CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Vibration from Gearbox?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
Vibration from Gearbox?

Hi Guys, i have a strange Vibration issue with my 03 CL55 AMG Kompressor.
I noticed the issue began approx early 2015, especially on long highway trips where i was driving around 2000RPM all the time... Well, at 2000RPm the drone/vibration is really extremely strong, then from 2100RPM till approx 3000RPM its almost gone and at 3100RPM its back as strong as it is at 2000RPM, but "faster" in the "waves" you feel.
You can feel these vibrations in the entire car. I thought at first that this might be having something to do with the almost worn rear tires, but today i got into the car, which is until April 01 in winter-sleep mode and therefor not registered, and even while standing still it creates those vibrations.
These Vibrations are especially strong in the center console near the shifter console i think.
So i climbed into the engine bay and let someone rev up the engine to those vibration RPMs and the engine does only veery mildly vibrate, however as i put my hands behind the engine down to the gearbox bellhousing, the vibration was much stronger there.

Maybe thats a Torque Converter failure? Engine and Gearbox Mounts are no 15.000KM old and were from Lemförder in best quality...

Your ideas?
Old 02-29-2016, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 329 Likes on 266 Posts
2006 S600
Tough one.
Does it depend on engine speed rather than road speed?
Have you checked the transmission oil level?
Could the front pulley be loose?
Are there any diagnostic trouble codes?
Torque converters themselves have particular failure symptoms which I can't remember, but I thiiiink this is different.
Maybe you could inspect the torque convertor mountings, by looking through the plastic-covered access hole at the front of the bell-housing?

Nick

Last edited by Welwynnick; 02-29-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
If you are certain your mounts are good and the vibration is happening in park like you said, I'd take off the accessory drive belt and try it again just to take out the possibility it is from any accessory driven by the belt. If that doesn't change it then it doesn't leave any easy possibilities unless your exhaust is rubbing on the chassis somewhere.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
C215 CL55 AMG, W124 500E, W210 E430, W124 300E
Originally Posted by Welwynnick
Tough one.
Does it depend on engine speed rather than road speed?
Have you checked the transmission oil level?
Could the front pulley be loose?
Are there any diagnostic trouble codes?
Torque converters themselves have particular failure symptoms which I can't remember, but I thiiiink this is different.
Maybe you could inspect the torque convertor mountings, by looking through the plastic-covered access hole at the front of the bell-housing?

Nick
Yes it is, like i found out recently, totally engine speed dependent. around 2000RPM and 3000RPM whole car vibrates inside, even the speedometer and the ash tray starts to rattle. I also thought about the harmonic balancer first, but it looks "ok" there is just veeeeery mild wobble, i seen worse here in there forums in the W211 AMG section.
However that recently appeared russian video where they were having similar vibrations and at the end it was the TQ AND the flywheel where 2 rivets were broken, makes me thinking.
Gearbox removal is due to be done soon anyways since i have a leaking rear main seal, car has more than 100.000k miles or 162.000km and i feel the convertors lockup is toast anyway. I can get those TQ rebuild for 400€ so i think about it anyway.

Originally Posted by Dr Matt
If you are certain your mounts are good and the vibration is happening in park like you said, I'd take off the accessory drive belt and try it again just to take out the possibility it is from any accessory driven by the belt. If that doesn't change it then it doesn't leave any easy possibilities unless your exhaust is rubbing on the chassis somewhere.
I think i will replace all 3 mounts again when i will change to Kleemann headers probably next month. Will try the belt thing then.