CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CEL after setting up dyno mode on cl65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL65 AMG, RS6
CEL after setting up dyno mode on cl65

I followed directions, only one hitch, I was not on odometer when I initiated process, I had sat radio on screen...set up, car was in dyno, but I kept getting flashing messages that abs, etc was disabled...I did not driver car, started her up, went to move my other car and when I came back she was shut down.
I have a plx kiwi device with dash command and 7 codes showed up, but as the plx likes to do often, I lost wifi connection, and I could not read codes, assuming I could clear them as well and the cel would go away. Anyone heard of this? Did I screw something up?
TIA
Old 05-12-2011, 11:18 AM

CL65 AMG, RS6
update, never drove car in dyno mode(yet), reset back to normal, finally got a better app to read codes, misfire 7-12, and p0300!!! I just had the coilpack replaced 3 weeks ago. Funny thing is car runs great, no rough idle etc. I erased code, i am sure it will pop back up, and dealership guaranteed work.
Do these coil packs fail so often? I read another thread about a damaged CAT causing this issue.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by Speedtrapped
update, never drove car in dyno mode(yet), reset back to normal, finally got a better app to read codes, misfire 7-12, and p0300!!! I just had the coilpack replaced 3 weeks ago. Funny thing is car runs great, no rough idle etc. I erased code, i am sure it will pop back up, and dealership guaranteed work.
Do these coil packs fail so often? I read another thread about a damaged CAT causing this issue.
Stephen, whats up it's Jody. Bought the IC pump from you.

your problem sounds like a bad coild pack, I have heard stories of packs going bad after 300 miles. , As you mentioned the good thing is the work is guaranteed by the delaer, If I were you I would leave the codes next time they pop up. The only way I think they will come back up is under heavy load, drive her hard and see if they come up if not you may be ok.

Could you have gone lean or rich on that bank side? Just guessing. Hope your problems are fixed bro.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:45 AM

CL65 AMG, RS6
Hi Jody....well as luck would have it codes came back, I read em and left them for dealership. Car was dropped off Saturday. I am suprised that they go bad so quick, no wonder resale value on these cars is low....dont get me wrong I really enjoy the car, but the design of full sided packs that can malfunction after a little use is nuts.....Unless ofcourse there is a bigger issue involved that is not diagnosed. Cant wait to see your finished car Jody...btw, I may have found a 2 mile airstrip in monmouth county where you can bring that beast for time trials etc...
Old 05-16-2011, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by Speedtrapped
Hi Jody....well as luck would have it codes came back, I read em and left them for dealership. Car was dropped off Saturday. I am suprised that they go bad so quick, no wonder resale value on these cars is low....dont get me wrong I really enjoy the car, but the design of full sided packs that can malfunction after a little use is nuts.....Unless ofcourse there is a bigger issue involved that is not diagnosed. Cant wait to see your finished car Jody...btw, I may have found a 2 mile airstrip in monmouth county where you can bring that beast for time trials etc...
Agreed. My tech and I were talking about this and we may take on this little project on my car later down the road. It is such a poor design. I just bought 2 for my car and I pray they dont go bad. I have warranty for 1 year on them though. Talk about stealership.

My car is done, she pulls like a freight train up to 6k, now the fun begins, tuning as she is running rich as rich can get. above 6K rpms she hits below 9's A/F. The strip sounds like a great idea, once I get her dialed in, I will contact you.

Hope all is well with your car.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML63
My friend is having the same issues he bought a rebuilt coil pack off ebay and replaced his old one but still has the CEL codes of misfires on left side. wonder if he got a bad coil pack or if the cat on that side is bad. car idles a little rough.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:17 PM

