is leaking based on location. I want to appear somewhat knowledgeable when I take it into the shop

You are living in fantasy land my friend I know about the reservoir, the dipstick, etc.. what I meant by a sealed system is that no fluid is "used" or "escapes" while the system is used, so there is no need to fill it up as you would other fluids in your car, unless it was leaking, which it is, which is bad.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CL600 2003
Front valve block or the front accumulator area, could be the valve block, or a hose that connects to the valve block
Old 06-01-2012, 08:20 PM

Thanks, do you know where the pump is located --- I think that is the most expensive repair.

quote=slonar21;5222019]Front valve block or the front accumulator area, could be the valve block, or a hose that connects to the valve block[/quote]
Old 06-01-2012, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It will become much more expensive if you keep driving the car. I would park it immediately and have it towed to a repair shop or fix yourself but do not drive. If you run the pump dry, it will send tiny bits of metal through your system and clog your struts and control blocks.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S55K AMG
If you have fluid leaking in the front left wheel, there is a good chance your pump is leaking, which is located there. A valve block will not leak externally, just internally, causing the car to lower after being parked. I would bet that if any of the cars in question were hooked up to star, you would find your abc pressure low. Be prepared to drop some cash, cause the minute the red light comes on, your pump is done and the car will drive like a tuna boat.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:23 AM

I don't know what a tuna boat drives like but car was rocking up and down while driving home. Fluid was low , then drove normally after filling with fluid but is leaking fast. Being towed to shop Monday. Any chance of rebuilt pump if that is the problem or do I just suck it up? Car is not lowering or leaning. Thanks to all for opinions. Does anyone know where high pressure hose is located that is under recall? Mine was replaced under recall once.

Originally Posted by boost420
If you have fluid leaking in the front left wheel, there is a good chance your pump is leaking, which is located there. A valve block will not leak externally, just internally, causing the car to lower after being parked. I would bet that if any of the cars in question were hooked up to star, you would find your abc pressure low. Be prepared to drop some cash, cause the minute the red light comes on, your pump is done and the car will drive like a tuna boat.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: ABC ACTIVE BODY CONTROL DRIVE CAREFULLY??