CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

ABC Leaking out the top of reservoir Cap/dipstick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
ABC Leaking out the top of reservoir Cap/dipstick

So I got home today and parked the car in the alley because my brother was parked on my driveway. We BS'd for a bit and he left. I went to my car and noticed a huge puddle infront of the drivers side front wheel. I opened the hood thinking my new pump just crapped itself. I then noticed the fluid was coming out of the reservoir around the cap and the dipstick. The cap was a little loose but the dipstick was pushed out. I don't know if they put too much fluid in the system, or it burped out, or because I am lowered via module that it changes the volume of the system or its because the weather here is finally getting warm.

The car didn't sag nor did I get the dreaded red warning. I started the car and lifted it up via the button on the dash and everything looks good. I washed it out and went for a long drive. I popped the hood and it wasn`t leaking anymore. Has this ever happened to anyone of you?

R.K.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:04 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
04 CL55, 05 E500S4, 15 BMW i3 REx
How much fluid does the dipstick now show?
Old 05-29-2012, 09:14 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by OCKlasse
This. It should overflow only if overfilled or abc pump malfunctions and fluid is pushed past valve blOcks and pump back into the res (the car will sag in this case).

My vote is they overfilled the res as there are two marks on the dipstick- one for hot and engine running and one for cold and engine off. Marks are in German only.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by OCKlasse
Originally Posted by alx
This. It should overflow only if overfilled or abc pump malfunctions and fluid is pushed past valve blOcks and pump back into the res (the car will sag in this case).

My vote is they overfilled the res as there are two marks on the dipstick- one for hot and engine running and one for cold and engine off. Marks are in German only.
When the cars engine was hot the level was about 1/8-1/4" above the last indication marker at the top. That was after the fluid already leaked out.

I drove the car this morning to work (0.5hr drive) and when I got to the parkade I popped the hood to make sure there was no leakage which there wasn't any. Also this morning before I drove the car, the car didn't sag nor was there any fluid on the ground. I'm hoping its just an isolated incident.

R.K.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BTW I was checking the levels with the car not running if that makes a difference.

R.K.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by radride
When the cars engine was hot the level was about 1/8-1/4" above the last indication marker at the top. That was after the fluid already leaked out.
i think you have your answer right there...
Old 05-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
There is a small weep hole in the combined ABC cap/dip stick. If you look you will see it, about the size of a ball point pen tip.

Sounds like you were over filled or had air in the system that was back pressuring the reservoir. Keep and eye on it.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430 Coupe
Leaky abc cap on 03 cl55 amg

Originally Posted by radride
So I got home today and parked the car in the alley because my brother was parked on my driveway. We BS'd for a bit and he left. I went to my car and noticed a huge puddle infront of the drivers side front wheel. I opened the hood thinking my new pump just crapped itself. I then noticed the fluid was coming out of the reservoir around the cap and the dipstick. The cap was a little loose but the dipstick was pushed out. I don't know if they put too much fluid in the system, or it burped out, or because I am lowered via module that it changes the volume of the system or its because the weather here is finally getting warm.

The car didn't sag nor did I get the dreaded red warning. I started the car and lifted it up via the button on the dash and everything looks good. I washed it out and went for a long drive. I popped the hood and it wasn`t leaking anymore. Has this ever happened to anyone of you?

R.K.
Yes, I bought my cl55 amg 3 years ago and it was leaking then, I changed my fluid and filter twice and it continues to leak, it just doesn't sit right on the reservoir, the power steer cap is the same but it does not leak. I'm looki g for a replacement cap now.