CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Looking for some assistance for mods on my new Cl55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl55 amg
Looking for some assistance for mods on my new Cl55

Hi Everyone:

I just got my new Cl 55 and I was wondering what kind of mod I should do on it to make it look nicer/ increase performance.

I bought it with 48k miles and so far I have been loving it, the only complaint i have for the car is the brakes, which seem to me I have to press too hard on it to stop the car and the black wheels which the previous owner had, which in my opinion does not really match my body (I have a silver body).

Yea As I said in my title I am looking for some suggestion
possible mods in my mind currently are to paint the calipers and maybe change the exhaust for a meatier sound, but I am looking forward to hear any suggestions from you guys

Thanks
Old 08-10-2011, 02:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
Alert! Many of the active posters around here are performance NUTS. They will be talking to you about a new supercharger pulley to increase the boost and mods related to cooling the engine, including a water tank in the trunk they fill with ice for timed runs, just for starters. They also like to powder coat anything that they can get to come off the car.

I say this because your focus seems to be cosmetic at the moment. I'm with you on the black wheels. That's just too boy racer for me. These cars are so sophisticated, I hate seeing them ricerized. And the truth is, the computer systems and engineering is so sophisticated and integrated that it's pretty tricky to "improve" something that doesn't cause unintended adverse consequences.

As for your brakes, something might be wrong there. Mine stops so easily and quickly it is rather shocking.

So good luck, and welcome.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
What year is your CL? If it is an '02 or earlier, then it's about as fast as it will get. If it's an '03 or later, then the pulley/tune route that JHouse mentioned is your best bet. This will increase boost out of the supercharger.

As for the wheels, you can normally get them repainted silver. I have had very good luck with this company, and they have local franchises all over the country: http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/
The price is generally about $100 per wheel, sometimes less, to repaint. If you want new wheels, you can check the Wheels Classifieds forum here, or find new ones online. One key thing you need to look at then is the correct offset and you want staggered wheels, with a wider rear tire.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
I would say he has an 02 or earlier based on the braking description. Either that or the brakes on the 03+ are shot
Old 08-10-2011, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
Forgot about that. Sounds like you need them bled, at least. That should firm them up.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:11 AM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
The owner's manual will tell you a LOT of information, including the correct wheel/tire size and offset/etc. It's about 418 pages long. And and lot of the info is NOT intuitive, and the car will drive you nuts if you don't know how to set it up to your liking. It ain't like jumping in a Chevy. If you don't have it you can download one for a very few bucks. I did it just a couple of weeks ago.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 AM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
I bought a set of wheels from this forum sponsor for my CLK and they looked darned good. They are imitations of OEM wheels, and they are CHEAP.

http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...-Mercedes-Benz
Old 08-10-2011, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
post some pictures, it will be easier to point out on what kind of mods to suggest.

Personally I would start with wheels and a drop. Personally I prefer DPE's or HRE's.
CF front lip from Euroteck (ask Neal he is a great guy)
swap your sidemarkers with clear/smoked/etc...
paint your grill
upgrade your parking lights from that ugly halogen yellow to LEDs
upgrade your fogs to HIDs
tints, including taillights
etcetc I can go on and on and on...and this is just cosmetics too...
Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by JHouse
Alert! Many of the active posters around here are performance NUTS. They will be talking to you about a new supercharger pulley to increase the boost and mods related to cooling the engine, including a water tank in the trunk they fill with ice for timed runs, just for starters. They also like to powder coat anything that they can get to come off the car.

I say this because your focus seems to be cosmetic at the moment. I'm with you on the black wheels. That's just too boy racer for me. These cars are so sophisticated, I hate seeing them ricerized. And the truth is, the computer systems and engineering is so sophisticated and integrated that it's pretty tricky to "improve" something that doesn't cause unintended adverse consequences.

As for your brakes, something might be wrong there. Mine stops so easily and quickly it is rather shocking.

So good luck, and welcome.

Sell the ricer wheels.
Get some stock AMG wheels either 18 or 19" staggered and debadge the car.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl55 amg
Thanks everyone for your insights, I will try to sell my wheels and change to new ones(really love the website suggestion); however, the main concern right now is really my breaks, which is really bothering me (I have a 04 model). Also, I was wondering is it safe to Paint my calipers as I would probably be doing that first since it is the most convenient, easiest aesthetic mod for me to do myself since I am a novice.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by incredibowl
Thanks everyone for your insights, I will try to sell my wheels and change to new ones(really love the website suggestion); however, the main concern right now is really my breaks, which is really bothering me (I have a 04 model). Also, I was wondering is it safe to Paint my calipers as I would probably be doing that first since it is the most convenient, easiest aesthetic mod for me to do myself since I am a novice.
I don't understand...why are you so worried about the color of your brake calipers? Leave them the stock gray for now, unless the previous owner painted them pink or something...

Without the proper set of wheels, having colored calipers is meaningless...and a bit ricey especially on stock cars IMHO.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Also, if you want "meatier" exhaust sound, go to your nearest muffler shop and remove your resonators. Its a cheaper alternative to blowing 3g+ on a whole new exhaust setup. It cost me about $60 and the difference in sound is amazing. You can also remove your secondary cats. I highly recommend removing the resonators.

As for the brakes not grabbing...sorry I can't help you there but I can tell you that's not normal (lol). Might wanna check up on that.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:25 PM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
yes I slap have an 04 and it's hard to keep my eyeballs off of the windshield. the good news is that ace brake pads are incredibly easy to switch
Old 08-10-2011, 10:28 PM

2014 CLS 550 & 2004 CL55
these brake pads, not ace - voice recognition sucks
Old 08-13-2011, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450
If the brake pedal is squishy and the brakes don't grab, you have air and/or water in the brake line. You need to bleed them. You can get bleed screws, bleed pumps, a buddy and do it by hand, or take it to a shop. This will fix 90% of any brake power issues.

You can also try re-bedding the brakes, but this is unlikely to help (this is mostly for squeaky brakes). Get on the highway and ride the brakes and gas for a few hundred yards. Then, with no traffic around you, do some rapid decelerations from 65 mph to 45 or so. This will help scrub crap off the rotors and get a better contact between the rotor and pad.

If that doesn't work, your master brake cylinder is probably shot. This is rare on a Benz.

Once you get that done, increasing performance on an '04 is easy. Pulley and tune.