CL65 AMG, RS6
i spoke with service dept today....checked plugs, fine, regapped....ordered a new ignition control module to see if that is the issue....I told him better be warranted, he said should be. They do not think its the new coil pack...we shall see.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
I had both coil packs replaced last yr, then one went a second time, within days. It was replaced and the ignition module at the same time, no problems since. I make it a point not to do alot of WOT if I'm in stop and go driving mid summer when we have our 95-100 degree heat wave days in NY. With theses cars there is so much heat and no where for it to go, you can feel it pouring out from around the wheels as you walk past the car (after a ride) as it idles. Also I was told this part has been redesigned a few times due the the repeated failure. So maybe there is a way to see if the newest is a different part number or other markings, black instead of grey? Date? don't know... Supposedly they have it right now, I guess we will see.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:07 PM

CL65 AMG, RS6
Ty for the feedback.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:43 PM

ML63
ignition control module thats the one in the center correct. I we were going to pull the exhaust off to check cat maybe he should replace module? right after replacing coil the CEL came on at idle so the problem was or still is there.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:51 PM

CL65 AMG, RS6
Yes that's the IM, I will let ya know what tech says tomorrow. If it solves problem then def.any idea how much this device cost?
Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
I find it hard to believe its the ignition control module. If it was that it would throw random or multiple misfire codes on both Cylinders, but who knows, these things are so sensitive. If not mistaken the module goes for like 700-780 beans, less than the coil pack but still...money is money. I do hope this gets sorted out,

In my EV12 we moved turbos down to almost middle of the car...., heat will not be an issue, if anything that motor will run cold as Ice.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:05 AM

ML63
so V12 your thinking it might be the CAT on the left side or he just bought another bad rebuilt coil pack?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by Roverron
so V12 your thinking it might be the CAT on the left side or he just bought another bad rebuilt coil pack?
I dont think it's the CAT or he would have gotten some defficiency code on right or left side...it is so tough to diagnose misfire codes sometimes when it comes to these 3 items, it's like the IRS, when you owe the federal money, the state is right behind you to collect their piece of the pie as well. That's why if both packs go bad, the Ign. module is right to follow.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by Roverron
My friend is having the same issues he bought a rebuilt coil pack off ebay and replaced his old one but still has the CEL codes of misfires on left side. wonder if he got a bad coil pack or if the cat on that side is bad. car idles a little rough.
Rebuilt packs are a hit or miss...I would never buy them. I would stick to OEM in this department.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:48 PM

CL65 AMG, RS6
Jody, I wont be paying for it, and I agree with you, why not the other side?.....such a bad location for high voltage part, like sticking in an oven. I am curious if that was really the problem, funny another member here asked me if my cl65 was in good health, after a eurocharged flash, stage1 my car in my IMO didnt really feel any stronger, and there was still gas pedal lag, which jerrys tune is suppossed to ileminate. We are going to flash back to stock, after repair and drive car for a month that way.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 PM

CL65 AMG, RS6
Coil packs replaced were brand new, done at dealership....they replaced ignition control module today, and no codes or misfires but they want to keep for day and drive hard to see if codes coke back, no cost to me, $100 deductible
Old 05-17-2011, 06:42 PM

ML63
nice glad to see you are some what back on the road. so before taking to dealership you only had mis fires on left side. then after going to dealership they replaced coil pack again and ignition module.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 PM

CL65 AMG, RS6
Yes sir I will have car back tomorrow night, give u some feedback
Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 PM

ML63
any update yet? did they tell you the root of the problem?
Old 05-19-2011, 02:05 PM

CL65 AMG, RS6
Ignition control module culprit to coil pack codes...dealership dropped car off this am, I have not driven it yet. But they did for almost 2 days, "drives great and no codes"...I will be home late tonight, so tomorrow i will be pushing her.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:44 PM

ML63
Thank You for info and updates.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:16 PM

CL65 AMG, RS6
Np, I drove her today for about hour. She drives great. I am currently flashing back to stock. I have speedrivens block tuner, and plan on flashing this weekend. My hope is to dyno stock, then marcin's. To be fair, I will flash jerry's tune and dyno and compare. I love eurocharged and what Jerry did for my Audi. I just wasn't happy with my flash. Who knows to be fair, it could of been the ICM, but even as I was driving today the pedal still had lag, which I was told was supposed to be changed in the tune.